Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds like my folks. They have their niches like depression era glass and first edition novels. But drat can they spot a deal in a junk sale and they have an encyclopedic knowledge of makers. It's pretty impressive. I've been buying/finding and scrapping precious metals for years now. So can almost promise you the 178- piece is probably worth something if you can find the right buyer, the rest is scrap unless you want to use it or pass it along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

King of Bees posted:

Sounds like my folks. They have their niches like depression era glass and first edition novels. But drat can they spot a deal in a junk sale and they have an encyclopedic knowledge of makers. It's pretty impressive. I've been buying/finding and scrapping precious metals for years now. So can almost promise you the 178- piece is probably worth something if you can find the right buyer, the rest is scrap unless you want to use it or pass it along.
yeah, he said to give a decent attempt to sell the 1800's stuff but if nobody buys relatively quickly just scrap it since they're 2oz each.

GWBBQ posted:

If you can take clear photos of the pins, I can identify them for you. Actually, I should post my Soviet hats I got at Goodwill, too.

Sterling and plated silver have distinctly different smells. Try sniffing one of each, and if you can't tell the difference, sniff some coffee beans or grounds then wait 10-15 seconds between pieces to clear your nose. Do not clean any of the genuine pieces; nothing in that set has enough tarnish or marking to risk damaging it.
oh for sure, he said he could smell the brass in the plated stuff, I think it was. I'll get around to taking better shots of the pins when I've not just come off a 7 hour round trip car ride. :v:

the 1780's piece is a "berry spoon", and one of the 1800's pieces is a "pickle fork"

fuckin' bougies

Edit: also my uncle has these two cats and the bottom one is the cool kind of cat who responds to people instead of ignoring them

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 02:38 on May 12, 2019

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds like you'll make your money back and then some. Awesome!

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Dog Case posted:

This thing was at a thrift store and I bought it for some reason

It came with the case and manual

Cut everything down and make it into stuff like... discs. And so on. I dunno, figure out your own poo poo.

Eat off of that giant old growth tree you killed

It was also full of gas and started right up. Could have made for an exciting day at the thrift store I guess

Absolutely do not use regular gasoline in that. It's because of the ethanol additive in gasoline now, basically it destroys small engines by corroding metal parts and destroying gaskets/fuel lines/etc and is hydroscopic so it turns into varnish after sitting for a few weeks. You can get cans of pre-mixed 40:1 or 50:1 fuel at most hardware store chains, and can generally get ethanol-free gasoline direct from fuel suppliers (a search for "[county name] ethanol free gas" should probably do it) if you need a lot of it or it requires a odd ratio, some older engines had odd ratios that went as high as 16:1. You might actually want to drain the tank, run it until the fuel lines empty and then fill it up with the new fuel just to be safe.

That said, old Craftsman chainsaws were decent and are great for light-duty stuff. Though mind the lack of the kickback guard.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
They sell enzyme additives at most power tool stores or auto part places that neutralize the ethanol...somehow. Anyhoo, when we got a lawn tractor the clerk said the number one reason for returns and repairs was ethanol gas.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Literally just check out china to use it. It's much better than stoneware and it's not valuable enough to care about, but still expensive enough to produce that getting it new is a hassle.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Antivehicular posted:

I've wanted to own some uranium orange Fiestaware since I first heard of it back in middle school. Of all my stupid dreams, this is the stupidest.

Hey, Here you go. This is where I got my radioactive coffee cup and giger counter. Surprisingly affordable.
http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_8&products_id=1088

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Edit: also my uncle has these two cats and the bottom one is the cool kind of cat who responds to people instead of ignoring them

This is exactly what I thought your silver sniffing uncle’s house would look like when you described him.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Captain Invictus posted:

Uncle trip report: mostly silver plated, but about 9ish pieces are sterling silver, three of which are from the mid-late 1800s and one is from 1787, he was able to eyeball most of it(and...smell some of it). He broke out the musty old silverware identification book he got from the auction house back in the day and traced it back to being made in London in august 1787 because all the sigils along the underside of it specified it to that extent, neat. Even had an identifier for the person who made that specific piece but he couldn't find it in the book, but it's rad that it's that ancient.

I've been told that antique silver stuff has or develops a faint but sweet smell over time. Dunno if it's a real thing or old wives tale, but neat to know it's this widespread.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Applesnots posted:

Hey, Here you go. This is where I got my radioactive coffee cup and giger counter. Surprisingly affordable.
http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_8&products_id=1088
Good old nutcase Bob Lazar, at it again.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

GWBBQ posted:

Good old nutcase Bob Lazar, at it again.

Holy poo poo! I had no idea who he was and googled him and that is some Art Bell levels of nuts right there. Still, sells good stuff.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

King Doom posted:

I've been told that antique silver stuff has or develops a faint but sweet smell over time. Dunno if it's a real thing or old wives tale, but neat to know it's this widespread.

Smells more like sulfur in my experience. Also sterling tarnishes differently than plate. Less rainbows

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Captain Invictus posted:

there was this big basket full of all sorts of silverware(some fancy, some not) so I bought the whole thing, I took out all the stuff that's just "normal" utensils and took a picture of the fancy stuff that was in the bottom of it. Most of these seem to be sterling silverware, whole lot of elaborate stamps printed on the undersides of a lot of them, mostly from italy and the UK it seems. I'm visiting my uncle later today and he ran an auction gallery for decades, so I'm sure he'll be able to help identify some of it if there's anything special.

Those stamps are "hallmarks" and are a mandated part of sterling silver in the UK, and they are one of, if not the oldest continuous piece of consumer protection in the world. With cutlery, with space considerations, it can be a bit tricky, but they should have the year, an assay office mark, a sterling silver mark and hopefully a maker's mark. Also the UK pieces should probably have a lion passant.

You can easily find good records online to exactly date to the year, where it was assayed and potentially manufacturer which will help a lot with selling it. Generally, the earlier the better. Post 1850s or so, mostly they are scrap value unless they are unusual or from a desirable maker. Anything Georgian (so 18th Century and early 19th) is at least worth doing a little legwork on. Probably worth upwards of $30 a pop.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

From 1980. Four cassettes and a booklet. I seriously doubt this was ever played. They had another six or seven sets as well. Classical music is not usually my thing, but I thought this was pretty neat.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
A thrift thread?! Awesome, I mainly shop for stupid shirts and levis now adays, but things catch my eye every now and then and I feel like it could be an interesting talk piece.

Found this projector today. Didn't buy it, but it looked nice.

Edit: apparently a bell howell super 8 autoload projector. $14.99

ShortyMR.CAT has a new favorite as of 05:51 on May 19, 2019

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

A thrift thread?! Awesome, I mainly shop for stupid shirts and levis now adays, but things catch my eye every now and then and I feel like it could be an interesting talk piece.

Found this projector today. Didn't buy it, but it looked nice.

Edit: apparently a bell howell super 8 autoload projector. $14.99

There is (or was) a Super 8 projector I noticed at a thrift store next to my apartment a couple weeks ago. I kind of wanted it, but I also really need to stop buying poo poo I can't fit in my house. I don't recall if it was Bell&Howell, just that it kind of fit all in a self-contained case.

(Un)fortunately, the thrift store is moving and is now having an 80-90% off everything sale. Maybe I should go and see if that is still there.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
An even better deal!

My only reason to not buy things is just I have no where to put it or don't have the means to restore it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The thrift store secret to avoid becoming a hoarder is to figure out a few things that you like and try to exclusively focus on finding that stuff. Eventually you get to the point where you see other cool stuff, appreciate it at the store, and then move on because it's not your stuff.

If you're into flipping stuff, this also helps avoid the situation of finding something that's outside your area of knowledge, but you're pretty sure you saw somewhere that these things are valuable! So you buy it, then later you do some research and learn that some of them are valuable, but this particular one is actually the opposite and now you're stuck with it.

Anyway the last good thing I found was an old aluminum hardhat with "USFS" scratched under the bill that I added to my hipster-wall of outdoorsy stuff.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
noice.

My gameplan used to be, "Find old video games that are worth thousands of dollars", but everybody wised up on that after the few thrift store treasure finds made it out to the news. (super rare copies of track and field, Nintendo Competition cartridges ect ect)

My new gameplan is, "Can I use this? Will this look cool if I display it?". I'm currently writing this as I wear my Levis denim jacket that I got at an Buffalo Exchange for $26 bucks :pcgaming: Though Buffalo exchange is kinda cheating, everything in there is pretty much amazing or amazingly stupid (Grim reaper shirt I bought for my cousin that says, "Don't fear the reefer" and him smoking a joint)

So far my thrift store hauls have included:
1. Microsoft flight stick/joystick
2. This denim jacket
3. A wood keyblade that my wife found and hung up on our wall
4. Some random clothes
5. Dressers
6. Rabbi costume for Halloween

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

(Grim reaper shirt I bought for my cousin that says, "Don't fear the reefer" and him smoking a joint)

SUPER jealous.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
He yet to wear it. What a prick.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

The shirt wasn't particularly nice but I liked the tag

It certainly is!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Damned if I'd find the pic now but I had an American Eagle belt that I noticed years into owning it that it said "open responsibly" on the back of the buckle

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I found this little propane lantern at a Goodwill for $2.99. A pack of mantles cost another $1.99

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Took a trip to the Humane Society shop:

Stephen King's Mr Mercedes
Rosemary and Thyme Complete series (I have a thing for Felicity Kendal)
Eleventh Hour - Never heard of it, but it has Patrick Stewart
A picture frame
Flood - They Might Be Giants
Their Satanic Majesty's Request - The Rolling Stones

$10 for all.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Took a trip to the Humane Society shop:

Stephen King's Mr Mercedes
Rosemary and Thyme Complete series (I have a thing for Felicity Kendal)
Eleventh Hour - Never heard of it, but it has Patrick Stewart
A picture frame
Flood - They Might Be Giants
Their Satanic Majesty's Request - The Rolling Stones

$10 for all.

Mr Mercedes was great until you hit the third novel where King went all Fahrenheit (I.e. aliens from the internet.)

King Kambrook
Feb 14, 2012
So my partner recently posted our most prized possession in a FB group that's similar to this thread, and it's been pretty popular there. (I've been meaning to post it here for ages but never gotten around to it.)

Anyway, the story behind it is that I was at a garage sale and asked the person running it two questions:
1) What's the story?
2) How much?

She said "I don't know, and a dollar." And that's how we came to own Titty Frog

Very mildly NWS due to crochet frog genitalia.

:nws: https://imgur.com/s6Rud8s :nws:

P.S. Bonus stop-motion we made because people keep on arguing about the magic cards in the background on some reddit where it got reposted.

:frogsiren: https://imgur.com/cBDmL8d :frogsiren:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

King Kambrook posted:

So my partner recently posted our most prized possession in a FB group that's similar to this thread, and it's been pretty popular there. (I've been meaning to post it here for ages but never gotten around to it.)

Anyway, the story behind it is that I was at a garage sale and asked the person running it two questions:
1) What's the story?
2) How much?

P.S. Bonus stop-motion we made because people keep on arguing about the magic cards in the background on some reddit where it got reposted.

Big fan. Also love your swan thing.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Cross-post but: got a Sony bdv-780w in perfect condition with all the surround speakers and subwoofer for 35$.

Now I just have to go back and grab the wireless amplifier for the surround speakers and my tiny living room is gonna *bump*

With just the front/center/sub channels going my windows rattle, I can't wait til I find the amp and get to watch bad boys 2 on blu-ray, the best surround system movie ever.

This also means I get to take the sound bar and giant subwoofer that was in the living room, into the even smaller bedroom. My life just got a whole lot louder. :getin:

pantsofdoom
Nov 20, 2003

i like pants

King Kambrook posted:

And that's how we came to own Titty Frog

welp, i guess dirty frogs were A Thing.

everyone, meet my newest animal friend, Dick Frog!

Dick Frog didn't come from the thrift store though, he came from my grandparents' bedroom. we're pretty sure my gran made him.

THIS little beauty though, i did pick up at goodwill just this weekend. i love it so much.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

P.S. I'll find my frog

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

borrowed from a FB group

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Found this bad boy from goodwill store in parts, cost about 15 dollars (12 EUR) and was labeled "misc Legos". It even came with the back part of the original box and the instructions were between the divider and the box.

Unbelievably everything in the engine, drive train and transmission still works. It ended up missing only 2 unique parts (both door mirrors with model-specific prints on them) and handful of other secondary stuff (such as most of the second seat, parts for the back spoiler, some other random parts which I was able to mostly replace). I guess the previous owner had built the B-model (Formula 1 car) and lost the leftover parts.

Now it sits in my office on a shelf where I can fiddle around with it when I am bored.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God drat that's a hell of a find. I remember building the Super Car with my dad when it came out and accidentally assembling a major component of the gear shifting mechanism wrong, and having to disassemble half the thing to fix it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

God drat that's a hell of a find. I remember building the Super Car with my dad when it came out and accidentally assembling a major component of the gear shifting mechanism wrong, and having to disassemble half the thing to fix it.

A lot of Technics models now use connections that make it extremely hard to disassemble even partially without instructions because unlike with Lego connections it's not immediately obvious which bit has to come off first.

E: by a lot I mean two I guess. I don't disassemble a lot of Lego sets:D

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

King Kambrook posted:

1) What's the story?
2) How much?

Haha, isn't that card worth like a bajillion dollars?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Beartaco posted:

Haha, isn't that card worth like a bajillion dollars?

Yes, but only if it is in mint condition and from the original 1st edition sets, not from the later re-runs or remakes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, but only if it is in mint condition and from the original 1st edition sets, not from the later re-runs or remakes.
they remade the black lotus and such in accurate replicas of the alpha/beta/unlimited versions? I thought the entire thing of those and the Power Nine was that they would never reprint those, ever, so only the ones that were out there were it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

they remade the black lotus and such in accurate replicas of the alpha/beta/unlimited versions? I thought the entire thing of those and the Power Nine was that they would never reprint those, ever, so only the ones that were out there were it.

I am almost certain that they have re-released or at least allowed reprints of black lotus and the others in later editions and the "made to order"-decks.

They do, however always carry the symbols depicting when and to what edition that particular card belongs to. Only the 1st print run of each card carries no extra symbols so they are the expensive ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Der Kyhe posted:

I am almost certain that they have re-released or at least allowed reprints of black lotus and the others in later editions and the "made to order"-decks.

They do, however always carry the symbols depicting when and to what edition that particular card belongs to. Only the 1st print run of each card carries no extra symbols so they are the expensive ones.

Black Lotus and the rest of the Power 9 are on the reserve list (cannot be reprinted) and have not been reprinted since Unlimited in 1993. There are also non-tournament-legal versions that have different backs/shape printed shortly after. The non-tournament-legal Black Lotuses cost a couple thousand. The Unlimited ones (cheapest actual playable cards) go for over $5,000. Black-bordered ones (Alpha or Beta) run from around $15,000 to $150,000, depending on condition. The one being torn up in the previous post is pretty clearly a fake, even from the low quality pics.