Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Bears over the Browns feels like a trap game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Voodoo posted:

Bears over the Browns feels like a trap game.

This moneyline for Bucs @ Panthers seems wildly inconsistent with the spread.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Alright I need to get well doubled up on colts plus 13.5, lol Ravens easy money now I need a 3 to one sure thing bet to get even for the year.

well poo poo I got the first two legs of the parley but Bortles got to Bort.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 24, 2017

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
If there's a 5 way tie at the top of Eliminator is it just shared glory? Or do we work into the post season too? Kinda my first time paying attention this long

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
It's always felt like the postseason was a separate game in both pick'em and eliminator. For pick 'em, I've always considered week 17 the end of the season.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I think this is it guys. I finally won pick'em... I just have to make it one more week (please don't kill me)

elfurbe
Dec 22, 2005
That guy with the thing

Bjay9 posted:

If there's a 5 way tie at the top of Eliminator is it just shared glory? Or do we work into the post season too? Kinda my first time paying attention this long

Shared glory. I mean, the winners can organize a canasta tournament amongst themselves to determine who holds real ultimate power, but we won't be recording the results on the site or anything because they're all winners to us.

There is a post-season but it's not scored together with the regular season, it's a start from scratch thing.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Looking at the stats for the winners of pick 'em since 2012, and it seems that this year is in position to have the highest score ever. The previous best of 182 wins in 2013 in only 10 games higher than Fenrir's current total, so a solid week would tie and a good week would break the record. It would take some more time to look over the stats, but my gut tells me that the higher the scores, the less competitive the games.

Don't choke Fenrir.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spintzel has a completely insurmountable lead in reverse spread pickem with 130, which kind of points out also and not to take anything away from Spintzel but, way fewer people play the reverse games, and a lot fewer do the spread pickem games. So while pickem has 248 players, spread pickem only has 88; and reverse pickem has just 38, and the red-headed stepchild game reverse spread pickem has just 22 people who bothered all year.

Anyone in the top 16 places of pickem could have just taken the exact opposite position in reverse pickem as they did in regular pickem, and be the current leader. Of course it's way more fun if you don't always just do the opposite, and I have a habit of splitting the difference on games I'm not sure of (that is, take the same team to win/lose or beat/not beat the spread) but that probably kills my chances at being a leader in either.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I am scared of new things.

Also I missed one TNF game this year and know that if I was in more than two I would have missed more.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SpitztheGreat posted:

Looking at the stats for the winners of pick 'em since 2012, and it seems that this year is in position to have the highest score ever. The previous best of 182 wins in 2013 in only 10 games higher than Fenrir's current total, so a solid week would tie and a good week would break the record. It would take some more time to look over the stats, but my gut tells me that the higher the scores, the less competitive the games.

Don't choke Fenrir.

Wish me luck, and hopefully I keep straight which teams are resting guys and don't give a poo poo

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Fenrir posted:

Wish me luck, and hopefully I keep straight which teams are resting guys and don't give a poo poo

This feels like every team in the league this week 17.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 28, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

King Hong Kong posted:

This feels like every team in the league this week 17.

Browns and Colts will both go all out to win. Also Titans and Falcons and Seahawks.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Seeing as how I have the weakest of picks at the top (Chargers) - let’s go Bucs!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Voodoo posted:

Seeing as how I have the weakest of picks at the top (Chargers) - let’s go Bucs!

You have made a poor choice.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SpitztheGreat posted:

Don't choke Fenrir.

6-0 on the early games. It's within reach. Luck don't fail me now!

E: 9-0 now... keep it rolling! If the Bills and Falcons hold on that will make 11. The 3-way tie behind me is now 5 games behind so I've won, but I would like to make goon history :)

E2: man, some real chokes hosed me up but I still went 11-5 and squeaked it through. 183. So for now I am the king... let's see how long my reign shall last.

Ravens, Saints and Seahawks all needed a win against teams with NOTHING to gain and they all lost. That's why I didn't go 14-2.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 1, 2018

elfurbe
Dec 22, 2005
That guy with the thing
Verily it is so, Fenrir is the Greatest SAS Eliminator Pickem Goon OF ALL TIME with 183 correct picks in the regular season, besting ChuckHead's 2013 performance of 182. All honors and accolades to the victor, Fenrir, Odin-slayer, Dread-wolf of Ragnarök. Based on the earlier thread discussion, I think since he failed to make some picks somehow he loses I guess? I don't even know, you people are bananas crazy, for real.

In Eliminator, we have the DREADED TIE WHAT EVER WILL WE DO as voodoo and HalfMoose both made it to 17-0. I don't know how we'll ever live through this, it's like they both win, so I guess we'll go with that since it's like the millionth time it's happened. Hearty congrats to you both, my Eliminator season was a right loving shambles ending in a tie for 93rd and a loss to my actual mother, so I've got that going for me which is nice.

I know some of you nutter butters play reverse and spread games, but you're real wackadoos and we will not encourage you by reporting your results here. Feel pride and shame in equal measure if you won, and only shame if you lost, but like a little extra shame for knowing how these games even work.

In fake money news, knightmare slaughtered the rest of you Funbucks degens, I tell you what. This statistically absurd week 15 parlay made it happen. Gaze upon this ludicrous proposition and wonder how a person can even hope to survive in a world gone this mad.

Truly a regular season of legend, and the best news, Qwijib0, multigl and I didn't gently caress it up! Were our comedy picks inconsistent and on some occasions not even completed by game time, yes. Did we have to edit database records by hand to fix our own cockups, you bet we did. Did we fail to achieve all but the most trivial of our planned "improvements", oh certainly that is true. But by gum we got here and that's something. Thanks to everyone for playing the regular season!

Dem playoffs are coming up and lord knows the post season is always one play away from being a Jodorowsky film, so stick around. If your team didn't make the cut this year, my condolences. Might I recommend a scrappy-ish underdog like the Kansas City Chefs to direct your hopes and prayers to? I think everyone can agree that we could certainly use them, Tom Terrific and Ben Somanyletters are both cutting terrifying forms atop the AFC. NFC shoutout to multigl's Minnesota Vikings joining the four-way tie with a league-best 13-3 (Seriously how the poo poo did that even happen? Just me and like the entire rest of the NFC wondering.) and a light guffaw at the Philadelphia Eagles who managed to lose by six points today while scoring literally none of their own. Sympathy going out to my boy Nick Foles who got sat dafuq down. You're still my boy, Foles. Someday they'll see. Conceal, don't feel.

Happy New Year, handegg bums.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

elfurbe posted:

Verily it is so, Fenrir is the Greatest SAS Eliminator Pickem Goon OF ALL TIME with 183 correct picks in the regular season, besting ChuckHead's 2013 performance of 182. All honors and accolades to the victor, Fenrir, Odin-slayer, Dread-wolf of Ragnarök. Based on the earlier thread discussion, I think since he failed to make some picks somehow he loses I guess? I don't even know, you people are bananas crazy, for real.

Well, I consider the two thursday night games I missed as losses. That still makes me 183-73 on the year, which is the best record in goon pick'em history. By one drat game, but hey I'll take it.

But kings only reign for a little while. Chuck's reign lasted 4 years. Let's see how long I can hold the throne. If anything, this pressures me to make even better picks next year, but the NFL is a nebulous thing. Everything changes. The only thing you can really rely on is that the Browns really suck.

e: Also, abolish thursday night football. it sucks and it's loving crap having to figure out picks when I generally have a 13 hour shift on wednesday/thursday. gently caress. play football on the weekends where it belongs.

If I'd have picked one or both of those games I missed I might have hit 184 or 185.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 1, 2018

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Thanks again for running this, always a good laugh.

Are we doing picks for the playoffs as well ?

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Wooo I won Reverse Spread Eliminator. I would like to thank everyone for not playing that and letting me win

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Playoffs are up!

if you were awful in the regular season (like me) then here's a shot at redemption.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Now watch me suck in the playoffs.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Are we supposed to still have our same funbux money for the playoffs? Does it not reset like Eliminator?

To be fair, I bet on the Bengals in week 17 so I expected to have none.

elfurbe
Dec 22, 2005
That guy with the thing

Magnetic North posted:

Are we supposed to still have our same funbux money for the playoffs? Does it not reset like Eliminator?

We talked about this and...we're gonna say yes? To be fair, none of us plays Funbucks, so we don't really have any idea. If some other funbucker wants to chime in here and tell us this is wrong, we'll try and figure out how to fix it.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

Playoffs are up!

if you were awful in the regular season (like me) then here's a shot at redemption.

Playoff Eliminator is even more of a Hard Mode than reverse is because if you gently caress up your picks you can end up with noone eligible to be picked in the Super Bowl. You have to pick the teams you think will win, but also lose in the next round. It's tricky as hell.

Good luck everyone!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

yeah, to get playoff eliminator right, you need to who'll win the Superbowl, who'll win the NFC Championship game, and get one of the other two divisional games and a WC game right.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's okay, I picked the Patriots to lose this weekend.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Two games in and everyone already has a loss in Pickem.

I love Eliminator.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I knew the Chief's would let me down and I picked them anyways.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Guess who was the only Goon to pick the Falcons? :smug:

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
Chiefs :argh:

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice
nobody went 4-0 in pickem, but like 9 people did in spread pickem. :D

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah you’ll be seeing the season end banner a lot between the end of the weeks games and when I import the new slate on Monday morning

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
44% survival rate week 1.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

0-4 in spread pick'em, lmao.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

College Slice

Kalli posted:

0-4 in spread pick'em, lmao.

i had a perfect week except for the chiefs in pick-em. I should retire now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Chiefs shouldn't lose that game, geezus.

Oh and the Steelers are going to gently caress me again, that goes without saying nearly.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I got wrecked. I always do well in the regular season but dear lord I loving suck in the playoffs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It would have been tough for me to do much worse:

I'm still alive in Eliminator but holy jeebus what a crap performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the thing you care about: i finally won a wuss parlay funbux bet so i'm going to go lose it now.

• Locked thread