Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

some plague rats posted:

Sorry pal but Stirfry likers are cancelled for doing uh [spins wheel] heightism and you're only allowed to like Cordelia

Stirfry never feeding Flipcup was pretty bad, he’s basically the bean dad of RToM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I honestly don't even like Travis, but you misanthropes keep proving my point.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
oh my god all of you shut up.

munch squad griping is better than this.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Munch Squad has a surreal unintended beauty of the continual focus that some number of morons’ jobs were to write out these press releases and earnestly sell them. Much Squad good.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNEJur8lfFL/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Griffin and Rachel had their baby today.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

New Super Metis posted:

please put this thread out of its misery again

I just gave this thread a 5

Aw. The best thing the McElroy's have created in a while :v:

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 31, 2021

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

'dawwww.

The new McElory kids def gonna make a podcast the second they start speaking. The first podcast made by toddlers, for toddlers.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

What's up, you cool baby.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The World Inferno posted:

'dawwww.

The new McElory kids def gonna make a podcast the second they start speaking. The first podcast made by toddlers, for toddlers.

There's already the Charlie & Daddy show

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

'dawwww.

Please do not speak this cursed thing into existence

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The first podcast made by toddlers, for toddlers.
i thought that was every mcelroy podcast

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

edit: the McElory thread is not the place for it

Sankis fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 31, 2021

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

'dawwww.

todcast

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Totcast, friend of tots.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

quote:

The first podcast made by toddlers, for toddlers.

Lots of new thread titles lately.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Just Chamber posted:

Mukbang is kind of a gross combination of words in the English language especially if you're pronouncing it Muck Bang like an English language person and not like someone from Korea (I've heard it pronounced a few different ways, MookBung etc etc so I dont even know the right way).

It’s moke bong.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Eh, there is the case of Justin DM'ing Rachel Rosing asking her to not call them out when they're lovely:
I think I've posted about this before, but Rachel is perhaps not the best example of calling out behavior. She basically became king poo poo morality cop on all their Facebook groups which caused a bunch of fan drama that as far as I can tell was a big reason they left Facebook completely. It's not the least bit surprising she was trying to call out Still Buffering for not doing a white privilege episode despite it not being their thing, and outlaws bean talk because diets are inherently fatshaming.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Yeah but if you drill down on a lot of what people are actually taking issue with WRT Travis it’s poo poo like “soy face” and the fact that he does poo poo with his look and behavior that’s traditionally coded as queer.

Like there’s a bunch of people who “find it obnoxious” or whatever in a way that totally isn’t :thunk: as gently caress (see my previous post on the matter) but there’s also a bunch of people who are mad that Travis is straight and legit consider him dying his hair the queerness equivalent of stealing valor. And that’s also super weird and not ok.
Well the latter is from people who don't realize queer and straight aren't mutually exclusive terms (or still conflate queer as the antiquated gay slur), so it's pretty easy to spot them at least.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Uhh well I started listening to Dust since it’s between the Amnesty arcs and I really like the game system so far. I’ll come back to Balance after I wrap Amnesty.

It just all seems like a pretty harmless and funny podcast? I didn’t know what kind of insane fandom/BEC I walked into when I started a week ago. The subreddits are all insane. How the hell did it get this way?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

queer and straight aren't mutually exclusive terms

tell me more, especially with how this relates to travis

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sticklefifer posted:

people who don't realize queer and straight aren't mutually exclusive terms

...?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

taco show posted:

It just all seems like a pretty harmless and funny podcast? I didn’t know what kind of insane fandom/BEC I walked into when I started a week ago. The subreddits are all insane. How the hell did it get this way?

People take their parasocial relationships very seriously.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

New Super Metis posted:

please put this thread out of its misery again

sorry you're getting owned ITT

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

taco show posted:

Uhh well I started listening to Dust since it’s between the Amnesty arcs and I really like the game system so far. I’ll come back to Balance after I wrap Amnesty.

Just avoid all subreddits and threads and fangroups.

Apparently we're just all terrible. I don't know what to do anymore. Please, continue enjoying the goofs. When they are good, they are good.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

taco show posted:

I have listened to mbmbam for years now but only check this thread every 3 or so months. This latest drama is so silly and pointless I had to actually double check I wasn't missing some really bad thing that travis did.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Queer has long been an umbrella term that can apply to gender spectrums as well as sexual orientation spectrums, as well as the absence of them. For example you could be a cis male pansexual, a genderfluid male-presenting heterosexual, or a non-binary asexual, and all of those would be considered "queer".

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sticklefifer posted:

Queer has long been an umbrella term that can apply to gender spectrums as well as sexual orientation spectrums, as well as the absence of them. For example you could be a cis male pansexual, a genderfluid male-presenting heterosexual, or a non-binary asexual, and all of those would be considered "queer".

I think maybe my confusion here is that you seem to be using a very wide definition of the word "straight"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

taco show posted:

Generally if you like something avoid its fan communities at all costs. They are all terrible and this is very mild compared to some of the horrors I've seen.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

some plague rats posted:

I think maybe my confusion here is that you seem to be using a very wide definition of the word "straight"
I'm using the common definition of "straight" but the umbrella definition of "queer", because as I said, some people don't know you can be both at once.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

taco show posted:

How the hell did it get this way?
the mcelroy guys talk a lot of game about 'doing right by people' and have intentionally fostered an image of being soft, nice guys who care about social issues in a generally affable way without being firebrands, which regardless of the legitimacy of that or their actual content has gotten them a fanbase of left-leaning people who tie their own personal politics into the podcast they listen to, while also earning them a lot of hate from either people further left who are mad about the fanbase more than the guys (and the occasional times the mcelroys put their foots in their mouth) or right wing types who are mad for obvious reasons, and also they're extremely popular, and since theyre the nice sweet guy podcast they have to apologize for every perceived slight which just leads to more people being aware of drama which leads to more drama

exhibit a: the two posters currently having an argument about whether 'straight' and 'queer' are mutually exclusive terms in a thread about a D&D podcast run by three cishet white guys

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

taco show posted:

You should not look at the fandom and live a happier life.

This applies to all fandoms.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

plenty of fandoms produce excellent fanwork and good discussion. podcast fandoms, however, never do

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

taco show posted:

nerd culture and fandom culture are a form of social cancer, no matter what their subject of focus is

all fandoms, be they for a sports team or a trading card game, inevitably create these kinds of dynamics

and in really unfortunate cases, they become defined by them

- - - - -

also WTF are you doing going on Reddit and expecting normalcy, decency, or intelligence? Reddit is the worst place on the internet, just definitionally.

Reddit is the site where fat dudes who don’t wipe for political reasons go to share their ex girlfriends’ nudes for fake internet clout. It’s where goons who get run out of here and are too wuss to hack it on 4chan go. It’s a website for Funko Pop collectors. What kind of goon are you?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
lol at SA being a barometer for internet status above any other website.

Endorph posted:

exhibit a: the two posters currently having an argument about whether 'straight' and 'queer' are mutually exclusive terms in a thread about a D&D podcast run by three cishet white guys
Nobody's having an argument, calm your tits. And maybe don't speak for how three celebrity strangers personally classify themselves either, because that's weird.

\/\/\/Ehh, I get that, but then that gets into the "who gets to be queer" gatekeeping that I was talking about in the first place.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 31, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sticklefifer posted:

I'm using the common definition of "straight" but the umbrella definition of "queer", because as I said, some people don't know you can be both at once.

I think what some plague rats is getting at is that “straight” in a performance context strongly implies heteronormativity, to the point where practicing queerness of any kind—be that in identity or presentation or sexuality or whatnot—is by definition not “straight”

So, under that definition, you actually can’t be both at once, and “straight” isn’t the right terminology to use in that context.

Like, for example, you could be a heterosexual man who has sexual relations with women and who chooses to wear dresses and heels, or you could be a heterosexual transwoman who has sex with men and dresses normally for a woman. In either case, you are transgressing an established societal norm in a way that somebody who is/is being “straight” would not.

“Straight” and “queer”, in their original intended forms, exist as dichotomous ingroup/outgroup signifiers, despite the fact that they commonly get used as adjectives or in an additive/subtractive sense

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Mar 31, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

taco show posted:

Eh, all fandoms are bad with a few exclusions. People like bickering, particularly if there isn’t much else going on. We spent literal years going back and forth over what game system they should use (Pathfinder lol) for example. The current slate of bickering is just a side effect of the boys’ progressive presentation as others have noted. The Giant Bomb thread is the same way but that’s usually arguing over a site member or a former site member.

tl;dr - Goons gonna goon.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dust was pretty good (though as usual Justin's character was about 70% of the reason to listen) and Travis's one-shots were a lot of fun. I'll probably take another run at Graduation sometime, since I didn't hate it so much as I kind of lost interest, but he definitely bit off more than he can chew, which is a thing that has happened to me back when I DMed more often too, so, you know, not the greatest sin in the world.

I think Amnesty's actually my favorite thing they've done long-form, even though I agree with a lot of the criticisms of it in the end. It felt like they were all really invested in the world and the people they were playing and that makes up for a lot.

My only real complaint about Travis is that he looks vaguely like one of my coworkers and that is not something I need in my entertainment thank you very much.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Endorph posted:

the mcelroy guys talk a lot of game about 'doing right by people' and have intentionally fostered an image of being soft, nice guys who care about social issues in a generally affable way without being firebrands, which regardless of the legitimacy of that or their actual content has gotten them a fanbase of left-leaning people who tie their own personal politics into the podcast they listen to, while also earning them a lot of hate from either people further left who are mad about the fanbase more than the guys (and the occasional times the mcelroys put their foots in their mouth) or right wing types who are mad for obvious reasons, and also they're extremely popular, and since theyre the nice sweet guy podcast they have to apologize for every perceived slight which just leads to more people being aware of drama which leads to more drama

this is a good way to put it. what i am about to say is not a better way to put it but my feeling is that when one constantly assumes the "i'm sorry i'm trying to delete it" stance then that leads people to form large angry mobs over every tiny perceived slight. i don't think that's particularly healthy behavior from anyone involved but at this point it's too late to walk it back so i guess if anyone's gonna participate in the fan groups then they have to live with it.

but anyway the mcelorys are doing their best and i hope the paternity leave goes well. let's make a music is also an interesting podcast and i've been going through the first few eps with karen han. the halloween song was pretty good

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Karen Han is currently annoying me because she’s stumping hard for Gore Verbinski to win the Blank Check March madness bracket and I don’t want him to win

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Karen Han is currently annoying me because she’s stumping hard for Gore Verbinski to win the Blank Check March madness bracket and I don’t want him to win

Good news, BDG has agreed to not tip the scales for the final round so it's looking like it'll be Carpenter that takes it all.

I'm sad of WKW getting blown the gently caress out like that since from the beginning I was really hoping he could eke out a win, but at least Carpenter is a respectable choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah Carpenter would be fun and there are a bunch of films of his I haven’t seen. WKW would have been my preferred choice because he’s a bigger blind spot for me. I guess if Gore wins it would probably get BDG on the podcast, so that would be a silver lining.