Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

blatman posted:

I stay hydrated with a steady stream of vodka and coffee, the proper way to quench ur thirst

well, coffee, even with it's caffeine content, is still net hydrating for your body. and vodka, well, that looks like water so it must work like water. nyt, i'll take my paycheck through gpay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.
https://twitter.com/EliotJacobson/status/1439357734034411522

gently caress that poo poo, let's get to #1.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I wouldn't say it was amazing, but this book has a couple sections that have always stuck with me and only gotten more relevant. Especially this stretch of a dude going through a forest fire on future quaaludes

https://imgur.com/a/zxwH2Ff

Might have to do a full read through of it again, it's probably been at least a decade since I did last

Yeah, I bought this by accident a long time ago, having gotten recs for "The End of Nature" and I got this instead. Turned out to be one of the most realistic futuristic sci fi books on the subject I've encountered. And of course if you want the other best one, look up "The Sheep Look Up" which has hit the nail on the head numerous times.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Bathtub Cheese posted:

my big takeaway was that the process of capitalist industrialization had so much path dependence built into it (and IMO after communism was successfully contained by the capitalist powers) this outcome was already locked in barring a miraculous level of foresight and universal solidarity

That is a pretty good assessment

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Captain Gordon posted:

You guys missed the point of the video. Humanity literally doomed itself and there is nothing we can do, so focus on personal happiness instead of doomerism. Nothing will save us save except for for a tiny chance of benevolent aliens showing or a sci-fi tech breakthrough.

Also, most us will hopefully be at the end of our natural lives by the time the worst of it happens.

I think the only point of the video is to face facts for once instead of buying into the MIC's lies. Just for its own sake. There is no happy ending and there's no personal happiness when you know that all your works and even your progeny will be snuffed out due to a world view that you take part in and benefit from.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
foreign policy dipshits openly saying climate change is a distraction from war with china

https://twitter.com/dmarusic/status/1439298438563307520?s=19

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Zohar posted:

foreign policy dipshits openly saying climate change is a distraction from war with china

https://twitter.com/dmarusic/status/1439298438563307520?s=19

Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

every time you see some demented tweet like that there's a council/institute/commission in their bio

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That article is dumb as poo poo. "drink when you're thirsty" "any beverage will help" lmao, unbelievable :monocle:

all the news that’s poo poo to print!

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
This new doom thread is moving faster than expected.

I signed up for an arborist certificate program and yesterday I got to climb the biggest oldest London Plane I've ever seen. Felt like fern gully. I definitely want to make this my job. It's a dangerous career that might kill me, but to be fair there are probably also downsides I should consider.

Then last night we hung out with my wife's 24yo little cousin. He told me about how he's pursuing a degree in business management and considering pivoting into marketing from there, and I managed not to joker laugh at him. A good day.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Decades posted:

This new doom thread is moving faster than expected.

I signed up for an arborist certificate program and yesterday I got to climb the biggest oldest London Plane I've ever seen. Felt like fern gully. I definitely want to make this my job. It's a dangerous career that might kill me, but to be fair there are probably also downsides I should consider.

I believe that is called mortuary sciences.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

:regd08:

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Seeing some of the sharper libs on social media starting to get concerned and asking questions about why Biden and co aren't doing anything meaningful to help us adapt to a warmer planet, and starting to realize they will be a victim in all this too.

Lol

Lmao

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Blockade posted:

Seeing some of the sharper libs on social media starting to get concerned and asking questions about why Biden and co aren't doing anything meaningful to help us adapt to a warmer planet, and starting to realize they will be a victim in all this too.

Lol

Lmao

Our own liberals are arguing that it's dangerous to claim Climate Change is unstoppable because the real fight is just beginning.....

......because we might actually take out all other life with us in 8c-10c+ scenarios beyond the society ending amounts we've guaranteed for ourselves.

lol

lmao

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
thanks for making a thread that doesn't have the idiotic lib euphemism of 'climate change' in the title.

malthus is only right in a limited sense - carrying capacity for humans is always mediated by a specific mode of production, and that mode of production doesn't have to be an ever expanding accumulation cycle that guarantees catastrophic overshoot. he makes a truth that is historically mediated into a transhistorical principle. there has never been any equilibrium in nature, but that's exactly why humans have/had the potential to become the metabolism of the natural world.

basically malthus without marx is pure fascism, but i guess the point is mostly academic as we obviously live in a malthus timeline and there is absolutely going to be a 'great ravine' population correction in the near future.

nature abhors a dome dude lacks a materialist analysis of commodity society but is mostly correct anyways. he thinks there will be a 'mass awakening event' but given the average level of consciousness now I'm pretty sure an MAE will only happen after the great ravine. if the peak oil guys are right then there'll be like only a billion or so humans after that, and they sure as gently caress won't be able to be liberals anymore.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

splifyphus posted:

thanks for making a thread that doesn't have the idiotic lib euphemism of 'climate change' in the title.

malthus is only right in a limited sense - carrying capacity for humans is always mediated by a specific mode of production, and that mode of production doesn't have to be an ever expanding accumulation cycle that guarantees catastrophic overshoot. he makes a truth that is historically mediated into a transhistorical principle. there has never been any equilibrium in nature, but that's exactly why humans have/had the potential to become the metabolism of the natural world.

basically malthus without marx is pure fascism, but i guess the point is mostly academic as we obviously live in a malthus timeline and there is absolutely going to be a 'great ravine' population correction in the near future.

nature abhors a dome dude lacks a materialist analysis of commodity society but is mostly correct anyways. he thinks there will be a 'mass awakening event' but given the average level of consciousness now I'm pretty sure an MAE will only happen after the great ravine. if the peak oil guys are right then there'll be like only a billion or so humans after that, and they sure as gently caress won't be able to be liberals anymore.

Eugenics, but for Veblen's leisure class

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Lmao not that it matters now...but...for funsies.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Our own liberals are arguing that it's dangerous to claim Climate Change is unstoppable because the real fight is just beginning.....

......because we might actually take out all other life with us in 8c-10c+ scenarios beyond the society ending amounts we've guaranteed for ourselves.

lol

lmao

it’s also wrong based on things that are not their anecdotes about “organizing,” such as peer-reviewed research published in unapproved rags spouting right wing talking points — Nature

Fear Works (and we’re helping in here, good for us!)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

splifyphus posted:

Was that his point? I got an hour and a half in and he never made one beyond "nothing you do matters", which I should add stands rather hypocritically at odds with his constant insinuations that you should refrain from doing anything that rocks the boat.

Because rocking the boat upsets people, you see, and that makes you a dick.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That article is dumb as poo poo. "drink when you're thirsty" "any beverage will help" lmao, unbelievable :monocle:

the new york times

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
ngl, i thought that the video was Rime's. do we know who made it? i'd kinda like to glance over a transcript.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

nobody has claimed it so far, no

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

My friend Rime would never snidely imply I'm wrong for agitating for climate violence justice, unlike this other guy.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Has anyone started to notice some hardcore climate denial from the lib 'influencer' circuit? Any criticism about our approach towards the looming crisis and they literally do the "No it won’t. It just won’t. None of that will happen. Sorry, no, I disagree. You’re wrong." bit from that Iraq war onion article (ironically also about libs)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Starting to notice?

That's been the shitlib line since the beginning: climate change is bad but it won't be *that* bad as to actually meaningfully disrupt my comfy libshit 1st worlder lifestyle - I'm just concerned about the overseas poors. Stop poisoning the discourse with your claims about civilization collapse!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Conspiratiorist posted:

Was that his point? I got an hour and a half in and he never made one beyond "nothing you do matters", which I should add stands rather hypocritically at odds with his constant insinuations that you should refrain from doing anything that rocks the boat.

Because rocking the boat upsets people, you see, and that makes you a dick.

where did you get that he's saying you shouldn't do things that rock the boat? he specifically says even if your individual actions won't "fix" things they can still have meaning. he just thinks you shouldn't use them as an excuse to live in denial or be self righteous.

he only really spends ~30 minutes on discussions of individual action, then he covers why arguing about specifics is pointless (the skeleton joke), theorizes what it would take to fight climate change, talks about why we won't do that collectively and acknowledges even then we're locked in for a shitstorm for at least 60 years, then gets into the five stages of climate change grief (the best part of the video imo).

if you consider yourself already well versed on this stuff skip to here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNjWOCdony4&t=2628s

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Things are bad, but they won't ever affect me, because I'm rich, and thus deserving of safety.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
There was a Twitter popular person calling Peter kalmus a doomer and claiming his statements were bad for getting anything done lol

LOL here it is

https://twitter.com/realSethReeves/status/1439300997877092354?s=19

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
my favorite part of the vid is them not caring about editing and me turning it off later because its too long lol

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I’ve never seen anyone with that DSA rose tweet anything normal

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Decades posted:

He told me about how he's pursuing a degree in business management and considering pivoting into marketing from there, and I managed not to joker laugh at him. A good day.

Hey, Aqua Cola and Mother's Milk doesn't sell itself! :v:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

silicone thrills posted:

There was a Twitter popular person calling Peter kalmus a doomer and claiming his statements were bad for getting anything done lol

LOL here it is

And even kalmus is still bargaining to some extent but...even nationalizing the fossil fuel industry would be cool and all and should be done today, not like it matters.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"I'm still able to get my chai latte with almond milk at Starbucks so things obviously aren't THAT dire! You're not doing anyone any favors by scaring and depressing them!" :downs:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

ngl, i thought that the video was Rime's. do we know who made it? i'd kinda like to glance over a transcript.

It's not mine, and I don't know who made it. I'd also love a transcript though, there's some gems in there I want to quote like the skeleton joke.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

how do we know wfor sure this isn't part of the natural cycle of things? like if we're #2, doesn't that mean its possible its natural and not humans cause?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Paradoxish posted:

We're going to get to live through the lovely and miserable decline while missing out on the catharsis of total collapse, or being too old to care. Worst of all worlds imo

The worldwide labor shortage is at least partially caused by the "catharsis of total collapse".

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

LOL here it is

https://twitter.com/realSethReeves/status/1439397029663232004?s=19

You idiots! Corporations won't just let the planet die, OBVIOUSLY!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Paradoxish posted:

We're going to get to live through the lovely and miserable decline while missing out on the catharsis of total collapse, or being too old to care. Worst of all worlds imo

congratulations

welcome to what societal collapse looks like

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Rime posted:

It's not mine, and I don't know who made it. I'd also love a transcript though, there's some gems in there I want to quote like the skeleton joke.

Did a quick machine transcription, sure to be errors:

https://ghostbin.com/UIMnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"I'm still able to get my chai latte with almond milk at Starbucks so things obviously aren't THAT dire! You're not doing anyone any favors by scaring and depressing them!" :downs:

ooooh, sorry were outta chai atm. can I interest you in another drink from our selection?