Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Dracula strikes me as a bad boss if he has his flower people who drink blood growing indoors off a hard granite floor with only a bunch of bone dry skeletons for company. He probably doesn't even keep them properly fed. The guy's a vampire who still needs his daily blood supply to survive, he should be more willing to sympathize with the lower classes. Then again, the leadership is now some human priest with an attitude problem and presumably Death who's off doing gently caress knows what. Alucard should at least understand their dilemma being part vampire and spare some of his blood to help them out. The guy can recover by drinking potions and chilling at a save coffin. Win the hearts and minds and all that. He might as well be Vampire Jesus.

This is also the first time I learned about the Ouroburos. You learn something new every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Cow
Oct 6, 2007

mooty dollars :3
Nap Ghost
hey you guys picked up a equpiable necklace that gives defence but didnt look at it "Nauglamir" is item name.

also yorkshire tea not sure if you know how the alucard shield works, but if you really dont know maybe thats for the best as that makes the difficulty of the game redundant so i think its for the best you guys dont use it anyway, although i kind of do wish that you guys found out how the high jump boots work because it makes the run go by a bit faster and you dont have to slowly fly to get to high spots

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Please use the bat form to travel when there's not enemies in the area. It's faster and drains less magic.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Alucard shield will kill the final boss in under a second. It is just as well if Natural20 can't figure out what it does.

If Nova Skeletons were a little bit sturdier, they'd rank among the biggest rear end in a top hat enemies in gaming history. As it is, they're glass cannons that can be dealt with even though they hit like a ton of bricks.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 34 - Wheeeeeee!

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Those plant women probably wouldn't be so difficult if they didn't have the ability to throw razor flowers at you in addition to using that random vine attack.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 8, 2018

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Shitenshi posted:

Those plant women probably wouldn't be so difficult if they didn't have the ability to show razor flowers at you in addition to using that random vine attack.

Another great use for the shield!

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
The Alucard Shield: For when you are just done with this game and you want to walk to the final boss unimpeded.

I'm actually playing through this again myself and I'm right around the same place as Nat, although I took a way different path.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno about peanuts, but dogs seem to like peanut butter just fine. My brother gives nearly-empty peanut butter jars to his dog all the time.

Also, who else was hoping that he'd go into the Doppelganger boss with the Stopwatch equipped?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I told my roommate about the peanut struggles, and how your first solution was to try to roast them with fire.

He stopped for a moment, and said "I knew that wouldn't work and I'm still disappointed that it doesn't."

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

peanut butter is fine for (and generally adored by) dogs; hard to imagine that the nuts themselves would be troublesome, except in that dogs are gonna have trouble cracking shells. That said, ianav

Now, chocolate is absolute poison for dogs, and iirc cats, but carob is fine

I was never particularly frightened of mummies as a child, but that's largely because I was a weird kid who used to read about ancient civilizations, and that inevitably includes pictures of gnarly-rear end mummy bodies. turns out that everyone looks rough as hell after the first three thousand years or so :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SatansOnion posted:

peanut butter is fine for (and generally adored by) dogs; hard to imagine that the nuts themselves would be troublesome, except in that dogs are gonna have trouble cracking shells. That said, ianav

Now, chocolate is absolute poison for dogs, and iirc cats, but carob is fine
I think most animals love peanut butter, or at least most animals that can digest it. Mice and rats actually prefer it to cheese, despite the stereotypical connection of the latter. And raccoons love it too.

I think chocolate is more poisonous to cats than to dogs, but since cats can't taste sweet they also don't care nearly as much.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 35 - Dopplegangland

As an aside, I'm aware that we're closing on the end of the LP and I think now is as good a time as any to solicit a little feedback.

How've you enjoyed it? Are there things that could be done better or worse?

Is the update pacing of 3 times across the week good?

Was the blind nature of the LP something that enhanced it or took away?

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 11, 2018

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Natural 20 posted:

Is the update pacing of 3 times across the week good?

Was the blind nature of the LP something that enhanced it or took away?

I liked the update pacing, because I enjoy the constant updates, instead of having to wait a week, and the amount of time per update is fine for this LP.

The blind nature absolutely contributed to this LP. Tea and the thread's annoyance whenever you missed something or couldn't figure out how to do something was a fun addition to the experience of the LP.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
LP is cool and good.

'Hadoken does X now that you have it' is the only thing that felt a bit much to consider 'spoilers'.

So many long hallways slowly misted through, when "All of the wolf relics combined" would just zip on through. Because the separate wolf upgrades are garbage on their own, and gave an understandably horrible first impression even after you tried each separately.

But the rest of the blind policies brought us the best familiar being used most of the game :buddy: (Demon is a good runner up).

Fairy and you know what can get bent :colbert:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 11, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Doppelgangland would never work. Look at the Citadel of Ricks.

I don't know what Death is thinking either. "Killing" Alucard would be one thing since he's half-vampire and maybe Dracula can bring him back or whatever, maybe incapacitate him to keep him from getting in the way, but feasting on his soul would probably get him the same treatment the Succubus got, and who knows how much worse Big Daddy would be. Vengeance and bloodlust seems to run in this family.

I can't tell if the Gaibon is fire resistant, but if he is, then that makes him look even weaker. Can you imagine what some of the super weapons would do to this guy?

re: the LP format. A yea to everything.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The only problem with the blind format is that this particular game explains so little. Too many of the items don't tell you how to use them, and you don't always see the real effect of things unless you trigger them accidentally or happen to have gotten a hint from a completely unrelated source that you can very easily not even see.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I'm generally in favour of the 'assisted blind' format, especially in more sprawling, exploration-based games and particularly ones with minimal handholding. Symphony of the Night is definitely one where having someone to give you the odd prod on where to go or what to do next is a drat help, and keeps the pace of the LP regular without destroying the allure of the blind run. I know that Nat isn't a fan of Dark Souls, but you might wanna look up Geop's LP thereof to see a great example of an assisted blind run. Geop's co-commentators generally keep him more or less in the right direction just so he's not bashing his face into a wall, but they're also not above 'Try Jumping' or other hilarity.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The one thing that could use improvement would be to remember things to come back to for later. A number of times you declared that you'd return to something after proceeding down a different fork or after getting a relevant powerup, before forgetting completely about it five minutes later. So it would be nice to see you or Yorkshire Tea write things down for later review.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

The assisted blind format had its ups and downs. Symphony of the Night is a game with lots and lots of delightful ridiculous bullshit in it, and getting your pure, unfiltered reactions to that was a true gift. But, doing it blind also meant you missed some of my favorite bits of bullshit, which I would have loved to see your reaction to. Maybe a post-game roundup with Tea showing you some of the things you never got/could not reasonably have been expected to figure out/stubbornly refused to backtrack for?

The pace was perfect, I've enjoyed my thrice-weekly dose of The Natural 20 And Yorkshire Tea Show.

Mr Cow
Oct 6, 2007

Nap Ghost
Feedback is its enjoyable to watch and the positive out weighs the negatives. Also you missed a bunch of stuff so maybe do a luck run with information freely available or something if you ever feel like returning to sotn

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

GeminiSun posted:

The assisted blind format had its ups and downs. Symphony of the Night is a game with lots and lots of delightful ridiculous bullshit in it, and getting your pure, unfiltered reactions to that was a true gift. But, doing it blind also meant you missed some of my favorite bits of bullshit, which I would have loved to see your reaction to. Maybe a post-game roundup with Tea showing you some of the things you never got/could not reasonably have been expected to figure out/stubbornly refused to backtrack for?

The pace was perfect, I've enjoyed my thrice-weekly dose of The Natural 20 And Yorkshire Tea Show.

my feelings exactly

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Update pacing is fine; I'd say that as long as you have no problem keeping it up, 3x a week is a fairly good pace.

I'm usually not really a fan of blind LPs, but this one worked due to how well you and Tea work together; he was pretty good at giving you just enough guidance so that you didn't get lost, and you caught most of his hints that weren't about obscure super fiddly stuff you'd never discover in your own.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
It was a good LP and it will be a great format for both Aria of Sorrow and Ecclesia

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'll second "it's good, don't change much". I've been enjoying this, and actually I think this might be the ideal way to LP these games; with how much they're about exploration and discovery, it's less fun to watch them played by someone who knows everything already. If you're planning to do more games in this format, I'll watch them. And possibly play along, if it's one I haven't played yet.

That said, I also like the idea of doing a postmortem episode after you've finished the game, so Nat can react to some of the more absurd secrets.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

The occasional less-exciting moment retreading ground/being 'lost' is a small price to pay for getting the genuine first reactions to the twists and turns and expanding options of the game. This LP has been a blast and I look forward to more of the series if that happens.

A Tea episode of 'this is the weird stuff you missed' would be pretty good as well, for extra bonus exploration reactions.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I want to follow this but also want to play the game one day unspoiled. Do we think it will ever come out for the switch?

Mr Cow
Oct 6, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gimbal lock posted:

It was a good LP and it will be a great format for both Aria of Sorrow and Ecclesia

More castlevania!!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RC Cola posted:

I want to follow this but also want to play the game one day unspoiled. Do we think it will ever come out for the switch?

I doubt it. Konami isn't big on their old franchises anymore. They fell on their rear end a lot recently. If it doesn't make them money without effort,it's probably not happening

Hope that the switch vc will have a good castlevania lineup tho.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RC Cola posted:

I don't know about the Switch, but if you have any PS console with access to the PSN, you can buy it as a PSOne Classic. It's also included with the PSP game Dracula X Chronicles, although that version has an updated localization and new voice acting.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I doubt it. Konami isn't big on their old franchises anymore. They fell on their rear end a lot recently. If it doesn't make them money without effort,it's probably not happening

Hope that the switch vc will have a good castlevania lineup tho.
I mean, if one thing could manage the most money for the least effort, it's probably a re-release of Symphony. The game's got a metric fuckton of nostalgia factor for practically an entire generation of gamers aside from being a good game on its own merits.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Commander Keene posted:

I mean, if one thing could manage the most money for the least effort, it's probably a re-release of Symphony. The game's got a metric fuckton of nostalgia factor for practically an entire generation of gamers aside from being a good game on its own merits.

Which is precisely why they'll absolutely release...

A pachinko machine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lazy Bear posted:

A pachinko machine.

Replace "Viacom" with "Konami" and "Star Trek" with any IP of your choice.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lazy Bear posted:

A pachinko machine.

Featuring "erotic violence" (NFSW):

https://youtu.be/4Uk83ceNRo8

Commander Keene posted:

Replace "Viacom" with "Konami" and "Star Trek" with any IP of your choice.

In other words:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I don't know about the Switch, but if you have any PS console with access to the PSN, you can buy it as a PSOne Classic. It's also included with the PSP game Dracula X Chronicles, although that version has an updated localization and new voice acting.

Well, PS3. I looked the other day and couldn't find it on the PSN via my PS4. But I might have been looking in the wrong place.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Hunter Noventa posted:

Well, PS3. I looked the other day and couldn't find it on the PSN via my PS4. But I might have been looking in the wrong place.
It's also on PSP (and thus PSVita by extension), but I forgot for a second that PS4 doesn't have PSOne Classics.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ugh. My ps3 is back with my wife in Illinois and I sold my vita a long time ago. Rip

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

IIRC, the game is available on the 360 as well.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Gnoman posted:

IIRC, the game is available on the 360 as well.

Welp. I have a new3ds, ps4, and a switch.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Episode 36 - Bad Bats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I forgot how legitimately hard that boss is when you let him live more than 5 seconds.

• Locked thread