Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
FFXV's soundtrack is actually really good, but like the last post said, a bunch of people choose to listen to the other FF games soundtracks instead when you are given the option, which IIRC is either from the very start of the game or in Chapter 3, you can buy it in the car shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DrNutt posted:

e: Finally getting around to 5 after picked up a cheap GBA copy and now this game fucks.

If you want to have a real good time, join in on the Four Job Fiesta once June rolls around. :getin:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DrNutt posted:

e: Finally getting around to 5 after picked up a cheap GBA copy and now this game fucks.

People have different tastes and I'm not going to knock anyone their preferences, but if what V does is your sort of thing it nails it on pretty much every level.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

DrNutt posted:

I think after playing through most of it, I don't really like FF13 but I love the soundtrack. It's real good y'all.

:nyan: STEP INTO THE RAINBOW :nyan:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vichan posted:

About to dive into FFXIII-2, is there anything I need to know?

Sorry nobody helped out here.

The dialogue choices are purely aesthetic. They're great but serve no gameplay or story purpose .
Monsters are way better at everything than the two main playable characters.
The game loves puzzles. If you want 100% Completion, be prepared to do puzzles. There is one type of Puzzle, a clock puzzle, that somebody developed a solution to. I never knew of this when I played XIII-2 but you can find it online.AAA
Speaking of completion, the game is mostly sidequests. If you ever played X-2, XIII-2 is almost an exact same copy of the "sequel philosophy" it employed. It's much more light-hearted than the first game (X and XIII) and also much less linear. If you wander of doing sidequests, the main story will be a joke in terms of difficulty.

Also despite the fact Lightning is on the cover of the game, she's in barely 1% of the game. Fuckin' Toriayama.

And finally, it's a loving amazing game and my favorite XIII game and I detest how it's become the middle child on this forum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcDzr0PsoE

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 1, 2019

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I will never forget sunleth waterscape. It's so good.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I haven't played an FF game since FFX, so I decided to throw on FFXIII. I got the trilogy of games from a friend. I've loved every Final Fantasy game I've played. Hell, I even liked The Spirits Within and Advent Children.

I kind of hate FFXIII? Maybe I'm just annoyed, or because I'm getting old my attention wanders more than it used to.

The story and design makes my eyes glaze over, but the combat is interesting and I like getting the Crystarium to fill up. The cinematics are pretty, and the big open area I'm in now is sunny and has interesting beasts stomping around. I'm close to the end of the story, but doing the (60-ish!) L'Cie/falcie/whatever missions to level up etc. is a real slog. I'm basically doing the Titan trials but I can't be arsed to just power through and get it done.

Any tips for Final Fantasy XIII fatigue? Should I just go play the end game and forget about the sidequests?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I haven't played an FF game since FFX, so I decided to throw on FFXIII. I got the trilogy of games from a friend. I've loved every Final Fantasy game I've played. Hell, I even liked The Spirits Within and Advent Children.

I kind of hate FFXIII? Maybe I'm just annoyed, or because I'm getting old my attention wanders more than it used to.

The story and design makes my eyes glaze over, but the combat is interesting and I like getting the Crystarium to fill up. The cinematics are pretty, and the big open area I'm in now is sunny and has interesting beasts stomping around. I'm close to the end of the story, but doing the (60-ish!) L'Cie/falcie/whatever missions to level up etc. is a real slog. I'm basically doing the Titan trials but I can't be arsed to just power through and get it done.

Any tips for Final Fantasy XIII fatigue? Should I just go play the end game and forget about the sidequests?

I didn't bother with the sidequests beyond unlocking fast travel and chocobos. If you're having trouble with the final boss, Vanille of all people is really good against them due to Death doing a ton of damage with a small chance of just outright killing them.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Ignore the story. It's awful and it will just piss you off.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
FFXIII is a weird reverse Persona where the characters are so much better outside of the context of their original game so you might hate someone in XIII but love them in the sequels or in cameo appearances

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What I have decided about trying to play FF13 a bunch of times and getting burnt out on it is that I have come to appreciate and love all the characters and just wish they were in a better game. So I'm pretty stoked to wrap it up and move on to 13-2 and LR.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

The dialogue choices are purely aesthetic. They're great but serve no gameplay or story purpose .
How could you forget. There's a mainline boss you defeat by dialog choice. It is the best dialog choice in the game, or maybe in all games.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Just play through the rest of the story. There is a post-game mode where you can do the rest of the sidequests, and i think a lot of them are expected to be tackled then.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zedprime posted:

How could you forget. There's a mainline boss you defeat by dialog choice. It is the best dialog choice in the game, or maybe in all games.

That's one time and it's pretty far into the game.

And while I did forget about it, in my defense, I barely consider it a "dialogue option." It's a solution to defeating a boss, not a characterization option that leads to route splits. Then again, I've been playing so much SMT lately that this is probably why dialogue option means that to me at present.

Speaking of choices, XIII-2 has multiple endings which is another reason why it's the best. Chrono style multiple endings are a treasure.

What if AVALANCHE just went and beat Sephiroth and left Shinra alone? You get the ending where Shinra has them all executed.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 1, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

NikkolasKing posted:

That's one time and it's pretty far into the game.

And while I did forget about it, in my defense, I barely consider it a "dialogue option." It's a solution to defeating a boss, not a characterization option that leads to route splits. Then again, I've been playing so much SMT lately that this is probably why dialogue option means that to me at present.
actually one of the multiple endings is repeatedly failing there, so very slightly technically you're wrong :goonsay:

(but yes you need the Chrono Split ability or whatever it was called to get it anyway)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Fantasy XIII-2: Chrono Break

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's one reason I hang onto a book I got as a gift when I was 8. The other is that it's a good book with fond memories even if I don't really read it anymore (The Way Things Work).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Guess it was a copy of Lightning Returns.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I'm close to the end of the story, but doing the (60-ish!) L'Cie/falcie/whatever missions to level up etc. is a real slog. I'm basically doing the Titan trials but I can't be arsed to just power through and get it done.

There's some cool missions left in/after the Titan Trials, but I can understand getting fatigued since there's a lot of really dull missions you have to sort through without knowing whats ahead. Especially the Titan Trials since you have to do that section multiple times to get the different routes and fights there. So if you're getting tired of it, just continue on playing and try to beat the game, since the game will give you chances to go back to finish after you beat everything. You're probably more than leveled up already for tackling endgame.

Fwiw, if you like the combat/crystarium stuff but don't like the story/characters, that's pretty normal even for the people who like FF13, so maybe you are just more annoyed at the game rather than hating it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love FFXIIi, its probably my favorite final fantasy, and I will never ever recommend anybody watch a single second of its garbage story

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Barudak posted:

I love FFXIIi, its probably my favorite final fantasy, and I will never ever recommend anybody watch a single second of its garbage story

XIII had a great mythology, it’s just too bad it was tucked away in the data log, instead of being shown on screen.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Don't doxx me

Barudak posted:

Same.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rirse posted:

Guess it was a copy of Lightning Returns.

:golfclap:

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I'm just starting to play FFXV and I'm just wondering if you guys have general tips for it.

Also, can I sell all the random crap (treasure) that I find or will I need some later for some quest or something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

New Wave Jose posted:

I'm just starting to play FFXV and I'm just wondering if you guys have general tips for it.

Also, can I sell all the random crap (treasure) that I find or will I need some later for some quest or something?

Before I Play has the full list of goon tips:

Long and short, dont sell the engine blade ever you originally couldnt but now you can due to ng+ but still dont. Ignis regroup and Promptos starfall are the best two skills to buy at the start, you should buy all the boys an extra accessory slot asap, weapons that are equipped but not active still provide their stat boosts, dont buy any AP generating skill theyre a waste, and airstep and aerial moves are all great purchases for your boy noctis.

Lots more than that but the game aint hard and youll beat it no problem no matter what you do.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Origin posted:

XIII had a great mythology, it’s just too bad it was tucked away in the data log, instead of being shown on screen.

It suffers from dropping you in the middle of what is technically the beginning of the end.

You're thrown into the start of the bad guy's endgame plan. You're forced to keep up with a mythology and terms all the characters already know while also learning new twists they don't. Having these twists intertwined with vague information isn't totally conducive to great storytelling.

Flashbacks are mostly character-driven rather than world-building, which is fine, but without context it suffers. When you first meet Snow you learn he's part of a resistance group but never really why or how they became a resistance group. Little things like that would have helped immensely.

It makes me wonder if there was ever a prequel game planned where you're a character finding out the big plan or learning about how evil The Sanctum is, before things move over to Lightning's story. Sort of how FFVII starts out as AVALANCHE vs Shinra, laying things out before the big conspiracy and twists reveal themselves.

Ventana posted:

There's some cool missions left in/after the Titan Trials, but I can understand getting fatigued since there's a lot of really dull missions you have to sort through without knowing whats ahead. Especially the Titan Trials since you have to do that section multiple times to get the different routes and fights there. So if you're getting tired of it, just continue on playing and try to beat the game, since the game will give you chances to go back to finish after you beat everything. You're probably more than leveled up already for tackling endgame.

I beat the game last night, powering through the Orphan's Cradle gauntlet/never-ending padding before the big boss. It was easy because I had been leveling through the crystarium with most of the trials complete and just battling beasties in the open-world sections. I don't know how I'd feel about it if I was still at scrub levels going immediately into it.

I don't think the game really earned it's ending, but it was still oddly satisfying. It's easy to manipulate emotions when you have a very pretty cinematic with everyone looking to the sunrise and the Leona Lewis song playing over everything. This was easily the best-looking, best-directed cinematic of the game and they saved it for the very end. I also thought that despite all the story snafus, the game was really successful at character development, showing things in really subtle ways. Hope and Lightning go from being only whiny and grumpy annoyances to actual three-dimensional characters. That was nice.

Serah and Dajh just walking up to you like they were just hanging out somewhere else in the whole game was lame as hell though.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Hope comes out of the game as my joint favourite character next to Sazh. His arc payoff in Palumpolum felt really satisfying to watch, when he finally gets the nerve to confront Snow, and also Hope's relationship with his dad.

I just hate the battle system and the story is told in a really crappy way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if anything the characters in FFXIII go through anti-development, losing everything interesting or conflicted about themselves to become blank-eyed exposition machines by chapter 10 or so

snow in particular had a neat thing going where his heroic bravado was just a thin excuse for him to indulge his borderline-suicidal self-loathing (leading to his eidolon fight, where the shiva sisters force him to decide whether he really wants to live by tanking as many of their blows as possible), and then the game just forgets about it until Lightning Returns

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
WAS AVALANCHE the baddies?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's been years but I'm still offended by the fact the main story lies to you.

There is no "Maker" or God who created humans and fal'Cie. The mythology Cid gives you is total bullshit. He makes it sound like there was one God and He made humans and fal'Cie and that's the end of it. Only there's Lindzei, Pulse and the sequels introduce a few more.

Yes, Lindzei is mentioned like, once by Vanille I think but it's never explained and I sure as gently caress didn't remember that. I remembered Maker this, Maker that, etc.. That's all anybody talks about after Chapter 10 I think it was.

So when XIII-2 came out and I had just finished XIII and thought I had a handle on everything, and then some people on a forum told me I was all wrong because I had only followed the main story of XIII, i said gently caress it all for years.

I was decently impressed though in my second run of XIII to discover Yeul was already conceived of in XIII itself. I always figured XIII-2 was pulled out of somebody's rear end.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this is art

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Everything is explained in the sequels but it's all equally stupid.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The final boss of FFXVI should be the FFXIII trilogy

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fabula Nova Crystalis was worth it for Lightning to figure out that the world was stupid and the mythology was stupid so she kills god so she can move to France to be a fashion model.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
One of my biggest problems with 13 was that everything was visually overdesigned.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When they say Maker in 13 i think theyre refering to one of the triumverate, Etro maybe?

Cause IIRC there is a maker being, it just made the three lovely gods and then hosed off from reality

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The plot of 13 is that the fal'cie wanted Bhunivelze to come back and do what he then does in Lightning Returns because Etro's children (humans) were really annoying to Lindzei's children (fal'cie) and figured existence would be better off if Bhunivelze packed up and restarted somewhere without a tap into the Unseen Realm.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ManSedan posted:

One of my biggest problems with 13 was that everything was visually overdesigned.

I remember one interview circa ‘09-ish where they had one designer working on a single rock for three days, without a hint of self awareness over how insane that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ManSedan posted:

I liked the XV approach to summons, at least. That direction of overdesigning was way, way cool but I don't think that'll continue. The series will just keep on lurching back to car-sized summons.