Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There is still exceedingly little point even for a sandbox but then sometimes that's just life. The tech tree is getting deep enough that there is a lot to do before you realize the pointlessness of existence though especially compared to the first page when the game was just like the barest of frameworks of a gas finite element sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There isn't really an end state for the game unless you play it forever and flat run out of things to mine, but there are enough challenges to make it interesting for a while. You'll get everything set up just as you want to be self sustaining right until you realize that your farm isn't productive because it's hot enough to cook eggs in there, etc

It's certainly good enough to play, it's just that major updates are frequent enough that playing each one is a bit of a burnout. I try for every other one.

It's not as bad as something like Subnautica, where they put in something new and you have to go through a massive amount of work to get up to speed again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've had the game for about ~3 weeks now and am starting to run dry on things to do until the next update. As others have said there's no end game right now but there are a few distinct phases:

Phase 1: Expand your base, get the necessities in, research what looks cool.
Phase 2: Oh god you're running out of everything and you needed oxygen/food/power scaled up three cycles ago and there's still so much research you need aaaaaaahhhhhh
Phase 3: You get everything stabilized and mostly everything researched, but you're dying a slow death due to heat and have to expand into cold biomes and re-engineer all your existing solutions to not slowly cook your base off.

Phase 1 is relaxing, phase 2 is easily the most fun and it took me a couple fresh starts to finally get past it, and phase 3 (where I'm at now) starts off interesting but takes a long time and starts to get tedious. Hopefully whatever story/endgoal they eventually put in will pick up the slack here.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The annoying thing at the moment is that it's absolutely viable and probably optimal to stay at 3-5 dupes and do nothing but excavate and research the entire tree because there's no requirement for plastic or any created product as a higher tier research material, and 3-5 dupes basic are easy to feed with mush or muckroots and heat isn't an issue when you only have an outhouse.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's really no need for plastics in general. Dirt cots fill up stamina perfectly fine so comfy beds are just there to look nice, and plastic ladders/tiles take way too much effort for the minor benefits they return.

I agree the game could definitely do with more research requirements. Factorio has a pretty good solution of requiring new types of research vials that scale up in complexity to produce, so you're forced to go through the effort of expanding your factory and leveraging new technology in order to pump out the necessary volume and type of vials. It's way too easy to blow through research right now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sydin posted:

There's really no need for plastics in general. Dirt cots fill up stamina perfectly fine so comfy beds are just there to look nice, and plastic ladders/tiles take way too much effort for the minor benefits they return.

I agree the game could definitely do with more research requirements. Factorio has a pretty good solution of requiring new types of research vials that scale up in complexity to produce, so you're forced to go through the effort of expanding your factory and leveraging new technology in order to pump out the necessary volume and type of vials. It's way too easy to blow through research right now.

I support locking research being more gates (top tier stuff requiring plastic would be cool) but it's kind of hard to see where to draw the line. You would have to have your base be researched enough to survive until you found oil, but not so far that you didn't need it. A lot for the top tier stuff is nice but only necessary for 100% efficiency. A base that is going to last a decent amount of time is going to need a water purifier, for example, but an slime purifier is not necessary for a good long time.

Some of the new things feel like they need more technological distance, for sure. What is the point of letting the rock crusher poorly refine metal if the actual metal refinery is one cycle away

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sydin posted:

The framework is there for complex research since there's already the two research types which require different raw inputs and processing time. I hope it's just being cautious about balancing the inputs so that you don't hit walls in front of things you need to prevent a cascade failure. So they may want a more complete resource ecosystem before overhauling research.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rimworld has a pretty good system for research but it's less of a matter of a great system and more that the world is so ridiculously hostile that you have to *survive* long enough to research stuff.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I start every game with two out of three dupes with high science scores. I build a basic base during the first few cycles, then research the entire tech tree upfront with the two science dupes while the third one runs errands. Once all research is done, I deconstruct the research desk and supercomputer and repurpose the room for something else. That's usually cycle 15 or so.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
In about 7 hours (8:00 PM PDT) I'm gonna be streaming this right here if you want to watch a bunch of hapless dupes doomed to cook in their own juices and an ever expanding cloud of CO2.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 5, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
they sort of listened! A new, real reason for plastic! Transit Tubes!
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/85205-tubular-upgrade-preview-and-holiday-break/

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bhodi posted:

they sort of listened! A new, real reason for plastic! Transit Tubes!
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/85205-tubular-upgrade-preview-and-holiday-break/

gently caress I just started playing a different game

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oh hey, something to actually do with plastic :shepface:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So do you have to build the tubes like regular plumbing? Can they overlay with plumbing? Are these basically the people tubes from Futurama?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Speedball posted:

So do you have to build the tubes like regular plumbing? Can they overlay with plumbing? Are these basically the people tubes from Futurama?

I suspect they'll be another logistics layer like power/plumbing/vents?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, seems to be another layer, based on screenshots. Some of them were showing underwater tubes.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You can play with it now in the preview branch

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sheesh, growing crops with specific atmospheric, pressure and temperature requirements is nuts. I'm doing fine with just meal lice cooked into liceloafs for now but yowza.

I managed to get a pretty good base in my current run, I found a chlorine geyser for the first time (why? Is that for decontaminating stuff?) and a natural gas geyser. I'm still digging around hoping to find a water geyser.

This was my first time trying to mess around with a natural gas generator. I built an airlock around it before unsealing it, so there's not too much gas contamination in the rest of my base. It is very powerful and runs off a regenerating resource, but god drat it is sloppy. It pukes out CO2 way more than the coal generator and drips polluted water right on the ground beneath it. I've got some CO2 scrubbers set up in its output area; they send dirty water over to my purification plant, so I've got a lot of reclaimed water right now.

I guess if I wanted to start a mushroom farm I could build it in the CO2 area too, since they grow in CO2.

Question: Does petroleum only appear in biomes far DOWN or if I dig in any direction am I likely to encounter it?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Tenebrais posted:

I suspect they'll be another logistics layer like power/plumbing/vents?

Nope, it's at the building layer. It can't go through any building tile including ladders and walls (there's a separate wall similar to the heavi-watt wall plate for walls though) That didn't stop me from making a giant loop around my base with 6 different stops! I'm not sure how much time it saves (a little) but it sure is fun to watch them pop out! I run on max speed so the zipping around isn't animated.

Speedball posted:

Sheesh, growing crops with specific atmospheric, pressure and temperature requirements is nuts. I'm doing fine with just meal lice cooked into liceloafs for now but yowza.

I managed to get a pretty good base in my current run, I found a chlorine geyser for the first time (why? Is that for decontaminating stuff?) and a natural gas geyser. I'm still digging around hoping to find a water geyser.

This was my first time trying to mess around with a natural gas generator. I built an airlock around it before unsealing it, so there's not too much gas contamination in the rest of my base. It is very powerful and runs off a regenerating resource, but god drat it is sloppy. It pukes out CO2 way more than the coal generator and drips polluted water right on the ground beneath it. I've got some CO2 scrubbers set up in its output area; they send dirty water over to my purification plant, so I've got a lot of reclaimed water right now.

I guess if I wanted to start a mushroom farm I could build it in the CO2 area too, since they grow in CO2.

Question: Does petroleum only appear in biomes far DOWN or if I dig in any direction am I likely to encounter it?
Yes, just dig straight down and you'll hit it.

Cooking/meals isn't very useful at the moment since you can feed your people on raw meal lice if you have enough plants or you squeeze them into liceloafs if you need to make the food stretch. Most food converts into less calories and if you have enough decor and your dupes aren't getting sopping wet and hypothermia all the time, you can easily handle the negative stress of eating substandard food, at least until you can start your sleet wheat farm.

mushrooms are also real good in a lazy way but they grow much slower. CO2 is easy, just build them below everything else.

Chlorine geyser has no use, currently.

Here are two pictures you might find useful

https://imgur.com/a/PfO5k
https://imgur.com/a/AbK5Z#YYUqoXA

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 15, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Everyone's bases are so big and clean. I guess once you get a good enough economy going you can just totally mine out a huge area and turn it into a more efficient building space? Hm. Gonna have to use a lot of ladders and deconstruct them after to get it all going.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Wow. How are you powering so many natural gas generators? I can only power about 3.5 generators off one geyser. (Three running constantly and one running when the gas backs up).

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Travic posted:

Wow. How are you powering so many natural gas generators? I can only power about 3.5 generators off one geyser. (Three running constantly and one running when the gas backs up).

The fertilizers make natural gas; it's all calculated and it's the proper ratio. The only thing you need to do is have a filter that only sends natural gas down the pipe to the left and sends everything else outside, and an additional return at the top of the left that sends natural gas over to and exits on the right with a high pressure vent - at least until it's pure co2 on the left and natural gas on the right. Add water to the scrubbers and you're good to go. Be warned it does produce a good amount of heat!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Everyone's bases are so big and clean. I guess once you get a good enough economy going you can just totally mine out a huge area and turn it into a more efficient building space? Hm. Gonna have to use a lot of ladders and deconstruct them after to get it all going.
I pretty much start the base the same way every time, 4 tile high and 18 tile long rooms with a space and ladder on each side. I dig one above, one below, then on the right of the portal across the ladder i make the bathroom and underneath it the mess hall. Below the portal i build machines and above go the beds. Med and massage chairs next to the portal. Those central two ladders and the rooms between make up the core of my base. Down are generally the farms, then i tunnel left and right to try and find the geysers and ice biome for wheezewarts.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Bhodi posted:

The fertilizers make natural gas; it's all calculated and it's the proper ratio. The only thing you need to do is have a filter that only sends natural gas down the pipe to the left and sends everything else outside, and an additional return at the top of the left that sends natural gas over to and exits on the right with a high pressure vent - at least until it's pure co2 on the left and natural gas on the right. Add water to the scrubbers and you're good to go. Be warned it does produce a good amount of heat!

So how do you prevent everything inside from melting? And where does all that fertilizer go, anyway?

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Bhodi posted:

Oh very cool. I've never used fertilizers in game before. I'll have to try that. I also have my pump in as small a space as possible with the geyser to keep the pressure up. Are bigger rooms better?

Bhodi posted:

I pretty much start the base the same way every time, 4 tile high and 18 tile long rooms with a space and ladder on each side. I dig one above, one below, then on the right of the portal across the ladder i make the bathroom and underneath it the mess hall. Below the portal i build machines and above go the beds. Med and massage chairs next to the portal. Those central two ladders and the rooms between make up the core of my base. Down are generally the farms, then i tunnel left and right to try and find the geysers and ice biome for wheezewarts.

This is pretty much what I do as well. Very efficient and neat.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

So how do you prevent everything inside from melting? And where does all that fertilizer go, anyway?
It just gets dropped on the ground. I made it one tile wider and have a ladder and locked airlocks for easy access if you want to scoop them up. I never have needed it, myself. You want the fertilizers in the same room as the geyser since they output gas as well, and bigger rooms aren't necessarily better but they do allow more buffering. If you build the machines out of gold alum it won't melt and for myself I only insulate the side facing my base and I let the other side bleed the heat out unrestricted.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ughhh, I can't get a handle on what I'm doing wrong regarding circuit overloads. Do I need more power transformers everywhere and fewer things hooked directly to the grid?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Circuits overload if power demand exceeds what the line is rated to carry.

Here's how I generally setup power (please ignore how ugly this base is oh god):

You'll see I have a hevi-watt wire backbone connected to my generators, which transformers then pull off of into separate lines. In order to not overload, those transformer lines have to:
a) Only connect to 1kW worth of devices. You can connect it up to more as long as the power draw is intermittent (air locks, dupe-operated devices) and as long as demand never exceeds 1kW at any given time.
b) Never touch one another, otherwise they start to share demand and will all overload. This is probably what's killing you: you have to partition separate lines that all only supply up to the rated power of the line, you can't just have one big power web with a bunch of transformers on it. This is why I have wire bridges all over the place.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Ughhh, I can't get a handle on what I'm doing wrong regarding circuit overloads. Do I need more power transformers everywhere and fewer things hooked directly to the grid?

short answer, yes. long answer, yeeeesssssssss

Put your power generation roughly in the same place and just make a stack of transformers to separate out power as-needed. Say, one for each cardinal direction. My current base as an example:

each transit tube is going to want a dedicated transformer, and just off-screen are additional transformers going to ice and lava biome for pumps.
I should have done a better job isolating the hevi-watt from traffic but it doesn't really matter that much, everyone's happy.

Remember, you can flip them them with O so the heavi-watt intake is on the other side!

LoboFlex
Aug 26, 2004

oh, okay
Here's a large screenshot from the oil update nobody asked for:

Features:
- Lots of tunnels going nowhere, since the void apparently has been taken out of the game
- Oxygen generation that needs lots of attention so as to not get choked with hydrogen or waste a lot of power
- A storage room filled with chlorine, which is a great way to keep things bacteria free
- Food storage doused in liquid chlorine, which I'm sure keeps it extra fresh
- More shitwater and boiling freshwater than I know what to do with
- No protection suits, since apparently they require copper, which has been spent elsewhere

The game is great!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Here's mine my current one. Cycle 230, 32 dupes, a bit more organic than the above. My dupes don't take showers and eat mostly lice and mushrooms. I don't have a big store of water and I'm gradually feeding all polluted water I find into my fertilizer makers rather than purify it - the steam geyser provides more than plenty water. The plastic presses are next to the anti-antropic machines to stay cold and I have a bunch of captive slicksters making oil for me down below.

I'm in the process of hollowing out a new growing area to free up the middle for stuff, hence ladder to nowhere. I wanted to see if I could actually store everything that was lying around, which was a mistake as it takes up a solid third of my base.

Next time I'm going to put the farms awayyyy from the machines, for real this time. the 3 wide ladders work fine late-game with transit tubes (tube, ladder, pole) but I need to plan horizontal stations better. I never did set up a refinery, heat is still such an issue in this game and for whatever reason heat exchanges are really inefficient unless you do odd things like drip liquids. You almost have to build your machinery around the static entropic generators when you find them. I also need a better energy plan than "everything on the same heavi-watt" because that doesn't really scale well. I should also use automation at some point; this is an automation-free base.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 18, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thanks guys.

I've found at least one use for the automation update so far. Switches to turn pumps on and off without the dupe needing to go far, or, indeed, even needing to get his feet wet. (I'm draining one pool into another). Maybe if I get the liquid sensors set up I can have it so that the pool switch gets hit whenever the target pool runs dry.

Liquid Chlorine? How cold do you have to get it to get that? Huh!

The crude oil refiner says it makes petroleum and natural gas, but I don't see a natural gas output, does it just spew into the air with no pipe the way gas generators spew polluted water?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Thanks guys.

I've found at least one use for the automation update so far. Switches to turn pumps on and off without the dupe needing to go far, or, indeed, even needing to get his feet wet. (I'm draining one pool into another). Maybe if I get the liquid sensors set up I can have it so that the pool switch gets hit whenever the target pool runs dry.

Liquid Chlorine? How cold do you have to get it to get that? Huh!

The crude oil refiner says it makes petroleum and natural gas, but I don't see a natural gas output, does it just spew into the air with no pipe the way gas generators spew polluted water?
You can more than likely use bridge tricks if you are trying to top off an existing pool or funnel overspill into something else: https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/79iw6l/3_useful_tricks_with_bridges/#bottom-comments

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Huh. I've never dug this deep before. They have creatures that breathe in CO2 and excrete oil? Nice.

Too bad my experimentation with the petroleum machines underestimated how drat messy they are. The plastic press emits steam *and* leaks hot water everywhere? Yeesh. It didn't say that in the description! Gonna have to build my plastic factory over a mesh tile with a gutter or something to keep everyone from getting wet.

These are the messiest machines I've ever dealt with in a video game. I love it and hate it at the same time.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Huh. I've never dug this deep before. They have creatures that breathe in CO2 and excrete oil? Nice.

Too bad my experimentation with the petroleum machines underestimated how drat messy they are. The plastic press emits steam *and* leaks hot water everywhere? Yeesh. It didn't say that in the description! Gonna have to build my plastic factory over a mesh tile with a gutter or something to keep everyone from getting wet.

These are the messiest machines I've ever dealt with in a video game. I love it and hate it at the same time.
before you try this, be aware they produce MASSIVE amounts of heat and will quickly overheat themselves unless you plan for it, liquid is a good heat transfer medium so I have them in a shallow pool to transfer heat away, and the pool is refilled by their steam and by the ice biome melting above.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, I wish you could breed more Wheezeworts. Getting by on the few you find as a cooling system is difficult. Everything is so hoooottttt.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You can also stick them next to an anti-entropy machine.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Someone was recently asking for bubblers to percolate gases through liquids. Can't you just make the bottom of the water tank out of Airflow tiles and pump the gas in beneath it?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Gasses don’t pass through liquids, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Speedball posted:

Yeesh. It didn't say that in the description!

That's 90% of the reason I'm not playing this game anymore. I'm tired of having to find out basic mechanics randomly. If it spits out oxygen and hydrogen say that it spits out oxygen and hydrogen.