Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
my point is is that lowbrow cinema can still look good. but I think JJ abrams doesn't know how to hold back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
sorry i can't read your post through all the lens flares but i'm sure it's insightful

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Toadvine posted:

my point is is that lowbrow cinema can still look good. but I think JJ abrams doesn't know how to hold back.

Well it can't be worse than the prequels.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2OoxzYqgNY&t=55s

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Better than the prequels" is such a hilariously low bar that JJBrams is never going to stop getting his dick sucked by nerds for barely putting effort into this lovely movie

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I am a star wars fan boy so for me "better than prequels" is good enough. At least we know it's gonna look good

I say crank out as many movies as they want ill lap it all up cause i am a adult child

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the prequels are not offensively bad on their own merit. they are very bad, few will deny that; but what makes them truly monstrous is that they revealed to us that star wars was, at its best, merely good, and was more usually mediocre to bad.

what we learned was that when someone has become too powerful for editorial control, it usually ends in disaster.

i watched terminator 2 DC recently and every "added" scene detracted from the film.

george lucas got to make 3 films worth of director's cut, and we learned over and over, for eight-something hours, that everything good about star wars was owed either to (a) the energy of its vision or (b) people telling GL no. (also (c) the physical limitation of SFX at the time.)

we have had a long time to recover from that shock. we are no longer innocent.

jj will benefit greatly from this. few will go in thinking "star wars is inviolate, do not destroy my dreams." instead they will think "there is an earthly star wars, contained in the movies, and a heavenly star wars, contained in my heart, and i can enjoy the imperfections of the former without damaging the latter."

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

just try to enjoy the fact that george lucas spent decades developing SFX so he could make his diarrhetic vision a reality.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the prequels aged worse SFX wise than the originals.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

yes, but pixar is going strong making the best looking CGI in the world.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

i will never not give GL credit for helping make movies interesting again by increasing their spectacle value a trillionfold.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
I read somewhere that George Lucas's ex-wife is responsible for the plot and dialogue of a new hope being good and not wooden. anyone know if theres truth to this?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

my understanding is that that's basically true, and my conclusion is that's why he divorced her

sources: me

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Seems plausible since he got tons of help on the ESB screenplay

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

Seems plausible since he got tons of help on the ESB screenplay

It was also the best once since he had less involvement with it.

The prequels are pretty much what you get when you combine his off the wall director personality with no one telling him no.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
lol at all the dipshits itt arguing about the finer poiints of cinema and a bunch of other dumb rear end retard bullshit no one with a normal functioning brain gives even the slightest fucck about

the moivie is going to have cool lasers and space battles and an plot that isnt a pile of jarjar poo poo, and nothing else will fuckin matter you GOD drat NERDS

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
whatss that, a fun scifi movie that looks pretty and isnt aggressivley terrible? butr what about the lensflares? WHAT A loving DISASTER

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Luke is gonna the new Yoda. That's why he isn't in the trailer.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

whatis posted:

lol at all the dipshits itt arguing about the finer poiints of cinema and a bunch of other dumb rear end retard bullshit no one with a normal functioning brain gives even the slightest fucck about

the moivie is going to have cool lasers and space battles and an plot that isnt a pile of jarjar poo poo, and nothing else will fuckin matter you GOD drat NERDS

but will it have midichlorians?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TIL a hero going on a journey is a bad story, got it, i'll throw out my beowulf and gilgamesh and star wars I guess

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
and lotr and harry potter

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
but not dr who

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

whatis posted:

unironically this

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

TIL a hero going on a journey is a bad story, got it, i'll throw out my beowulf and gilgamesh and star wars I guess

You have taken the first step into a wider world.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Toadvine posted:

I read somewhere that George Lucas's ex-wife is responsible for the plot and dialogue of a new hope being good and not wooden. anyone know if theres truth to this?

It was her editing skills that saved the movie.

nomadologique posted:

my understanding is that that's basically true, and my conclusion is that's why he divorced her

sources: me

Mainly it was because she wanted kids of her own, but George was shootin' blanks. The couple had one adopted child, and he adopted two more after the divorce, then remarried and finally had a biological child through a surrogate in 2013.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

nomadologique posted:

lol, that freakish looking guy from girls is the bad guy?

lena dunham is not in this movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

etalian posted:

Plus it cribbed lots of ideas and characters from superior Japanese films.

Weirdly enough, the Japanese Star Wars adaptation was completely poo poo

Edit: THIS IS CANON

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Toadvine posted:

where is everyone getting the idea that Luke is bad now? I mean, thats a cool direction for the movie to go but what makes you think that.

this is the bad guy under the mask if you didnt know already

Wow fragmaster is getting some pretty high profile acting jobs these days. Nice.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
he has a more sensual side though

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Weirdly enough, the Japanese Star Wars adaptation was completely poo poo

Edit: THIS IS CANON

the stormtroopers sit in a ring to spectate the honor combat

god bless glorious nippon

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
jjbrams confirmed there are gungans in the new trilogy

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
also lol that lucas spent a billion dollars on the cgi in the prequels and now the effects are so dated someone needs to go in and replace them with practical effects

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the key to keeping sfx from getting dated is to never watch a movie more than once. lol if you don't know this already.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

also lol that lucas spent a billion dollars on the cgi in the prequels and now the effects are so dated someone needs to go in and replace them with practical effects

lol where can i read more about this

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

thathonkey posted:

he has a more sensual side though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ15lqWpOpE

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Id follow him into a star war

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toadvine posted:

Id follow him into a star war

He got casted as a sith lord since he already had experience with being around a death star sized thing.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Pretty sure Luke dies in this film, giving R2 a transmission like Leia does except Luke gets overpowered and executed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

you think the voiceover from the first trailer ("the force is strong in our family...") is a transmission via R2? not a bad guess.

• Locked thread