Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

SabinBlitz posted:

I hear the developers from Star citizen might need job soon. We could kick-start the whole thing instead of spaceships we now have ground ants you can call them Ant citizens.

Like that train wreck is going to ever die. It's been 2 weeks from self destruction for I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

One day I'll play an MMO where I can be a real witch hunter

One day... but that day is not today nor anytime soon.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
"February update" (note: hasn't been released yet) changes were announced a couple weeks ago- the entire economy is going player-driven. What that means is the only influx of gold into the economy is bounty-like drops called talismans (drops from corrupted) & anima (drops from guardians). All resources have been hyper-localized to their biome, trade posts are now local and the game no longer buys anything, only players. Both buy orders and sell orders.

They've added lawless areas- only actual crims are full loot still but in lawless areas you can kill people without repercussion. You can still only take their inventory, but the lawless areas are in looting areas, and loot in lawless areas has been buffed. There are two lawless areas: brightwood, which was my go-to XP & alchemy component place back when I played, and a small part of myrkgaard. This is at least something to do if you don't have a ton of war money, but I suspect that the collapse of various money making mechanisms (i.e. pipeweed) is probably going to have a bigger impact on pvp in the game. There's also a couple no-sanctuary outposts that are lawless so there are places where as a crim you can at least defend yourself while crafting or whatever.

They're also buffing outposts- more tables, and engineering tables are getting rolled in so landless companies can make siege supplies to take their first claim.

One change that didn't get a lot of fanfare but I think might be really important long term: creating azure mines now requires a rare drop from guardians ("active animus"). Could increasing the cost of rebuilding azure mines be an indication that some of the war changes might get rolled back a bit, or rolled sidewise?

Not clear when this stuff goes live.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
LOL they apparently made you get afk'd after 15 minutes so you can't afk out your 24 hour crim timer anymore.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

30.5 Days posted:

LOL they apparently made you get afk'd after 15 minutes so you can't afk out your 24 hour crim timer anymore.

So making a script to randomly press spacebar every 5-12 minutes is hard now? You can even extend the range to say 5-20 minutes so you sometimes go AFK. It will seem very much like someone that is watching netflix and keeping the AFK timer off. It was pretty much mandatory to do a few hours before a raid in WoW.

Just don't run it 24/7 have it run when you are at work or asleep or doing something else. You really need an 8h window for plausible deniability (you can bake this into your script).

The devs still don't seem to understand what makes a good MMO maybe in another 6 months we'll start getting some sane patches as that sounds like it's getting closer but still worse than the game was at it's best.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Apparently a big update was released today. Someone tell me if the game is playable again.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all
Reading through the patch notes, I'll post what I feel are important changes.

Economy
Everything is localized now, there is NO WAY to check other Outpost's stock unless you physically visit that Outpost. If one Outpost is out of bullets - you need to go to a different Outpost to buy more OR you can put in a Purchase Order for another player to fill. THE OUTPOSTS NO LONGER AUTO REGEN ITEMS ANYMORE. If something runs out, it is gone for good until a player sells the out of stock items to the Outpost directly and not via a PO.

Skills
Removed the Building tree - this also removes any bonuses to Structure HP that used to be given. Everything now has the flat HP it's built with, no adjustments have been made to building HP. (So everything is weak as gently caress to blow up or hammer down now, This means that Hammer Parties could now be viable again.)

War
Even at WAR players are safe in SANCTUARY areas. Criminals are still hosed though anywhere they go.

KEGS NOW DAMAGE EVERYONE/ANYTHING - Friends/Neutral/Enemies people or buildings - doesn't matter, it gets hosed! - Kegs no longer able to be detonated by siege hammers - aka no suicide people. Kegs now cost and weigh more - Hotbar Kegs are destroyed (NOT DROPPED) on death. Unable to Suicide Spawn with Kegs in hotbar to different Respawn points. Kegs in inventory are still dropped on death.

COMPANY SWITCHING BULLSHIT - Characters must wait 24hour before joining a new company, you CANNOT rejoin the old Company for 7 days. - This still does not address the MUSICAL CHAIRS game people can play but it does make it harder for smaller companies to do it. Larger Companies will have more people to shuffle between and therefore can still play the game for longer - as long as they have the Coin to keep buying claims, which isn't hard to earn with a large dedicated group of people. (Basically small companies get hosed here)

Your map will now show which structures are under attack via an active "ping" that shows up. Never wonder what the gently caress is going on where ever again.

Structures
Azoth Wells will now drop their Azoth if destroyed! FINALLY! Jesus Christ.

CampSites
You must now SIT and REST at Campsites to regen HP - You can't just stand around them anymore.

NPC
Creatures/Animals now drop more varied loot. Animals do not "glitch" into things now - should be able to better react to people trying to glitch them. If a player loses aggro of animals when trying to abuse terrain - animals will auto regen to full HP and retreat away from the player.
NPC Humans will now drop grey equipment that can be worn/used - swords, shields, guns, armor, etc. (Considered weaker than crafting it yourself... BUT ITS FREE and you can still like 2-3 shot most people with it anyways so WHO CARES!)

Lawless Areas
Lawless Areas and Outposts have been added - you can basically attack anyone in these areas and not incur the criminal gently caress YOU timer.

Combat
Body Blocking is enabled for ALL players again. Devs have finally squashed "player stacking" by making players 'slide off instantly' - We had found a way to still abuse this in the past but I guess now people are more slippery than before.
Weapon Poisons - all of them - are now toned down.
Healing Gloves now heal less.
People are kicked from the game after 15min if your character is not moving/interacting.
Dead bodies no longer block buildings from being built. (loving FINALLY)
All Armors are stronger.
Melee Weapons are weaker.
Ranged Weapons are stronger but they not longer have hip fire. You have ADS and then you can melee with your bow/gun. No more "running and gunning" via hip fire.
People are now harder to kill in general. TTK has increased EXCEPT IF YOU'RE NAKED - TTK is QUICK.
Being in Light/Med armor = more mobility, jumper farther, dodge roll quicker/farther. Heavy Armor makes you a true "tank" but you're penalized by being slower, stam regen is lower, etc.
Walking Backwards is SLOW - you can't sword and board and walk backwards faster than someone can walk towards you. This makes flanking viable again.

The rest is kind of confusing.....

Shield Bash – We removed the ability to use your primary weapon’s special attack (Q) when you have a shield equipped and replaced it with a shield bash. We hope this plus the equip load changes give some costs to all the benefits the shield provide. (Shields now have more uses I guess?)

Different level block reactions – We added larger and longer block reactions when blocking heavier attacks, to better sell the impact of blocking a large attack.

Block break modifications – We changed the way block break works so that you don’t get as much damage from the attacks that break block, but it causes a longer break animation on your opponent allowing for a follow up. We also added some new sound effects and visual effects when you break a block, to make breaking someone’s block more obvious and cool. (Blocks are able to be more reliably broken now if I'm understanding right.)

Weapon requirements – We changed it so you can no longer use a weapon if you don’t meet the requirements. We hope this creates more unique attribute builds, and removes the relatively “free” magic and shield usage. (No more gloves for everyone unless you actually spec into it)

Breakout mechanic changes – Some of you may not know this, but after you have been hit two times in a row, you can dodge roll out of the second reaction. This breakout mechanic was added to alleviate some of the stun lock that people have been complaining about. We’ve adjusted the code a bit to make it easier to break out, and now also flash the player white letting them know they can hit space to escape. (loving FINALLY. You can't be Q'd to death now with no hope of escape)

Random poo poo
You can NOW see what items you have WHERE at Outposts by looking at your map and opening up the specific Outpost storage. No more wondering where you put that Purple Musket ever again!
Stealth now works - if you are not directly looking at a person that is crouch or prone - they will not show up on your lower left "warning" area thing.
Ingame voice chat now works! (So they say!)
Other random poo poo fixed for QOL - optimization for the game to run better/smoother.
Waypoints are no longer hosed up! Party members no longer stay forever in your group even when they leave the game!
More varied Player Permissions - I'm still skeptical about this... But I haven't logged in to check for myself how it works. This was one of the biggest complaints from many people.
REMOVED WATER MARKS - YAY! This does not mean you can stream the game or share poo poo - they can still find you via Liam Neeson I guess.

OK. SO. Lots of changes here. There were quite a few Devs that were "moved around" inside the team - whatever that means - and it looks like someone FINALLY got their head out of their own rear end and made some DECENT changes here.
I'm actually tempted to get back into the game... Now there was NO server wipe so if any goons want to come back - we'll be at a disadvantage - similar to how we VERY FIRST started out last year. Which is moot anyways because there will INEVITABLY be another wipe someday.

So let's talk guys - who feels like jumping back into this poo poo show? And to be CLEAR. This would be just for fun running around as Mercs. I don't want to deal with the bullshit Territory/Claim system unless we have to.

SabinBlitz fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 5, 2019

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
We can make kegs & hammers in outposts now so it could be fun to be pests. The longer keg timer is a pleasant surprise, alongside the rare items necessary for azoth mines & azoth theft (which is a huge deal for clans trying to bootstrap) could be a sign that good wars are coming back. I guess the question is how expensive wars are going to be since I'm still skeptical of going crim or trying to make fun in a lawless zone, but I'm willing to try.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Also I was reading the forums for kicks and giggles.

Apparently Fish and Wildlife left behind quite a legacy on our nightly "Policing Efforts" we used to do. Some people wish we would come back and do our RolePlay "Policing" of the forests again. Cloak and Dagger has been trying to do it but I guess they suck at it. People want a good and proper RolePlay shakedown LOL

I've decided after dicking around in a random company as a smurf for a few days that things still aren't quite there yet in terms of how "WAR" is being done. Crafting and small scale PvP is going nicely though but once you start getting territory things still get super complicated but it IS easier to do hammer shenanigans.

Still some ???? moments when it comes to managing war declarations and all that.

I'll give it some more time but it feels like things are moving back in the right direction.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I got in a couple weeks ago but never bothered to download it. Now that I'm trying the installer just crashes :shrug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Comrayn posted:

I got in a couple weeks ago but never bothered to download it. Now that I'm trying the installer just crashes :shrug:

Is your C:\ drive full? Even if you are installing to another drive. Most installers download to your system temp folder, which is on C:\ unless you have changed that.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

pixaal posted:

Is your C:\ drive full? Even if you are installing to another drive. Most installers download to your system temp folder, which is on C:\ unless you have changed that.

I was installing to another drive but the C drive has 51 GB free. It says failed to download or something.

Not like I have any time to play it anyway so no big loss.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

SabinBlitz posted:

Hey guys. You know what makes playing a PvP game more fun? More timers on poo poo.

Age of Wushu had jail timer only count down if you were online. And if you were bad enough criminal, you were scheduled for execution on the evening of next day and you had to be online for that. If you didn't watch your noggin get chopped off, it was rescheduled and you stayed in jail until you went through the whole thing.

You could play weiqi with your prison mates and anyone willing to hang out outside your prison window. Goons got pretty good at playing weiqi. You could also stage a jailbreak if you wanted to bust someone out of the prison but that would alarm all the players that were Wardens and they would run there to beat your rear end.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Comrayn posted:

I was installing to another drive but the C drive has 51 GB free. It says failed to download or something.

Not like I have any time to play it anyway so no big loss.

For whatever reason I found that I needed space free on the install drive equivalent to the full install of the game to update it. So if the original install was 30gb I needed 30gb free to update it even if the update was only 5mb.

Orv
May 4, 2011

D-Pad posted:

For whatever reason I found that I needed space free on the install drive equivalent to the full install of the game to update it. So if the original install was 30gb I needed 30gb free to update it even if the update was only 5mb.

Certain engines replace entire file structures for any patch due to poo poo beyond my ken, Crytek (Lumberyard is Crytek) and UE in particular. It's annoying as gently caress.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Got an invite for this thing. Goons still on?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

There may be one or two floating around inside Cloak and Dagger.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Apparently they just released a big update and invited several thousand new players. Update has a new zone and some random fixes and improvements but nothing to the siege system goons have been complaining about.

I still think this game has a lot of promise but still has a ways to go and could go either way.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
This seems more stable in alpha than Ark and pirate Ark are now.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

It's been very stable since I got in last November. The PvP in small/med size fights are awesome and getting better, especially with the balance passes.

Siege/Territory system is still pants on head on fire retarded aka musical chairs bullshit.

When that gets at least half way addressed I'll probably play again.

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
Got in today as-well. Popped into the disco listed in the OP, hit me up on US east if you wanna figure this thing out.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I've never played a sandbox survival game. After putting 2 hours into this game I think I can say with confidence that I do not like sandbox survival games.

Died twice at level 1 to a level 1 murderer (first 1v1, then him and his level 2 buddy), got reamed by a tag team of a teleporting wolf and spooky blue ghost man, and later I shot an arrow at one wolf and 2 more appeared and ate me. I'm probably just poo poo at the game, but starting over with nothing each time is crushing. By the end of it I was naked because I had died so much and never once found the material needed to repair things and had nowhere close to enough materials to craft the armor I knew how to craft.

The game does basically nothing to ease you into it's punishing design. Is it safe to attack this monster? Only way to find out is to risk literally everything!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Clanpot Shake posted:

I've never played a sandbox survival game. After putting 2 hours into this game I think I can say with confidence that I do not like sandbox survival games.

Died twice at level 1 to a level 1 murderer (first 1v1, then him and his level 2 buddy), got reamed by a tag team of a teleporting wolf and spooky blue ghost man, and later I shot an arrow at one wolf and 2 more appeared and ate me. I'm probably just poo poo at the game, but starting over with nothing each time is crushing. By the end of it I was naked because I had died so much and never once found the material needed to repair things and had nowhere close to enough materials to craft the armor I knew how to craft.

The game does basically nothing to ease you into it's punishing design. Is it safe to attack this monster? Only way to find out is to risk literally everything!

These types of games are terrible without a group. The group play is on the back burner right now, which is why goons aren't actively playing.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Got my invite to this goat rodeo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

Got my invite to this goat rodeo.

Same. Do we have, like, a clan or something?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
From upthread -

SabinBlitz posted:

There may be one or two floating around inside Cloak and Dagger.

But I've not gotten in to check yet.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

If anyone needs assistance in reaching out to some goon friendly companies, PM or post here and I'll try to help out. But there are some Cloak and Dagger guys or even LoD guys in the Discord, message them and they'll be kind to show you the ropes.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

This is cool I guess, why mob tagging isn't a thing is weird though, had to murder some rear end that just followed me around last hitting everything. Now apparently I am a murderer so I just went and hide and logged off.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so does this game exist or are they just talking about changes they're making that nobody sees because its still an alpha or whatever. and if it is real, does it suck? it sounds like it sucks

Orv
May 4, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

so does this game exist or are they just talking about changes they're making that nobody sees because its still an alpha or whatever. and if it is real, does it suck? it sounds like it sucks

It's real, it has some cool ideas and a pile of bad developer choices. No one on SA is really playing in any kind of organized group right now (of goons anyway.)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

it’s extremely early in development, not ready for a beta the public can see, but it has a shitload of potential

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

BadLlama posted:

This is cool I guess, why mob tagging isn't a thing is weird though, had to murder some rear end that just followed me around last hitting everything. Now apparently I am a murderer so I just went and hide and logged off.

Criminal timer requires you to be online for it to go down.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Anyone know how frequently signs up open up?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

pixaal posted:

Criminal timer requires you to be online for it to go down.

If someone attacks you while you're a criminal, and you kill them in self defense, you get another three hours stacked on your timer for murder lol

disorganized crime very much does not pay

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If you go to a lawless outpost or lawless area you can fight back without getting more timer I hear, but yeah, random murder is not beneficial. I just went and found a bush and rocks and prone in them for 3 hours until the timer vanished.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

There should be a way to half a timer somehow. It's just such a stupid mechanic right now. Don't get rid of it completely but depending on X amount of hours pay X amount of money to half the duration - you can do it once per... 24 or 48 hours or something. It's such an annoying mechanic. It's not UNNECESSARY because I understand it's purpose and all that but don't punish the PvP'ers so harshly.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Punishing murderers hard is fantastic, they just need to find a way to deal with criminals having non-flagged friends helping them, being a shitbag criminal should absolutely turn you into a pariah with lasting costs. Jumping people trying to do PvE content isn't "PvP" it's just sociopathic griefing and attempting to justify it as anything else is pathetic.

I say this as someone whose timer was just over 24 hours with posses chasing me away from strongholds

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 30, 2019

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Yeah I like how severe it is, but right now the system is easily trolled but it is alpha or whatever.

I am assuming in the future people can make alliance's and things and then go to war and you can always attack members of the enemy without consequence or something.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
So far this is like uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Albion + Dark Souls with a dash of Rust. Just a dash, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck

Wheeee posted:

Punishing murderers hard is fantastic, they just need to find a way to deal with criminals having non-flagged friends helping them, being a shitbag criminal should absolutely turn you into a pariah with lasting costs. Jumping people trying to do PvE content isn't "PvP" it's just sociopathic griefing and attempting to justify it as anything else is pathetic.

I say this as someone whose timer was just over 24 hours with posses chasing me away from strongholds

Imagine being this guy playing a game like Darkfall for the first time. Probably spends a lot of time posting on the EVE forums, too.