Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

So self post when I was a toddler I stuffed myself eating wild tomatoes and got violently ill. Since that day tomato texture and flavor (not the flavor alone, I never had a problem with hot sauces and tomato sauces so long as they weren’t full of chunks) would trigger vomiting.

Around puberty I was able to get it to a point where I just got nauseous and was able to power through it during my teenage years. I still feel a vague sense of unease when I eat like caprese or a burger with a thick tomato slice even though I love caprese and making my own pico now.
Your story is basically why it took me about 10 years to be able to be around pizzas without feeling a little nauseous, after I spent a whole day throwing up with the flu while my grandmother made several pizzas for a party. The smell of oregano-based tomato sauces is still nothing I am excited about though, and I can only take about one or two bites of "normal person pizza" before it gets gross. Yes I have appreciated the proflieration of alternative sauces springing up over the last 15 years, though I usually get it sauceless if they do not offer an oil or pesto base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Did you ever tell him to shut the gently caress up?

Of course, but eventually, he'd wear you down with rhetoric to the point where you'd just ignore it anytime he said anything.

Eventually, he just stopped being invited to do things.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Dr.D-O posted:

Of course, but eventually, he'd wear you down with rhetoric to the point where you'd just ignore it anytime he said anything.

Eventually, he just stopped being invited to do things.

I'd be really tempted to carry some condiment packets to empty straight into my mouth anytime he started. Maintained eye contact preferred.

Content: My maternal grandfather was an incredibly abusive POS narcissist. No foods he didn't personally like were not allowed in the house. I was maybe 3 or 4 the last holiday I saw him, but I remember it because we were all terrified. In preparing Thanksgiving dinner for 4 families, his wife had mistakenly made mashed potatoes and he raged.

She was an incredibly abusive POS too, but I'm surprised she didn't murder him at some point. Everyone would've been better off.

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

i used to have a friend who wasn't weird about eating food but was weird about splitting bills when going out for food. he would keep his own mental calculations in his head of how much people were each eating and how much he thought he owed at the end and it never lined up with what was actually consumed. He would always want to order family style then eat his share and then haggle with us at the end saying friend 1 had an extra bite of this and friend 2 took two of the other thing and since we all looked at his food we should chip in for what he ordered, then only put in like $2 for a $75 meal or whatever. Going out to eat with him was a whole ordeal

Dude wasnt poor or anything either, his family had some money, so idk what his deal was. needless to say this was just one aspect of him that was lovely to be around and we're not friends anymore

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I'd be really tempted to carry some condiment packets to empty straight into my mouth anytime he started. Maintained eye contact preferred.

Content: My maternal grandfather was an incredibly abusive POS narcissist. No foods he didn't personally like were not allowed in the house. I was maybe 3 or 4 the last holiday I saw him, but I remember it because we were all terrified. In preparing Thanksgiving dinner for 4 families, his wife had mistakenly made mashed potatoes and he raged.

She was an incredibly abusive POS too, but I'm surprised she didn't murder him at some point. Everyone would've been better off.

Good.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

In preparing Thanksgiving dinner for 4 families, his wife had mistakenly made mashed potatoes and he raged.

:stare:

Was he expecting sweet potatoes over mashed potatoes? Because we do both for Thanksgiving.

Content: I made entirely way too many Brussels sprouts and ate them for three days straight. All because I didn’t want to make just some and have the rest go bad. A little olive oil, salt and pepper in the oven till blackened… *chef’s kiss*

Eating Brussels sprouts for three days straight did not faze me. They were that good.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
On the topic of food aversions and people who don't give a poo poo: my own aversion is nuts and seeds. I can tolerate peanuts, but they still make food taste worse to me, while walnuts, almonds, pistachios, etc just make the food inedible. Not sure why I'm like this, but that poo poo just turns my stomach the moment I bite in and feel that weird semi-soft crunch.

When I'm at a restaurant I always make sure to tell the waiter "No nuts in the food please!" whenever I'm ordering something that even has the remote possibility of containing nuts, like a salad (a lot of times nuts are just kinda treated as a default and go unlisted as an ingredient). They always happily agree, but I poo poo you not when the food comes out the nuts are still in there about 50% of the time. This is quite disturbing to me, because while I myself am not allergic, many people are deathly allergic to nuts. Thankfully it's merely a frustration for me. If I were actually allergic I'd probably be dead by now. What the gently caress, people.

Bonus mommy issues: Also, while I've had this aversion all my life, my mom can't seem to ever remember. When I go over to visit for dinner, she typically makes a salad and it almost always contains nuts. Now, it would be one thing if her stance on this was that if I don't like her salad the way she makes it, I can just pass on it. That'd be perfectly fine with me; wouldn't have any problem just skipping this salad while everyone else enjoys. Which is what I effectively end up doing, but the weird part is her response. Every time, without fail, she responds with "Oh! I'm sorry honey, I forgot about the nut thing! It's not that bad though, you can still eat it right?" Can't tell if she's messing with me or just doesn't care. I should make some instant ramen for her without smashing it into crumbs first.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Devils Affricate posted:

Bonus mommy issues:

New thread title

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Devils Affricate posted:

When I'm at a restaurant I always make sure to tell the waiter "No nuts in the food please!" whenever I'm ordering something that even has the remote possibility of containing nuts, like a salad (a lot of times nuts are just kinda treated as a default and go unlisted as an ingredient). They always happily agree, but I poo poo you not when the food comes out the nuts are still in there about 50% of the time. This is quite disturbing to me, because while I myself am not allergic, many people are deathly allergic to nuts. Thankfully it's merely a frustration for me. If I were actually allergic I'd probably be dead by now. What the gently caress, people.

I feel like you are either loving with us, or there is something that isn't a nut which you've somehow confused with nuts. I dunno, bean shoots or bacon bits or some poo poo.

Because one, where the heck are you eating that 50% of salads have surprise nuts on them? That isn't a thing. Sure a particular salad might have nuts but it will be clearly labelled. Second, they aren't fond of killing customers right at the table and that's not a thing that they gently caress up with any frequency.

But if you are telling the truth, please send that poo poo back. Tell your server "I asked for no nuts, I can't eat nuts." You're not lying by claiming a fake allergy, and a restaurant that fucks that up deserves to have food sent back. They can trash it and try again until they get it right.

(also because it would be really really funny if a waitress said "sir this is a crouton")

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Klyith posted:

I feel like you are either loving with us, or there is something that isn't a nut which you've somehow confused with nuts. I dunno, bean shoots or bacon bits or some poo poo.

Because one, where the heck are you eating that 50% of salads have surprise nuts on them? That isn't a thing. Sure a particular salad might have nuts but it will be clearly labelled. Second, they aren't fond of killing customers right at the table and that's not a thing that they gently caress up with any frequency.

But if you are telling the truth, please send that poo poo back. Tell your server "I asked for no nuts, I can't eat nuts." You're not lying by claiming a fake allergy, and a restaurant that fucks that up deserves to have food sent back. They can trash it and try again until they get it right.

(also because it would be really really funny if a waitress said "sir this is a crouton")

I would say the most common offender is pine nuts. Not sure how salads are where you live, but places here in socal loving LOVE to put pine nuts on drat near everything. The 50% figure, to be clear, isn't the percentage of salads that have nuts in them; it's my success rate with eliminating nuts from a dish that would otherwise contain them. And yes, it's mind blowing to me that restaurants aren't terrified of triggering people's allergies like this. I don't know what to tell you, man. I can't fully explain how they get along like this, but that's my experience.

Also to clarify, the salads that contain unmentioned nuts are definitely in the minority. Most of the time the salad says that it contains some kind of nut, so I simply ask the waiter to leave that out. Then they don't. I'll return it sometimes but the general nature of salads makes any particular ingredient easy to avoid.

As for not being able to recognize a nut, believe me, having dealt with such a strong aversion all my life I am an expert nut identifier. Also, I don't go to restaurants alone. If I started complaining about nuts when there aren't any my friends would tell me I'm tripping.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 9, 2021

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
Umm, if you don't want pine nuts either, you need to specify that seperately. They are a seed and that is how a lot of people view it. It's not on the servers radar to not include them since typically the concern is with allergies to nuts.

Yes, peanuts aren't a nut either, but they have been on the allergy radar for so long, it is accepted as a nut in our collective consciousness.

Edit: you could change your order to "no nuts and no seeds" and that should fix your issue. Granted, you also won't get like sesame, sunflower seeds or things like that, but it is an easy and concise order for a server that as a previous poster said, if they can't do that, send it back.

Pinus Porcus fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 9, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Devils Affricate posted:

As for not being able to recognize a nut, believe me, having dealt with such a strong aversion all my life I am an expert nut identifier.

lol

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Pinus Porcus posted:

Umm, if you don't want pine nuts either, you need to specify that seperately. They are a seed and that is how a lot of people view it. It's not on the servers radar to not include them since typically the concern is with allergies to nuts.

Yes, peanuts aren't a nut either, but they have been on the allergy radar for so long, it is accepted as a nut in our collective consciousness.

Edit: you could change your order to "no nuts and no seeds" and that should fix your issue. Granted, you also won't get like sesame, sunflower seeds or things like that, but it is an easy and concise order for a server that as a previous poster said, if they can't do that, send it back.

That's what I do! And if the description explicitly says pine nuts or whatever, that's what I mention by name. I just got tired of typing "nuts and seeds" every single time in that post.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

JnnyThndrs posted:

My GF is a great person but WILL NOT eat leftovers, which makes no sense to me. A lot of stuff is better after a day or two in the fridge.

Mrs. WITCHCRAFT will eat leftovers of any meal regardless of quality but ONLY ONCE! EATING MORE THAN TWO OF THE SAME MEAL IN ONE WEEK? THAT IS TREASON, JOHNNY

It makes it real difficult, estimating the recipe size. There must be enough for leftovers, but there must not be any leftovers left after you eat the leftovers.

This would make me really mad and upset. But then I remember that this our biggest relationship issue. We agree on basically everything else. When I read someone's social media comment about [THING SPOUSE DO, MAKE ME ANGERY] it makes my complaints seem comical. I can live with this.

I'll still dangle the sandwich baggie of un-used spoiled kelp noodles in her face like I'm the Ghost of Meals Past when I have to put it into the trashcan though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

:stare:

Was he expecting sweet potatoes over mashed potatoes? Because we do both for Thanksgiving.

I think he was expecting quartered boiled potatoes, butter and parsley. Adding milk was a step too far. There were several dishes he did this with, but the mashed potatoes is the only one I remember because I have a personal memory of it. My folks mercifully cut contact with them when I was around 5.

As for leftover chat, that might honestly be a deal breaker for me. I get weirdly upset about wasted food for someone who's never gone hungry. Less angry, more "I feel like a monster." I have strong opinions on our failures of food distribution, so it probably ties to that. :smith:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Much like with carbon emissions the problem isn't at a personal level but at a structural and industrial level. You don't need to feel bad for throwing away a week old enchilada you didn't finish, it's grocery stores throwing away millions of tons of still edible food into dumpsters that's the real problem. Doubly so when they do things like pour bleach on it to stop the homeless from getting to it.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

WITCHCRAFT posted:

sandwich baggie of un-used spoiled kelp noodles

No I think I see the issue

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Who What Now posted:

Much like with carbon emissions the problem isn't at a personal level but at a structural and industrial level. You don't need to feel bad for throwing away a week old enchilada you didn't finish, it's grocery stores throwing away millions of tons of still edible food into dumpsters that's the real problem. Doubly so when they do things like pour bleach on it to stop the homeless from getting to it.

You're 100% right, of course. It's unwarranted, but I can't help but feel the weight of personal failure every time I throw away food. I hate it!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Before the pandemic hit, I was a dumb worthless goon who fancied Chinese buffets and whatnot. The amount of food people would leave on their plates when they leave was just utterly disgusting and would always fill me with hopelessness at just how wasteful with food people are who have never gone hungry before. It was almost always families with children who would load up a sampler plate with a bunch of different items, and of course the kids wouldn’t eat a thing because they wanted dessert from the start, so the plates would be left untouched :smith:

It got so bad that a lot of places started charging extra if you leave a lot of food on your plate before leaving, and I don’t blames the restaurants for doing that. gently caress those lovely people.

I’m still a dumb worthless goon, but I’ve always known how to eat within my body’s means.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Devils Affricate posted:

I would say the most common offender is pine nuts. Not sure how salads are where you live, but places here in socal loving LOVE to put pine nuts on drat near everything. The 50% figure, to be clear, isn't the percentage of salads that have nuts in them; it's my success rate with eliminating nuts from a dish that would otherwise contain them. And yes, it's mind blowing to me that restaurants aren't terrified of triggering people's allergies like this. I don't know what to tell you, man. I can't fully explain how they get along like this, but that's my experience.

Also to clarify, the salads that contain unmentioned nuts are definitely in the minority. Most of the time the salad says that it contains some kind of nut, so I simply ask the waiter to leave that out. Then they don't. I'll return it sometimes but the general nature of salads makes any particular ingredient easy to avoid.

As for not being able to recognize a nut, believe me, having dealt with such a strong aversion all my life I am an expert nut identifier. Also, I don't go to restaurants alone. If I started complaining about nuts when there aren't any my friends would tell me I'm tripping.

Why wouldn't you just chew and swallow the perfectly edible and nutritious nuts and seeds you occasionally encounter within your food? This is an arbitrary undefinable category of foods you are making yourself sick over for... no reason whatsoever. Just chew it?

I don't understand these "food aversion" claims as a concept. You wouldn't have this "reaction" if you didn't know pieces of the undefined no-no category were present. It's really not possible for you to consume these things?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

You Are A Elf posted:

Before the pandemic hit, I was a dumb worthless goon who fancied Chinese buffets and whatnot. The amount of food people would leave on their plates when they leave was just utterly disgusting and would always fill me with hopelessness at just how wasteful with food people are who have never gone hungry before. It was almost always families with children who would load up a sampler plate with a bunch of different items, and of course the kids wouldn’t eat a thing because they wanted dessert from the start, so the plates would be left untouched :smith:

It got so bad that a lot of places started charging extra if you leave a lot of food on your plate before leaving, and I don’t blames the restaurants for doing that. gently caress those lovely people.

I’m still a dumb worthless goon, but I’ve always known how to eat within my body’s means.
Buffets are wasteful.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I was on a volunteer thing a few years back where me and another guy lived with a Honduran family. They were amazing, hospitable people who made incredible food. However, in the first week the other guy had a mild stomach upset after eating some local food and from that point on claimed all Honduran food made him sick. Absolutely ridiculous and made things quite awkward at times. Especially as they spoke no English and he spoke no Spanish so here’s me trying to apologetically explain why this dickhead is refusing all their home cooking and only eats fried chicken. They became increasingly doubtful and eventually I just said I basically agree with them and dunno what to do about it lol

He was loving useless and didn’t seem to enjoy it, I’ve no idea why he didn’t just leave.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

temple posted:

Buffets are wasteful.

Yes they are which is why I haven’t visited one in a couple of years. The pandemic taught a lot of people that there are better, less wasteful, and healthier options available, myself included.

I’d see the same thing with eating out in general. Breakfast cafes are the worst. People usually order the largest meal on the menu, then leave a good chunk of food on the plate. It’s almost always Boomers who go to the cafe not to eat, but to converse with other Boomers about their impending mortality in a restaurant setting.

If y’all want to get together and relive 1971, that’s fine and dandy, but pick a coffee shop or a nice park or something instead of ordering food and not eating it :mad:

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Jakabite posted:

I was on a volunteer thing a few years back where me and another guy lived with a Honduran family. They were amazing, hospitable people who made incredible food. However, in the first week the other guy had a mild stomach upset after eating some local food and from that point on claimed all Honduran food made him sick. Absolutely ridiculous and made things quite awkward at times. Especially as they spoke no English and he spoke no Spanish so here’s me trying to apologetically explain why this dickhead is refusing all their home cooking and only eats fried chicken. They became increasingly doubtful and eventually I just said I basically agree with them and dunno what to do about it lol

He was loving useless and didn’t seem to enjoy it, I’ve no idea why he didn’t just leave.

Yeah this guy was an ungrateful racist baby and he should have been kicked out of the house. Refusing to eat home cooked food prepared especially for you is one thing - falsely claiming it "makes you sick" while making others explain that lie for you is loving depraved. Straight to Honduran jail with this gently caress.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
posting in a gbs food chat thread. sucks to be anyone with strong preferences. foods are great. the only things i dont really eat are coriander, and raw alliums. the latter needs to be cooked imo

green bell peppers are also bland as hell, gotta ripen them to at least yellow stage

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Phobophilia posted:

green bell peppers are also bland as hell, gotta ripen them to at least yellow stage

Green bell peppers are great cooked in dishes, but I wouldn't eat one raw.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

When raw, slices of green pepper are good with hummus.

re: nuts, I love mixed nuts or peanuts or what have you, and really love cashews in stir fries, peanuts in Thai dishes, etc but am not a fan of them in baked things like a muffin or cookie. I'll still EAT it, I just wish they weren't there most of the time. They just seem to take up space and screw up things textually in that context.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Yeah this guy was an ungrateful racist baby and he should have been kicked out of the house. Refusing to eat home cooked food prepared especially for you is one thing - falsely claiming it "makes you sick" while making others explain that lie for you is loving depraved. Straight to Honduran jail with this gently caress.

I really try to see the best in people but this guy by the end just had like no redeeming features in my eyes. Still saved his life when he got absolutely ruined in the hotel on the way back, stumbled into the room then woke me up by inconsiderately choking on his own vomit. Absolute weapon of a guy.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Why wouldn't you just chew and swallow the perfectly edible and nutritious nuts and seeds you occasionally encounter within your food? This is an arbitrary undefinable category of foods you are making yourself sick over for... no reason whatsoever. Just chew it?

I don't understand these "food aversion" claims as a concept. You wouldn't have this "reaction" if you didn't know pieces of the undefined no-no category were present. It's really not possible for you to consume these things?

Of course I wouldn't have the same reaction if I couldn't tell it was there. It's the food's interaction with my senses that makes me sick. This seems like a pretty obvious thing. If someone puts almond butter in something and it doesn't remind me anything of almonds, I don't give a poo poo.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Jakabite posted:

what a coward, gotta power through that initial gut flora adjustment period so you can start eating all the delicious street food asap.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm sure that dude who volunteered to help Hondurans was a real rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo, but what he did is exactly the same as anyone else refusing to eat what is made for them. He didn't want to eat stuff and got stuff he wanted to eat. Basically if you're a picky eater, you're as bad as that guy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Robobot posted:

I'm sure that dude who volunteered to help Hondurans was a real rear end in a top hat piece of poo poo, but what he did is exactly the same as anyone else refusing to eat what is made for them. He didn't want to eat stuff and got stuff he wanted to eat. Basically if you're a picky eater, you're as bad as that guy.

I dont personally have a high opinion of picky eaters but usually they're not bizarre neocolonial ambassadors from a dominant global power present in a nation they've hosed with for centuries to condescend some kind of aid

That's a pretty big rear end in a top hat ranking multiplier right there, acting like the food is even beneath you

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Mr. Lobe posted:

I dont personally have a high opinion of picky eaters but usually they're not bizarre neocolonial ambassadors from a dominant global power present in a nation they've hosed with for centuries to condescend some kind of aid

That's a pretty big rear end in a top hat ranking multiplier right there, acting like the food is even beneath you

Oh! Hey Jakabite, were you a bizarre neocolonial ambassador from a dominant global power present in a nation they've hosed with for centuries to condescend some kind of aid? Because I thought you were just there to volunteer.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Robobot posted:

An attitude that "all of this culture's food makes me sick" based on one meal is different from acknowledging that you just have some overwhelming dislike for certain ingredients. And sure, maybe he's just super picky and bad at expressing it. But it could also be like, racistly not trusting certain types of people with handling your food.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
as a kid i went to a bbq at a friend's house and grabbed a few scoops of what looked like good mac and cheese and then discovered it was made with a ton of mayo. his mom tried to make me eat it because "you took it so you should eat it".

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Luvcow posted:

as a kid i went to a bbq at a friend's house and grabbed a few scoops of what looked like good mac and cheese and then discovered it was made with a ton of mayo. his mom tried to make me eat it because "you took it so you should eat it".
Was it just macaroni salad? Or like... mac and cheese + mayo

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Martman posted:

Was it just macaroni salad? Or like... mac and cheese + mayo

mac and cheese + mayo

:smith:

who the gently caress does that

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mayo must be used responsibly. One drop too much and your dish is suddenly "mayonnaise, featuring other ingredients"

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why the gently caress would you put mayo in Mac and cheese in any quantity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Maybe that's how they liked it