Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I know injury time is a thing, I just don't think it's an appropriate metaphor. A penalty shootout would have been more accurate with regards to a final showdown where the winner takes all.

Anyway, credits are on the way as soon as my crappy Turkish holiday internet gets up to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Credits and Post-Credits Scene:

Now that the game is finished it’s time to meet the people who made it.

Music: Credits Theme

Shigemitsu Takamiya was both the Senior Director and Senior Producer for Fist of Mars. He appears to be a Winky-Soft veteran who is now the head of the entire company. Notably he was one of the programmers for the very first Super Robot Wars game for the original Game Boy way back in 1991. His full portfolio can be found here.

Atsushi Kamata is listed as a director but he is also credited with drawing some of the backgrounds. Those were the days when development teams were still relatively small and people could have multiple roles. From what I can gather Zone of the Enders: Fist of Mars appears to have been Kamata’s first game. He went on to work on a 2003 Transformers game and the 2004 Yu-Gi-Oh Capsule Monsters Coliseum, both for the PS2.

Naoya Inui also went on to work on the Transformers and Yu-Gi-Oh game. It seems like all of them were done by the same core team. Interestingly he appears to have left Winky Soft at some point and signed on with Nintendo to work on Super Paper Mario as an Assistant Director.

Atsushi Kamata has already come up.

Kayo Buma designed the maps and also worked on the event graphics. He also worked on Capsule Monsters and Transformers, after which he helped to design the Battlefield CG models for the PS2 title ‘Shaman King: Power of Spirit’.

Kenichirou Matsumoto is another core team member. As well as the other games he also worked on the SNES title ‘Chō Jikū Yōsai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie’, a side-scrolling shooter based on Macross.

Konami clearly need no introduction.

Akira Tanizaki appears to not have worked on any games since this one. He previously designed the title logo for an obscure Mahjong game on the TurboGrafx CD, but aside from that I can’t find out anything else about him.

Kazuyoshi Horikawa went on to be one of the planners behind Rondo of Swords. He probably cackles at the thought of making people suffer.

Masahiro Sho is another core team member who worked on a lot of the same games Takamiya did.

Yasuaki Mori and Kunihiro Takedomi are also core team members. Ryouhei Inaoka was only involved with the programming and doesn’t have any other games to his name, which makes me suspect that he might have been a freelance programmer of some description.

Similarly I can’t find anything else on Kouji Kurosumi.

Both Yoji Shinkawa and Toshio Noguchi are Konami heavy-hitters. Shinkawa is a Metal Gear Solid veteran who has worked on every single game since MGS and has also had a hand in the rest of the ZOE series. Noguchi is less prolific but he still worked on the other ZOE entries and his most recent contribution to the industry was as a character designer for Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Katsuzou Hirata is another unknown who only worked on Fist of Mars. We’ve already met Kouji Kurosumi. Shimoyama is a core team member.

Nishimura is another Konami supervisor who worked on a ton of games related to the Metal Gear and ZOE franchises.

Kayoko Miyashita doesn’t appear to have worked on any other games or done anything notable since Fist of Mars.

Lots of names here. Yoshiharu Buma is a core team member, as is Noriyuki Iwamoto. Masaki Kondou worked on Mega Man 4, and Hideomi Sasaki only worked on Fist of Mars. We’re already familiar with Kouji Kurosumi and Kayo Buma.

Atsuki Toda is another core team member.

We’ve already come across most of these guys. Masato Nakamura is a core team member but he also worked on Virtua Fighter 4 and was part of the audio team for Final Fantasy VIII. Shuujirou Nakade is another member who only worked on Fist of Mars.

Hiroyuki Fukuda is interesting because unlike most of the others he had been very active in the past five years or so. He’s been involved with Resident Evil 5 and 6 as well as Lost Planet 2.

Tatsuya Fujiwara worked on a number of other games after Fist of Mars. Like Kazuyoshi Horikawa he also went on to work on Rondo of Swords. Susumu Nakamura worked on less games but his portfolio includes the original Tales of Phantasia and Namco X Capcom.

Scott Dolph has done a ludicrous number of things, mostly relating to localization / translation issues but also some audio stuff for an incredible number of Konami titles. He’s been involved with pretty much every Metal Gear Solid game and all of the ZOE series to boot. His full portfolio is [url= http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,51519/]here[/url].

INTAC are a localization company who have brought a fair number of games to Western shores, including Lunar Knights, Lollipop Chainsaw and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. I haven’t been able to find much on Violet Media, I assume they fulfil the same function in mainland Europe.

Takashi Kinbara was also behind the manual design of pretty much every Beatmania game ever.

Ichiro Kutome is another Konami veteran with an awful lot of Metal Gear Solid experience under his belt.

Masahiko Iwasaki is yet another longstanding Winky Soft employee. Momoko Suzuki has done a ton of QA work on Super Robot Wars, Dynasty Warriors, the Ar Tonelico series and Beatmania. Yoshiko Hotada is another freelance debugger from what I can tell, and RMC are an outsource testing group I’ve been able to find very little about. Ditto Dreams.

For the Special Thanks we have Sunrise, the animation studio behind the ZOE anime, and a few Konami staff members who said nice things about the game as it was in development.

And finally, we have the companies as a whole. That wraps up the credits. But aren’t we forgetting someone? Someone pretty important, without whom this game probably wouldn’t have been made?

Yeah, we are. Hideo Kojima, the man behind the entire Zone of the Enders franchise, doesn’t get a single mention in the credits. It seems like he had absolutely nothing to do with this game, not even as a creative consultant. The most likely explanation is that he was working on Metal Gear Solid 2 at the time and a Game Boy Advance project was not a priority, but it’s still a little odd that he isn’t mentioned at all, even in passing.

Still, the staff who made this game are pretty interesting people. Thanks, guys, for making a game I enjoyed playing.

*Beep*

Well now. That last scene certainly was interesting. And a little confusing if you don’t know the proper context! Some of it will make sense if you’ve played the first game, like ‘Leo’ obviously referring to the protagonist and the original pilot of Jehuty.

The most important thing to note about all of this is exactly who Amante is talking to. She refers to him as ‘Ridley’ at the end, someone she’s already mentioned once or twice in the main story route. Ridley, aka Ridley Hardimann, is the son of Rikoah Hardiman, the man who pioneered OF technology. That’s an important name to bear, but Ridley has another, even more important name that doesn’t come up in Fist of Mars.

Nohman.

That’s right; Amante is talking to the overall villain of the entire series. The thing is, as far as I can recall we don’t actually find out that Nohman’s original name was Ridley until the second game, which makes Amante’s conversation much clearer in retrospect. This scene ties the game into Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner and goes a long way towards establishing exactly where Fist of Mars stands in relation to the series as a whole.

In the short term the winners of Fist of Mars are BIS, but when looked at as a whole the man who came out best from the whole thing was none other than Nohman. A whole host of powerful figures who could have posed a threat to him like Zephyrs, Jaeger, Jimmer and Bolozof are dead. Thanks to BIS and Ares the UNSF armed forces have been gutted, rioting has destabilised most of Hellespontos and the Martian government is still reeling from the blows inflicted upon it by Jimmer and Zephyrs. And that’s not all; Zephyrs’ demonstrated ability to create Orbital Frames by himself is clear evidence that Earth can play the same game BAHRAM can. By sending Amante to help expose Zephyrs’s research Nohman simultaneously put the fear of God into the other BAHRAM higher-ups by demonstrating that they were about to lose their technological advantage.

In other words, Nohman has successfully manufactured a scenario wherein BAHRAM has no choice but to escalate the terrorism into all-out war, all while ensuring his enemies are as weak as possible in order to generate the maximum amount of carnage. Who could stop him at this point? BIS? They’ve pretty much disbanded. They have other responsibilities now. Cage and Myona are no longer with them and they’ve lost their most effective weapon in Testament. They aren’t a threat, which is why Nohman tells Amante not to bother murdering them.

Fist of Mars is full of people manipulating other people, with pretty much everyone intent on screwing someone over via convoluted plans. But in the end, the only one who accomplished everything he set out to do was Nohman, and he did it while barely lifting a finger.

Tl;dr – BIS did all of Nohman’s work for him and Mars is now ripe for the chaos which engulfs it in Second Runner.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Very nice LP.

Thanks for the intro. I have heard of the ZoE games many times, but never having an appropriate console, never got to play them. Thanks to your fine, primate-driven productivity, I now know what the buzz was about.

Cheers!

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Really enjoyed your commentary on the bigger intricacies of the conspiracies and motivations of the characters. I don't know anything about Zone of the Enders so it's enlightening.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Great LP, Scintilla, I kinda came in late, but it was great to see someone do such a terrific job on what was pretty much my introduction to mecha as a whole. I guess I'll go play ZOE HD now since God knows we're never getting another one. :negative:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We probably will when Konami decides to get another studio to finish it for them! Maybe we'll get Zone of the Enders 3: Revengeance!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Actually, one thing I'm wondering about. You say that Mars is engulfed in chaos in the 2nd main Zone of the Enders game? If that's the case, do any of the former BIS members show up? Or would they not have the mechs they need in that scenario? Otherwise I don't imagine they'd happily standby and let Mars be razed.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 16, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
As far as we see, no, nobody from BIS shows up. It's possible that they're running guerrilla operations against BAHRAM somewhere, but from Amante's conversation it doesn't look like Nohman considers any of them to be a threat anymore.

Also, whilst I appreciate the kind words from everyone, we're not quite done here yet - I'll be uploading the character files shortly.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Character Files:

Before this LP ends we’ve just time to look at the character files. These unlock sequentially as you play through the game and whilst most are alright some contain spoilers, which is why I’m only posting them now at the very end. Enjoy…

--

Cage Midwell
Male
17 years old
Blood type O

A kindhearted, gentle youth. Began working on bord the Bonapart III along with Ares, whom he met a year earlier. Born 17 years ago to an unknown mother on the cargo deck of the Midwell, which was smuggling illegal immigrants, Cage was raised on the ship by the Captain, who took the boy under his wing. Though he was treated well by fellow Midwell staff, Cage always harbored a feeling of loneliness and isolation in hiss heart which translated into low self-esteem and overly passive behavior. When the Captain died and Midwell was deemed unfit for flight, Cage boarded Bonapart III, where he met Ares. His new friendship with this boy, who was the same age as him and yet seemed so mature, had a profound effect on Cage, and helped him recover from his psychological wounds. However, the knowledge that he owes his rebirth to Ares has proven problematic in itself, as Cage depends on Ares entirely, and suspects that he will never be able to exist independently of him.

Ares Enduwa
Male
17 years old
Blood type AB

A co-worker of Cage aboard the Bonaparte III, a colonist spacecraft linking Earth and Mars. Having already worked on Bonaparte III for 4 months when Cage first boarded a year earlier, Ares showed Cage the ropes. Something of a genius, the normally taciturn Ares met Cage late one night after work, when he was playing a "piano" that he had conjured by altering a program on a PC in the ship's lobby. Cage happened upon his impromptu concert and was so moved that he began talking to him. At first, Ares was irked by the intrusion, but he eventually gave in to Cage's perseverance and found himself, much to his own surprise, becoming Cage's friend and looking after him. Fellow Bonaparte staff dubbed the unlikely pair "The Eighth Wonder of the Bonaparte."

Myona Alderan
Female
17 years old
Blood type A

A mysterious girl found hiding in a storage room on board the Bonaparte III. Since the accident involving the unidentified object, she sticks with Cage and his group. Having suffered retrograde amnesia since the incident, what little personal information that is known of Myona has been pieced together based on occasional hints about her past. Though she sometimes hints at a determined and headstrong personality hidden deep inside, she is shy and rarely acts aggressively. Serious yet somehow flighty, she also seems slightly imbalanced, which may have something to do with her loss of memory....

Pharsti
(Artificial Intelligence)

The "Navigation Program" installed in the vehicle boarded by Cage and Myona immediately following the Bonaparte III's collision with the unidentified object. In these days, when voice-activated OSs are a dime a dozen, he (she?) is special, incorporating highly advanced technology not found in other programs found on LEVs. What secrets could possibly lie hidden in its creation?

Semyl Shambrow
Female
16 years old
Blood type O

A robust girl who, for some reason, speaks in street slang. Constantly aware of the fact that she is short. Has a love-hate relationship with Razma. Although she grew up in an orphanage, she displays the healthy outgoingness of someone who had a very happy childhood. In reality, her childhood was difficult, having been subject to Ender prejudice by humans from Earth. Joined the Resistance early to regain respect for herself, and also to help ensure a happier future for her "siblings" at the institution. Lost a friend recently to some trouble associated with a romantic relationship with an Earthling human. A responsible big sister at the orphanage, underneath it all, she's just a sensitive 16-year-old.

Mebius K. Lylekraft
Female
26 years old
Blood type B

A mature lady whose soft, kind demeanour belies her skilled, sharp strategic abilities. Mebius moved to Mars with her husband, who died in an accident while on his way to buy a toy for the couple's unborn baby; she then lost her baby (who was to be named Tia) due to a miscarriage. It was then that Mebius, despondent over the loss of her loved once and waiting for death's embrace, met Deckson, who was conducting research into the very accident which killed her husband, in an attempt to prove that an Earthling General was responsible for the tragedy. Hurt and angry, she joined BIS, where she works alongside Deckson. It seems that Mebius has deeper feelings for Deckson than just trust, but she either does not realize this, or she is in denial as they work together and as she remains loyal to her dead husband.

Razma Cascade Jr.
Male
19 years old
Blood type A

The skirt-chasing troublemaker of BIS, he is surprisingly reliable where it counts. Somewhat childish, but also remarkably perceptive sometimes. A gifted sharpshooter with excellent hearing and eyesight. Seems to have a thing for Semyl, but nothing has materialized as of yet. His only family is his sick mother, who tells him that his father was a "high-profile Earthling"; however, they have never spoken with one another. Obsessed with the idea of the father he never met, he may have found a paternal figure in Deckson...

Tadamichi E. Yukito
Male
24 years old
Blood type AB

Ardent fan of and expert in old-school, sci-fi, low-budget movie stars, and 20th-21st century Japanimation. Deeply involved in his own world, he is fiercely individual and mature in his self-assurance.
Raised in a very proper, traditional family consisting of his father and his siblings, he ignored his family's wishes for him to join the corporate pack, stating, "Suits don't become me," and left home. The rest is history.

Warren Lumenlux
Male
33 years old
Blood type A

Prudent and overly cautious, he is often the butt of jokes; regardless, he is trusted for his knowledge and experience. A former mercenary, he always wears black sunglasses and does not speak much, giving him the aura of the "consummate professional." Once an expert gunman, he gave up his profession after an accident in which he mistakenly shot a young female hostage. Following the event, he wandered from place to place, eventually ending up in BIS on Mars. Has romantic feelings for a certain BIS member, but, not being very suave, has not yet succeeded in winning her over.

Philbright
Male
17 years old
Blood type AB

Full name "Philbright Westriverside Warehouserock XXVI." Excels in household chores such as cooking, cleaning, and laundry. Easily frazzled. Because of his long, beribboned blond hair and his high-pitched voice, he is often mistaken for a girl. Phil owes his long name to his "father," who believed an old superstition that luck comes to people with long names. He grew up in a happy family among many unrelated siblings, but tragedy struck one day when his "father" sampled a medication which induced a sudden fit of insane violence. Confused and horrified, Phil was able to defend himself from the savage attack, but when he came back to his senses, his entire family, including his father, was dead. The manufacturer of the medicine attempted to cover up the incident and lay the blame on Phil, at which time Deckson rescued the unfortunate youth and took him under his wing. Now a BIS member support officer, he has a crush on Myona...

Deckson Geyse
Male
42 years old
Blood type O

Founder and father figure of BIS. Believing that he merely lent a hand to the Mars Resistance movement, he does not realize the full extent of his influence in Martian politics, although he would gladly give his life to support the cause. A family man, he used to be an officer in the UNSF, where he enjoyed moderate success, but was divorced by his wife due to long work hours. Having lost his main motivation in life and besieged with guilt over his participation in the oppression of the Enders, he left the UNSF and began to research the strange goings-on brought on by Earthlings, earning him both friends and foes along the way. His support base continued to grow, and eventually formed BIS.

Robin O'Connell
Female
33 years old
Blood type O

BIS's main sponsor. Roughly 90% of BIS capital comes from the Robin Foundation, an underground group run by Robin herself. Boasting a wide network of connections and tremendous resources, the group does whatever it can to assist BIS, from procuring power source units and other parts for army machine prototypes to finding maintenance experts and catching fugitives. A beautiful but tough businesswoman-type, she is nurturing and motherly toward BIS members.

Twede Grey
Male
30s
Blood type unknown

Robin's secretary. Cloaked head-to toe in black with dark glasses and black gloves, he rarely speaks and almost never reveals any of his emotions. Keen and observant, he is almost psychic in his understanding of people; he is precise and swift in his work, often getting the job done before others even think of asking him to take care of it.

Lance Jimmer
Male
20s
Blood type unknown

Man of mystery. Has razor-thin slits for eyes, and is somewhat reptilian. Although he gives the impression that he is always smiling, his eyes are eerily expressionless. In fact, his face is like a creepy mask. Nobody really knows of his origins nor his motivations,
but it is clear that he does not champion the Martians' cause.

Dezeele Zephyrs
Male
49 years old
Blood type B

High-ranking officer from Earth. Has a tendency to look down on others, but will not tolerate others doing the same to him. Convinced that he is better than anyone, he is self-centered and feels no guilt for all the suffering he has caused in his career. Born to a poverty-stricken household as the youngest child, he harbours a resentment toward all people who are rewarded with money and opportunity despite a profound lack of talent. This resentment caused him to turn his
talents toward getting ahead at all costs. After gaining success as a scientist, he quickly moved up the hierarchy to his current position as Lab Supervisor. While he is disliked, nobody dares cross him because he is as influential as he is unpleasant.

Ned Noachim
Male
27 years old
Blood type O

Zephyr's assistant. Completely lacks any sort of leadership skills, but thanks to Zephyrs, has achieved a degree of status in the army. Views Martians as subhuman and repeatedly commits racist crimes against them. Also prejudiced against women, who find him loathsome. He attributes his complex to past experience without realizing that it's no excuse to be a pig. Used to be called "Scarface."

Bolozof Velasgo
Male
29 years old
Blood type A

Silver-haired and lithe, with glittering eyes that hint at a soul full of malice. Cold and robotic, he escaped to Mars to avoid trouble he spawned when he permanently injured some colleagues in training. Views Martians as nothing more than slaves to be bent to his will. He follows the orders of Zephyrs, but...

Nadia Candido
Female
19 years old
Blood type A

One of Bolozof's assistants, as well as his mistress. The fact that the Martian-hating Bolozof keeps her at his side leads her to believe mistakenly that Bolozof recognizes her talent and loves her. A hard-working and earnest military employee.

Amante Furlair
Female
16 years old
Blood type unknown

Like Nadia, an assistant of Bolozof. Under her youthful and innocent appearance lurks the heart of a cruel, vicious demon. The wicked look in her eyes betrays something of her true nature. Numerous men have approached her, judging her wrongly by her harmless looks, only to find themselves used and dumped in the end. Looks to be about 16, but her actual age is unknown.

Tim Frazer
Male
38 years old
Blood type A

Mars Army officer. Looks older than his years due to endless problems with the Resistance, which may have something to do with his being forever single. No star qualities, but a nice guy nonetheless. Has caught the BIS leader Deckson on a number of occasions, but has never been able to keep him. Has one half-brother.

Cubick Noyce
Female
29 years old
Blood type B

The eldest of the "Mars Angels," she zips around space in her custom-built LEV in pursuit of eligible bachelors. She is naturally beautiful, but her looks are also a product of unthinkable effort and an arsenal of makeup. Complains a lot. Not too fond of Palme, and calls her "Ms. Plame." Height: 5'9". Weight: secret. 38-25-33. Favorite stone: champagne-colored fancy diamond. Dislikes: sweat.
(Source: Mars Angels Fan Club Newsletter)

Palme Winston
Female
24 years old
Blood type AB

Introverted middle "sister" of the Mars Angels. (The Mars Angels are not related by blood.) Good-looking, but can't seem to land a boyfriend due to personality issues. Well-trained in hexes and divination, she remembers every person who has done her wrong, what they did, and when. Mysterious, but with a unique charm about her. Height: 5'6". Weight: ?? 36-27-38 Ideal Man: Aleister Crowley. Dislikes: direct sunlight. (Source: Mars Angels Fan Club Newsletter)

Digit Carlyle
Female
19 years old
Blood type O

The youngest of the Mars Angels. High-pitched voice, loudmouthed, talkative. Idolizes Cubick. Not afraid to speak her mind, even mouths off to Palme. Height: 5'4". Weight: not telling! 34-25-30. Likes: anything you can eat with your hands. Dislikes: being hungry. (Source: Mars Angels Fan Club Newsletter)

Ryan Stewart
Male
65 years old
Blood type AB

CEO of the Ryan Corporation, which comes (a distant) second after NUT. Gives off a personable first impression, but has no qualms about committing heinous acts against his enemies.

Takahiro E. Yukito
Male
53 years old
Blood type B

Father of Yukito and CEO of the Tide Company, a holding company with many subsidiaries. Wears glasses.

Johnny Irving
Male
43 years old
Blood type O

High-ranking officer in the Mars Army. He is a pushover who was bullied into cooperating by Zephyrs. Emotionally weak, scrawny, and always has a look of consternation on his face. He and Zephyrs call each other by name, but there doesn't seem to be a real friendship between them

Patrick Jaeger
Male
55 years old
Blood type A

High-ranking officer from Earth. Lets nothing escape unnoticed. He has escaped death on numerous occasions, and seems kind but is actually not as soft as he looks. His age is starting to show.

Jordy Jones
Female
11 years old
Blood type O

Nickname "Jojo." A simple and innocent young girl from the same orphanage that Semyl grew up in. In stark contrast to her dark past, she is outgoing and free of issues. Wants to marry Cage when she grows up.

Gilbert Kelly
Male
12 years old
Blood type B

Playful yet shy boy from the same orphanage that Semyl grew up in. Going through an awkward almost-teenager stage, he has a little crush on Semyl and dislikes all males that make passes at her.

Pauly McLaud
Male
10 years old
Blood type A

Well-behaved child from the same orphanage that Semyl grew up in. Polite and religious, he is always carrying a crucifix.

Raiah
Male
38 years old
Blood type unknown

The self-styled "#1 Broker on Mars." Rumor has it he moved to Mars due to some trouble at home. Overly sensitive about the topic of his blond-haired, well-built, family man father for some reason.

Lewy
Male
31 years old
Blood type B

A.k.a. "Logistics Lewy." Surprisingly well-known as a mover and shaker, he specialized in petty crime, even trying to score some cash off of Cage on one occasion. Perished with the rest of the staff and passengers on board Bonaparte III. Oh well.

--

And that's a wrap.

I hope everyone enjoyed this LP of the lesser-known Zone of the Enders spinoff. Despite a few hiccups here and there and the looming presence of the dreaded 'anime' label, I think the game's story does pretty well for itself. The difficulty is pretty much nonexistent once you get to grips with the IBS system but I can respect the fact that Winky Soft tried to make the battle sequences more interactive if nothing else.

As for me, I'm probably going to take a long break after this. This LP was far, far more work than I ever expected it to be, and worse still most of that work was horribly monotonous transcription that very nearly burned me out. After that I have a few ideas kicking around, but one project I know I'll be getting around to eventually is Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. I managed to finish the game on an emulator so I know it can be done. That's probably in the distant future, though.

Or maybe I'll do something even more insane and have a go at Phoenix Wright. That might kill me, though. :v:

Anyway, thanks for reading along.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Just so people know, the whole "Blood Type" thing is basically the equivalent of the way we'll say "hey, you're a Libra!" or "you're a Capricorn!" in the U.S. and other cultures, except, it's way more popular, to the point where, according to Wikipedia, Japan has dating services based on blood type and the like (despite the whole idea being heavily criticized by the Psychology community of Japan). For the run down on what each blood type means, I will quote Wikipedia here...

code:
Blood Type A
-----------------
Best traits:	Earnest, creative, sensible, reserved, patient, responsible

Worst traits:	Fastidious, overearnest, stubborn, tense
code:
Blood Type B
-----------------
Best traits:	Wild, active, doer, creative, passionate, strong

Worst traits:	Selfish, irresponsible, unforgiving, erratic
code:
Blood Type AB
-----------------
Best traits:	Cool, controlled, rational, sociable, adaptable

Worst traits:	Critical, indecisive, forgetful, irresponsible, "split personality" (Heh heh, for reference, this was Cloud's 
blood type in FFVII)
code:
Blood Type O
-----------------
Best traits:	Confident, self-determined, optimistic, strong-willed, intuitive

Worst traits:	Self-centered, cold, doubtful, unpredictable, "workaholic"

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Man, Semyl and Phil are about three years older than I thought they were. Also, holy crap Phil's backstory... Although in a setting with Metatron, do they also need literal crazy pills?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Thanks for all your hard work Scintilla. This was a great endeavor all the way through and I discovered a ton despite playing the game a bunch myself. I always had a real soft spot for it and especially the story despite it being thoroughly "OK", so hopefully other readers enjoyed it as well.

Your break is well-deserved, you've been going nonstop at this ever since BoF1/2. I honestly can't imagine going through Dragon Quarter of all things so soon either, so good luck with that and any future projects!

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

HGH posted:

I always had a real soft spot for it and especially the story despite it being thoroughly "OK", so hopefully other readers enjoyed it as well.

Indeed. The story really is what makes this game good, in spite of all the other things wrong with it (not many characters or mechs to use, obscenely long enemy phases compared to Fire Emblem, no triangle attack or any other similar mechanic like Fire Emblem had, no buyable items, unskippable cutscenes, etc...)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, what a downer of a post-credits ending. I suppose it's well in keeping with the tone of the series, but seriously, ow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Fionordequester posted:

Indeed. The story really is what makes this game good, in spite of all the other things wrong with it (not many characters or mechs to use, obscenely long enemy phases compared to Fire Emblem, no triangle attack or any other similar mechanic like Fire Emblem had, no buyable items, unskippable cutscenes, etc...)

Honestly it's weird to compare it to Fire Emblem when it's a cut-rate Super Robot Wars (and even made by the old devs of SRW).

The weirdest thing overall is the weird importance of the Mars Angels, since literally they showed up for one scene and despite that entirely determined what route you took.

Also, Philbright's bio is pretty weird, since it implies BIS should know about him killing his father. Though the bio also stresses that the dude wasn't Philbright's actual dad, since it keeps going "father" in quotation marks and notes that his siblings are all unrelated. What a weird family.

• Locked thread