Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finished the game a few hours ago and I'm still thinking about it.

I'm actually mad impressed they juggled like 30 different themes/references/etc from sci-fi, anime, or whatever you can get your hands on (and even Macross oddly enough out of all mecha, well... untop of all the other mecha they do), like 100 different plot threads and hooks working in wildly different directions, and they actually loving managed to tie everything up coherently.

I do think that 2188 Ryoko being the last human was 100% something they needed to bring up and go into more than they did. I also do think it would have been cool if they merged and flipped Area 3 Wave 10 and the final battle into some two parter or something. I would have been loving floored if after the waves and waves of enemies they send at you in the end, it just ends with a 300 meter tall Super Sentinel or something because video game. Some of the pairings are kinda sweet (Ogata and Kisaragi, Amigiuchi and Takiyama), others are meh (Juro and Megumi), and others are.... ugh (Gouto and Ryoko). But in all, I had a pretty interesting and admittedly fun 40 hour ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Think the combat is too easy? Consider a Shinonome solo run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlBnJy0smUk

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Just started it after buying around black friday. So loving glad i played yakuza 7 first, now i can get into tang's zany bi mess yakisoba pan adventures

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

MorningMoon posted:

Just started it after buying around black friday. So loving glad i played yakuza 7 first, now i can get into tang's zany bi mess yakisoba pan adventures

Hijiyama made me slightly wish I'd played Yakuza 7 in English, Tang is hilarious

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have been trying to get everybody I can to get this game. It rules so much!

Hemborger

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I beat this last night and I think it might be my GOTY for 2020, even if I did only finish it as the year rolled over. I haven't binged a game as hard as this one and been blown away by the story in I don't know how long... I need to go around harassing all my friends to play it now, cause it deserves so much more attention for how good of a scifi story it is.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Finished this earlier today, and it's a goddamn masterpiece.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Overlord K posted:

I beat this last night and I think it might be my GOTY for 2020, even if I did only finish it as the year rolled over. I haven't binged a game as hard as this one and been blown away by the story in I don't know how long... I need to go around harassing all my friends to play it now, cause it deserves so much more attention for how good of a scifi story it is.

I’ve been harassing people to play it and not a single person has bit. It’s sad

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

thetoughestbean posted:

I’ve been harassing people to play it and not a single person has bit. It’s sad

Same. My one friend started it, then went back to AC: Valhalla. :sigh:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I keep wanting to post my impressions of various points in the story as I get there but every single post I think about making is just some variation of "What the gently caress game, stop TOYING WITH MY EMOTIONS"

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

S.J. posted:

I keep wanting to post my impressions of various points in the story as I get there but every single post I think about making is just some variation of "What the gently caress game, stop TOYING WITH MY EMOTIONS"

Oh do please post, I'd like to relive it

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

S.J. posted:

Talk about the hemborger, my friend.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I finally got past the ... 12%? point in Amiguchi's story and HE'S REMAKING TOMI?! WHAT. AND WHO IS HE SEEING TOMI THROUGH IN HIS DREAMS. IT'S NOT HIM. UNLESS IT IS?!? Did his memory get hosed like his buddies? WHAT IS HEMBORGERNING HERE, GAME

e: Just remember that name gets dropped during his prologue as well.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 4, 2021

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

S.J. posted:

I finally got past the ... 12%? point in Amiguchi's story and HE'S REMAKING TOMI?! WHAT. AND WHO IS HE SEEING TOMI THROUGH IN HIS DREAMS. IT'S NOT HIM. UNLESS IT IS?!? Did his memory get hosed like his buddies? WHAT IS HEMBORGERNING HERE, GAME

e: Just remember that name gets dropped during his prologue as well.

I am so happy that you're experiencing this for the first time

S.J.
May 19, 2008

eating only apples posted:

I am so happy that you're experiencing this for the first time

I JUST DID THE NEXT PART OF HIS STORY AND WJS FKXJSNFBR DJFISNDN

E: I had to turn the game off because I just can't handle this right now

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am glad that I only discovered this thread after I finished the game and holy poo poo this was amazing. Regarding the epilogue I am not sure what I liked more, the Miwako group hug or Ogata breaking down in tears when he ran into the thugs.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

I JUST DID THE NEXT PART OF HIS STORY AND WJS FKXJSNFBR DJFISNDN

E: I had to turn the game off because I just can't handle this right now

Yeah it does get rather heavy at points.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah it does get rather heavy at points.

Just the whole city being fake is perplexing and I want to know more. Are they actually on a different planet that's been terraformed and are under attack by the machines that did so? Are all the kids memories fake (but accurate) and they're using recreations to try and ease replacement personalities into place and reeducate them into piloting the sentinels? Is the "time travel" just going to different pre-fab locations set up to look real? I MUST KNOW

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

more layers and more layers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
13 sentinels is much like an ogre

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

so when are we getting the whole thing redone with scottish VA

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I started watching Woolie's playthrough of it and some of his commentary is dumb but it's nice seeing other people's reactions to stuff

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

Just the whole city being fake is perplexing and I want to know more. Are they actually on a different planet that's been terraformed and are under attack by the machines that did so? Are all the kids memories fake (but accurate) and they're using recreations to try and ease replacement personalities into place and reeducate them into piloting the sentinels? Is the "time travel" just going to different pre-fab locations set up to look real? I MUST KNOW

The game will answer everything in time but almost every revelation is on that level.

It's honestly amazing how it keeps escalating yet staying coherent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/JonCG/status/1346464355773124609?s=20

I want the 13 Sentinels coin

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
Still trudging through, have no idea how to express how far i am lol. I guess, like, first proper wave of missions after tutorial is done, + a couple characters maxed out for now, several i've moved somewhat on their stories and a couple not at all yet. I think this game feels like the raw feeling of solving a jigsaw puzzle, but every piece is a good-rear end sci-fi story.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

gently caress, it just occurred to me that Erika Aiba is helping Yuki 'investigate' in the school, but that's... also the body that 426 transferred into after the fight in the bathroom... that 426 is then helping Yuki look into! gently caress!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

S.J. posted:

gently caress, it just occurred to me that Erika Aiba is helping Yuki 'investigate' in the school, but that's... also the body that 426 transferred into after the fight in the bathroom... that 426 is then helping Yuki look into! gently caress!

Yup.

:kheldragar:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The order in which you play through some of these really changes your perspective! And seriously, those things are loving terrifying.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

S.J. posted:

I started watching Woolie's playthrough of it and some of his commentary is dumb but it's nice seeing other people's reactions to stuff

Dude absolutely loves to sit in the database and theorycraft what he thinks the story is about after getting another 3% extra completion, but it's still entertaining when he actually loving plays the game and gets his mind blown because his guesses were so, SO far off.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
I misunderstood what were the characters' story stopping points lol. There's so much to do. 11 and a half hours in.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Even the stuff you can see coming happens and then gets turned on it’s head. Game never stops with the twists but they all add up, it’s a hell of an achievement.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
That's honestly the thing that was most impressive to me. Not so much the fact that they manage to wrap up everything up at the end, but that every character has, what...6-8 chapters for their story? And ever single one is like 20-40 minutes long and ends on a crazy twist.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

And there's several side characters with extended arcs woven through multiple main character arcs.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Miwako is the best character in the game.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Miwachan DLC when

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Endgame spoilers I like to think the plan to make the AI people in the real world is partly so that they can always hang out with Miwako.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hunt11 posted:

Endgame spoilers I like to think the plan to make the AI people in the real world is partly so that they can always hang out with Miwako.

endgame again: Of course it is, as if Iori and Usami would ever just abandon her! Can't build a new world without precious Miwako there

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

eating only apples posted:

endgame again: Of course it is, as if Iori and Usami would ever just abandon her! Can't build a new world without precious Miwako there

I'm glad nothing bad happened to Miwako and she wasn't like secretly bad or anything.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Every character in this game is so loving good, stereotypes and all

god damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm glad nothing bad happened to Miwako and she wasn't like secretly bad or anything.

I'm always glad to see bigger women in things, especially in anime, as a fat girl myself. Loved that Miwako was only ever sweet and lovely and helpful at all times and that she got a hopeful ending. And she got to eat a bunch of good food. Give that girl the boyfriend of her dreams, preferably not Gouto-senpai. What a lovely character :3: