Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Bender Should Not Be Allowed (Back) On Television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Lol just read that this 4th and final part also ends on a cliffhanger.

WILL NEVER WATCH.

Thank you for your sacrifice, brave goon who wasted their time watching this to give warning.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gildiss posted:

Lol just read that this 4th and final part also ends on a cliffhanger.

WILL NEVER WATCH.

Thank you for your sacrifice, brave goon who wasted their time watching this to give warning.

Dies and it lived, pointless soap drama.

On episode 3 and it continues to be hilarious how characters continually risk their lives for their friends, only to two scenes later be telling them to shut up cause they're being annoying.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched 7 episodes of this season while dismantling my bed earlier and it continues to be “fine, I guess”

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Episode 3 is just an American Dad episode with no B plot.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 10, 2022

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
I felt Part 4 was alright, but far too late in the series. It finally explained some things and established some real stakes, and if this were Part 2 or Part 3 I'd be inclined to say it was heading in a promising direction. If it keeps going like this it might end up being decent, but that doesn't change there are 20 episodes of meandering nothing across the whole thing so far. It leaves me wondering how well things would flow if the Parts didn't have giant breaks between them, since it seems to be treating each season as a single season but keeps trying to throw in some cliffhanger break at the midpoint. The stuff with the troqs was introduced, explained, and built to something over these 20 episodes, but who can be bothered to give a poo poo when we waited nearly a year in the middle and with the show constantly deflating its own tension?

This Part was also fond of making offhanded callbacks. Reincorporation is good, but it's been two years in some cases since some of the things they're casually referencing happened and I could not be bothered to recall them--the old lady's chopped-off arms especially. Hell when that got introduced more than twenty episodes ago it wasn't played up as being special.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

I'm just speculating but there's not going to be another season. A lot of people have new projects.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Taear posted:

Honestly the last revival was pretty bad. Their current events episodes were total poo poo (especially robomarriage)

Eh, some of my favorite jokes are in the revival. You just have to slog through some real garbage to get there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Comedy Central episodes were mostly pretty bad and that iPhone/Susan Boyle one is a loving crime against humanity, easily one of the worst episodes of any show I’ve ever seen

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

On episode 5, and dear lord. Can't enjoy characters reunited for more than five minutes before they hate each other again. & it's like they spent half this season just undoing all the world change from the last season.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Fast forwarded through the last episodes out of curiosity for how they were going to wrap the show and... yeah, it ends on another cliffhanger. This will never mean or amount to anything.

Feel like this pretty well sums it up:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

The Comedy Central episodes were mostly pretty bad and that iPhone/Susan Boyle one is a loving crime against humanity, easily one of the worst episodes of any show I’ve ever seen

That episode gets a bad rap because the Susan Boil reference was dated at the time and pretty groan-worthy. But aside from that, it's a decent episode. Also the source of arguably the most popular/famous Futurama meme SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

There are FAR worse episodes in the revival

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, this was fine, probably the best half-season, but I'm reminded of how the Futurama writers got into the habit of writing their last episode of a given production order as a possible series finale and boy this show definitely didn't do that. I suspect the final final shot was a late addition, like Leela's last line in Devil's Hands.

Maybe they could finish the story in a netflix movie? Yeah, probably not.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arbite posted:

Maybe they could finish the story in a netflix movie? Yeah, probably not.

I do sorta wonder if anyone would care enough for them to want it

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

The World Inferno posted:

Fast forwarded through the last episodes out of curiosity for how they were going to wrap the show and... yeah, it ends on another cliffhanger. This will never mean or amount to anything.

I did the same thing, and during the final scene of the last episode, I almost started laughing in disbelief. Every single season of this show has ended in the same goddamn way with Dagmar popping up in literally the last few minutes to set up yet another cliffhanger. Do the writers really think any viewer at this point can sincerely react along the lines of "Oh, WOW! How is Bean going to be able to get out of this one?!"

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 10, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Season 3 recap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9stz19xB5k

Yep, still as pointless and disjointed as I remember it.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I wish this show was actually funny or interesting. I guess I’ll still finish the season anyway.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I finished the season. It's an interesting ending to the show. Kind of a downer, but not all stories end well for the protagonists and I guess not all secrets need to be explained.
Now I just hope they don't revive it and ruin the writers artistic inspiration. The show is finished and all stories are told.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'm halfway through and the show is still doing the lowest hanging fruit for every joke.

I'm pretty sure I said this about earlier seasons too, but every joke is from the 30 year old Groening playbook. If you've ever watched the Simpsons or Futurama you'll know every punchline before they've even finished the setup.

Also, my god, do they drag out every joke. What would have been a five second joke in Futurama now takes them 30 seconds to get to the limpest resolution. In one scene, Beanie and the others are running through the castle to get somewhere dangerous. Okay, maybe toss in a quick visual joke along the way as we change scenes, no worries there. But in Disenchantment, they just have the characters run through room after room after room, and there's no point to any of it. It just keeps going on and on.

After about six rooms and hallways, they have the two tiny pages break off from the group and hide in their own tiny rooms. That's it, that's the joke. Again, the most obvious possible joke they could make and it took ten times as long to get there as earlier shows.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

The second half of the episode order is always head and shoulders above the first half. It's not laugh out loud funny but it is less annoying than Season 3. It's a shame because Steamland and the character animations are really A+.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Season 3 recap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9stz19xB5k

Yep, still as pointless and disjointed as I remember it.

uuughhh it's not a good sign that I can't even make it through the 4 minute recap (although jeez that video is amazingly boringly written and badly voiced)

I basically do not remember anything about this show besides the broad strokes -- Bean exists, Zog is her father (is he still nuts? is he still king?), Dagmar is her evil mother, her stepmother and half-brother are evil-looking but p chill, and Elfo and Luci are also there although I can't remember if either of them are alive or dead. Should I even bother with this season? I remember the last one being super hard to pay attention to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm highly attuned to AI movie/media recaps so that link was helpful to me, but I have a rotten brain and intentionally watch movies in recap format too often.

However, recapping all these events, I'm left wondering why. Why are they trying to do this fantasy drama. Simpsons medieval fantasy episodes kind of do the whole Disenchanted thing better. I like a lot of the characters, there are good jokes or gags here and there, funny voice acting talent. It just should've just been the sort of adventure/status quo flow of a Futurama episode. A plot of some fantasy thing, B plot on some branch off that. Have our gang meet-up on a tavern, picking up quests and jobs to pay their tabs and rent or whatever, sometimes getting roped into royal poo poo and intrigue in snippets and episodes here and there.

Or maybe just make Hello From the Magic Tavern cartoon with more out-tavern adventures.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Khanstant posted:

Fantasy tavern

Yea they could have made it work really easily.
It's actually IMPRESSIVE how badly they've completely hosed it honestly.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

... the new season of Futurama is gonna suck, isn't it :(

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Just finished watching season 4 and, yet again, a resounding meh.

The idea of the show is sound. No argument there. The setting and characters theoretically have everything they need to make this one hell of a watch.

But the writing, plotting and pacing are simultaneously ridiculously convoluted and woefully lackluster.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Khanstant posted:

Or maybe just make Hello From the Magic Tavern cartoon with more out-tavern adventures.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

BrotherJayne posted:

... the new season of Futurama is gonna suck, isn't it :(

They're recasting Bender so what do you think?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://ew.com/tv/futurama-john-dimaggio-wont-voice-bender-revival-for-now/

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
This is a real dumb thing nobody should care about but of all of the things I could criticize about these episodes I really just want to know why a show that makes it's single most prolific joke the fact that people fall from the castle into the water constantly then try to use the cliff and the fall to create tension. Someone falls into the water dramatically ...ROLL CREDITS, Somber end theme.

Not only is the court jester's entire character based on the fact that he is constantly thrown out of the castle almost every episode but the one time it was portrayed to be fatal with the land vikings they turned out to have survived. But still characters are extremely concerned about it when the episode needs a more serious tone.

I think that sums up my problem with the show without a huge dissection. It's a dumb joke and a minor inconsistency that isn't important or normally worth mentioning but the shows biggest established joke is completely ignored from scene to scene, seemingly at random. I think this is a good example of the bipolar writing.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The idea of the show is sound. No argument there. The setting and characters theoretically have everything they need to make this one hell of a watch.

But the writing, plotting and pacing are simultaneously ridiculously convoluted and woefully lackluster.

This is what's resoundingly disappointing everytime I've checked in with the show. Bean is a great character. Elfo and Lucci could be great counterparts. A limited magic medieval world is good. Music great. Lore, probably honestly ok to good.

But the delivery. Oi vey. & paths they've gone down it's so bad.

At this point would be interested to be a fly on the wall of the writers room going into the second half of this season. Are they aware no one is liking what they're dishing. Are they overworked and can't be bothered with writing a good show. Are there ideas getting shot down. What on earth is happening here.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The World Inferno posted:

This is what's resoundingly disappointing everytime I've checked in with the show. Bean is a great character. Elfo and Lucci could be great counterparts. A limited magic medieval world is good. Music great. Lore, probably honestly ok to good.

But the delivery. Oi vey. & paths they've gone down it's so bad.

At this point would be interested to be a fly on the wall of the writers room going into the second half of this season. Are they aware no one is liking what they're dishing. Are they overworked and can't be bothered with writing a good show. Are there ideas getting shot down. What on earth is happening here.

That scene where everyone is watching Bean confront Cloyd and Becky over their plot to use mutant old lady hands to scratch people looking for magic has the Dreamland audience have this exchange

quote:

I didn't see that comin'.

Suspense. That's how they hook you.

It makes me think.
And that makes me angry.

It could be a general joke or an indication of how the writers feel about criticism of the 3 years of releases so far. Not sure.

My best guess is that the writers room lays out a season and then Groening himself does a bunch of first draft rewrites that nobody can overrule. It doesn't explain how the serious portions don't make sense independently but would explain how the show alternates between a serious multi-year long plot and characters completely ignoring that to zing eachother constantly.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The seasons were produced in two batches, not four, so if that was meant in response to criticism it's coming rather late.

The development structure is also why season two showed no real improvement.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What a horrible way to produce a show then, especially animation.

This season was hard to focus on and as a background thing it's curious how much it sounds like like a fever dream sound memory of Futurama. Obviously just because so many shared voice actors, but also just because they aren't really making that much of a new person out of some of these characters, if that makes sense.

I love the main characters and all but drat dude always getting bogged down in serialized adventure I'm not invested in. The show also constantly splits the party, when I think they work best as a trio. Tempter, Coward, Drunk are a fun party platter but they keep knocking it all off the tray.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

College Slice

Khanstant posted:

What a horrible way to produce a show then, especially animation.

Apparently this is going to be more common because of American streaming services getting into the anime game. AoT isn't even the worst case. There's a Crunchyroll original anime that got so stretched that they did 23 episode and then debuted the 24th episode months later because of the "drop it all at once" order.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Nah, anime show development has ALWAYS been hosed like that. Its just crunched to hell.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I just got the episode with Zog in the asylum and I'm not sure I laughed once.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This whole show was a thundering disappointment. I can't believe it leaned even further into its worst tendencies in this latest run.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I just finished the latest season and my overall feeling towards it is meh. :geno:
I do not have high hopes for the latest Futurama revival.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the which is still DiMaggioless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Judging by this thread I probably liked the first season more than just about anyone, but couldn't even finish an episode of this one. It's weird to feel like you simultaneously have more attention budget for the show than the show does for itself and don't care enough about what's happening to follow. My only thought was wondering if it's better or worse than current Simpsons.