Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
whats ur poison
beer (american piss)
beer (hipster craft poo poo)
beer (german wheat beer)
beer (blonde)
beer (brown (belgian)
white wine
red wine
whiskey
vodka
other liquor
my tears after a long day of programming
piss
water
gas
View Results

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i remember coming back from class to my university dorm room one wednesday afternoon during my freshman year to discover my roommate and his pals already through a 24 pack of beer, a bottle of bacardi 151 and each nursing a cup of jd the size of a big gulp

unsurprisingly none of them able to return for the next year and one even managed to wash out during the first semester

alcohol destroys lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i'm surprised they managed to put up with you without drinking a lot more than that

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
realtalk university dorm drinking culture is toxic af, at least it was round the turn of the millenium

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
my neighbor is cool as gently caress, but whenever i decide to go over there and say hi, i know i'm going to get as much booze pushed on me as possible. last night we did shots of black label (johnie walker i think?) and man that stuff is great, but messed me up quick. probably not the best idea on a work night

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Kenny Logins posted:

realtalk university dorm drinking culture is toxic af, at least it was round the turn of the millenium

Real talk drinking in university dorms owned

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

At least in the UK, drinking culture is so prevalent at university that the university itself has to force clubs and societies to have at least one non-alcoholic social a semester, because otherwise they just wouldn't ever happen.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

qhat posted:

Real talk drinking in university dorms owned
at the time, the drinking with friends was very good, the culture around clubs/societies/socials generally was not

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Kenny Logins posted:

at the time, the drinking with friends was very good, the culture around clubs/societies/socials generally was not

That was also a thing that owned imho.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kenny Logins posted:

if you take the price point of jd sb and apply it to something in the jb family e.g. baker's 7, you will also love that, trust me

i got a bottle of bookers for 21
it was v good

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mailorder bees! posted:

jack daniels belongs in the garbage

yes, a number of people itt already talked about drinking it

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
jacks not terrible its just overpriced for what it is (not great)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

the only saving grace of is is the squared bottle base, which is good for breaking over another lowlife's face, should you ever find yourself in the position of having to drink it

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Stymie posted:

i remember coming back from class to my university dorm room one wednesday afternoon during my freshman year to discover my roommate and his pals already through a 24 pack of beer, a bottle of bacardi 151 and each nursing a cup of jd the size of a big gulp

unsurprisingly none of them able to return for the next year and one even managed to wash out during the first semester

alcohol destroys lives

this is an impressive self own, so im quoting it

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dislike button posted:

this is an impressive self own, so im quoting it

personally i'd be more appalled at young students throwing their futures away because they were alcoholics at 18 but hey, funny computers

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
don’t respond to stymie posts guys come on

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

I’m planning a holiday and drinking red wine and I’m gonna come in late to work tomorrow oops

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

weed was worse for me than booze but ymmv

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

[quote="“qhat”" post="“474781930”"]
At least in the UK, drinking culture is so prevalent at university that the university itself has to force clubs and societies to have at least one non-alcoholic social a semester, because otherwise they just wouldn’t ever happen.
[/quote]

uk drinking culture is hosed honestly

still fun

did you know spoons have an app now and you can order and pay on ur phone and they’ll just bring ur poo poo to u? owns cos u never have to be at the bar near spoons clientele

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Kenny Logins posted:

the only saving grace of is is the squared bottle base, which is good for breaking over another lowlife's face, should you ever find yourself in the position of having to drink it
Also you can get a better grip on it for extraction when you accidentally fall on it when drinking in the shower.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

uk drinking culture is hosed honestly

still fun

did you know spoons have an app now and you can order and pay on ur phone and they’ll just bring ur poo poo to u? owns cos u never have to be at the bar near spoons clientele

Just before I left I saw they were doing this more and more in UK pubs. Honestly it's great so long as they don't expect a tip for doing that like they do for table service in Canada.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

John Big Booty posted:

Also you can get a better grip on it for extraction when you accidentally fall on it when drinking in the shower.

please do not gently caress glass bottles

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's a shame spoons serves such poo poo beer and food though. I only really ever went to get hosed up on cheap piss water before a night out.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

OldAlias posted:

please do not gently caress glass bottles
1) The bottle was loving me and 2) it was an accident doctor I swear

2.a) I wanted Jack Daniels to know what he tasted like nothing sexual

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

alcohol destroys lives

sounds like they ended up in a life of working labour rather than computer touching

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

weed was worse for me than booze but ymmv

long term yeah for sure but alcohol is a bit more insidious

interestingly enough doing mushrooms twice a week for months on end didn't do much to my psyche and it was also awesome

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

qhat posted:

It's a shame spoons serves such poo poo beer and food though. I only really ever went to get hosed up on cheap piss water before a night out.

spoons always has a bunch of guest beers on and normally at least a couple local ones, so if the beer is poo poo it's your own fault for living in london. the guy who owns spoons is a real prick though

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

sounds like they ended up in a life of working labour rather than computer touching

lomarf

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

echinopsis posted:

washing out of school wouldn't have barred them from computer touching, but it definitely would nix any possibility of working a good trade

more than likely they're working dead end it janitor jobs, which is sad

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

big scary monsters posted:

spoons always has a bunch of guest beers on and normally at least a couple local ones, so if the beer is poo poo it's your own fault for living in london. the guy who owns spoons is a real prick though

Wasn't he the guy who printed a load of false brexit propaganda on all the beer coasters across the franchise? Yeah he's a oval office.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

[quote="“qhat”" post="“474791863”"]
It’s a shame spoons serves such poo poo beer and food though. I only really ever went to get hosed up on cheap piss water before a night out.
[/quote]

they have some kinda ok beers now by uk standards

u ain’t getting the good Belgian tripels tho. maybe duvel if you’re lucky

but yeah cheap piss water and lots of it is the english way

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

[quote="“qhat”" post="“474792294”"]
Wasn’t he the guy who printed a load of false brexit propaganda on all the beer coasters across the franchise? Yeah he’s a oval office.
[/quote]

iirc he gave 4m to the Brexit campaign then lost 400m in stock when the ftse crashed when the Brexit vote came in, lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

iirc he gave 4m to the Brexit campaign then lost 400m in stock when the ftse crashed when the Brexit vote came in, lol

Jokes on you, because the FTSE skyrocketed a couple of weeks later when people realised actually yes a cheaper pound means we can invest in more UK stock.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

[quote="“echinopsis”" post="“474792003”"]
long term yeah for sure but alcohol is a bit more insidious

interestingly enough doing mushrooms twice a week for months on end didn’t do much to my psyche and it was also awesome
[/quote]

I smoked weed errday for like 1.5 years and it went pretttty bad I’m sure y’all remember my terrible posting like 3y ago

then I stopped and hosed off elsewhere and it was alright really

now I have free beer every day at my job which was fun at first but is now quite the temptation for my addictive personality. sometimes I can avoid it but more often than not I’m drinking a lot every day which ain’t so good honestly

thinking of getting a new job to get away from the booze and hopefully get a better balance. at least I’m aware that it’s a bit hosed atm unlike the last time

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Whoever was managing my fund owns. Before the vote, they bought a bunch of dollars, shorted the pound, and then bought a bunch of FTSE stock after it crashed.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

[quote="“qhat”" post="“474792451”"]
Jokes on you, because the FTSE skyrocketed a couple of weeks later when people realised actually yes a cheaper pound means we can invest in more UK stock.
[/quote]

it’s weird how the country going to the dogs equals higher stock prices but capitalism

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

John Big Booty posted:

extremely pro un/post combo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

it’s weird how the country going to the dogs equals higher stock prices but capitalism

Not weird at all, the companies remained exactly same so no real reason for them to be devalued in the short term, so their stock price went up inversely proportion to the more liquid pound it's denominated in.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i know it's not something most people here have heard often but here's some realtalk: skilled labor jobs require a whole shitload more education than being a computer toucher

it's really not a good look to assume that every person who Does Labor is some ignorant pleb, but most everyone in yospos is an armchair marxist anyway