Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

poe sucks because all the abilities feel bad to use except for like 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I have never even played it softcore so I have to keep playing it over and over again without having done a minute of homework whenever they spawn a monster that 1 hits you with some poo poo you never seen before. And it’s still a wonderful Diablo itch scratcher. Jump in.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

johnny park posted:

Yea but have you played any other of these games. Diablo 1 is the only one that you like pressing the swing sword button but that’s cuz it’s old and cute.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

d2 kicks rear end actually

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Touhou music owns and the weirdo should be chain probated until he stops posting imho

I went to look back to see if he ate a sixer or something

lmao

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
lol running away to cspam to complain about sagas owns, total power play

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
If anyone wants an offline version of a Diablo clone that doesn't have seasons or requires you to be online all the time check out Grim Dawn. It doesn't have insanely complicated skill trees either.

Diablo seems to be extremely popular but it doesn't have a lot of clones. Unlike FPS or other things. They don't seem like a difficult game to make either. I'll never understand that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's a million freak rear end anime series you could try to do epic owns on and he misses all of them to go for the 20+ year old videogame series about fully clothed women shooting energy beams at eachother.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

CelticPredator posted:

AvP 1999 still holds up and I’ve been having fun playing through it

one of the GOATs

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Valko posted:

If anyone wants an offline version of a Diablo clone that doesn't have seasons or requires you to be online all the time check out Grim Dawn. It doesn't have insanely complicated skill trees either.

Diablo seems to be extremely popular but it doesn't have a lot of clones. Unlike FPS or other things. They don't seem like a difficult game to make either. I'll never understand that.

I think the basic gameplay loop of an FPS is less prohibitive to iterate on than something like Diablo that requires you to balance many more things

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Psycho Landlord posted:

one of the GOATs

It’s still scary. Every time I hear the facehuggers my booty whole clenches

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Valko posted:

This is exactly what the Torchlight games are

also Torchlight 1 is offline and single-player only

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
For me PoE is an acronym for the old Portal of Evil website and I refuse to have this changed by a video game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Grim Dawn is pretty decent. Its story basically comes off as taking the basic premise of Reaper of Souls but making it less bleak. This actually works out because Reaper of Souls was so bleak it spun back around to self-parody, presumably as an overreaction to people complaining about the tone of base D3.

Meanwhile, I wish the Torchlight games were good.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Grim Dawn is awesome and it’s tuned for single player which means you get sweet loot all the time.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Drinkslinger posted:

This is exactly what the Torchlight games are

also Torchlight 1 is offline and single-player only

Yeah, I liked the first two Torchlight games but they seemed dated compared to Grim Dawn. Isn't the first one over a decade old? I've heard bad reports about Torchlight three.

I remember one of the first caves you visited in Skryim was called Embershard Mine. I can't help thinking that was a reference to Torchlight. Like the Notched Pickaxe.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

For me PoE is an acronym for the old Portal of Evil website and I refuse to have this changed by a video game.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I have like 4.5k hours in poe on steam but I've been off it for like two years now. Might check out the new league and try it out on the steam deck as well, I spent a lot of money on cosmetics and stash tabs when I was playing every league..

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

And here I was thinking I was the oldest guy in this thread.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Valko posted:

And here I was thinking I was the oldest guy in this thread.

Get off my lawn.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Should I Google that or what

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

johnny park posted:

d2 kicks rear end actually

d2 is very good and for people who like it I would recommend checking out project diablo 2 when the next season starts. it's kind of like if blizzard had continued developing classic lod

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
im playing grim dawn for the first time while i wait for new poe league and then d4. year of the arpg.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Grim Dawn is awesome and it’s tuned for single player which means you get sweet loot all the time.

I should reinstall it, I feel like I bounced off it a little too easily the first time.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Portal of Evil was a website back in the late 90's and early 2000's that was a collection of obscure websites. They had rule - you weren't supposed to harass webmasters of the weird sites you looked up. It was unlike the early days of SA and awful link of the day when nobody had a problem with 'goonrushing' obscure geocities webpages. They saw themselves as curators of the bizarre, don't harass and disturb these weirdos so they don't leave the internet.

Some internet legends were frequent contributors to PoE, like Robert Wolpaw (of Old Man Murray Fame and also one of the story writers for Portal) and Seanbaby.

It doesn't exist anymore. I just googled "Portal of Evil" and the first two results were a tabletop RPG and obscure computer game from 2015. The third result was from WikiFur - people who would have an obvious beef about someplace like Portal of Evil.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Grim Dawn is good, but very long.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Valko posted:

They're out there but outside PoE/Grim Dawn they're varying levels of cheap and janky. Last Epoch is the current FotM, Chronicon is my personal favorite but looks like a 2000s flash game, Victor Vran is the most inventive by putting heavy emphasis on movement. There's others too but those are the most interesting ones imo.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Big Mad Drongo posted:

They're out there but outside PoE/Grim Dawn they're varying levels of cheap and janky. Last Epoch is the current FotM, Chronicon is my personal favorite but looks like a 2000s flash game, Victor Vran is the most inventive by putting heavy emphasis on movement. There's others too but those are the most interesting ones imo.

Oh yeah! I was going to mention Victor Vran but it seems like it's own unique thing with it's jumping puzzles and lack of a skill tree. I was going to mention The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing too but that doesn't really qualify as a diablo clone either becuase enemies don't respawn.

Um. I should confess that I never actually played Diablo, I just like the style of game.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

:smith::hf:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Minecraft Dungeons is chill also.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The only thing I remember about torchlight is the mod that turned my pet into an otter

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

johnny park posted:

a lot of the abilities are cool and feel cool to use but after the tenth hour of pressing between 1 and 3 buttons to oneshot everything while you vacuum up loot sometimes you get bored and want to reroll another build
and then you realize it'll be another like 8 hours of just leveling your new character before you can even reach the endgame and try your build for real

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The first piece of honest-to-God Internet drama I witnessed firsthand was when an extremely cringey acquaintance was getting dragged on Portal of Evil and tried to sell out someone else in that friend group to get PoE clout, except the guy he was trying to sell out was much less awkward and also a young teen, so dude nuked his social life just to have PoE say "lol who cares"

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Valko posted:

I remember TitanQuest being pretty great, they made some new expansions decades after it came out iirc

e: oh drat Grim Dawn is actually built off the TitanQuest engine

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I think Titan Quest was made by the same people who made Grim Dawn. It has some of the same mechanics, like picking two skill trees. The updates made it unbalanced if I remember. Dreamweaver was so much powerful than any other class.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

one of the stranger things i saw on POE was a guy being mad at k thor jensen for being in a dating reality show because apparently that loses him his clout or some dumb nerd poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Valko posted:

Portal of Evil was a website back in the late 90's and early 2000's that was a collection of obscure websites. They had rule - you weren't supposed to harass webmasters of the weird sites you looked up. It was unlike the early days of SA and awful link of the day when nobody had a problem with 'goonrushing' obscure geocities webpages. They saw themselves as curators of the bizarre, don't harass and disturb these weirdos so they don't leave the internet.

Some internet legends were frequent contributors to PoE, like Robert Wolpaw (of Old Man Murray Fame and also one of the story writers for Portal) and Seanbaby.

It doesn't exist anymore. I just googled "Portal of Evil" and the first two results were a tabletop RPG and obscure computer game from 2015. The third result was from WikiFur - people who would have an obvious beef about someplace like Portal of Evil.

Also the oft-mentioned F Plus podcast was started by a bunch of ex-PoE forums people, some of whom are also SA members.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I forgot when exactly the transition from DDRGD to IZ was, but in whichever state it was in mid 2016, a thread there is how I ended in PoE. Thanks Larry.

Captain Invictus posted:

The only thing I remember about torchlight is the mod that turned my pet into an otter

Torchlight 1 and 2 had potential but never finished them for reasons I can only describe as "actually, they were boring and meaningless"

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

oh i really liked titanquest, sounds like grim dawn is something i should get next steam sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Splash Attack posted:

oh i really liked titanquest, sounds like grim dawn is something i should get next steam sale

The vanilla version of Grim Dawn was made by an independant studio and only costs £20 right now. I think I got in sale for £15. It's popular and if you wanna buy all the expansions it probably costs a whole lot more.

I think this is worth paying for it:

I've read interviews of MMA fighters and they say the smelly jockstrap you trained in for the last few months can be used as an effective weapon. I never tried it myself but I've made many people pass out by squeezing them unconscious, with their face somewhere near my armpit. That was when I worked in a bar, a long time ago. It's not something I do regularly.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)