Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

In my opinion the original Trigun anime is superior to the trigun + maximum manga.

Agreed, but I'm super excited to see what the new show can do with the rough material because there's definitely some stuff to work with.

I thought going post-apocalyptic was super ballsy, too bad it was pretty much ignored after a few chapters. I doubt we're going to see it here unless there's a third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Just passing through your depraved subforum to say I just finished this show the other night and it was loving awesome.

I've never been a huge anime fan but oddly in highschool I was obsessed with the original series. I searched around and paid a hefty sum for the DVD box set. I listened to the soundtrack constantly. I went as Wolfwood for Halloween one year, complete with the huge cross.

The remake was great. Pulled no punches, didn't spend much time at all episodically meandering like the original did with the first half of the series. Threw you right into the Gung-Ho Guns action and Knives' plot. The action was awesome, and the celshade-style 3D animation was incredibly well-done.

As someone who only has a little experience with anime, I find it bizarre but incredibly fun how straight some tropes are played. If you were an American film/TV writer and you wanted to keep cutting to your villain brooding around and playing an intense musical piece on a gigantic piano/pipe organ like some Phantom of the Opera poo poo, you'd be laughed out of the writers' room. That sort of thing is apparently par for the course in anime. Also the music in the opening/closing credits is hilarious.

I have a couple of questions: First, I might have missed it, is it ever explained why Vash's revolver in this is chambered in .22? I understand the gun itself isn't really as much of a 'star' as it was in the original series (and appears to be just some random goon's revolver Knives hands to him), seems a particularly odd choice though, when the original was this fuckoff huge .45 magnum.

Second, I haven't read the manga. Is Stampede closer in any ways to it than the original anime? I know we see Tesla, the first Independent Plant, which is taken from the manga and absent from the original series. Are there other ways it's 'closer to the source material' than the original anime?

I think I'm gonna throw on some of the original series soundtrack tonight. Imahori's music was awesome. The jazz/prog-rock stuff felt like it could have been King Crimson, and it was also peppered with beautiful electronic elements like breakcore drums, or almost musique concrete industrial noise pieces. IMO, it beats the poo poo out of the Cowboy Bebop OST.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 5, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
His gun being chambered in .22 is a joke based off of how massive it is for such a small caliber and it also speaks to Vash's desire to do no harm. Do he uses the least violent firearm he can obtain.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Arc Hammer posted:

His gun being chambered in .22 is a joke based off of how massive it is for such a small caliber and it also speaks to Vash's desire to do no harm. Do he uses the least violent firearm he can obtain.

I figured as much, thanks. Is it actually the same revolver that Knives gives him to kill Luida? It looks really similar.

Are we getting another season? I just skimmed a bit of the thread and some posts seem to suggest so. I really liked the parts in the end that seem to reference the original series, like Vash's bounty being upped to $$60billion, and Meryl going to meet Millie. For a second I thought we were getting the 'sike it's a prequel' treatment, but based on some other details that's obviously not the case.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I figured as much, thanks. Is it actually the same revolver that Knives gives him to kill Luida? It looks really similar.

Are we getting another season? I just skimmed a bit of the thread and some posts seem to suggest so. I really liked the parts in the end that seem to reference the original series, like Vash's bounty being upped to $$60billion, and Meryl going to meet Millie. For a second I thought we were getting the 'sike it's a prequel' treatment, but based on some other details that's obviously not the case.

We’re only halfway into the story. Yes, there’s going to be another season

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Mister Speaker posted:

As someone who only has a little experience with anime, I find it bizarre but incredibly fun how straight some tropes are played. If you were an American film/TV writer and you wanted to keep cutting to your villain brooding around and playing an intense musical piece on a gigantic piano/pipe organ like some Phantom of the Opera poo poo, you'd be laughed out of the writers' room. That sort of thing is apparently par for the course in anime. Also the music in the opening/closing credits is hilarious.
Keep in mind the manga began in 1996. I don't know if that bit was from it directly but it's certainly on brand.

On the other hand, I'm sure there were already contemporaries parodying this kind of thing.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

The remake was great. Pulled no punches, didn't spend much time at all episodically meandering like the original did with the first half of the series. Threw you right into the Gung-Ho Guns action and Knives' plot. The action was awesome, and the celshade-style 3D animation was incredibly well-done.

Agree with all of this except why was the opening/closing music hilarious?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ccs posted:

Agree with all of this except why was the opening/closing music hilarious?

IDK, I just find a lot of theme music to anime tends to be bizarre to my 'North American sensibility'. I can't really put a finger on why that is, it just feels strange. It's partly that both songs are basically fully-produced pop songs, they 'feel' like less the theme music to a TV show and more something you'd hear on the radio. It's not meant to be a dig at the show in any way, I just find the music choice strange, and I understand a lot of anime has similar musical tropes. We really were spoiled by the original though.

Larryb posted:

We’re only halfway into the story. Yes, there’s going to be another season

Do you mean that we've only seen half of the story as laid out by the manga? Further to my query about how much of this remake is borrowed from the manga, does Knives die that early in the books too, and if so who becomes the Big Bad in his place?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Do you mean that we've only seen half of the story as laid out by the manga? Further to my query about how much of this remake is borrowed from the manga, does Knives die that early in the books too, and if so who becomes the Big Bad in his place?
I'd say we've seen less than half the story of the manga, but it's hard to tell because Stampede is essentially doing a compressed remix. A lot of the beats are from the manga, but placed in a different context. If they wanted to spread things out they could do two seasons, but most series don't get beyond a season or two so it seems likely they'll attempt it in one.

If they thought they could swing a third season, we'd probably see an expansion of the church and space plotlines, both of which are exclusive to the manga. We'll probably only know when we get several episodes into the next season (airdate TBD).

Knives isn't dead, just horrifically injured. If they follow the manga more closely then Legato will try to take the reins, but we might see a lot more of Elendira as well.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Vash's desire to do no harm. Do he uses the least violent firearm he can obtain.

This is what I took it as. As a pacifist gunslinger, Vash purposely uses the most anemic calibre he can. Him having a big revolver is just anime being anime.

Which, anime can definitely be anime as hell. I wouldn't consider myself that much of a fan of anime, but there are some series I really like and are still chock full of anime tropes. Vinland Saga is played like japanese school girl drama, but vikings on farms instead.

The ED song sounds very like 2000s soft rock and sounds a bit out of place. The OP absolutely slaps though, helped by the great animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjg5NXtpnZU

When it breaks down half way through and Vash is trying to run in desperation is :discourse:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I got the impression that Vash's revolver isn't so much a gun as it is a tonfa-like club for non-lethal self-defence that can sometimes be used to shoot things. Hence huge block of metal with absolutely diddly calibre.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Sakuracon was this weekend, and there was a panel on Trigun Stampede hosted by some of the Studio Orange crew. There's some pretty cool stuff on twitter that people have been posting, if you wanna go digging for it:

Livetweeting thread during the panel. The change from .45 to .22 was apparently Nightow's suggestion:

https://twitter.com/gherkin_jerkin/status/1644818803858235392

Concept art for Vash and Knives:

https://twitter.com/gemgd2/status/1644848969867235328

And some Vash cosplayers, of course (Watanabe is the producer for Trigun Stampede):

https://twitter.com/Langarang/status/1644912808050708480

Apparently Studio Orange has asked fans to encourage people to watch the show, because they'd like to continue making more seasons than what's been announced so far.

EDIT: Another thread on the panel, with more images. This one has great information in it.

https://twitter.com/Langarang/status/1645099807860719623

Chrysolith fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 9, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

With the final episode of the dub airing, I can rejoin this now dead thread. Hooray.

This show feels like both a prequel to the 90s anime and also a speedrun to get into the back half of the manga that the previous anime didn't get to

I liked it a lot!
Though I think if I watched it without having a familiarity with the material I probably wouldn't like it so much?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I watched it with several people unfamiliar with the source material and they're absolutely in love with it

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

I watched it having no prior knowledge of Trigun at all, loved it, then went and watched the 1998 anime, which I also love. I totally get why people were asking about a person called Milly and why she's so important to a lot of fans!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Got a couple of friends watching stampede. Spread the love

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I was also unfamiliar with Trigun and adored Stampede, actually started avoiding the thread because it seemed to mostly talk about the manga and old anime which I wasn't interested in. :shobon: luckily the fast pace of the show meant the spoilers didn't bother me too much

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Man, still gotta catch the last ep they dropped. I'm just not responding much to Stampede or its treatment of Vash, Wolfwood or Knives. Yet I wound up liking meryl and got a lil misty for the boozy guy whose stache made him look like a dog, so it hasn't been all mid.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

There's a lot of good stuff that came out from SakuraCon this weekend, but I'll just going to drop this here as a non-spoiler point of confusion.

https://twitter.com/Langarang/status/1645099830140899328

How does the map we saw (which was pretty clearly a modified map of Earth) have anything to do with this? Did they screw up and not put in the correct map?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah I watched it with someone who has no idea about the series and she liked it a lot too. Its interesting because tbh we had no complaints about the quick pace vs the threads general opinion

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

loved the og anime and the manga/maximum but found some of the big changes to be off putting when it was announced and quickly wrote it off. now having read a spoiler or two and seeing the love that orange put into conceptualizing this and that nightow told em to have fun with it i'm fully on board and slapping myself on the wrist for being skeptical. can't wait to watch! thanks for posting the panel details

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

There's some kind of disconnect between me and the people who dislike the pacing in this show because I thought the pace was excellent. Also thought wolfwood and Meryl were side characters that got developed plenty, think wolfwood even got multiple focus episodes.

I just thought it was a great show all around tbh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm coming at it from the point of view of someone who watched the original first so I felt that Meryl's character arc in Stampede was more for the sake of getting her character to where she is at the start of the OG anime, a cynical but ultimately well meaning person to contrast against Milly's boundless optimism. Which, fine, if thats what you wanted then job well done. But I always found Meryl more interesting in how she moves on from that cynicism and becomes influenced by Vash's compassion for humanity. The episode in the original show where Vash barely appears and Meryl and Milly have to solve the problem on their own is one of my favorites because of the part where Meryl let's her guard down to openly embrace another human and help them heal.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i watched the original show first too

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I've only watched the first anime and Stampede, haven't read the manga, and it felt to me like this was 18 or 19 episodes worth of content crammed into 12, and I'm really not sure how some of you aren't feeling that. I still had a great time and am absolutely looking forward to more, but several parts of the story felt heavily rushed, most notably being Wolfwood is barely established as part of the group before we start getting reveals about his association with Knives and the GHG, conflicts with Vash that don't feel earned because they've barely known each other for any time at all, and flashback origin story stuff with Livio. Also, several characters and plot threads are just abandoned and never referenced again. There's also some writing issues I have that specifically have to do with Knives and how his idiotic, circuitous logic for why every bad thing that happens is definitely not because he's just an amoral piece of poo poo is never once argued against or disputed by Vash (or any other character, seemingly) but maybe that's a holdover from the manga I'm not familiar with.

All that said, I think Meryl and Roberto's story was done really well, probably the best part of it; the last episode was excellent and overall the show's a thumbs up, but I do hope they slow it down going forward. I don't necessarily need this version of the story to be 10 episodes of goofing around in the desert with silly donut man who gets serious for 8 seconds at the end of each episode to solve the problem before we start having plot, and I do like sadboy Vash hours, but a little more room for stuff to breathe would be appreciated.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i rather liked the sequence of knives seeing how awful humanity is -> going psycho in an us or them breakdown fueled by his elitism -> vash disagrees, but isn't able to present an intellectual argument against it because him and knives simply are not on the same wavelength and that's not how vash's worldview is built. "after this long that's the best you can come up with?" is a great line i love it

it did feel like there was maybe half an episode of wolfwood and vash becoming friends missing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We are getting another season of Stampede right (or was this just supposed to be a short prequel of sorts)?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Orange has indicated that how much we'll ultimately get will depend on the reception/sales/etc, but there will be another season.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Orange has indicated that how much we'll ultimately get will depend on the reception/sales/etc, but there will be another season.

And how has the general reception/sales for Stampede been so far?

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

We have no idea yet, but anecdotally it seems like the western fandom is coming around through word of mouth. I'd guess that the combination of knowing that it's prequel of sorts and that there will be a second season, plus hype from the last episode, is pulling people in. The first two episodes were shown at a con back in the fall and three Orange staff (two producers and the director) were just at SakuraCon, so they're definitely aware that an international audience is key to getting some of that sweet, sweet streaming cash.

It looks like the first disc goes on sale on April 19, so maybe two weeks after that we'll get a sense of how it's selling.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

Looking it up they’re apparently referring to Season 2 as “the final phase” so I’m not sure what more we could get out of the series regardless (unless they plan on doing some anime exclusive material like a direct sequel to the manga or something)

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

i rather liked the sequence of knives seeing how awful humanity is -> going psycho in an us or them breakdown fueled by his elitism -> vash disagrees, but isn't able to present an intellectual argument against it because him and knives simply are not on the same wavelength and that's not how vash's worldview is built. "after this long that's the best you can come up with?" is a great line i love it

really enjoyed this and their whole dynamic in general. two very lonely people who in theory should be able to relate, but their fundamental worldviews make them incapable of finding solace in each other. tragic poo poo, love the pathos

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Larryb posted:

Looking it up they’re apparently referring to Season 2 as “the final phase” so I’m not sure what more we could get out of the series regardless (unless they plan on doing some anime exclusive material like a direct sequel to the manga or something)

IIRC they also referred to the last bunch of episodes as "the final arc" so who knows. There's nothing that says that a final phase has to be only one season or that they couldn't continue under a different name. Anime production in general is so bad at this that I have to wonder if there's actually a problem with some nuance being lost when they move to English, like "final until further notice" or "last [of a subset]" or similar.

Side note: Orange had some pretty good English on Wolfwood's contract, but we also got worms/wams, July/JuLai, and No Man's Land/Normansland.

ETA: Also forgot the hysterical English on William Conrad's control panel. He went through the effort of making a PowerPoint deck and he'll be damned if he doesn't get to present it!

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 10, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Maera Sior posted:

There's nothing that says that a final phase has to be only one season or that they couldn't continue under a different name.

Lol Attack on Titan is currently in Season 4: The Final Season: Part 3: Part 2

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good point. I’m also curious to see how they handle Milly as well since here they’ll effectively be bringing her in at the middle of the story as opposed to the original manga and anime where she was there from the start

Whimsicalfuckery
Sep 6, 2011

It would be absolutely amazing if western audiences discovered Stampede and give it the attention it deserves (at least I think,) I kind of wonder if the slightly salty reaction from some sections of the fanbase early on kind of put people off ever checking it out. I nearly never checked it out just based on the comments that the initial trailers were getting on Youtube and MAL but I'm so so glad I gave it a shot and discovered not only this great show but the rest of Trigun as a result.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

YES bread posted:

really enjoyed this and their whole dynamic in general. two very lonely people who in theory should be able to relate, but their fundamental worldviews make them incapable of finding solace in each other. tragic poo poo, love the pathos

part of why i love that line (and a lot of knives' interactions with vash towards the end of the show) is that i get the impression he could be convinced, or is at least willing to consider vash's point of view. but he built his viewpoint on a careful, logical consideration of the facts that him and vash exist because of humans performing grotesque dissections of plants that even their loving mother figure was complicit in, and read our history enough to know that the exploitation of plants is only "new" in that it wasn't always just the plants humans were doing this sort of stuff to. he's at least partially where he's at now for a lack of competing viewpoints that he's willing to consider, and the only person he sees as enough of an equal to possibly give that to him just won't. not even an argument that knives disagrees with but can understand, he just fundamentally doesn't get why vash feels the way he does and is absolutely seething that vash can't even reject him properly.

like there's a level beyond disliking how enamored vash is with humans, he hates that his brother has had all of the facts laid out before him and can't even explain why he disagrees. i think being unable to figure that out is why he treats vash the way he does and hurts him the way he does, he's looking for vash to show him any reason to believe that vash isn't still just a child clinging to his asbestos-stuffed toy and he can't find one. he's been getting increasingly desperate and extreme in trying to find an answer until 100+ years later here we are, knives completely disassociated from both seeing humans as capable of any long term good and seeing vash as anything but a helpless, misguided child.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

So I'm finished and after the big showy conclusion, I feel really about the same as for most of the series: nothing at all. They turned Trigun into an emotionally inert marvel show. Tsk tsk. Western audiences are bound to love it.

Vash and Wolfwood just kinda suck in this, they have no charm, no rapport, no nothing, just an angry dick yelling at the shrinking violet who keeps saving his stupid rear end. They're just boring mopey losers, and their behavior in most of the show just frustrated me. The confontation between Knives feels like what its all building up to, but in the end it doesnt feel like what I watched was a duel of opposing viewpoints, just lots of words from an obvious lost cause. Yeah, maybe having those extra 10 eps of bumming around, ie actually looking cool, saving people, seeing all the ways people actually do suck(via slavery/bandits/etc) and contrasting/challenging vash's idealism w that would've gone along way to giving the big clash of ideals any bite or weight.

The pacing def doesn't help in other ways; there's a bit in the middle where I thought we must've skipped something, giving vash a second rem to transcribe most of her story onto is just kinda hacky, and man did I not care about legato or the gung ho guns in this. The choices Orange made in this didn't help me glean any further insight into really any of the characters involved, and if I had come into Stampede bringing no feelings about the 90's show into it, it's an open question whether I'd get what's supposed to be cool or interesting about them, bc they almost never are.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be fair I don't think they're really treating the assassins this season as the Gung Ho Guns, just as the Eye of Michael group. Since Legato is still prowling about he might set to making his own Gung Ho Guns for season 2.

And he better because this show completely wasted Legato's brief screentime. I don't know about you but driving around in a dune buggy and using your psychic will to crash a sand steamer doesn't have quite the visceral edge of turning an entire town into killers against their will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Sockser posted:

Lol Attack on Titan is currently in Season 4: The Final Season: Part 3: Part 2

I don't think any show will ever top that.