Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Please do not speak of the cursed LAMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

What's the best way to read up on the fiction if I didn't get a chance to buy all the historicals and other books that are limited release? Buy a bunch of PDFs?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Prefect Six posted:

What's the best way to read up on the fiction if I didn't get a chance to buy all the historicals and other books that are limited release? Buy a bunch of PDFs?

For sourcebook fiction, most of the PDFs are on DTRPG or the Catalyst store. There's also a bunch of epubs or POD novels (more of the latter recently but it's still coming into its own) that you can get for pretty cheap. Wolves on the Border in particular is not only one of the best BattleTech novels ever written, it's also like a dollar in epub.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am reading the first Jade Phoenix book, which being like the 7th Battletech novel written is wild as hell.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I read a shitload of Stackpole books as a kid, before following the "main" timeline into Twilight of the Clans and the FedCom Civil War books.

I dunno if I recommend that path or not but they were good to me as a pre-teen/teenager

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

I had a bunch of the novels as a kid and I don't think they survived :(. I had the whole Phelan Kell series and a bunch of Stackpole books :frogout:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am reading the first Jade Phoenix book, which being like the 7th Battletech novel written is wild as hell.

The Jade Phoenix trilogy is batshit crazy, and I appreciate that it doesn't do any kind of persuasive values judgment for the reader. This society is hosed up, it's obvious that it's really hosed up, but the alternative to this kooky bloodsport society is just straight up a shameful death so Aidan does it anyway. :allears:

And despite being a Jade Falcon viewpoint novel the viewpoint it sets up is that "Jade Falcons (and all Clan) are crazy rear end nutjobs" and I love it.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Help.

Urbanmechs have made me pledge.

I have a trashcan problem.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Hollander's are just better Urbanmechs

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Loved Jade Phoenix because... it's still better than being in the Inner Sphere

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hollanders are just lovely Kit Fox As but the Urbanmech UM-AIV has the best value per BV in the entire game

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The Urbanmech looks like a trash can

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The Urbanmech looks like a trash can

So that’s where all your posts come from

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The Urbanmech level is what finally defeated me in The Crescent Hawk's Revenge. God that game was loving tough, but a level where you're just in Urbanmechs? No loving thank you. The scenario designers were masochists.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Urbanmech level is what finally defeated me in The Crescent Hawk's Revenge. God that game was loving tough, but a level where you're just in Urbanmechs? No loving thank you. The scenario designers were masochists.

I was like 9 or 10 when I got a boxed set of the two CH games and MechWarrior. One was like an RPG with action-like elements and the city gets destroyed, one was more like TT BT and I couldn’t get past the first few stages, and then the last was MechWarrior.

I never knew there was an actual storyline for MechWarrior for years, I just thought it was cool do merc job game.

Then I learned a bastardized version of BT where we all played with custom mechs using a mix of clan and IS equipment, and the to hit tables were re-written so that if you shot a mech from the left you didn’t hit the Right Torso. It was... interesting when I first tried to play against people outside that group.

EDIT:

The last BT novel I read was the one where the IS invasion of the clans wrapped up and the final chapter was this long running character being killed by an assassin using some kind of poison in the space brandy he sipped as a victory drink. Am I remembering that right? I want to say it was towards the end of first run of BT novels post Victor Steiner Davon figured out this mom was killed by his sister (I think??? Been a long time) and pre-Dark Age / Word of Blake Jihad / THE INNER SPHERE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN.

Nystral fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 14, 2019

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Nystral posted:

EDIT:

The last BT novel I read was the one where the IS invasion of the clans wrapped up and the final chapter was this long running character being killed by an assassin using some kind of poison in the space brandy he sipped as a victory drink. Am I remembering that right? I want to say it was towards the end of first run of BT novels post Victor Steiner Davon figured out this mom was killed by his sister (I think??? Been a long time) and pre-Dark Age / Word of Blake Jihad / THE INNER SPHERE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN.

That's during the series where the IS takes out the Smoke Jaguars, yeah. I thought it happened near the beginning but I don't remember anymore.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Nystral posted:

I was like 9 or 10 when I got a boxed set of the two CH games and MechWarrior. One was like an RPG with action-like elements and the city gets destroyed, one was more like TT BT and I couldn’t get past the first few stages, and then the last was MechWarrior.

I never knew there was an actual storyline for MechWarrior for years, I just thought it was cool do merc job game.

I had that exact same box set!

The absolute best thing in there was the manual. It was a combined manual for all three games and had all the tech readouts for the relevant mechs present. I poured over that book for hours upon hours. I lent it to a friend who was into Battletech. but then I moved and never saw it again. It was heartbreaking just because of what a cool video game manual it was, but it especially sucked because The Crescent Hawk's Inception (the RPG) had one of those old fashioned anti-piracy features where you needed information from a specific page in the manual (which was semi-randomized each time you got to that point in the game) and so it made it tough to advance if you didn't have the internet.

Inception I put the least amount of time into because it was the most old school in design. Your little dude ran around this massive map and there were mechs stomping around that could basically one shot you. If you were lucky, you'd have a rocket launcher and be able to kill the pilot and steal the mech and then you'd go hunting for bigger mechs and repeat. It was stupidly difficult.

Revenge was the one that was closest to the tabletop experience, but as I said it was designed by masochists. The first thing you do is pick the mechs you want your team to be in, and they were a pretty good selection including a Griffin. But then you enter the first scenario and they give you a busted Jenner while all your mechs are trapped in a dropship in a lake. The game also had different possible outcomes depending on how you did in each scenario, so you could get railroaded from the first mission to being totally hosed. Apparently the Clans show up at some point, but as I said, I got stuck on the Urbanmech level.

Mechwarrior was a blast. I played the hell out of that. I knew there was a plot, but I could never figure out which planets I was supposed to go to or what the correct responses were to the prompts. It was very easy to get lost or stop receiving clues. But stomping around being the baddest mercenary group was fun on its own.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Seems weird that both the Clan command star and the Inner Sphere command lance have such a weird spread of tonnage/movement profile.

Is it a fluff thing, or just to have the packs contain a variety of mechs?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes to both. Basically with the level of detail in the mechanics of Battletech you never really want to do anything bigger than a 4 on 4 match. (I say this trying to set up a 9 person free for all) But in an in-universe sense you want a range of mechs that can recon, harass, lay down some consistent fire, and one or two that can drop the loving hammer, working together as a cohesive unit.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 14, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Weissritter posted:

Seems weird that both the Clan command star and the Inner Sphere command lance have such a weird spread of tonnage/movement profile.

Is it a fluff thing, or just to have the packs contain a variety of mechs?

Command formations are best served by a variety of unit roles (When using the optional formation building rules), one of which is Scout. It's generally pretty difficult to be a Scout, because a lot of the things you might realistically use to scout as a player are slightly beefier and shootier than strictly necessary, and get called "Striker" instead.

Command formations generally function as mobile reserve in larger battles and want to be able to do a little bit of everything.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What are some good sources for clan vehicles, infantry, and mechs that aren't part of the new kickstarter?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BULBASAUR posted:

What are some good sources for clan vehicles, infantry, and mechs that aren't part of the new kickstarter?

Are you looking to load up for a particular scenario or whatever? Most GMs usually lay out the era/tonnage limits before a game.

Honestly I'd tell you, just pick whatever you think looks cool, and paint the poo poo out of them. Here's a bunch of mine I painted up with Vallejo Mecha:

If Gunpla is freedom then Battletech is, uh, like, freedom on cocaine. There's rulesets where like, you can buy a certain mini, and that'll be golden for all of the revisions a certain design might have gotten over the years. Everyone I've met who runs Battletech games is pretty flexible about that sort of thing.

Do not worry about powergaming your way to victory. Battletech is largely an excuse to drink beers and roll dice and hopefully something loving hilarious happens, which it almost certainly does.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 14, 2019

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Well, I'm just thinking of getting stuff that's normally used by my clan around the invasion time, so it can be used later if I want. Stuff like gnome armour and oro heavy tanks. Just wondering what people's sources for minis are besides the dated iron wind metals stuff I guess.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Many designs never got minis or have been out of production for years if not longer. Most of our games involved at least a few "This mech is playing the part of a different mech" substitutions. Moreso if vehicles are involved.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

BULBASAUR posted:

Well, I'm just thinking of getting stuff that's normally used by my clan around the invasion time, so it can be used later if I want. Stuff like gnome armour and oro heavy tanks. Just wondering what people's sources for minis are besides the dated iron wind metals stuff I guess.

Embrace the pewter, you coward.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

BULBASAUR posted:

For most minis in BattleTech, if a mini exists at all it exists from Ironwind. There is no alternate source for tanks/battle armor/etc. In other words:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Embrace the pewter, you coward.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Welp, took the plunge and ordered the base game from CGL, since I'll be getting the clan invasion stuff anyways...

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

The old sculpts for some Clan OmniVehicles (and non-omni) really aren't that bad. Check out https://www.ariesgamesandminis.com/ for a good online store.

Example: https://www.ariesgamesandminis.com/index.php/shopping/product/1094-epona-pursuit-tank-prime-2.html

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Aries gets almost everything from Ironwind. The item code there (AR20-634) is Ironwind's ID for the particular sculpt and you could find it on Ironwind's site too.

Ironwind is the only current licensee for BattleTech miniatures, and has been for a very long time (since Ironwind was called Ran Partha decades ago). If you find BT minis, they are probably from Ironwind one way or another.

EDIT: the above is trivia, not a correction or challenge

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Yep! I just generally prefer to buy from Aries because they're quicker to ship in my experience and I find their store to be (honestly just slightly) easier to use than the IWM one.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Aries is great! It has all the obscure stuff I was looking for. Thanks man!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I did a move a few years back and lost a single piece of a mech somewhere. According to the Iron Wind website, it was going to cost me $15 for the piece because of my location. I sent them an email and they ended up mailing me the piece in an envelope free of charge. Iron Wind is alright in my book.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrPop posted:

The old sculpts for some Clan OmniVehicles (and non-omni) really aren't that bad. Check out https://www.ariesgamesandminis.com/ for a good online store.

Example: https://www.ariesgamesandminis.com/index.php/shopping/product/1094-epona-pursuit-tank-prime-2.html

Yeah some real winners for the tank clan in the game based around stuff other than tanks

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Clan Hot Wheels Battle Tractors!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Gaslands here I come.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
yeah man these mechs in this mech game are real stunning

why isn't this game more popular???

e: between the amazing models and taking 12 hours to play a game, I mean

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 15, 2019

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Still, I'm dumb and like space tractors. Though I did find some 3rd party stuff

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 15, 2019

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My friend sent me this page on Facebook. Might be worth looking at for alternative sculpts.

https://www.facebook.com/SteelWarriorStudios/

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat, those are really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty positive whichever guy designed those clan tanks also did the Project Phoenix mechs, meaning they're a horrible monster who should never work again.