Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Welp just found another coin I definitely need to send in for a grade reconsideration. If it goes up a grade it's worth $50,000 more than at current. :captainpop: That's worth double checking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Grand Fromage posted:

Welp just found another coin I definitely need to send in for a grade reconsideration. If it goes up a grade it's worth $50,000 more than at current. :captainpop: That's worth double checking.

Holy crap, what coin could possibly be worth so much more by going up a grade? :stare:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Super Waffle posted:

Holy crap, what coin could possibly be worth so much more by going up a grade? :stare:

I got one of these bois at 66: https://www.greysheet.com/coin-prices/item/1873-2c-red-closed-3-two-cent-piece-proof/2759

PR 66 is $9,000, 67 is $60,000. I'm not getting my hopes up but it's sure as poo poo worth the $50 or whatever for a second look.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

I got one of these bois at 66: https://www.greysheet.com/coin-prices/item/1873-2c-red-closed-3-two-cent-piece-proof/2759

PR 66 is $9,000, 67 is $60,000. I'm not getting my hopes up but it's sure as poo poo worth the $50 or whatever for a second look.

jesus loving christ my main man, post some pics

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

meat police posted:

jesus loving christ my main man, post some pics

Tough to light this one, though lighting is my constant bane. Scratches are all on the slab.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Holy crap I've never even heard of this coin, let alone seen one

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My dad had some good ones. He had another that he got re-certified (don't know which coin it was) and it went up to be the highest graded example in the world. Sold it and bought his house.

Of course if he'd put the same amount of money into index funds instead of coins he would've ended up with literally 20 times as much, but. That's fiat currency you know, after Obama causes the apocalypse only gold coins will be worth anything in the nuclear wasteland.

E: While I'm posting, are silver eagles worth anything more than silver value? I have a whole pile of them in their original boxes, various years back to the 80s. I haven't even started trying to dig through the pile of silver bullion, seems like it's going to be more of a pain than ebaying graded coins.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 4, 2021

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

E: While I'm posting, are silver eagles worth anything more than silver value? I have a whole pile of them in their original boxes, various years back to the 80s. I haven't even started trying to dig through the pile of silver bullion, seems like it's going to be more of a pain than ebaying graded coins.

A quick look on ampex has an '86 Brilliant Uncirculated at $86, but it drops off once the first year premium wears off: '87 is $47.50, with this year going for $36. I do not know what the Holy Red Book says regarding sale prices.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

A quick look on ampex has an '86 Brilliant Uncirculated at $86, but it drops off once the first year premium wears off: '87 is $47.50, with this year going for $36. I do not know what the Holy Red Book says regarding sale prices.

Ah, that's a handy site. Some of the graded old ones are pretty :eyepop:, might want to at least get my 80s ones graded.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Grand Fromage posted:

Tough to light this one, though lighting is my constant bane. Scratches are all on the slab.

Obvious die forgeries I'm afraid, the worst of the worst. I'll give you $100 for that lmfao.

But seriously, let us know if you get a higher grade, that's exciting stuff imho.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

meat police posted:

But seriously, let us know if you get a higher grade, that's exciting stuff imho.

If it goes up I will Never Stop Posting. Paying off nearly my entire student loan with a single coin sale would be something. :captainpop:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A plea to anyone in this thread who has kids: please organize your collections. I'm not complaining about randomly finding treasure in my dad's poo poo, but the fact that it's just scattered everywhere means I have to dig through literally every single box of garbage he hoarded over his entire life, because one out of a hundred has something valuable in it for no apparent reason. It sucks.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Grand Fromage posted:

A plea to anyone in this thread who has kids: please organize your collections. I'm not complaining about randomly finding treasure in my dad's poo poo, but the fact that it's just scattered everywhere means I have to dig through literally every single box of garbage he hoarded over his entire life, because one out of a hundred has something valuable in it for no apparent reason. It sucks.

My grandma died a few months ago. She had boxes and boxes and boxes in her house. Not full on hoarder gross or anything...just a ton of mostly junk stuff. We found jewelry hidden in shoes in her closet. Accounts from the 1980s from banks that have been acquired 4 times since then. A bag of coins in a broken suit case. (Nothing worth posting, mostly pocket change.) All in all about $100K of surprise money I doubt she knew she had along with thousands of photos that havent seen the light of day in 20 years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I have to dig through literally every single box of garbage he hoarded over his entire life

That was the plan.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello currency collecting thread!

SoonTM we'll be running a special short term RSF for goon collections, would y'all be interested in having this thread moved to that subforum for the duration of the RSF?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

corgski posted:

Hello currency collecting thread!

SoonTM we'll be running a special short term RSF for goon collections, would y'all be interested in having this thread moved to that subforum for the duration of the RSF?

Go for it. I'll have to post some coins with small backstories for fun, maybe someone will join our old man hobby.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

And welcome to Topic of the Week: Collections! Post your coins and stamps!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some of the coins I own:

(Elagabalus)

(Hadrian)

(A celtic coin)

(Nero)

(Vespasian)

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

By 1786, two-thirds of the coins in circulation in Britain were counterfeit, and the Royal Mint responded by shutting itself down, worsening the situation. The only way to continue was for privatized currency to exist--thus Matthew Boulton minted coins for the East India Company.

On January 24th, 1809, Captain Eastfield sailed from the Downs, bound for Madras and Bengal with a whole bunch of coinage, at the start of Admiral Gardner's sixth voyage for the company. The next day Admiral Gardner was lost on the Goodwin Sands off South Foreland when a gale tore her from her moorings. Five crew members drowned.

You can find them pretty drat cheap on ebay, etc.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

In the late 1800’s the U.S. created a special silver-backed commercial dollar to compete with other silver-backed currency during their trade with East Asia. Around 36 million Trade Dollars were minted for circulation from July, 1873 until April, 1878–it represents one of the U.S.’ shortest lived numismatic series.

420 grains .. nice

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

meat police posted:

In the late 1800’s the U.S. created a special silver-backed commercial dollar to compete with other silver-backed currency during their trade with East Asia. Around 36 million Trade Dollars were minted for circulation from July, 1873 until April, 1878–it represents one of the U.S.’ shortest lived numismatic series.

420 grains .. nice

Nice I’ve always wanted a trade dollar. Also had no idea the importance of the silver dollar to trade with Asia. Wiki has a lot more on this too

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

CarForumPoster posted:

Nice I’ve always wanted a trade dollar. Also had no idea the importance of the silver dollar to trade with Asia. Wiki has a lot more on this too

silver you say? funny you mention that

In the late 1970’s two brothers began buying up silver. These were no ordinary purchases as the brothers were Nelson and Lamar Hunt, descendants of the well known Oil Tycoon H.L. Hunt. Their aim? To corner Silver in the commodities market and cause a surge in pricing. Although their official reasoning was that they were simply hedging against the inflation happening to the US dollar at the time.

At one point it’s estimated they owned one-third of the entire world’s supply of silver driving prices to unseen levels. In an attempt to drive down prices, the U.S.’s Defense Logistics Agency dumped some 165 million ounces of silver into the open market. Even though it holds no real value outside of regular bullion rates it's a cool piece of history, and half the fun of coin collecting is the history behind it all.

can be usually found at spot prices

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

In the 1770s the Spanish Louisiana Territory’s economy was faltering due to paper money that was not backed by silver or gold. Carlos III, King of Spain, decided to replace it with valuable Spanish silver coins. They loaded up the El Cazador with 37,500lbs of silver coinage (over a cool 12 million in today's value). King Carlos III enlisted his most trusted captain, Gabriel de Campos y Pineda, to command the ship. On 11 January 1784 she left for New Orleans. "Watch this lmao" was heard as she was sailing off, and was never heard from again.

With no money coming into the territory they were forced to sell back to the French, who in turn sold it to the US at one hell of a discount. The 8 reales was commonly known as "pieces of 8" because for bartering they'd cut it into 8 pieces like some kind of hosed up pizza.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

All right nerds I got a mystery. I'm going through a box of proof/uncirculated sets to hock and I found a 1992 P and D uncirculated set where my dad left a label saying "x neck quarter". The other 92s aren't labeled. I have no idea what this means and my searching has failed me. Anybody heard of this?

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Off the top of my head maybe something inconspicuous w/ one of the necks, like a grease mark or die crack during minting. Even with a big gently caress-off magnifier I’ve been terrible at identifying them :(

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Silly question time, is there a preferred banknote/currency album or do you all just use the loose BCW pages? I've run out of room in the fancy Whitman leatherette album I got and want one that can hold more notes anyways.

The collection is primarily US notes (I seem to attract star notes pretty well) and around those proportions though there are a few large outliers like deustchemarks from the interwar hyper inflation period. Nothing's graded; I'm just hoarding weird crap and want to keep it neat and contained.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
I've been using the BCW display sheets for my bank notes and they seem to work just fine in my experience.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Nice, I was leaning towards them because one box of 100 sheets and a nice binder will keep me set forever. What touched this off was stumbling across a one dollar star note in my wallet today and realizing I got no space for it.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Debating if it's worth picking up a Mint set from Canada/Australia/UK this year, or do I press my luck we get Queen Elizabeth on coins in '22.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was directed here from the "what poo poo do you collect" thread because my stepdad died, we're going through his house, and we're finding a wide variety of coins, some legal tender, some not, like a 1962 World's Fair coin. the original post I made:

My stepdad was absolutely obsessed with coins, and he left...a LOT of coins behind when he died. his kids took the majority of them(literally scooped the visible gold and silver graded coins up into a bin and hauled it off), but we've found some amongst his things as well, and it'd be interesting to get some more info on some. Lots of largely obsolete foreign coins, a few US coins I saw that are from the 1800s, very old paper bills from a bunch of countries(almost none in great condition, probably nothing worth much but are still very neat), handfuls of graded silver coins and proof sets that fell off from his coin shelf, that sort of thing. he was an immense hoarder and while sifting through the literal 2-3 foot deep layer of stuff on his bedroom floor, there were quite a few coins amongst the literal garbage, as well as about 40lbs of regular loose change, wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, half dollars, etc. if something fell in the pile, it simply sank into it, like a prehistoric creature into a tar pit.

edit: some of the stuff we found:

it's bewildering going through a true hardcore hoarder's stuff. there were silver dollars in a bag along with trash like empty deodorant bottles and melted 20-year-old candy in it. tons of clothes he wore once and tossed into a pile that is luckily salvageable enough to be donated. an antique pocketwatch mixed in a bag with a bunch of used medical supplies.

It's so sad. he never showed this side of himself to anyone outside his biological kids and my mom, he never let me inside his house, and now I know why. even mom is shocked at the extent of things, she saw the surface of the piles but never knew what was in them since he would lose his mind whenever she did ANYTHING to ANYTHING in his house, it's why they didn't live together and he usually visited our house instead of his. an incredible, intelligent, kind, compassionate man, traumatized throughout his life which led him down this path. it just makes me regret not getting to know him better and maybe being able to help him with this stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

it's bewildering going through a true hardcore hoarder's stuff. there were silver dollars in a bag along with trash like empty deodorant bottles and melted 20-year-old candy in it. tons of clothes he wore once and tossed into a pile that is luckily salvageable enough to be donated. an antique pocketwatch mixed in a bag with a bunch of used medical supplies.

Hey there, buddy. Same. It's no fun. I still have two storage units stacked to the ceiling I need to get the antiques consignment place to dig through.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a good place to find a reputable appraiser, specifically in the boston area?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

My younger daughter just lost her first tooth and told me she hopes the tooth fairy brings her a coin like daddy's flipping coin instead of cash (I keep a 1901 German Imperial Funf Mark in my wallet I use for flipping on heads/tails decisions), and of course I was thrilled to oblige. Left her a Newfoundland half dollar which she was ecstatic to receive and has been practicing flipping it lol, but now I'm afraid I've put myself in a position where I have to give her old hefty silver coins every time she loses a tooth. Probably gonna head down to London Coin Center and pick up a bag of bulk halfs to leave for her (and maybe the older one too if she asks for them lol).

Shopping around for coins again for the first time in a while though and I've been thinking about buying more. I have a pretty large collection of Canadian circulation silver, but when I last stopped buying I had picked up a few Imperial marks because they caught my eye. Would love to buy a bunch more of the 1, 3 and 5 mark coins, anyone have a good source for those kinds of coins? Been looking on eBay which isn't great for fair deals, but would prefer some Euro auction site or something so I can buy in bulk, get a more reasonable price, and save on shipping.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
So I know very little about coins and have no interest in putting any real money into this, but I'm fascinated by history and by the emperor Elagabalus in particular, and I've seen a lot of listings for his coins on Ebay for surprisingly cheap. How likely is the copper coin Roman coin I buy on Ebay for $20 to be genuine?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

So I know very little about coins and have no interest in putting any real money into this, but I'm fascinated by history and by the emperor Elagabalus in particular, and I've seen a lot of listings for his coins on Ebay for surprisingly cheap. How likely is the copper coin Roman coin I buy on Ebay for $20 to be genuine?
Coins that are $20 are not worth counterfeiting I wouldn’t think. Buy coins graded by reputable companies like PCGS or NGC (the kind in plastic containers) if you’re worried about it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Most Roman coins are very common, there are literally billions of them and they aren't worth much. eBay also has a lot of scammers. If you want to be sure it's genuine, you can buy a graded one or ask in Xenopus' coin selling thread over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884740

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

CarForumPoster posted:

Coins that are $20 are not worth counterfeiting I wouldn’t think. Buy coins graded by reputable companies like PCGS or NGC (the kind in plastic containers) if you’re worried about it.

Or at least buy it from a reputable dealer. I actually sell coins for a living now. NGC and PCGH are what we use for everything graded that we sell.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
starting to go through some of the graded coins to sell, to put towards getting new siding on the house. hopefully these fetch a decent amount.

there's a fair few more of the graded morgan dollars, but this is what I've set to sell so far. the ICG one is weirdly golden on the tails side, while the heads side is very clearly silver. interesting.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Captain Invictus posted:

starting to go through some of the graded coins to sell, to put towards getting new siding on the house. hopefully these fetch a decent amount.
there's a fair few more of the graded morgan dollars, but this is what I've set to sell so far. the ICG one is weirdly golden on the tails side, while the heads side is very clearly silver. interesting.

That's called toning, and it can either greatly increase or decrease the value depending on the collector. You've got a nice collection here, make sure to check values in the red book before you sell them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's all toning? I thought the darker part was toning and the lighter part was...something else idk

Should I go by red book(?) prices, or recent ebay sold listing prices? Since the graded stuff is easily searchable for a pretty accurate representation of what they currently go for on there, just coin name, ms, and grader and there's generally a bunch of results.

Already learned from some aggressive dude that the ntc one is unlistable on ebay because they're not a reputable grader, which is a shame. But the other two seem to be about 75ish each. There used to be a coin store my dad would take me to as a kid, but they shut down a few years ago. It's still there but empty. Wish I could talk to the dude who ran it.