Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think the precision weapons are that much better on PC compared to other weapons, "use only pistol/BR/DMR plus power weapons" has been halo gospel for ages. automatic weapons are pretty dogshit until like... halo 5 lol

vehicles in halo 1 are pretty squishy, in 2 and especially 3 they're quite tanky unless you have explosives(which is how it should be IMO), and then Reach is back to squishy vehicles that get hosed up by bullets.
none of these things are really unique to the current situation, the balance in these games is broadly speaking not great. I remember a lot of forums arguments back when reach came out about how easily vehicles like banshees get killed by normal common weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
oh also anyone who says that controllers have an unfair advantage is mad cuz bad

saw a lot of people on reddit earlier saying stuff like "I used to be a tournament level player and now with kbm I'm always bottom of the scoreboard" like bro... your input device is not the problem here lmao

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

NinetySevenA posted:

There have been some complaints by kb/mouse users that the controller aim assist is too strong. I heard someone say today that the sniper unscoped is the only advantage kb/m has. The DMR is too strong with controller.

I haven’t really played a lot of pvp myself to have my own opinion though.

I don't think that anyone really cares about the actual aim assist, but apparently controllers also enable bullet magnetism. That seems like a really bad decision because you wind up with situations where the controller will perform better entirely due to it being less effected rng, especially at range.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

IronicDongz posted:

vehicles in halo 1 are pretty squishy, in 2 and especially 3 they're quite tanky unless you have explosives(which is how it should be IMO), and then Reach is back to squishy vehicles that get hosed up by bullets.

Halo 1 had indestructible vehicles only though. This isn't to dismiss your point though, because I do generally agree that the vehicles should be stronger against regular, common gunfire in Reach.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

can't wait to play some warthog wars on blood gulch

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

FPzero posted:

Halo 1 had indestructible vehicles only though. This isn't to dismiss your point though, because I do generally agree that the vehicles should be stronger against regular, common gunfire in Reach.
I must be misremembering based on the campaign where you shoot a banshee a few times with the pistol and send it to the shadow realm

BTB is the one and only gamemode I would ever prefer AR starts in reach so that vehicles could be more of the focus. (not that I wouldn't prefer more weapon variety in other gamemodes as well but using weapons like AR/plasma rifle is kind of depressing and mostly means you just w+m1 at people and then melee trade, making more non-power weapons viable in halo would require changing the game pretty extensively)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

IronicDongz posted:

oh also anyone who says that controllers have an unfair advantage is mad cuz bad

saw a lot of people on reddit earlier saying stuff like "I used to be a tournament level player and now with kbm I'm always bottom of the scoreboard" like bro... your input device is not the problem here lmao

yeah I gotta say I think this is probably correct. I'm pretty fuckin bad at games and I haven't noticed particular input types being that much better or worse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
tbh I'm kinda interested in trying to figure out the right settings for a halo custom game with boosted HP, slightly boosted shields, and no headshot kills with the intent to make switching weapons for shields/HP worth it for literally anything besides plasma pistol(as in, plasma rifle/repeater being worth a poo poo) and turning DMR into a long range specific weapon instead of the ultimate jack of all trades

but I imagine it would mostly end up not feeling great despite using more weapon types

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the newer model plasma rifle shreds, I'll swap my ar for it every time

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

eonwe posted:

yeah I gotta say I think this is probably correct. I'm pretty fuckin bad at games and I haven't noticed particular input types being that much better or worse.

i found that in the pistol swat mode i was very consistently doing better in hallways than i was in open areas. in hallways it seemed like i'd run into people who couldn't aim as fast as me, and in open areas it seemed like i would run into people who had better luck with the bloom rng than me. people on the other team using controllers would cause that kind of stuff. it's extremely lame to feel like i have to avoid certain areas of the map because of an rng disadvantage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh6N9PwS6Fc

idk how anyone can look at videos of this and think that it wouldn't have a noticeable impact in multiplayer

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Played a big team Buddy Slayer last night and the game doesn't like spawning you into the VTOL if your buddy is in it when you go to spawn, it just drops you into the sky.

Well like half my team's designated buddies were in that thing so the rest of us just kept spawning in the air and "suiciding" en masse until we all switched to jetpack kits to survive respawning.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

turn off the TV posted:

i found that in the pistol swat mode i was very consistently doing better in hallways than i was in open areas. in hallways it seemed like i'd run into people who couldn't aim as fast as me, and in open areas it seemed like i would run into people who had better luck with the bloom rng than me. people on the other team using controllers would cause that kind of stuff. it's extremely lame to feel like i have to avoid certain areas of the map because of an rng disadvantage

idk how anyone can look at videos of this and think that it wouldn't have a noticeable impact in multiplayer

Of course its going to have a noticeable impact in multiplayer! That's unavoidable.

They basically have two options:

1. Make everybody use M&KB and you lose if you use controller, no bullet magnetism

2. Leave halo bullet magnetism that was designed for controller-only on if you're on controller, but let people use M&KB

Is there a 3rd option you can come up with?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

turn off the TV posted:

Of course it has an impact, but I don't believe it makes controller better than mouse with the disadvantages controller has.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zaphod42 posted:

Of course its going to have a noticeable impact in multiplayer! That's unavoidable.

They basically have two options:

1. Make everybody use M&KB and you lose if you use controller, no bullet magnetism

2. Leave halo bullet magnetism that was designed for controller-only on if you're on controller, but let people use M&KB

Is there a 3rd option you can come up with?

just make matchmaking ques where people cannot use controllers, it seems pretty reasonable

IronicDongz posted:

Of course it has an impact, but I don't believe it makes controller better than mouse with the disadvantages controller has.

the problem i have is that there are situations where a controller is going to be better than a mouse and keyboard and vice versa, and those situations are determined entirely by an rng mechanic. that's really frustrating.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 10, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

turn off the TV posted:

just make matchmaking ques where people cannot use controllers, it seems pretty reasonable

That has the problem of splintering the fanbase and making matchmaking take longer, but fair point that is a reasonable alternative 3rd solution.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll also add just have cross play with Xbox for pc controller users.

Say what you will but long term the population is gonna be mostly on consoles.

That way pc users could also join a huge population just by using a controller and Xbox guys get a boost to their population (there's not as many Xbox systems as there are ps4 systems so yeah)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Tried PC for the first time; what's the deal with the mouse cursor being visible at all times? That's VERY distracting in-game

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Might be a you thing because no one else I know on PC is having that issue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

buglord posted:

Might be a you thing because no one else I know on PC is having that issue.

huh, I played two matches with it like that and quit. Couldn't find a menu option for it. I'll try it again later, maybe it was a one-off

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

kirbysuperstar posted:

Played a big team Buddy Slayer last night and the game doesn't like spawning you into the VTOL if your buddy is in it when you go to spawn, it just drops you into the sky.

Well like half my team's designated buddies were in that thing so the rest of us just kept spawning in the air and "suiciding" en masse until we all switched to jetpack kits to survive respawning.

Pretty sure buddy slayer lets you spawn on anyone on your team if you use the arrow keys.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Pretty sure buddy slayer lets you spawn on anyone on your team if you use the arrow keys.

I think you're right but, welp

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

jivjov posted:

huh, I played two matches with it like that and quit. Couldn't find a menu option for it. I'll try it again later, maybe it was a one-off

Yeah I’ve played a fair bit of both campaign and multi at this point and I have never seen my cursor in game, idk what is up on your side but that is definitely not intended.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I must be misremembering based on the campaign where you shoot a banshee a few times with the pistol and send it to the shadow realm

Campaign Covenant vehicles were destructible, but human vehicles were indestructible. Multi, all vehicles were indestructible.

jivjov posted:

Tried PC for the first time; what's the deal with the mouse cursor being visible at all times? That's VERY distracting in-game

Something's fucky with your box, none of the folks I play with nor myself have that issue.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I was looking some stuff up with the MCC in general since I’m pretty out of the halo and having no real idea what’s up besides “it was busted,” this poo poo is wild.

There’s apparently Halo 1 Anniversary multiplayer, but it was just maps for Reach and that’s available now and just lumped in? But MCC also has uprezzed regular Halo 1 multiplayer? And Halo 2 Anniversary does have remake multiplayer on a new engine but it’s only 6 maps but it has hornets and a mongoose with a gun?

What the gently caress

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I was looking some stuff up with the MCC in general since I’m pretty out of the halo and having no real idea what’s up besides “it was busted,” this poo poo is wild.

There’s apparently Halo 1 Anniversary multiplayer, but it was just maps for Reach and that’s available now and just lumped in? But MCC also has uprezzed regular Halo 1 multiplayer? And Halo 2 Anniversary does have remake multiplayer on a new engine but it’s only 6 maps but it has hornets and a mongoose with a gun?

What the gently caress

Yeah, when the halo anniversary came out, it had its original multiplayer on disc but it was local/system link only just like it was on the OG Xbox, and then there was a Reach map pack with a bunch of updated Halo 1 maps included with it. The master chief collection added online multiplayer to Halo 1's multiplayer for the first time on console

Halo 2 anniversary only exists as part of the MCC, and they did make a special Halo 2 anniversary multiplayer, it's up to 7 maps now. Honestly not sure why it exists when the entirety of the original multiplayer is right there, but it does.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
How do I git gud in this game, I keep getting owned match after match :mad: . Is it just a matter of mastering DMR headshots?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

How do I git gud in this game, I keep getting owned match after match :mad: . Is it just a matter of mastering DMR headshots?

it's all about hiding from the constant barrage of dmr pot shots, only emerging when you have an op weapon

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Switch gamemode to any and then deselect everything but Grifball.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

It's more a matter of learning which areas of the map and which tactics will get you killed and avoiding them. If you think you're dying too much you probably should hang back more.

Not dying is more important than making kills because it both prevents the other team/players making points from you and it also gives you more opportunity to earn points yourself.

This is somewhat a different matter in objective games where kills don't count though, I tend to get solid midtable finishes in slayer games but I top leaderboards in king of the hill for example because I'm apparently really good at suicidally parking my butt on the objective and holding it no matter what.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Halo is also big on knowing the power weapons. You need to be aware of when power weapons spawn because getting them should usually give you a net positive in scoring (as long as you use them in the right areas). At the same time, you should be aware of the enemy's power weapons and vehicles. If their banshee is up maybe get the spartan laser or sniper and take it down quick.

If you're playing 4vs4 just try to learn the power weapons spawns and make mental notes of where each power weapon is (does my team have it? Does their team have it?) I'm a little rusty but power weapons spawn in the same spot and should have something like a 3 minute timer?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

it's all about hiding from the constant barrage of dmr pot shots, only emerging when you have an op weapon

I got first place in a round last night doing this cus I lost my fireteam member (for the third time in a row) and thus kept spawning next to the rocket launchers and poo poo. The covenant version that shoots four rockets owns I had never seen it before picking it up last night and getting like 10 kills every life I spawned there

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It sucks a lot that people can't join games in progress for whatever reason

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

RBA Starblade posted:

It sucks a lot that people can't join games in progress for whatever reason

Nothing worse than having to sit around in a 1 vs 4 because your team bailed within the first 10 seconds of the match.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I'd like to know why there even is a minimum players setting if it's just the exact same value as the maximum.

It doesn't really make sense that games can't start with at least slightly lower player counts if grabbing additional players is taking so long, I've seen a 14 player BTB search just whittle down to nothing when tbh 6v6 would be fine (and any FFA game especially doesn't really need a full roster if it makes games start quicker). I can see this being a much bigger problem too as the player base gets smaller beyond the release rush.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

IronicDongz posted:

I'd say it is and it isn't. Halo, like the Cod games had aim assist with controllers.

From the brief bit I've played so far, there isn't any with mouse and keyboard.

So it's basically a bunch of people whining that they aren't good enough without the game helping them aim.

They're probably being beaten by better players who are more used to non aim assist multilplayer games that have quicker reflexes and accuracy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thom12255 posted:

Nothing worse than having to sit around in a 1 vs 4 because your team bailed within the first 10 seconds of the match.

It's real awful in Invasion because one or two drops guarantees you lose

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The netcode and matchmaking system is old, it's ultimately a legacy Bungie limitation that 343 is not going to invest time to fix. Other games from that era could do in-match backfills and such. It was one of the few genuine improvements 343 introduced with Halo 4.

There's a 2011 GDC talk on this very subject, take a look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h47zZrqjgLc

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 10, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ErrEff posted:

The netcode and matchmaking system is old, it's ultimately a legacy Bungie limitation that 343 is not going to invest time to fix. Other games from that era could do in-match backfills and such. It was one of the few genuine improvements 343 introduced with Halo 4.

You could join games in progress on 360

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dont play slayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Kin posted:

I'd say it is and it isn't. Halo, like the Cod games had aim assist with controllers.

From the brief bit I've played so far, there isn't any with mouse and keyboard.

So it's basically a bunch of people whining that they aren't good enough without the game helping them aim.

They're probably being beaten by better players who are more used to non aim assist multiplayer games that have quicker reflexes and accuracy.

I wouldn't go that far, A lot of the weapons were made and balanced with the bullet magnetism in mind since it was made for the console as It drastically changes the behavior and accuracy of certain guns. Take the Assault Rifle for example with bullet magnetism the bullets will have tighter grouping and have less missed shots per burst, if you shoot it without bullet magnetism it just spreads all over the circle part of the cross hair which is part what makes the AR such trash on PC. the Lack of Bullet Magnetism for KB+M makes a lot of the automatic weapons terrible choices compared to using them on the controller