Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

bike tory posted:

PSA in case anyone missed it: everyone over 30 can get a bivalent covid booster as of yesterday. You just can't haven't had a booster or covid in the last 6 months.

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
can't haven't had

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

bike tory posted:

PSA in case anyone missed it: everyone over 30 can get a bivalent covid booster as of yesterday. You just can't haven't had a booster or covid in the last 6 months.

Sweet, I'll need to book that in.

Also just found out (been stuck at hospital/home with a bad leg all last month) AT extended the half-price fares until the end of June, so that's nice.

On a related note, cellulitis loving sucks! Especially when the antibiotics the hospital gave you don't entirely work! Thank you Auckland DHB!

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 2, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/131678385/green-party-releases-initial-election-list-elizabeth-kerekere-jumps-to-four

:allears:

no big surprises really. Golriz down to #9 behind Hūhana Lyndon probably the biggest upset. Efeso Collins is on the list at #12. It's unlikely to change much based on members votes, I can't remember the exact process but I think the most someone can move based on member rankings is 2 spots?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sean plunket got banned from Twitter

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/brendankellol/status/1642734990223106048?s=20

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

bike tory posted:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/131678385/green-party-releases-initial-election-list-elizabeth-kerekere-jumps-to-four

:allears:

no big surprises really. Golriz down to #9 behind Hūhana Lyndon probably the biggest upset. Efeso Collins is on the list at #12. It's unlikely to change much based on members votes, I can't remember the exact process but I think the most someone can move based on member rankings is 2 spots?

Naw the member vote can rearrange it completely - it's the post-member-vote adjustments for balancing or politics that are capped at 2 positions.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

xiw posted:

Naw the member vote can rearrange it completely - it's the post-member-vote adjustments for balancing or politics that are capped at 2 positions.

Because the members can rearrange it, what is the point of releasing this list in its current state?
edit: I'm dumb

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 3, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

have you ever tried rearranging something that doesn't exist

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Does Perestroika count

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

drat I know a person at work that will definitely make the most of things like this
"Bereavement leave will be expanded so that employees can access three days of leave for more types of family members."

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

and like if you have asthma diabtes whatnot

and flu vax opened up too

today was busy and wednesday when we do both flu and covid together will be poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
an extremely boomer thing:

boomers HATE waiting after a vaccine.

part of the questions I ask everyone is if they're happy waiting 20 mins. I work in a mall so people ask "can I go to the coffee shop?" but I say no it has to be in the store. the look on their face is as if I told them they couldnt raise the rent on their tenant for 3 years

the biggest thing is : none of them have anything better to be doing.

some just leave lol

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

I've been a dues paying member for the Greens for nearly a decade and while I get frustrated at times when that member list ranking email arrives in my inbox I actually feel like I have a part to play in the process and I feel rejuvenated

Voting Francisco H as high as practical

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

xiw posted:

Ah right I couldn't remember what order it all happened in

echinopsis posted:

and like if you have asthma diabtes whatnot

and flu vax opened up too

today was busy and wednesday when we do both flu and covid together will be poo poo

I've been telling people about it in conversation and it's kind of shocking A) how few people knew and B) how few people care

"Oh another one, is there even any point?" is the general response. Like these aren't antivaxxers or anything and many of the same people were fully pro lockdown 18 months ago.

mweb posted:

I've been a dues paying member for the Greens for nearly a decade and while I get frustrated at times when that member list ranking email arrives in my inbox I actually feel like I have a part to play in the process and I feel rejuvenated

Yeah Francisco is a really good vote. Lawrence is another one too far down the initial list imo. Otherwise the top 7 are a really solid core, idk anything about Hūhana Lyndon but she's got an impressive CV so I guess her current ranking makes sense.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I assume I'm missing something about why Efeso Collins is so high up.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ACT has announced their policy platform for this election. Spoiler: it's Māori bashin' time

https://www.act.org.nz/press-releases/free-press-3-april-2023

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

ACT has announced their policy platform for this election. Spoiler: it's Māori bashin' time

https://www.act.org.nz/press-releases/free-press-3-april-2023

Same as every election then.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

I've been telling people about it in conversation and it's kind of shocking A) how few people knew and B) how few people care

"Oh another one, is there even any point?" is the general response. Like these aren't antivaxxers or anything and many of the same people were fully pro lockdown 18 months ago.

The media told them covid was important so they were pro lockdown

Then the media told them covid was over so now they don't give a gently caress

My solution: eat the media

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Confusedslight posted:

Because the members can rearrange it, what is the point of releasing this list in its current state?
edit: I'm dumb

it's not an unreasonable question, i've definitely had arguments over the influence the kind of political sicko who attends a candidate conference has on the initial list and how much that drives the membership vote. There's definitely an incumbency / name recognition bias on the wider membership list, but i also think there's an anti-incumbency bias on the delegate one, so it all kind of works out.

mweb posted:

Yeah 'as a member you actually have a democratic say over your parliamentary representation' is a pretty big selling point when I discuss this with people tbh, even if the tradeoff is inevitable rage about the 'the membership VOTING WRONG'

fran and stephanie are fun follows but also my pick for most likely winners of the 2024 'shitposting myself into a scandal' pool, not that I'm gonna vote them down because of it

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

xiw posted:

fran and stephanie are fun follows but also my pick for most likely winners of the 2024 'shitposting myself into a scandal' pool, not that I'm gonna vote them down because of it

They're the powerful posting representation that we need in Parliament and I will only vote for the Greens if they put them both in the top 12.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

They're the powerful posting representation that we need in Parliament and I will only vote for the Greens if they put them both in the top 12.

hi fran

or stephanie

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I hope none of you like money.

Context

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Spiteski posted:

I hope none of you like money.

Context

Inflation is still too high and persistent, and employment is beyond its maximum sustainable level.

Too many people have jobs dammit!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

If only we could like, take some money from those who have a lot, rather than just blaming the people working in the economy we built where if people don't work they die.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

Inflation is still too high and persistent, and employment is beyond its maximum sustainable level.

I am not an economist... but that sounds absolutely bonkers right? Like, can someone explain this like I am an idiot? (I am) why there is a MINIMUM unemployment?

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Spiteski posted:

I am not an economist... but that sounds absolutely bonkers right? Like, can someone explain this like I am an idiot? (I am) why there is a MINIMUM unemployment?

The thought process is, if you don't have enough people unemployed, then businesses have to offer better money to get or retain staff.

That means they have to charge more pushing prices up.

Note that wages are around 20-35% of the costs of products (depending on industry), so even a wage increase of 10% should only cause a 2-3.5% increase in prices. And that is only if all the employees in a company get that increase.

Also people will have more money to spend, increasing demand for products and companies look at this demand and figure they can further increase prices as they seem to be able to get away with it, hiding behind saying wages have increased, oh no :(

The solution that capitalism comes up with when companies start price gouging and making excessive profits is to punish workers. This punishment is to take money away from them to try and make them buy less. This is done by increasing interest rates. One of the things this does is increase mortgage rates, so people have less money to spend. It will also hopefully make more people unemployed so they also buy less. And businesses are more able to exploit workers.

This is a good thing apparently.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Spiteski posted:

Neoliberal economies target 4% unemployment to curb wages. And then punish the unemployed.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Captured market economics.

Inflation is caused by too much money in the system. The prevailing economic theory is that you want some inflation because it helps with debts and incentivises investment, but you don't can't have too much and you want it predictable because otherwise people would lose faith in the currency and it would devalue.

Now, employment is a market. Just like all market goods, the price of an employee is dictated largely by supply and demand. When unemployment is "too low" then the price of an employee (theoretically) rises commensurately. This is, in my opinion, not very true because our economic system is predicated on the majority of people not being in the position to market themselves and often surviving simply from lowest bidder to lowest bidder; and almost nobody's wages are adjusted on a day-to-day basis in response for the demand of their labour so they will be locked in at a price dictated sometime in the past.

When inflation is going too high, economists look to all their metrics to see which ones will extract money from the economy. If you increase unemployment then the supply of employees to be hired goes up and the price of each unit is suppressed. This is how you extract money from unemployment, because those employees hired at suppressed rates will be at that suppressed rate probably until they move jobs, which is harder to do when there's a lot of cheap employees.
High unemployment means lower wages. Lower wages means lower spending power. Lower spending power means less money circulating in the economy

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Thought you had any real power you peasants? Mwhahaha how cute. - rbnz

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Confusedslight posted:

drat, guess we’ll have to double the unemployment benefit to entice people out of work

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spiteski posted:

Economics is astrology designed to justify whatever keeps the ruling class in power and has no basis in material reality. If it did it would be Marxism and that's banned. Hth

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Neoliberal economies target 4% unemployment to curb wages. And then punish the unemployed.

the orphan-grinder may not be a perfect system, but it's the one we have

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ledge posted:

companies look at this demand and figure they can further increase prices as they seem to be able to get away with it, hiding behind saying wages have increased, oh no :(

and they get away with it because covid drastically cut the supply of everything, while subsidies (including low rates by rbnz) kept demand high. this is all specifically a hangover from that

wasn't everyone just complaining about cost of living a month or two ago?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ledge posted:

Note that wages are around 20-35% of the costs of products (depending on industry), so even a wage increase of 10% should only cause a 2-3.5% increase in prices. And that is only if all the employees in a company get that increase.

wait what

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I told my mum tonight I just dont want to talk politics anymore.

She listens to talk back all the time. and also I don't care very much so I am not very informed, but also don't really agree with her politics

but I don't really ever have any counter arguments to the things she says, not because she's correct, but she has way more information overall. whenever I offer a counter argument she knows of some facts that I don't.

This must be what it's like to be a christian and arguing with an athiest lol.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I love this country but its getting harder and harder to really rationalise that. Like I don't want to live anywhere else but oh man does it suck sometimes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just dont get poor

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Or be alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

echinopsis posted:

just dont get poor

WarpedNaba posted:

Or be alone.

Are you suggesting those are optional, because I may need to rethink some of my life choices.