Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Jason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I've encountered a Lolita Holiday.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Temper Walsh

name of my barber. it sounds neat to me

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

I'm not sure whether the arabic name amon and the similar name of the egyptian god have a shared etymology or if one is descended from the other, and it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case, but what would surprise me would be if the genesis of the semitic name ammon was that some fringe section of arab society just decided to rip the name out of egyptian literature thousands of years after they ceased to have any relevance to their own culture

Arabs appropriated Egypt wholesale... but not the names!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Maoist Pussy posted:

Arabs appropriated Egypt wholesale... but not the names!

I think Tactical's point was that there was a gap of nearly 1000 years between the time worship of Amun died out and the time that the Arabs conquered Egypt so that kind of direct appropriation of ancient names isn't terribly likely, considering the Arabs probably had little to no knowledge of ancient Egyptian religion at that time.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
A friend of mine recently met a little boy named Edgrr. Poor kid. grrrrr

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Big City Drinkin posted:

I feel bad for kids who only have the diminutive version of a name. I know a Freddy whose actual name isn't Fred or Fredrick.

My name is Danny. Not short for Daniel or Danielle. Just Danny and my last name. Says so on my driver's license. I have received more mail calling me Daniel than by my actual name.

I once knew a girl whose name was Becca. Not short for Rebecca. Yes I was born in the late 80s, how did you know?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Dely Apple posted:

Gonna just name my kid Celexa or Mobic or whatever else I randomly flip to in the Merck Manual here.

hmmmm good idea think i'll name my daughter opana

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
If you're naming your kids after medicine at least have it be a good name like Brotapp

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Too lazy to quote but Conrad is a dope name.
Con. RAD.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Herklayin Powfitzugh Jones

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Twiggy 2Ziggy

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

you were warned posted:

A friend of mine recently met a little boy named Edgrr. Poor kid. grrrrr

Someday that boy will have a lucrative business selling lawn equipment.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
I did temp filing for a preschool last fall and came across MAXIMUS TYRELL CUMBERBATCH, age 3.

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

People are naming their kids some Game of Thrones character-mentioned-in-passing poo poo like 'Brandar' which is close enough to a real name to be infuriating but it sure as shootin' isn't a real name and those people belong at the bottom of a loving river.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Junkiebev posted:

People are naming their kids some Game of Thrones character-mentioned-in-passing poo poo like 'Brandar' which is close enough to a real name to be infuriating but it sure as shootin' isn't a real name and those people belong at the bottom of a loving river.

:agreed:

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

Bedelia
Wellington

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Hopper posted:

Serious question. What are the most popular names in the U.S. right now?
IIRC Germany had Ben (just this, not as an abbreviation) for boys last year and Emma for girls.

I don't know about last year, but Noah and Emma were hot in 2014.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/top5names.html

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

I think Tactical's point was that there was a gap of nearly 1000 years between the time worship of Amun died out and the time that the Arabs conquered Egypt so that kind of direct appropriation of ancient names isn't terribly likely, considering the Arabs probably had little to no knowledge of ancient Egyptian religion at that time.

And my point is that absolving someone of appropriating names is a bit specious compared to annihilating their whole drat culture. I want to travel to Real Egypt and see hot Egyptian chicks with Cleopatra wigs and their titties out.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

Too lazy to quote but Conrad is a dope name.
Con. RAD.

I'm thinking you meant me. My grandpa was Conrad Augustus [last name] the sixth, and I was named for him. I'm not sure if that makes me Conrad Augustus VII or not since it skipped a generation, but I got so much poo poo as a kid. Being called Conbad and Disguistus in the 2nd grade is devastating.

Still better than my poor baby cousin. Tanin.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
driplad
poof

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy
Paizlee and Karlee are two kids I know of

My sister named her daughter Harley Quinn

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
I once met a redhead named Ariel who was born a couple years after Disney's Little Mermaid came out. I'm sure her parents thought they were being terribly clever. At least that's an actual name.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Dely Apple posted:

Gonna just name my kid Celexa or Mobic or whatever else I randomly flip to in the Merck Manual here.

"Hi, I'm Hydroclorothyazide. You can call me clo or hctz if you want."

5/5 - good child abuse right there.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the worst is when middle class people take a perfectly good name and change it slightly because heaven forbid their kid might pick up a terrible working class nickname (:britain:) i knew a jothan at school

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
MAstercard

Jeep Grand CHerokee

Denver Broncos

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

People ought to be more creative in naming their kids. "Leia" and "Anakin" are dorky doofus names and the kids will be forever scarred by all the easily-preventable bullying in their elementary school years, but even more egregious is the lack of inspiration and creativity. Every goddamned nerd names their kid after Star Wars characters.

In middle school I knew a girl named "Asteracea." She told me she was named after the favorite flower of her grandmother (daisies belong to the family "asteraceae"). So that's kind of sweet I guess.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Maoist Pussy posted:

And my point is that absolving someone of appropriating names is a bit specious compared to annihilating their whole drat culture.

You seem to be missing the point that it wasn't the Arabs who annihilated that culture. It had already been annihiliated well before they got there. What the Arabs conquered was a province of the Byzantine Empire that had previously been conquered by Persians, before that Romans and a bunch of others. Not Amun-worshipping Ancient Egyptians. Those guys were long gone.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 7, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kallev posted:

I'm thinking you meant me. My grandpa was Conrad Augustus [last name] the sixth, and I was named for him. I'm not sure if that makes me Conrad Augustus VII or not since it skipped a generation, but I got so much poo poo as a kid. Being called Conbad and Disguistus in the 2nd grade is devastating.

Still better than my poor baby cousin. Tanin.

Imagine being a guy named Quinn when a certain Jane Seymour show was in its heyday :negative:

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Inzombiac posted:

Imagine being a guy named Quinn when a certain Jane Seymour show was in its heyday :negative:

Or Aidan Quinn, now.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

You seem to be missing the point that it wasn't the Arabs who annihilated that culture. It had already been annihiliated well before they got there. What the Arabs conquered was a province of the Byzantine Empire that had previously been conquered by Persians, before that Romans and a bunch of others. Not Amun-worshipping Ancient Egyptians. Those guys were long gone.

The sexy, skin-showing pagan Egyptian culture syncretized fine with the other sexy, skin-showing Mediterranean pagan cultures. The foreign devil that must be driven back into the Empty Quarter is the beardy, unsexy monotheistic culture currently camped out in the Nile Valley.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Matt

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Maoist Pussy posted:

The sexy, skin-showing pagan Egyptian culture syncretized fine with the other sexy, skin-showing Mediterranean pagan cultures. The foreign devil that must be driven back into the Empty Quarter is the beardy, unsexy monotheistic culture currently camped out in the Nile Valley.

the Byzantines were pretty drat beardy and monotheistic. I dunno if you find them sexy I guess thats subjective. I dont

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The trick is to name the man, not the boy. Some of these cutesy nouveau names aren't so bad for bragging about your kindergartener, but for an adult, holy moly.

Come to think of it, people naming their kids goofy poo poo probably only want a baby, a toddler, a small child. They don't think about the long term.

And actually, I've been a legal adult for 13 years now and I never met anyone with kids that didn't say "Don't have kids."

Goofy poo poo

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

the Byzantines were pretty drat beardy and monotheistic. I dunno if you find them sexy I guess thats subjective. I dont

Pre-Christian Byzantines, ie proper Romans. Also, Theodora. Mainly, the cut-off line is beards with long hair and generally looking like a Lynyrd Skynyrd album cover.

Pointy hats are also a disqualifier.

Maoist Pussy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 7, 2016

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

ProperCoochie posted:

The trick is to name the man, not the boy. Some of these cutesy nouveau names aren't so bad for bragging about your kindergartener, but for an adult, holy moly.

This is pretty much what happened to a co-worker of mine with four month old twins. Jonathan, ok, Jaxon, not ok. Just name him Jackson. That's fine. The whole workplace worked for weeks to convince her Jackson with the X was terrible and boom, baby Jackson.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord

you were warned posted:

I once met a redhead named Ariel who was born a couple years after Disney's Little Mermaid came out. I'm sure her parents thought they were being terribly clever. At least that's an actual name.

i dated a red head named Mariel. pretty name, prettier girl.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Dejan Bimble posted:

If your child is a brand with an unpronounceable name then youve announced they were born atomized and dont belong to a family, community, a race, etc. There's a reason that things were better when everyone had one of four names .

If you name your child Jayleiagh don't expect me to avoid striking them with lightning when I'm playing with my weather control devices

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

This is pretty much what happened to a co-worker of mine with four month old twins. Jonathan, ok, Jaxon, not ok. Just name him Jackson. That's fine. The whole workplace worked for weeks to convince her Jackson with the X was terrible and boom, baby Jackson.

What's it like being a staff writer on Mary Worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SciFiDownBeat posted:

In middle school I knew a girl named "Asteracea." She told me she was named after the favorite flower of her grandmother (daisies belong to the family "asteraceae"). So that's kind of sweet I guess.

if daisies are in the asteraceae family, why not just name her daisy like a normal person

• Locked thread