Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
The dodge definitely has i-frames, just relatively few. It's easiest to tell when using it against enemies that have a long tracking lunge like the tripod robots and the delver's 1st and 2nd forms. Generally though it's more in the dark souls 2 style of long-reaching dodges that are better suited towards getting out of the way completely and closing distance to attack when the coast is clear. Not to everyone's taste, but I personally find it more interesting than in other games where the "dodge" is really just a QTE invincibility button in practice.

I started a new game from scratch and discovered a few things I thought were interesting:

- You can actually explore the entirety of downtown, complete all of Gideon's Rock, and complete all of AID Command except the boss without setting foot inside Port Nixon to get the EMP drone. It's mostly just used to unlock shortcuts, so it's kind of a nice extra challenge in that way.

- If you do go through AID Command without the EMP drone, the Stranger will be there as if you ignored his AID gear quest, and he'll chastise you all the same even though you never got the quest in the first place. Sometime later he'll contact you to meet him in his hideout for the first time as normal, but when you go there he'll be gone already since his questline is already advanced past that point.

- The impact bonus from RHINO arms is no loving joke. It starts at +25% each and goes up even higher with upgrades. Pair that with one of the heavy duty weapons with 28 impact and you will bully everyone around including bosses. The delver spent more than half of the fight on the floor, especially the 3rd form where literally every single charged attack I made scored a knockdown. That was some sweet, sweet vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I didn’t realize until I started my second play through that the game defaulted to low settings even though my computer can run it much better. I sort of just thought the game had poor texture work.

I started work on a weapon guide but I can’t post it until I’ve unlocked more of the weapons to experiment with directly. I missed a lot of the NPC quests my first run and unfortunately the Fextralife wiki for the game is very sparse.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Almost done with done with a NG run, and I'm still missing some of the drone weapons, somehow. Was there any intuitive way to know that you could get the drone from Cervantes by cutting a specific limb?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I bought the first game on release and just started playing through it a week ago. I defeated the second boss and I'm at the Resolve Biolabs having just met Dr. Chavez, so I figured I'd ask here: should I go ahead and buy the DLC or can it wait until NG+? I was wondering if the difficulty is balanced for that.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GUI posted:

I bought the first game on release and just started playing through it a week ago. I defeated the second boss and I'm at the Resolve Biolabs having just met Dr. Chavez, so I figured I'd ask here: should I go ahead and buy the DLC or can it wait until NG+? I was wondering if the difficulty is balanced for that.

DLC is balanced for NG, not NG+. A Walk in the Park is story heavy, at this point you've advanced past the first half in terms of character progression but it will explain a bit more about what's going on and the second half is higher difficulty. The Good, The Bad, and The Augmented is more experimental/memes/challenge stuff but it's good fun if you like the combat and has strong implants to gently caress around with in NG+. There's two other weapon/armor DLC packs that are free, please download those either way.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Lightning Knight posted:

I didn’t realize until I started my second play through that the game defaulted to low settings even though my computer can run it much better. I sort of just thought the game had poor texture work.

I started work on a weapon guide but I can’t post it until I’ve unlocked more of the weapons to experiment with directly. I missed a lot of the NPC quests my first run and unfortunately the Fextralife wiki for the game is very sparse.

Every fextrafile wiki I've ever seen for any game sucks rear end. Better to hit up gamefaqs when someone writes an faq.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm stuck on matriarch celeste for the moment, so i'm farming the surrounding zone and fuuuuuck the spear guys. nothing in the area fucks me up like they do. it feels like if you slip up for even a second they'll combo you to death with little warning. almost as annoying as the gideon park statues with their straight-on triple stab

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Serf posted:

i'm stuck on matriarch celeste for the moment, so i'm farming the surrounding zone and fuuuuuck the spear guys. nothing in the area fucks me up like they do. it feels like if you slip up for even a second they'll combo you to death with little warning. almost as annoying as the gideon park statues with their straight-on triple stab

Yep, they have a sideways combo chain that comes out stupidly fast and hits like a truck and also builds up stun because gently caress you. They're like the first of the enemies in the second half where I felt like the combat was beginning to fall apart because enemies got way overtuned.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

A Walk in the Park is story heavy

I never got the DLC for the first game. Is this worth revisiting it for?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It's the best content in Surge 1 by far (and so far it's also better than anything in Surge 2 that I've seen, story, pacing and visuals wise).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

timn posted:

I never got the DLC for the first game. Is this worth revisiting it for?

It’s pretty good. There’s some neat weapons, implants, and enemies, the conceit of exploring a twisted futurist theme park is fun, and it’s an improvement in general over the base game. You won’t get as much out of it story-wise since it more so backfills information, but it’s fascinating.

I don’t really agree that it’s better than the second game’s content in terms of area design or enemy/encounter design, but there’s clear continuity there.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Cool! Sounds like I'm picking it up and taking the original for another spin.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The Good, the Bad, and the Augmented is more polarizing, given that it is not particularly story-oriented and is more so just a series of challenge rooms and boss encounters with humanoid NPCs, some new weapons, and a bunch of implants. The new implants and some of the new weapons are really strong, good for deep NG+ runs, and the challenge rooms are entertaining, though it's not anything like a Halo Reach Firefight level of replayability or customization. Personally, I enjoy it and think it's worth it for more stuff to do and mess around with, but you could safely skip it. If you were wondering why there are inexplicably cowboy references and items in The Surge 2, this is why.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

DLC is balanced for NG, not NG+. A Walk in the Park is story heavy, at this point you've advanced past the first half in terms of character progression but it will explain a bit more about what's going on and the second half is higher difficulty. The Good, The Bad, and The Augmented is more experimental/memes/challenge stuff but it's good fun if you like the combat and has strong implants to gently caress around with in NG+. There's two other weapon/armor DLC packs that are free, please download those either way.

I just bought both and I wish I had read the descriptions for the free DLCs because I avoided downloading them due to thinking it was overpowered equipment given to you immediately upon downloading them. I had no idea they were supposedly added into the game world for you to collect through normal progression.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GUI posted:

I just bought both and I wish I had read the descriptions for the free DLCs because I avoided downloading them due to thinking it was overpowered equipment given to you immediately upon downloading them. I had no idea they were supposedly added into the game world for you to collect through normal progression.

They come from enemies with maximum aggression set on their AI so lol if you were having any trouble, good luck getting the gear!

Most of it is fairly novelty stuff but two sets in particular (the ANGEL VI and Asclepius) are really good, like some of the best armor in the game good, and most of the weapons are at least serviceable if not good.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Deck13 has been really good about integrating DLC like that. The URBN guys in the sequel are some bloodthirsty motherfuckers and make you earn that gear.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
One thing I missed on the first run was the keycard to get the full AID Ronin set + the Infected Aeterna weapon. Either the infected Ronin killed me and vanished upon respawn, or I killed him and the dropped keycard was inaccessible. I found 3 normal Ronin encounters + the infected one, but I think I still might have missed one (or at least one of the audiologs).

I also screwed up the progression a bit after leaving CIT for the last time. I somehow didn't notice the different-colored nanite trail of destruction you could follow from CIT -> Gideons Rock -> the bar -> downtown and onward. Suddenly it makes sense why the terrain in Downtown Jericho and AID command as you are following a path of destruction (and it also explains why there are 2 AID Ronin encounters along the route).

Lastly, it is normal to encounter Delver Echo Alpha twice in the same spot? I guess maybe it's optional both times, but I feel like the first time it was a repeat of Delver's first form, and the second was a repeat of Delver's second form. Was there meant to be a Delver Echo Beta and they just never found time and/or a different boss arena for it?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
If I'm following you correctly, the 3rd encounter you're missing is in the plaza area tied to a side quest you can get from someone in cloud nine after beating the boss of AID Command. I believe there's also an achievement for doing all 3 encounters.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Slanderer posted:

Lastly, it is normal to encounter Delver Echo Alpha twice in the same spot? I guess maybe it's optional both times, but I feel like the first time it was a repeat of Delver's first form, and the second was a repeat of Delver's second form. Was there meant to be a Delver Echo Beta and they just never found time and/or a different boss arena for it?

That's weird, I encountered the second form first in each playthrough. But yeah they're in the same place.

I think the Ronin Squad is just kind of buggy. It seems like about 1/3 of the time they just taunt you without ever actually showing up.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Slanderer posted:

Almost done with done with a NG run, and I'm still missing some of the drone weapons, somehow. Was there any intuitive way to know that you could get the drone from Cervantes by cutting a specific limb?

Nope and its his left leg for his drone. There is another drone from a boss, guy in the mech that ends the first half of the game, you have to kill the flame thrower in the second part of the fight.

Slanderer posted:

Was there meant to be a Delver Echo Beta and they just never found time and/or a different boss arena for it?

You fight at at the same spot of the echo beta, I think you are talking about the alpha. The delver echo beta is a required boss of the game. You can skip delver echo gamma and alpha, they have paths you can avoid them.

To avoid gamma, after you come out of cloud 9 in the second half of the game, you fall down the hole next to the first checkpoint you find in downtown. It takes you to the underground, you can then take the underground to the port or other parts of the city if you want.

To avoid alpha, you can just leave the CIT after your visit where you fight the robot boss to gideon's rock. The other exit is to go through the entrance you used from the underground where you spawn in the second half of the game. Then you can take the new hole from the start of underground that brother eli made from the cathedral of the spark. At the entrance to the cathedral there is a nano wall which you can break to get back to the main course of the underground.

Pretty much the underground is the best way to travel for the second half of the game and it speeds up those runs also.

Hang on can you skip the beta version also? I never tried not going up to the chest.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 16, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on can you skip the beta version also? I never tried not going up to the chest.

if that's the underground one, then yeah you just don't approach the chest and it never triggers. i had to skip after it killed me too many times

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
So does a second Delver Echo Alpha appear in the cave with the chest trap or did the game not save when I killed it hours ago?

Reading the above posts I assume the first one was the beta? But the fight seems almost the same as the one in Gideon's Rock.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 19, 2019

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Having nearly finished I have loved the improvements to combat, but you can arrange your implants later on so that you can just brute force the bosses for huge chunks of energy that you can use for health. It's been a significant challenge for the majority though.

I hope they apply their awesome talents to a new IP next. They've improved so much since LotF. Frankly, The Surge didn't need a sequel and the story in the sequel is an embarrassment.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Also I think I just glitched myself into the fight against Arch Eli by climbing some rigging that goes above the echo vision thing and dropping off it. When I die I spawn on the rigging.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 19, 2019

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Just finished the A Walk in the Park DLC for the first game, and it was really cool! A couple of thoughts in particular:

- I wasn't expecting the extra backstory for Warren, and the way it was implemented was very clever and appropriate for the setting.

- They also did a nice job integrating the DLC area into the main game, with two different points of entry and a couple of other nods to make it fit smoothly into the game's story progression.

- In typical The Surge 1 style, the boss was some pretty cheesy bullshit until you had all of the jank memorized well enough to win in a (very) slow and cautious battle of attrition. The entire foreshadowing and build up was really amusing though. You can tell the devs were having a ton of fun making this thing.

- Overall the DLC turned out to be a lot meatier than it appeared at first, with a lot of neat plot points and variation a long the way. When I first heard about the DLC, I thought the premise was a lame gimmick, but I couldn't have been more wrong about that.

Unrelated to the DLC, in going back to the The Surge 1 you definitely notice all of the subtle ways in which it can be a lot less forgiving than the sequel. That said, I think I've discovered a new favorite loadout in the Angel VI set + Codename Moonlight.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

drat this metal gear fight is annoying.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

NVm I beat him

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I guess it's my fault for upgrading everything at the end, but I wasn't expecting to be able to button mash through the final boss without dodging or blocking a single attack lol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

snoremac posted:

So does a second Delver Echo Alpha appear in the cave with the chest trap or did the game not save when I killed it hours ago?

Reading the above posts I assume the first one was the beta? But the fight seems almost the same as the one in Gideon's Rock.

I could've sworn they were both named Delver Echo Alpha, but were the first and second forms of Delver

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Overall:

-Lots of good mechanical improvements from the first game
-Generally excellent level design
-Big fan of the addition of more metroidish elements

My biggest gripe is probably that I just don't like the new setting and general direction of the visual design in this one. The first game had lots of really cool industrial sci fi environments. This just kinda looks like every other futuristic dystopian/postapocalyptic urban game. The nano poo poo was cooler when it was used sparingly and I didn't have 20 crazy purple World of Warcraft weapons. For the most part I used all the weapons/armor from the first game because it all just looks way better than most of the new stuff

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Boooo, I finished The Surge 1 after 41 hours and my game crashed during the ending cinematic so I didn't get any of the completion trophies. Outside the two ending trophy/achievements, the one for not giving Jo any scrap, the Cerberus gear and NG+ boss kill I got every single one including the DLC ones so I guess I liked the game a decent amount since I never tend to bother with achievements these days.

- Combat was great and remained fun through the whole game. Even at core level 100+ near the endgame you could still get easily killed if you button mashed.
- The downbeat sci-fi dystopian setting was superb and one of the main things that kept me going since I tend to get bored with the fantasy Souls games after a dozen hours or so and never finish them. Writing and voice acting was for the most part pretty good. Some good audio logs and dialogue, especially near the end with Guttenberg and Hackett.
- Warren felt like Harkyn from Deck13's Lords of the Fallen in that it seemed like they wanted to do more with him as a character but it never goes anywhere.
- Game really needed a side quest log. It felt too easy to forget about them and end up failing them later on. I got lucky with the Irina one since it turns out you don't have to give her a staff to complete it even if you do end up missing a unique weapon.
- Environment design was a mixed bag. Too many maintenance tunnels which made navigation confusing at times, especially in the final area.
- I spent the large majority of the game in the starting Lynx gear and upgraded it to the max level as I went along. Never found any real reason to switch since the rest of the suits used too much core power for the implant build I had and them not listing their respective bonuses unless you waste resources building the entire set didn't entice me to switch things up.
- Weapon balance was a bit out of wack too for me. I spent the early game using the starting Vibro Cutter and PAX Imperator then once I got the Firebug Throttle 2.0 from the second boss I never used anything else for the remaining 30+ hours and kept upgrading it during the whole game, only switching back to the Vibro Cutter during boss fights and some encounters here and there.
- On that note it sometimes felt like it was a pain to notice if an enemy had a weapon/gear piece (especially the latter) I didn't unless there was some UI indication I missed.
- Defeating the final boss with the Lynx gear and Vibro Cutter was oddly fitting. Too bad about the game crashing and having to see the ending on Youtube though!!!
- The Walk in the Park DLC was pretty good and introduced some much needed enemy and area variety. Good, Bad & Augmented was decent but clashed a bit much against the tone of the rest of the game, especially hearing that guy during the beginning in the spooky underground area of Abandoned Production. I like the bonus Rig costumes you get in it though - I'm running around with sheriff Warren in NG+.
- This might've had to do with the gear I was using but enemies seemed to hit too hard in this game - almost everything could kill you in 3 hits tops. The health energy/kill recharge implants were a lifesaver in this regard and encouraged Doom 2016-style aggression which was a decent contrast to how this genre usually is.
- The boss battles were all right but as usual with these games the camera and targeting got in the way with the large bosses. The second and final boss had some iffy hitboxes.
- The implant system was neat but it could've really used a loadout option.
- Are there any big NG+ changes? I noticed the creepy blood trail during the intro, the gag with the drone getting killed by an enemy during the tutorial and the tougher patchwork armor enemy types. From what I've read there's also a new audio log somewhere?
- I liked the Ops music.
Edit: - I forgot to mention that the drone felt borderline useless and too situational beyond using the laser to kite enemies.

I'll probably be getting the sequel in a few weeks. :shepface:

GUI fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 25, 2019

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All hail pusher drone.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Finished this today and had a lot of fun with it! Cool world, sweet combat (especially when you’re getting parries) and a bunch of good bosses.

I think I switched combat styles like 10 times throughout the game - every time I found a cool weapon it was easy to switch out a few implants and give it a try for a while. For the last couple of areas I settled on brother Truman’s staff with every attack speed modifier I could get my hands on which would let me proc lightning status ailment before most enemies could even get an attack off.

Now to go spoil myself to see what I missed...

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
So I made it to the door right before the big robot fight and couldn't find out how to get it. Turns out I had forgotten about clearing out the giant park and the Delver(of which I feel bad about killing cause he helped me break out of jail and was Athena's pet.). So now I'm deep in the underground and not sure what my motivation is? I think the military is done. I don't know if that church lady knows what I did to her two kids. Or if she cares. And I don't know how to help Athena. Guess I'll just keep killing and upgrading.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The Surge 2 season pass is available today. Looks like you get 1 new weapon immediately, another bunch in November, more gear sets in December and a story DLC in January for $20 (in US at least).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tagichatn posted:

The Surge 2 season pass is available today. Looks like you get 1 new weapon immediately, another bunch in November, more gear sets in December and a story DLC in January for $20 (in US at least).

If we’re using the Souls games as a price comparison that’s a fairly typical price, but not so much for a season pass as for a piece of expansion content. The Old Hunters was $20, while Artorias of the Abyss was $15 and the DS2 DLC packs were $10.

I’m gonna guess that they’re basically just pre-releasing the DLC weapons to market it as a season pass instead of an expansion area, which is interesting. I don’t strictly speaking care about that although I’m going to guess $20 is on the high side for what the DLC will be, given that A Walk in the Park was $15. If it’s at least consistent with the quality of the base game in terms of gameplay I’m ok with that though.

The preview picture there is... interesting. Skull faced crimson baddies, “The Kraken” in what appears to be edgy ‘80s font and it takes place on an “aircraft-carrier.” Fascinating.

The weapon in the preview shot appears to be a Double Duty weapon. Honestly though I’m more interested in new armor and implants, unless the new weapons will do something different or have new animations associated with them. The game already has too many weapons tbh.

Edit: looking closer at the promotional material we’ll be getting 3 new armor sets. Left one is a recycled model from The Good, the Bad, and the Augmented, which is fine. The right one looks silly. But the middle one, :swoon: goddamn it looks amazing, I hope its set bonus is good.

Also they should patch the final boss armor you can wear to give you the cape. :argh:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Is there a way to give yourself items? I did the general fight and got him down to one hit away and decided to try and kill the robot to see if it had a special weapon or whatever.

General eventually walked infront of me and died and I didn't get his arm for the 2.0 weapon which I really wanted because I love the fist weapons.

Anyway it pissed me off and I haven't touched it since. Can I give myself that weapon?

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
I couldnt find the thread foe the first surge so im aaking here. I beat the first smelter, and instead of a shining coin it dropped ironmaus 1 #1. Is this something that was changed in a patch? Ive had the game a while but waited for a sale on the dlc to start it, and the complete edition is 10 on the one and the dlc seperate is around 25. Just curious. Also, how soon can i find any of the dlc weapons or content? The fire and ice, etc. I found the angel enemy near the beginning and i was NOT prepared for that.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Iron Maus comic isn't dropped by it, it's just another pick-up that happens to be nearby. They changed it in a patch shortly after release so you get the coins automatically added to your inventory once you defeat them. The only exception is if you give Irina the staff early on in which case she'll destroy one in Central Production and the coin will appear as a pick-up in place of where you'd fight it (which is right next to another Smelter). Check your inventory.

GUI fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

no gods no masters

First time I've bothered getting 100% trophies on a game since the inFamous DLC in 2014 so I guess I liked it???

The final boss was already annoying enough on the first run but insufferably so on NG+ with the attacks that kill you in two hits, or that one-two sweep attack that practically insta-kills you since the first hit is a stunlock. Or the ground slam attack that sometimes instakills you the moment the battle begins. Or those homing floor shockwave and rock missiles that nearly-instakill you the moment you step into the arena. Or....
It took me nearly two hours and by the end I got through it with a ton of energy generating implants, the MAX version of the health injections and the magnet drone. The concussion drone was also useful for the second phase where I wasn't taking any chances. It was a massive difficulty spike since the rest of the game on NG+ was a breeze. I also had to do it again upon defeating it by restoring a USB save since my game crashed during the ending in the first playthrough so I didn't get the trophy for the other ending and want to move on to the sequel soonish rather than playing through it a third time and having to fight it again but with more health and damage output. :shepicide:

GUI fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 14, 2019