Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My favorite cooking book will always remain The Food Lab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Good Eats is great for beginners. It was invaluable to me when I was first really getting into cooking because he explained the whys behind things which is super important because the underlying reasons can be applied to so many other applications in the kitchen. That's not to say it's JUST for beginners though, I've never made chicken parm because he's right, they usually pretty much suck. I kinda want to try this one. So there's something for everyone but there will be episodes that I'll just check out in the middle of, I'm sure. Another thing to warn you of, his recipes do tend to be rather basic and not all that great but again, that's the nature of keeping it simple enough so it's not intimidating for beginners.

If you guys like Good Eats, certainly check out America's Test Kitchen as they do the same science based cooking but in a much less silly way and the complication of recipes shoots up very dramatically so ATK may be a put off at first to beginners. I've learned over the years that there are some steps both shows recommend that are totally not worth the effort for what you get. Best example I can think of is the Good Eats one where he made tater tots. I tried and gently caress that. It took for loving ever and it tasted the exact same as a bag of Ore Ida tots.

Yeah if you're watching Good Eats properly you're not slavishly following the recipe down to the letter because that completely misses the point and that's exactly the type of crap Alton was trying to do better than in the first place. You pay attention to the process of cooking and the reasoning behind why the ingredients are prepared and used how they are and the recipe is more like a blueprint than an instruction manual. The most fun part is watching an episode, and then your brain pulls out a memory of another unrelated episode that just so happened to have an ingredient that's used in much the same way as in the one you're watching and the little light bulb in your brain turns on and you're like "hey, wait a second, I think I can replace this ingredient with that ingredient, I wonder how that would turn out?" and suddenly you're actually cooking rather than merely preparing a recipe :v:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yep, this new season can apparently get a lot of mileage just out of having Alton skulk about dark parking garages to sinister music---the recipes are just an accent to the goings on to spark your memory and get you to tinkering. Looks like ancient grain doings will comprise the rest of the double tv premiere proper tonight.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

wormil posted:

I learned more from Michael Smith than anyone, wish his show had more seasons.

Chef at Home was my poo poo. Chill and relaxing show. Too bad there isn't a full archive of those episodes that I'm aware of - just a few YT vids.

anakha fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 25, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

anakha posted:

Chef at Home was my poo poo. Chill and relaxing show. Too bad there isn't a full archive of those episodes that I'm aware of - just a few YT vids.

There is one season of Michael Smith on Amazon Prime, forget which show.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Very much enjoying Supermarket Stakeout. Guarnaschelli being this fun is new to me, and I’m liking it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jon Favreau’s Chef Show is back with more eps next Friday Sep 13th.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I've enjoyed the first batch of new good eats episodes. Glad it is back and hopefully he'll be a resource for young cooks like he was for me

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

This Sunday’s Good Eats are followed by a previously unaired ep of Cutthroat Kitchen. :dance:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I heard it was unaired because it's the only one where someone's throat actually gets cut

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I prefer the skit light episodes of Good Eats, like sauce, over episodes like grain that felt padded out.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I've been watching some of SORTED's channel lately. They seem really nice. And most of the time for the kitchen gadgets that are "useless" help people with dexterity problems.

Maybe not in this one though, this one's old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsl-y8VK4ts

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I heard it was unaired because it's the only one where someone's throat actually gets cut

Considering the human trash bags that turn up sometimes on that show, I’m surprising it’s not more common.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish Good Eats would get back onto Hulu along with some more Cutthroat Kitchen, I love it when cooking shows are less "make this" and more "make something probably edible"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Holy poo poo, the clown. :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RBA Starblade posted:

I wish Good Eats would get back onto Hulu along with some more Cutthroat Kitchen, I love it when cooking shows are less "make this" and more "make something probably edible"

Discovery is really weird about their licensing for streaming. Like, they'll throw on a half-dozen random episodes of ICA and Restaurant Impossible, then leave them up there for two years.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Whalley posted:

He never did Australian meat pies even though i submitted it as a food wish like twenty times :mad:

(I love Chef John and can't be mad at him)

Australian meat pies are a beautiful fusion of the worst parts of a british steak pie and scotch pie.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Catfishenfuego posted:

Australian meat pies are a beautiful fusion of the worst parts of a british steak pie and scotch pie.

Gravy, gristle and shortcrust pastry?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And floating in soup.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Timby posted:

Discovery is really weird about their licensing for streaming. Like, they'll throw on a half-dozen random episodes of ICA and Restaurant Impossible, then leave them up there for two years.

I like how Chopped is just a random assortment of whatever

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The new Claire recreates whatever video is 40 minutes. This is ridiculous.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The new Claire recreates whatever video is 40 minutes. This is ridiculous.

It wasn't as agonizing as Starburst but every step seemed needlessly complicated.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Not that anyone aside from youtube weirdos actually recreate these gourmet makes, but lol @ "Drill holes into the top of a salad spinner" as being one of the steps.

The M&Ms looked like poo poo when she was done, too. I think she's run out of fucks.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Just let her go back to making baked goods and poo poo, hostess still has a bunch of things that we need to see gourmet versions of. Quit torturing her with candy

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Just let her go back to making baked goods and poo poo, hostess still has a bunch of things that we need to see gourmet versions of. Quit torturing her with candy

Yeah she seemed to have fun doing Pop Tarts and actually seems proud of the output instead of just being happy the episode is done.

I think the problem, though, with the hostess products and similar are that they've probably been done a lot. I've definitely seen homemade Twinkies, for example.

I'd be interested to see if she can do things like Triscuits or a standard saltine.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
There's a Hot Pockets episode coming up for her.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

The_Doctor posted:

And floating in soup.

Only fuckwits do that

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

was gonna watch last night's good eats episodes on my DVR but it turned out to be a guy Ferrari show. How dare you, food network

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Oh good, it wasn't just me; that was some bullshit.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The raw meat one was the perhaps most unintentionally unsettling piece of television Alton has ever produced---talk about not reading the room. Should've just lampooned playing chess with Death or something, Connect Four maybe.

Also got schedule bamboozled, luckily the OnDemand thing had both episodes since they've chosen the fool's path of not just throwing them up on YT like they did the premiere.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Not that anyone aside from youtube weirdos actually recreate these gourmet makes, but lol @ "Drill holes into the top of a salad spinner" as being one of the steps.

The M&Ms looked like poo poo when she was done, too. I think she's run out of fucks.

I've done the oreos, though i also didn't do any of the molding or anything.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For anyone like me who ever felt they could be better at breaking down chicken, this video is gold.

https://youtu.be/2z7KU7WHr3M

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

wormil posted:

For anyone like me who ever felt they could be better at breaking down chicken, this video is gold.

https://youtu.be/2z7KU7WHr3M

Thank you for reminding me of Martin Yan and his amazing chicken butchering skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWZinnCaZw

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Brad's noodling part 1 dropped today!

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Grem posted:

Poor Matty

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Grem posted:

Part 2 just went up!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

White ramen guy makes curry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvyeJTRK_CA

I know I'm making glorious nipponese curry tonight

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Grem posted:

There's a Hot Pockets episode coming up for her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BriBDiBxaMY

She is actually having fun this time

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 25, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Mu Zeta posted:

White ramen guy makes curry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvyeJTRK_CA

I know I'm making glorious nipponese curry tonight

I made this. Was way better than the first time I tried making that boxed curry with chicken thigh. I think the pork and a good stock are what make it great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Yeah but it seems the concept of "gourmet" is getting lost. I thought it was creating good versions of junk food, not recreating junk food. I turned it off halfway so maybe it switched up at some point but she spent ten minutes talking about Hot Pocket ingredients, texture, etc.