Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

division 2 :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeoBattard
Sep 27, 2019
I am currently subscribed and playing both Eve Online and Elder Scrolls Online. They both offer enjoyable game play but these days no MMO gives me the level of enjoyment I had when MMO's first started to become a thing. I suppose that I continue to play out of habit.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
WoW Classic boy-o!!! :getin:

It's made me realize how much I hate level scaling in RPGs. Vanilla GW2 and ESO are just so boring to me because I never feel like I'm progressing, it just feels like you're either max level or you're not.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I know Warframe isn't an MMO or whatever but that game finally got me once I understood the disparate systems in play. I also roped an IRL and online friend into it and smashing baddies as biomechanical cyborgs is very fun

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'm waiting on the new WoW Recruit a Friend so I can give that sub to a friend when I come back to finish up the stupid flying achievement before next expansion.

I really wanted to get into Dungeons and Dragons Online but I..

A...haven't played it since launch and it looks super complicated now.
B...have no one willing to go in with me for groupage.
C...have this compulsive problem that I can't play F2P and have to own all the content, and that's a LOT of content to purchase.

So, I installed Age of Conan instead to just bust through all the story content I missed. I make terrible life choices.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I’m thinking about Eve again but all my poo poo is in 0.0 and I’m not sure if goon swarm still owns that station lol

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012
Preparing for ArcheAge Unchained, prior to that was playing WoW classic. Recently returned to EVE again, just not feeling it anymore. So now its the long wait till Oct. 15th when AAU goes live.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Givin posted:

So, I installed Age of Conan instead to just bust through all the story content I missed. I make terrible life choices.

I can't believe Age of Conan is still alive.

I'm re-downloading SWTOR now after not having played for two years although I'm just doing it to kill time until ArcheAge Unchained and can't stick to a single player game because i'm in a MMO headspace.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Three.

WOW (not much lately since classes are interfering with raiding with my guild)
Runescape (picked it up recently, doubt I'll stick with it terribly long)
Eve Online (like that lovely ex you keep going back to)

And I will be picking up SWTOR again when the expansion hits.

I like MMOs.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Virigoth posted:

I’m thinking about Eve again but all my poo poo is in 0.0 and I’m not sure if goon swarm still owns that station lol

There aren't even player owned stations anymore lol

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Resting Lich Face posted:

There aren't even player owned stations anymore lol

Well gently caress

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Virigoth posted:

Well gently caress

Means your poo poo is probably in some backwater lowsec NPC station.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

nessin posted:

I can't believe Age of Conan is still alive.

I'm re-downloading SWTOR now after not having played for two years although I'm just doing it to kill time until ArcheAge Unchained and can't stick to a single player game because i'm in a MMO headspace.

Funcom just had 29% of their stock bought up by Tencent. They are going to be pumping out lovely halfass attempts at MMOS/RTS/Sandbox games for a looooooooooooooooong time now.

They are about to do to the Dune franchise what they did to the Conan one. Sad times indeed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Givin posted:

They are about to do to the Dune franchise what they did to the Conan one. Sad times indeed.

Make a low budget mini series? I'm confused, I thought they already did that.

Wait they did. I have the DVDs. (I recommend not buying either TV show if anyone is curious, even - nay especially - if you're a fan)

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Givin posted:

Funcom just had 29% of their stock bought up by Tencent. They are going to be pumping out lovely halfass attempts at MMOS/RTS/Sandbox games for a looooooooooooooooong time now.

conan exiles got pretty fun though.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
My GF roped me into Mabinogi, and somehow, despite being an oldhead offering from Nexon, it's not P2W???

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Jimlit posted:

conan exiles got pretty fun though.

This seemed fun but I couldn't get past the impenetrable first couple hours. I think I was mainly upset that the devs were clearly ripping from Ark but I couldn't tame and ride every creature i saw.

Corgiflop
Dec 1, 2005

Maximum Derp

Sordas Volantyr posted:

My GF roped me into Mabinogi, and somehow, despite being an oldhead offering from Nexon, it's not P2W???

When I first started playing back in 2008 or so, it was pretty much a requirement to pay in order to rebirth or participate in storyline content. I was glad that they eased off of both of those later on, and I'm also glad to hear that it's still the case! :3:

I miss the game, but at the same time I did swear off of Nexon games for a while.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like the next big MMO is going to be the one that does away with increasing your numbers for the sake of numbers and let's someone who has played for 1 day compete with people who have played for 100 days.

Imagining something similar to a better-made minecraft PvP faction server, where anywhere from one person to a group of dozens can make a mark on the world and pool resources with risk and rewards for gaining those resources, something where if you got your friends to join their only barrier is knowledge instead of a giant wall of numbers and hours making them worthless and if you died and lost everything it didn't require doing a 5 hour weekly raid for a 2% drop chance to re-equip yourself.

When me and a few friends started on our server we explored around and found a place to start building a walled city, eventually getting more friends to join in and defend from sieges and the occasional lone thief or small raid looking for loose supply chests and launching our own raids against larger cities, the longer we played the more elaborate we built the city and more knowledge we gained of things like redstone to create some crazy traps and doorways or expanded our maps to find untapped mineshafts or player built structures.

I just think less and less people are going to want to commit to games with long number increasing grinds if they already play a bunch that do that, they will just want something they can load into and have fun without 3 months of prep-time to reach the "fun".

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
And on another note, who remembers Everquest Next and how it went from something with a promising concept to keep an eye on to a scam that tried to sell pre-alpha crafting boosters a week before shutting down, I feel it's worth kicking that old corpse of a game for laughs still.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 13, 2020

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
This is going to sound ridiculous, but Fallout 76 came really close to being something similar to that game. At first I thought it was crazy that you'd be on a different server every time, but it ended up making the world feel a lot larger. And the pool of players was small enough that you'd start to see familiar faces after a while.

... I liked that game :(

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

And on another note, who remembers Everquest Next and how it went from something with a promising concept to keep an eye on to a scam that tried to sell pre-alpha crafting boosters a week before shutting down, I feel it's worth kicking that old corpse of a game for laughs still.

Honestly had they added decent combat and offered player run servers it could have taken off pretty easily. I know me and a bunch of buddies were hoping that would happen.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This is going to sound ridiculous, but Fallout 76 came really close to being something similar to that game. At first I thought it was crazy that you'd be on a different server every time, but it ended up making the world feel a lot larger. And the pool of players was small enough that you'd start to see familiar faces after a while.

... I liked that game :(

It's just such a bad game that your take on it beggars belief

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's just such a bad game that your take on it beggars belief

I disagree. In my experience most people with this opinion never really played it. I'm sure someone is angrily typing a paragraph to prove me wrong as we speak. To me FO76 is what I wanted 7 Days to Die to be. That game is way shittier and jankier than FO76.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 13, 2020

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

:whitewater:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Sometimes a bad video game is just a bad video game. You don’t need to die on this hill my guy, we have all fallen for a bad video game.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah we should go back to talking about Nexon games and Age of Conan

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I liked making my UO style castle in Landmark. That was about it.

If I could get into the camelot unchained beta before it implodes I would make one there, too.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

lmao you're the saltiest hold out for F76

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Speaking of AoC. I had some vet points I never spent and thought I'd play again as a lark to use them up. I tried the permadeath mode they recently added and it was actually a fun challenge. Would like to see that type of thing explored more in other mmos.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
WoW Ascension has two or three versions of that, but I've never tried it since you might be killed at any time by technical issues like disconnecting or server rollbacks or falling through the mesh

Seems like it'd be the same for other mmos

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 14, 2020

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Jackard posted:

WoW Ascension has two or three versions of that, but I've never tried it since you might be killed at any time by technical issues like disconnecting or server rollbacks or falling through the mesh

Seems like it'd be the same for other mmos

Ascension is a great concept with horrible balancing and execution. Haven't tried it in like 2 years though so maybe they've improved it since.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Are there any good MMOs where people own actual in-world (non-instanced) territory for your guild or whatever anymore? I played EVE a while ago, and I miss Darkfall, and Albion Online has a really watered down version where the owner of cities doesn't really matter. And actual good PvP.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Anarchy online 2 will be great

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i tried WoW again. it's unfortunately very good fun but I'm so glad I sat this fuckin expansion out.

there's probably a good case for only playing WoW in the last months of an expansion, when the bullshit is ironed out & the content is all doable right after you hit level cap. I don't know if any other games have the same pattern every ~year to minimax your time investment vs actual game in this terrible dead genre.

e: WoW classic made me realize I'm a proud casual cause that poo poo is unplayable.

I disagree. In my experience most people with this opinion never really played it. I'm sure someone is angrily typing a paragraph to prove me wrong as we speak. To me FO76 is what I wanted 7 Days to Die to be. That game is way shittier and jankier than FO76.
it aint a paragraph, but I absolutely guarantee i tried to get value for the £50 i blew like a goddamn moron lol.

gently caress 76 and gently caress Todd.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 18, 2020

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Saint Drogo posted:

e: WoW classic made me realize I'm a proud casual cause that poo poo is unplayable.

Its really a fan service for nostalgic gamers. The pleasure of playing it derives mainly from obtaining iconic loot and doing 40man raids. Current wow has fun gameplay but it has 2 major weakpoints: 1)Gear resets occur every 3 months or so and you have to completely re-gear your character nulling all previous effort, and 2) 20man raids kinda suck, and M+ are 100% unfun (some people like them, I don't see why or how)

Btw you chose the rigt time to join BfA in order to have the most fun with it. I joined Legion during the last months right before the final raid was released and had great fun, because all the content was already out, all catchup mechanics were in place and I could breeze through the content with next to 0 grind. Playing a wow expansion on release makes 0 sense nowadays because of the hosed up pointless grinds and content droughts you have to go through. If I ever join Shadowlands it'll be at least 12 months after its release

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I liked making my UO style castle in Landmark. That was about it.

If I could get into the camelot unchained beta before it implodes I would make one there, too.

EverquestNext just made me realize there are some seriously talented castle designers out there and my dick tower was nowhere near the same league. Despite its girth, and lovingly crafted veins.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
My Everquest Next experience:

Well that and all the fraud on the part of SOE & then later Daybreak.

Nice voxel builder. Not a game.

In case you're wondering - yes I was going to add little voxel crime scene body outlines on the ground but there was a wipe before I could do that and then I lost interest.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Feb 20, 2020

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DancingShade posted:

In case you're wondering - yes I was going to add little voxel crime scene body outlines on the ground but there was a wipe before I could do that and then I lost interest.

Funny enough, after landmark went live they added the ability to make simple quests, so you could've had properly modeled dead bodies and they could be the opener for a fetch quest or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

LeoBattard posted:

I am currently subscribed and playing both Eve Online and Elder Scrolls Online. They both offer enjoyable game play but these days no MMO gives me the level of enjoyment I had when MMO's first started to become a thing. I suppose that I continue to play out of habit.

I started playing eve again too, and I've tried all the big mmo's SWTOR, Star Trek, ESO, WoW, Guildwars - basically just looking for anything that will give me that old feeling I used to have playing MMOs - the feeling like anything could happen and you could go anywhere.
I think I fell in love with the promise of MMOs and then when I got older I realised that MMOs were lovely versions of singleplayer RPGs. I can't figure out why I'm constantly disappointed by MMO gameplay, there's just something about the hotbar, floaty movement and disconnectedness in MMOs that bores me to tears.

Eve is Eve, it doesnt feel like a MMO. Maybe eventually there will be some great universal MMO that isnt hotbar nonsense.