Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Thaddius the Large posted:

It seems like every time there’s a big snow dump in Portland at least a couple people straight up abandon their cars in the middle of the interstate, like, decide the icy roads aren’t worth it and just walk away leaving their vehicle behind, and usually I’m utterly baffled by that kind of decision making, but man, that kinda jam makes me understand.

Problem is, there's basically nowhere to go from there. A lot of that stretch is either exurbs/rural or military base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm assuming people are just getting out of their cars to do their business if you're stuck in traffic for 19 hours.

I do remember every time I drove from LA to San Diego for Comic-Con there being some horrible standstill traffic jam, so it wasn't uncommon for us to just run over to the side of the road to relieve ourselves. One time the delay was a tanker truck full of tar overturned, and I poo poo you not a truck full of chickens hit it. I kind of wish I was close enough to experience a real-life tarring & feathering happening but it was cleared by the time we passed by the impact site.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

yea the vaccines don't stop you from catching it, even with the booster. omicron is absurdly infectious. we actually just shattered a one day record today by getting over 1 million new cases

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1478196949287424004?s=20

On a related note, my wife’s federal employer made everyone in the building return to work starting today

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Vertical Lime posted:

10 inches isn't normal around there

:smug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1478214668929933314

lol at the source

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

I always thought there's something cool about the real deal - million years old and forged deep in the earth.

Unfortunately the whole massive pain and suffering that usually goes along with retrieving them kind of outweighs that.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

GD_American posted:

On a related note, my wife’s federal employer made everyone in the building return to work starting today

My employer told us all to just work from home for the holidays in mid-December (we have two teams that rotate one week in-office, one week at home since about September). Our team was originally scheduled back in-office this week which would have sucked but last week they extended it out to January 17th which I presume is Covid related and will see if they push it out again. Also I was sick for two weeks at the beginning of December so I haven’t actually been in the office since November :feelsgood:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Piiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssss

https://twitter.com/HeatherCherone/status/1478380699212140545

I'm glad my office delayed moving to a hybrid system again. They would have been cool if we opted out too, so not a big deal either way, but their reactivity has been nice.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

fartknocker posted:

I’m pretty sure the movie opens with the the Eiffel Tower and most of Paris being destroyed as collateral damage from them stopping terrorists. Plus the whole puppet sex scene.

The deadpan "drat, missed. Wide right." is a very common go-to in our group for a bad shot playing Deep Rock.

e: I'm back in the office after not opening anything related to work since December 23. Not as bad as I would have thought, but I'm assuming that's more related to no managers being at our Tier 2 meetings this morning.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hit da bricks

https://twitter.com/zekejmiller/status/1478384931910864897?s=21

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Came back to the office today and had an email from HR saying "hey sign this piece of paper saying you won't leave in the next three months and we'll give you an extra bonus on top of what you were already getting", surely it has nothing to do with this trend.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

C-Euro posted:

Came back to the office today and had an email from HR saying "hey sign this piece of paper saying you won't leave in the next three months and we'll give you an extra bonus on top of what you were already getting", surely it has nothing to do with this trend.

My wife's boss was awestruck when she was hesitant to sign a two-year guarantee last March. Sure enough, my wife is miserable enough there she's willing to pay back the half she got up front, then we learned it's pro-rated and she won't need to anyway!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Yeah I see a lot of Not Small sign on and retention bonuses come through me and most if not all have that*

*Must pay back bonus in its entirety if you do not remain an employee for a period of 12 months

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
My company has profit sharing in the form of bonuses broken out by squad and we are hiring like crazy and have barely lost anyone hmmm I wonder if there's something to that

got a 5 figure bonus for Q3 when we only made 84% of our goal. Q4 we did 112% so ya boy about to get paaaaid

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have to wonder if places are starting to waive things like 401k match vesting over a period of years or share options starting to vest quarterly rather than a 12-24 month period before the first set will vest. Have to waive that carrot about.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Uh oh, Dr. is sick this morning (respiratory sickness, not morning sickness).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Our (and every other EMS agency) is being hammered because working conditions have been trash for two years, EMT and medic programs are folding everywhere, and administrators are out of answers for how to make the job more attractive to younger people.

Lots of "PEOPLE JUST DONT WANT TO HELP PEOPLE ANYMORE" or "I USED TO WORK 72 HOURS AT A TIME I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY NO ONE IS DEDICATED TO EMS ANYMORE" and "ITS A CALLING NOT A JOB." Uh, no. This is transactional and I expect to be paid and you have to make the job appealing to employees or we are just going to keep hemorrhaging people.

There are lots of challenges - increasing call volumes, stagnant budgets.

Thankfully our agency doesn't do forced overtime, but that's a huge issue at basically every other agency. Also lovely night shift assignments with no shift diff. So we just end up with a rotating cast of inexperienced people on nights and an entrenched veteran class on during the day. Which is remarkable considering night shift staffing has been a solved issue in every other arm of healthcare for forty years.

It's bewildering and I'm not sure where it ends, but probably with a lot of intelligent, talented providers in other fields.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Joey Freshwater posted:

My company has profit sharing in the form of bonuses broken out by squad and we are hiring like crazy and have barely lost anyone hmmm I wonder if there's something to that

got a 5 figure bonus for Q3 when we only made 84% of our goal. Q4 we did 112% so ya boy about to get paaaaid

you hiring? :v:

e: my pup has certainly entered his destroy everything phase

Intruder fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 4, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

They are specifically going for outrage retweets. The tweeted that exact same thing back in may, which, if you click through, is when the article that links to was published.

The article itself is a fairly levelheaded look at the growing field of artificially produced diamonds.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Joey Freshwater posted:

Profit sharing rocks. We only have it on an annual basis, but still was ~10% of my salary this year.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When I was young and didn’t understand a lot of money/salary stuff I thought Medics would be paid a lot better than they are because of how important they seemed.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

When I was young and didn’t understand a lot of money/salary stuff I thought Medics would be paid a lot better than they are because of how important they seemed.

It's kinda the same thing as teachers right? The industries they work for don't generate a lot of money so hey wait a minute

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

Our (and every other EMS agency) is being hammered because working conditions have been trash for two years, EMT and medic programs are folding everywhere, and administrators are out of answers for how to make the job more attractive to younger people.

Lots of "PEOPLE JUST DONT WANT TO HELP PEOPLE ANYMORE" or "I USED TO WORK 72 HOURS AT A TIME I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY NO ONE IS DEDICATED TO EMS ANYMORE" and "ITS A CALLING NOT A JOB." Uh, no. This is transactional and I expect to be paid and you have to make the job appealing to employees or we are just going to keep hemorrhaging people.

There are lots of challenges - increasing call volumes, stagnant budgets.

Thankfully our agency doesn't do forced overtime, but that's a huge issue at basically every other agency. Also lovely night shift assignments with no shift diff. So we just end up with a rotating cast of inexperienced people on nights and an entrenched veteran class on during the day. Which is remarkable considering night shift staffing has been a solved issue in every other arm of healthcare for forty years.

It's bewildering and I'm not sure where it ends, but probably with a lot of intelligent, talented providers in other fields.

There's a 20 year medic on my city's service that basically says the same thing every opportunity he gets. Every article that gets posted by an industry page or mag gets a comment about how there isn't a shortage but poo poo pay for the work.

Spent some time talking to him when we were both working at the same station and the conclusion seems to be getting the old hats out of leadership and the "younger" generation who actually gets the problem in their place. I saw this at my FD with an old chief who is now a town commissioner constantly talking with how back in his day people would come down and work for free and that $10/hr for FTE should be enough. Just a sheer level of cluelessness.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's kinda the same thing as teachers right? The industries they work for don't generate a lot of money so hey wait a minute

It's almost like public goods shouldn't be run the same as a used car dealership. Sanitation and Postal delivery aren't huge profit centers, but the employees are relatively well compensated because it's recognized we need those things for a functional society. Education and healthcare not being treated the same is insane to me.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

bobjr posted:

It depends on where you are and some agencies pay pretty well (mine included) but the hours are long, calls can be gross and stressful, and burnout is real.

When I first got my medic in a junior capacity I was making around 14/hr on a 24/48 schedule---our agency starts medics closer to 24/hr these days.

Still should be more like 30.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

There's a 20 year medic on my city's service that basically says the same thing every opportunity he gets. Every article that gets posted by an industry page or mag gets a comment about how there isn't a shortage but poo poo pay for the work.

Spent some time talking to him when we were both working at the same station and the conclusion seems to be getting the old hats out of leadership and the "younger" generation who actually gets the problem in their place. I saw this at my FD with an old chief who is now a town commissioner constantly talking with how back in his day people would come down and work for free and that $10/hr for FTE should be enough. Just a sheer level of cluelessness.

There's a lot of crab-bucket mentality around the oldheads.

They're quickly finding out who has the power in this dynamic. Sadly the end result is probably privatization by AMR or whatever.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 4, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There's kind of a salary penalty for lines of work with altruistic appeal like medic or teacher or elder care, because the altruistic side of itexpands the pool of potential workers compared to jobs that no one would ever want to do for any reason other than money.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Meanwhile our CEO was asked about a bonus for last year and he apparently said he didn’t want to give it because then “people will just expect it every year” :fuckoff:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

There's kind of a salary penalty for lines of work with altruistic appeal like medic or teacher or elder care, because the altruistic side of itexpands the pool of potential workers compared to jobs that no one would ever want to do for any reason other than money.

Altruism and 'adrenaline junky' poo poo. Local FDs are paid significantly less than we are.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ah yes first day back at work in the New Year and I’m already annoyed at how clueless and helpless HR people are!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

General Dog posted:

Which also explains why cops are so highly paid.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Which also explains why cops are so highly paid.

Eh, I think some cops are definitely in it for the love of the game. They got a union, though. Gotta love those unions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

General Dog posted:

Eh, I think some cops are definitely in it for the love of the game. They got a union, though. Gotta love those unions.

Yeah, but whatever internal motivation they have I wouldn't refer to it as "goodness of the heart."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

fartknocker posted:

I’m pretty sure the movie opens with the the Eiffel Tower and most of Paris being destroyed as collateral damage from them stopping terrorists. Plus the whole puppet sex scene.
The biggest laugh for me was when the protagonists are captured and are about to be fed to "hungry panthers" and then two domestic shorthair cats are put in the enclosure and just kinda look around and are regular cats.

Thaddius the Large posted:

It seems like every time there’s a big snow dump in Portland at least a couple people straight up abandon their cars in the middle of the interstate, like, decide the icy roads aren’t worth it and just walk away leaving their vehicle behind, and usually I’m utterly baffled by that kind of decision making, but man, that kinda jam makes me understand.
I was in the big ice storm of Atlanta that shut down the city overnight, and I understand completely. I'm lucky, I'm in an 18 wheeler with a bunk and enough fuel to idle for 3 days at minimum and have extra water and snacks. I still walked over to the nearest exit the next morning to buy some snacks at a gas station and use the rather dire toilet facilities. That night when the roads were "open" as I was driving through Birmingham I saw lines of abandoned cars all over the place. I say the roads were "open" because only certain directions were open. Westbound I-20 got more sun during the day while Eastbound was in the shade of the trees lining the road. My route was clear and dry while the other side was still so bad that an R+L truck got in trouble and jacknifed going up a hill, blocking traffic that was backed up for many miles.

Last year when Texas was shut down I was lucky in that it was looking bad enough on Tuesday that my dad and I called our boss and said we weren't going because of the conditions and he agreed so we sat at home for two days. The other team that leaves on Monday was stuck in Louisiana for 3 days so even running on Friday we still got home before they did.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 4, 2022

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
~*~Mountain Glamour Shots~*~

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The south and not knowing how to handle snow, name a more iconic duo:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

General Dog posted:

There's kind of a salary penalty for lines of work with altruistic appeal like medic or teacher or elder care, because the altruistic side of it expands the pool of potential workers compared to jobs that no one would ever want to do for any reason other than money.

True, but that altruistic appeal is also exploited as gently caress by administrations to depress salaries all around.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

GD_American posted:

Question- is there a good app/program for total diet/exercise routines for home stuff? I have free weights and a knockoff Bowflex type machine. I'm not going to the gym. Everything I've done diet or exercise wise has been half-assed and intermittent, so I guess I'm ready to go full cultist in a program like P90X or some poo poo

I bounce between 3 apps for health and fitness, depending on what I’m doing. All are free for what I need them for, with minimal ads.
MyFitnessPal is for recording my weight & what I eat. It has a really awesome barcode scanner to help take some work out of logging, and recently logged foods are easily available.
Strava is for any running/biking I do. Start it when I go for a run, records time and distance, shows mile time splits and total workouts over the year.
The newest one is just called ‘Strong’ for weightlifting. First time through you can create a routine, then when you want to repeat it you just select it. It will preload your sets with the reps and weight you did, so it’s easy to see if you should move up in either, and afterwards it will ask if you want to update the template. I’ve been really surprised at how robust it is for such a simple-looking app.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Wish I was getting a bonus this year but ceo is being stingy which is an interesting choice considering half the staff gets approached by new recruiters every month. Hopefully I get one of the jobs I’ve been interviewing for and can leave him to deal with his idiocy

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I honestly don't give a lot of credence to bonuses since in my experience the requirements to get them are heavily weighted against non management and there are always excuses as to why they won't be any. When negotiating in the past I usually push to crap the bonus and make my base higher or convert the bonus to guaranteed RSUs. The latter has worked more than the former the majority of the time it is "not negotiable" which is usually when I say I am not interested. One place not long out of University had everyone agree to reduce their 10% bonus to 3% base pay raise (this was not on top of any annual raises, everyone got 3%) and a 5% bonus. As soon as this was done magically the company started meeting targets to get everyone a 2.5% bonus.

Renegotiating some contracts for 2022 and it is always fun especially after 2021 when pay and hourly rates went up very publicly and clients start with the usual "our op ex budget didn't increase this year so can you keep the same rate?". Sure I can not raise my rate for you or I can take some new business to replace your hours at a higher rate. When I call myself a Mercenary I am not being ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
Did a phone interview for a customer service manager position. I almost laughed at them when they asked me what I thought my pay should be and then they countered. I of course shot high purposely to give myself some wiggle room. When they said their number I told them that's what I make now in a non management position so that won't happen. I countered with my "real" number I wanted so they said they will talk it over and get back to me the end of this week or early next week as they want to fill the position fast.