Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Llama 3 is getting some noise. There's a small version people are running on small hardware.
about https://ai.meta.com/blog/meta-llama-3/
try https://www.meta.ai/

Mescal fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've been doing some basic tests and the 8B model is pretty decent, it does better in some programming and reasoning tasks than larger models like Mixtral 8x7b and Mistral Large. I think the suspicion that earlier models are over-parameterized is true. Microsoft has a 3.8B model coming out soon and they say it's good, who knows.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah Microsoft is claiming just yesterday they used some novel training methods akin to reading it children's books to get gpt 3.5 performance (which at one point had 170b params, according to the Internet, although I think the turbo model had half as much) out of 3.8b params which would be... Like almost 1/44 the size, which if true :golfclap: but I'm skeptical as that would mean ChatGPT on a raspberry pi

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yeah, Microsoft had a white paper last summer starting off their PHI series where they train it using only textbook quality data. One thing I do know is that for decades Microsoft or Bill Gates has been archiving all kinds of data and trying to find permanent ways to store it for the future, I would imagine that those efforts would give them access to those kinds of things.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Here's a reddit comment
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/1cop93r/paradox_makes_use_of_ai_generated_concept_art_and/

This sounds like an unambiguous good. Using AI to help creative brainstorm? Great idea, I do it all the time. the "I very much suck at" thing is--yeah! It's great to use AI to boost people who are less able. Less great to make it easier for comp...

Here's Zagreus, player character from popular game Hades, which came out before good AI.

1 leaf crown
3 dog heads
3 round skulls
a couple bracelets
1 reversible garment, pretty simple

Here comes the sequel. Melinoe from Hades II

-40 moons
-Other stuff

Take a look at the picture. I know it's subtle, but that looks AI-based. Those peculiarly meaningless details. These kinds of meaningless multiples are gonna be everywhere soon. Melinoe looks good, but the gods look like Anthony Keidis in that gross basketball picture. They didn't look like they had plastic surgery in the first game. It's because there are Instagram pictures in there even if you're prompting "Comic book." I don't want people who made great art before to start doing this. That "we're never gonna USE the brainstorming art..." is gonna be bullshit every time, probably.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Wait, are you saying Hades 2 art is AI? This is the dumbest thing I've read in awhile.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Do.

Do you think Paradox games made Hades 2.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
ORGANIC PIXELS

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Mescal posted:

extremely dumb garbage

wrong

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

One positive aspect of AI that I don't see getting much attention is: spoken word. I think it would be really great if, say, an AI assistant could read on screen text, or a book to someone with a disability. Or even an AI assistant helping the same person by describing the screen to them.

I know there are some voice to text things, but it would be nice to have something that doesn't sound like Microsoft Sam. Getting inflection and tone right...

I've done a little digging and there's a few models out there. I guess I've seen people using them to read twitch donations and such.

But there's no money to be made HELPING people.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I saw an obviously AI-generated picture of Jesus on my toast this morning.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Replies like :wrong: are pretty disingenuous

If you're gonna post single sentence rebuttals, why even post? Give us a paragraph, or falling that some kind of coherent rebuttal. This isn't reddit. You can be an rear end in a top hat here, but at the very least state your case

I mean, this is interesting

Can you present us with the presumptive collaborative argument for?

Clearly you thought you might be questioned on this, what is your response to nay sayers

What a lovely post

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Hadlock posted:

If you're gonna post single sentence rebuttals, why even post? Give us a paragraph, or falling that some kind of coherent rebuttal. This isn't reddit. You can be an rear end in a top hat here, but at the very least state your case

AI-garbage deserves equal effort in mocking that its advocates use in creating worthless garbage, which is none at all. Worthless ideas and dumb garbage don't need paragraphs upon paragraphs of text to debunk them, because we have limited time on earth, and it should be used to engage in stuff that has any worth. Just posting simple insults and low-effort jokes is all AI-bros deserve, because that is the exact amount of worth we should give to their ideas.

so to reiterate:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

SpiritOfLenin posted:

AI-garbage deserves equal effort in mocking that its advocates use in creating worthless garbage, which is none at all. Worthless ideas and dumb garbage don't need paragraphs upon paragraphs of text to debunk them, because we have limited time on earth, and it should be used to engage in stuff that has any worth. Just posting simple insults and low-effort jokes is all AI-bros deserve, because that is the exact amount of worth we should give to their ideas.

so to reiterate:

Oh ok

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe be ok with the free exchange of ideas, and don't attempt to silence those who you disagree with. That's a pretty lovely take but I'll shut up now. Cheers sir

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Monglo posted:

Wait, are you saying Hades 2 art is AI? This is the dumbest thing I've read in awhile.

the left hand (or right from the subjects perspective) is a real weird oversight, the anatomy doesn't make any sense

it's also generally a bit difficult to produce a character holding a weapon, and models will generally just have handheld objects float, or have strange grips at odd angles

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

B-b-b...

But that artwork was first released in December 9th 2022 in the release trailer, and would have been made WELL before the trailer was even made. All WELL before this AI artwork nonsenses. What are you trying to... Say?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

quote:

Timeline of all the MidJourney Versions (V1-V6)
MidJourney V2: Release date: April 12, 2022. ...
MidJourney V3: Release date: July 25, 2022. ...
MidJourney V4: Release date: November 5, 2022. ...
MidJourney V5.1: Release date: May 3, 2023. ...
MidJourney V6: Release date: December 21, 2023

I ain't saying it was made by a generative model, but that hand is bugging me and deffo should have been spotted and fixed before being released

OMFG FURRY fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 12, 2024

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OMFG FURRY posted:

I ain't saying it was made by a generative model, but that hand is bugging me and deffo should have been spotted and fixed before being released

Ok, fair enough.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Samovar posted:

Ok, fair enough.

Yeah, the moons may be subtle, but the hands aren't.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Clearly you thought you might be questioned on this, what is your response to nay sayers

I figured I'd get a couple insults then someone would notice the hands

Mescal fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 12, 2024

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Supergiant Hades 2 artist's insta

https://www.instagram.com/jenzee_art/

You people should up your meds.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Monglo posted:

Supergiant Hades 2 artist's insta

https://www.instagram.com/jenzee_art/

You people should up your meds.

I'm not gonna get in the weeds. I'm telling you that AI tends to make 40 moons and meaningless glyphs; humans tend to make three skulls and two bracelets. Be aware of the stylistic clues, be informed.

If that picture's not made with AI, I won't eat my hat, but it's not provable anyway. Listen to the points I'm making, look at the art again, then keep looking at other art closely. I think it looks like it was made with AI, but whether it was doesn't raise the stakes for the points I'm attempting. My point is these are characteristics to be aware of BEFORE getting all angry about art. And especially before getting angry at me. :D

Mescal fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 12, 2024

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

Pretty sure AI would struggle with the symmetrical detail of the belt and the hilt of the dagger. AI art tends to get "lost" when creating symmetrical patterns. It's one of the giveaways. Particularly when that symmetric symbol isn't front facing. The only things that look sorts AI to me are the butts of both weapons. They're squished nothings that don't quite make sense

Busters fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 12, 2024

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
AI generated images bug me a lot less than the human generated witch hunts do.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like using AI to fix the sloppy linework and wonky anatomy of my sketches before I refine them in Photoshop. I understand how that in and of itself would make some folks mad, but to me it's just one part of my larger process. It feels like getting mad at using the clone stamp or liquify tools. I totally get that it crosses the line of ethical boundaries because I'm pulling from the inks of comic book artists from the 1940s that I stole from high-resolution Heritage Auction scans. And I'm okay with that, because I make art for fun, and using these tools makes making art more fun because I can get closer to the vision in my head faster and with fewer frustrations. Fewer frustrations means less giving up, less giving up means making more art and getting better at the fundamentals along the way. And I really don't see how someone could take issue with that. Especially because it's for non-commercial works that barely anyone will ever see.

Of course it's totally valid to be worried about the future (and present) of commercial art and the exploitation of commercial artists, and it definitely wouldn't surprise me to learn that many commercial artists are using these tools in similar ways today. But I would be shocked if most commercial artists weren't already using at least Photoshop's Generative Fill, and probably quite a bit more at different points in their processes.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 12, 2024

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
The day AI becomes capable of producing the same amount of hate and vitriol as humans do is the day I start running for the hills.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mescal posted:

Yeah, the moons may be subtle, but the hands aren't.

I was accepting the critique of the hand design. I do NOT hold that it was made by AI in the slightest.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

look at these:

https://www.bing.com/images/create/...DP&mode=overlay

These are fun to make!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Samovar posted:

I was accepting the critique of the hand design. I do NOT hold that it was made by AI in the slightest.

Understood

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ComradePyro posted:

AI generated images bug me a lot less than the human generated witch hunts do.

Motherfuckers act like they forgot about Tay

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Tay was pure until she met humans

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
I'm onto this game artist trying to sneak in unethically sourced non-vegan jpegs and pass them off as organic.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

not enough moons and the hands seem fine, are you trying to sneak in human generated images in the AI thread my friend?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What is your point...?

Also, in the earlier example you gave, that one shot of Zagreus is an in-game portrait, and is relatively simplified. That pic of Melinoë is are for the release of the game, and is so more complex.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If this person plays the game they're gonna lose their loving mind because that moon shaped symbol is in every room 20 times, as it is part of what is called a motif

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

btw I still can't see whats so wrong with the hand

Is it the fingers touching? Is this some weird pointy elbow equivalent of ai bros?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mikojan posted:

Is it the fingers touching? Is this some weird pointy elbow equivalent of ai bros?

I think it's the fact that the fingers close together are effectively 'merged', i.e. there's no dividing line between the two of them. I can understand it looking a bit off.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Mikojan posted:

try to make your middle and ring finger cross over each other while your index and pinky are spread out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

OMFG FURRY posted:

try to make your middle and ring finger cross over each other while your index and pinky are spread out

I... Can do that, and pretty easily at that?