Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

drat, the first half of that episode was the most action-packed thing Homeland has done in a long-rear end time. The second half was much slower but it wasn't necessarily bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I liked all of it and I think this is a good season of TV. Lockhart is a bit silly though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Lockhart is easier to watch if you think of him as a teenage girl.

Seriously, rewatch the "negotiation" scene in the board room. He's on his phone not giving a gently caress about what Mom says.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Quinn's path of vengeance works out well and he kills Haqqani in bitchin' fashion, but Homeland loves to deliver the sad; so even if he manages to become a one man Seal Team 6 and finishes the job, he'll probably die.

The final shot of the season will be his fat girlfriend finding out the news.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gonz posted:

I hope Quinn's path of vengeance works out well and he kills Haqqani in bitchin' fashion, but Homeland loves to deliver the sad; so even if he manages to become a one man Seal Team 6 and finishes the job, he'll probably die.

The final shot of the season will be his fat girlfriend finding out the news.

Probably, which sucks. I'd rather have Quinn basically torture the living gently caress out of a bunch of people, kill Haqqani, and then up and quit and return to that girl and make a shot at living a simple life, like working on a farm or night security guard and making a go at a healthy relationship.

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

I think Quinn might be going after ISI rather than just Haqqani, given that he found the same phone on both the dead embassy guy and the ISI dude that he was getting ready to torture.

MetalFace
Jul 27, 2005
Join Us In Creating Excellence

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

drat, the first half of that episode was the most action-packed thing Homeland has done in a long-rear end time. The second half was much slower but it wasn't necessarily bad.

I thought the 'fallout' was just as interesting as the attack. Good stuff all around.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Swear to god I thought we were really going to get a beheading scene. I was holding my breath from the moment he noticed Fara. Who knew the weirdo cousin from season 1 had it in him to kill a guy? Between this whole episode and the previous one I'm a lot more up on Homeland than I've been since the end of season 2. Cut crazy Carrie and run with intricate diplomacy and the Quinn Bauer Power Hour and Showtime can take this thing for as many seasons as they want, provided nobody gets Lumberjacked at the end.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
At this point, it's just Carrie's BD vs. Quinn's PTSD.

I hope Carrie rats out the ISI because I cannot stand that ISI lady. I hope she is gone.

Also, lol at Dennis not being able to do it. Man, the writers are doing one hell of a job to crush this man.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Hand of the King posted:

Also, lol at Dennis not being able to do it. Man, the writers are doing one hell of a job to crush this man.

I didn't consider this outcome at the time but it's really really fantastic.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i keep thinking duck phillips had some sinister plan of clearing his name or something.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

^^^Oh god drat it^^^

I'm of the opinion they're going for the headfake on that one. It seems like a lot of trouble to go through to just have him chicken out on it. Personally I think he was doing whatever he could to setup his wife to take the fall. I actually had to go look and see that there were in fact more episodes this season because that just seemed off to me.

First he asked for her belt, which his wife would have no way of explaining how it got into his hands. Then he asks for his own belt but either way it looks like someone facilitated his suicide. Now all he has to say is that "My wife was the only other potential source for the leaked intel and she gave me the means to kill myself. She's covering her tracks, I'm innocent."

The other thought I had was that at a bare minimum, the Lance Corporal who removed his shoelaces, belt, anything he could use to off himself with is going to get screamed at.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yeah the fact that he asked for her belt, and then that his belt was in a locked (?) storage locker has sinister implications. His wife's reaction to finding out he was still alive was equal parts shame and doubt as well.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Things I learned from this episode:

1) The boss terrorist guy is really mean. :smith:

2) Beast Mode Quinn is the best thing in this show, and I'd be quite happy if the rest of this series/show is literally just him bringing the pain to bad dudes, with snappy one-liners.

3) British Pakistani guy is a cool dude and I hope he gets to dish out some justice.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

At a bare minimum he's going to be Agent 47 on the Hitman movie so there's that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The shoot out was very satisfying and brutal, Mr. CIA-director-what's-his-name delivering the list to Haqqani was extremely contrived, I guess it was supposed to contrast his character with Carrie's and prove that he's pretty much just a blustering all-talk kind of guy but it was a definite 'turn off your brains for a moment and bear with us' moment.

Haqqani and Quinn really stole the show these past two episodes, it's a shame that neither is likely to make it past the next one.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Wow, Chandler Bing killed a guy. Who would have thought.

I'm also surprised that the Private accompanying Quinn made it through the episode unscathed.
He even killed two terrorists! Two!

Ok, that's 1 less than Quinn did on their first terrorist takedown, but nonetheless.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
So Quinn is going to replicate Archer's cancer rampage next week right?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Poor guy just wanted his trousers to stay up.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I hope Saul isn't done. Surely he will be named CIA boss when the politician is ousted.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

There's no way Saul doesn't bounce back and go Jihad with Carrie. I swear this show is going to end in nuclear war.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Fragmented posted:

There's no way Saul doesn't bounce back and go Jihad with Carrie. I swear this show is going to end in nuclear war.

Carrie then sleeps with every terrorist to repopulate the Earth.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This all loops back around to the very first episode where Carrie tries to put the moves on Saul

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The shoot out was very satisfying and brutal, Mr. CIA-director-what's-his-name delivering the list to Haqqani was extremely contrived, I guess it was supposed to contrast his character with Carrie's and prove that he's pretty much just a blustering all-talk kind of guy but it was a definite 'turn off your brains for a moment and bear with us' moment.

Haqqani and Quinn really stole the show these past two episodes, it's a shame that neither is likely to make it past the next one.

All of a sudden when the hostage looks like the T-mobile girl, everybody gets all touchy-feely.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

This all loops back around to the very first episode where Carrie tries to put the moves on Saul

Holy poo poo. I totally had forgotten about that.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

mcbexx posted:

I'm also surprised that the Private accompanying Quinn made it through the episode unscathed.
He even killed two terrorists! Two!

Yeah that was a real surprise.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

Lockhart is easier to watch if you think of him as a teenage girl.

Seriously, rewatch the "negotiation" scene in the board room. He's on his phone not giving a gently caress about what Mom says.

The writers made very obvious that he has never seen combat and while he can talk tough, has no stomach for real in-your-face violence.

Fragmented posted:

Carrie: We've located Haqqani send in the drone!
Saul: gently caress that. Hello, US Missile Command? It's time for the nuclear option.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

The writers made very obvious that he has never seen combat and while he can talk tough, has no stomach for real in-your-face violence.

Thank you for that explanation on the 1-Dimensional character, being blind and listening to Described Video really doesn't get across all the nuances of Season 4 Homeland

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
hello goons, I trust your judgement, should I watch this season? After being burned by Dexter and Sons of Anarchy (I wish I could unwatch that poo poo), I now wait for potentially questionable seasons of shows I like to air so I can get goon opinions before jumping in.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Fatkraken posted:

hello goons, I trust your judgement, should I watch this season? After being burned by Dexter and Sons of Anarchy (I wish I could unwatch that poo poo), I now wait for potentially questionable seasons of shows I like to air so I can get goon opinions before jumping in.

Yes, you should.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I was skeptical but the most recent episodes have been batshit bonkers

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Should you watch Homeland? Do you like crazy women? Do you like semi-realistic 24? Do you like crazy women(gently caress and men, everyone on this show is bonkers)

Yes.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Can someone provide any reason besides "good guys don't use AK's" for as to why Quinn and the Private didn't pick up some firepower from the four guys they dropped in the basement? They knew they were going to be outnumbered and outgunned and did nothing to try to even the odds. Then again both their pistols seemed to have infinite bullets, so maybe they know something I don't.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Can someone provide any reason besides "good guys don't use AK's" for as to why Quinn and the Private didn't pick up some firepower from the four guys they dropped in the basement? They knew they were going to be outnumbered and outgunned and did nothing to try to even the odds. Then again both their pistols seemed to have infinite bullets, so maybe they know something I don't.

I am just going to speculate that they were more comfortable using weapons they have personally maintained and are carrying ammo for, than weapons used by terrorists that might jam or something.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Yeah using his own weapon was smart if he had bullets, I wasn't counting. And for bullet counting you can only do it by scene. gently caress now I have to watch again.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

redreader posted:

I am just going to speculate that they were more comfortable using weapons they have personally maintained and are carrying ammo for, than weapons used by terrorists that might jam or something.

It is standard training to pick up enemy guns and use them if a crazy situation like that were to arise in real life, particularly if you can go from handgun->rifle and become much more effective in a firefight as a result. They used to (probably still do) a drill with every marine who gets deployed where they have to run 25 meters, put together a fully stripped AK, load it and fire down range as quickly as possible. I'm sure the CIA training on using a variety of weapons in the field is much more thorough and nuanced so I'd guess a real agent would run a quick function check and use the AK in this situation. You can still holster the pistol and have it as a secondary anyway.

Choosing to use a pistol over a rifle in a firefight is decreasing your effectiveness by an order of magnitude or more, it's just a terrible idea.

This show has never been particularly realistic so I don't think it's worth thinking about too much, just enjoy the silly action.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 12, 2014

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Is that traning applied to Pakistan Taliban? I mean yeah in counterstrike I grab the AK but bullets don't jam in a videogame. I would rather have his cleaned twice a day piece(I'm guessing) than an AK from a mountain. But hey that's just me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fragmented posted:

Is that traning applied to Pakistan Taliban? I mean yeah in counterstrike I grab the AK but bullets don't jam in a videogame. I would rather have his cleaned twice a day piece(I'm guessing) than an AK from a mountain. But hey that's just me.

Yeah but unlike other guns, AKs can fire even if they have been inside a mountain

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I dunno, the pistols seemed to work out just fine for both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Fragmented posted:

Yep, this is part of the training as well. You're probably less willing to pick up and put your life behind an unknown found gun that tends to be finnicky if not treated well like say a 1911 vs a gun that will be perfectly reliable despite being dragged through manure ice salt water and never cleaned for years like say 99% of AK variants out there.

I dunno none of us are really privy to CIA training but I'd wager good money they are trained to pick up the AK (or 80% of rando guns they might come across) in this situation.

• Locked thread