Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Lindsey is winning the award for worst person on the You're The Worst this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Despite my love for the show, I think I'm close to admitting that Lindsey's storyline this year has not been good at all. Just a total regression for her and Paul, without any real momentum.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Narcissus1916 posted:

Despite my love for the show, I think I'm close to admitting that Lindsey's storyline this year has not been good at all. Just a total regression for her and Paul, without any real momentum.

Nah it's still great, it's just stopped being a comedy and morphed into a Lars Von Trier movie for her segments.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Khablam posted:

Holy poo poo poor Paul. Odds on Vernon being jealous?

:dance:

I loved this weird bottle episode.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Paul & Vern road trip was great.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Haha, them jacking off into the fire to become men again was brilliant.

This road trip ep was just great. :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This season is really missing a strong narrative through-line but when the episodes are this funny I honestly don't care so much.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
It does make me wonder where they are gonna go with the finale. But focusing on the other characters is perfect for this show because the supporting cast is so great.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone must have been watching Baseball tonight, huh. It's a shame that Edgar and Dorothy's relationship is definitely on it's last legs, but there's nothing more dooming for a relationship (outside of obvious fuckups) like career success for one person but not the other, and that goes double if that success is in a field both are in, whether it's on purpose or by chance.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dorothy and Edgar have always kind of struck me as a transition couple. They're both something the other needed/wanted to boost their confidence and break them out of ruts, and they care about each other and get along. But Edgar seems closer to Jimmy, Gretchen, and even Lindsay and didn't involve her on most of the PTSD stuff. And she just kept lying to him and telling jokes instead of just telling him she was having a terrible day, which is basically the same defense mechanism she had with him when they started. There's no real growth or intimacy there.

Its weird that Jimmy and Gretchen are kind of the best relationship on the show. They actually kind of talk about their messed up stuff and try and be supportive as best as they can. I mean, I guess that's the point in its these two terrible people who come together and kind of work better than the sum of their parts, but its weird when you see it with all these other Lindsay/Paul and Vernon/Becca relationships that are just disasters. And I think Dorothy/Edgar are kind of a low key/nicer version of that. They're not hostile to each other, but they seem like they're kind of wasting each other's time.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The first time I watched this show I stopped halfway through the first season because I didn't particularly like any of the characters. Now all I want is for them to be happy with eachother (except Lindsay, who redefines terrible).

I was glad to see Jimmy not completely reject his writing. Hopefully this leads to him integrating his issues with his father into himself, becoming a happier person, and maybe listening to Gretchen about the whole therapy thing. Bonus points if he ends up seeing Poussey too.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Why hasn't this shown up on my Amazon video yet? It's usually up by the time I get home from work.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Sweet holy mother it was fabulous to see Doug Benson playing "against type" in this episode. "I'LL CALL YOU FROM THE CHOPPER!"

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Medullah posted:

Sweet holy mother it was fabulous to see Doug Benson playing "against type" in this episode. "I'LL CALL YOU FROM THE CHOPPER!"

This is a place of business!

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Man when Jimmy was tearing up looking at Gretchen through the window I totally thought he was gonna propose and Gretchen was gonna freak out. Color me surprised and bummed out!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mameluke posted:

The first time I watched this show I stopped halfway through the first season because I didn't particularly like any of the characters. Now all I want is for them to be happy with eachother (except Lindsay, who redefines terrible).
Eating pie, getting abobo, eating pie.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Breathing.

Somehow I missed an episode during traveling and ended up watching the last two in the opposite order. Paul is gonna be so devastated when he learns about LIndsay's abobo... which I suspect might not be immediately :allears:

plz dont pull out posted:

Man when Jimmy was tearing up looking at Gretchen through the window I totally thought he was gonna propose and Gretchen was gonna freak out. Color me surprised and bummed out!
Didn't that already happen in S1 with a pretty bummer outcome too?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't that already happen in S1 with a pretty bummer outcome too?

No that was Becca.

Unless you're thinking of the keys.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gretchen finds the ring and assumes it's for her then in the s1 finale is all "you know what sure let's try it" and finds out the truth and it's all awkward

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Finally showed up in my Amazon queue last night. I wonder why it took so long?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I feel like I missed something but who is the random kid that has been in the past several episodes at Jimmy and Gretchen's?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He's Jimmy's neighbour. He's been in the show since the first episode. Puberty's just hit him hard.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Poor kid, he just wants Jimmy to be good father figure because his real dad left!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

And whatever is in Jimmy's fridge, because he's been abandoned with no means of support

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god those continuous shots in the wedding avenue. That must have been a nightmare to film unless there was some trick I'm missing to them.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

MiddleOne posted:

Oh my god those continuous shots in the wedding avenue. That must have been a nightmare to film unless there was some trick I'm missing to them.
Same thing I was thinking. Really cool.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

This show quickly went from "Oh that looks kind of funny" viewing on Hulu to "How the hell does this show not have everyone raving about it?" in a very sorry time. Some of the best acting (Gretchen's depression and Edgar's PTSD were both amazing) and I grew to realize the camera work was fantastic too.

It really is advertised terribly. I thought it was just a milder It's Always Sunny clone based on the commercials. It needs some award love.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Second all the above.

Also Jesus gently caress put yourself in Paul's shoes for one second and the edge of a bridge looks pretty nice about now.

I suppose in the same vein, the one negative about the show is Lindsey is getting pretty flanderised this season. I hope it reins in a bit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Awesome episode but I think my one issue with this season is that it doesn't feel like any of the conflict has come all that naturally....feels just a lil more manufactured than seasons 1-2.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Escobarbarian posted:

Awesome episode but I think my one issue with this season is that it doesn't feel like any of the conflict has come all that naturally....feels just a lil more manufactured than seasons 1-2.

i think that makes it more true tbh. like once you really start spending time together you learn more poo poo and that causes conflicts that would seem absurd during the start of a relationship. then again this is literally my favorite show in the world so whatever lol. y opinions are unreliable

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah tbf this is still one of my favourite shows of the year and mostly on a scene-by-scene basis it works as well as ever. just a few things (Doug Benson mainly but also I feel Jimmy's existential crisis didn't have quite enough buildup to land like it should) feel a lil more contrived than before.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
"You stabbed me, cuckholded me, and ruined my life." *leans in* "better lawyer up bitch"
Fantastic.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
WOW.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
Holy hell amazing ending to the season the next season will be full of heartbreak for sure.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Solid writing and acting, as always. Looking forward to next season, hope to get more Becca this time. It all depends on whether Stan Against Evil gets renewed I guess.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The continuing adventures of Pizzaguy quitting sweet rear end gigs is my favorite running gag of this show.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Amazon, get your poo poo together. Episode 13 is up but not 12? C'mon

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

yeah tbf this is still one of my favourite shows of the year and mostly on a scene-by-scene basis it works as well as ever. just a few things (Doug Benson mainly but also I feel Jimmy's existential crisis didn't have quite enough buildup to land like it should) feel a lil more contrived than before.

I think the season was great, but I do agree about Jimmy's crisis. I don't think it was handled as well as Gretchen's last year.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
drat what an end. As soon as as Gretchen said the f word at the end, I was wishing that Jimmy not do the obviously Jimmy thing and burn everything down.

To be fair, Jimmy is massively hosed up and is not handling his father's death well at all...

What a loving show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo those last two episodes were GREAT GREAT GREAT. Still think Jimmy's emotional arc was a little weak overall, and Gretchen got a little too shafted this season (I get it after giving her so much focus in s2, but it's weird we're meant to believe she changed so much because of therapy when we don't see any of it), but atm I'm happy to put this alongside the others.

And that ending. Saw it coming as soon as she said the f-word too, but jesus. So loving powerful.

• Locked thread