Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My favorite part is the hypocrisy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/527496449421238272

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

this but unironically

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
going after peter perker's woman is both illegal and immoral

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i disagree, anyone that evades more than $1 million in taxes has damaged their country and should by tried for treason, not theft

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I live on the island of Guernsey, one of the jurisdictions featured. I'm not a tax dodger, I'm a born and bred local from an farming family, I don't earn nearly enough money to be able to pay no tax. In fact I probably pay more income tax than most of you fuckers and I don't even get social healthcare like the UK. The finance industry is a pox on this island, it has lead to an incredible housing bubble which has seen our property prices rival central London. My girlfriend and I pay £900 ($1300USD) a month for a single bedroom apartment and it's generally considered that we got a screaming deal.

The death of this "industry" cant happen quick enough IMO. It's going to gently caress the island in the short term of course, but long term we need to rid ourselves of this poisoned goddamn chalice.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ReelBigLizard posted:

I live on the island of Guernsey, one of the jurisdictions featured. I'm not a tax dodger, I'm a born and bred local from an farming family, I don't earn nearly enough money to be able to pay no tax. In fact I probably pay more income tax than most of you fuckers and I don't even get social healthcare like the UK. The finance industry is a pox on this island, it has lead to an incredible housing bubble which has seen our property prices rival central London. My girlfriend and I pay £900 ($1300USD) a month for a single bedroom apartment and it's generally considered that we got a screaming deal.

The death of this "industry" cant happen quick enough IMO. It's going to gently caress the island in the short term of course, but long term we need to rid ourselves of this poisoned goddamn chalice.

do you have nice cows there?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I went to Guernsey as a kid and petted a horse and gave it a sugar cube

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Moola posted:

And the horse didn't pay any tax on the sugar

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
mmm there's this local farm that makes ice cream and this kind called sweet guernsey cream is just delish

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Rutibex posted:

do you have nice cows there?

We do! On the land that we still have left after rich dickheads came and bought all the farms to convert into fancy rustic mansions, that is. Or the fields they bought up to keep horses. I don't have any relation to the dairy industry though, my family are mostly growers - flowers fruit and veg.

Moola posted:

It's still a beautiful place with lovely people and it's only spoiled by this malignant tumour that is finance. Come back and visit, we'll need a tourism industry when the banks all gently caress off :)

Mozi posted:

mmm there's this local farm that makes ice cream and this kind called sweet guernsey cream is just delish

You should try the real stuff. Our dairy produce is beautiful. Especially if you get unpasteurised stuff from a farm. Yesterday I went shore gathering for abalone (we call them ormers) with my grandfather and went back to the family greenhouses and fried them up in bright yellow butter and had them on sandwiches.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sounds pretty cool, maybe I'll have the chance to visit when I go on vacation to Europe in June

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rutibex posted:

i disagree, anyone that evades more than $1 million in taxes has damaged their country and should by tried for treason, not theft

ArmZ posted:

this but unironically

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Hold on to your butts.

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists is about to unleash a huge data dump about how some of the world's wealthiest and most powerful people hide their cash.

The group has already released a host of information regarding how major figures in politics and business store their wealth in tax havens.

On Wednesday the ICIJ said in an email that on May 9 it would "publish what will likely be the largest-ever release of information about secret offshore companies and the people behind them, based on data from the Panama Papers investigation.

"The searchable database will include information about more than 200,000 companies, trusts, foundations, and funds incorporated in 21 tax havens, from Hong Kong to Nevada in the United States."

http://www.businessinsider.com/panama-papers-data-dump-in-may-2016-4

Soon we will know all.

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

Lime Tonics posted:

Hold on to your butts.

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists is about to unleash a huge data dump about how some of the world's wealthiest and most powerful people hide their cash.

The group has already released a host of information regarding how major figures in politics and business store their wealth in tax havens.

On Wednesday the ICIJ said in an email that on May 9 it would "publish what will likely be the largest-ever release of information about secret offshore companies and the people behind them, based on data from the Panama Papers investigation.

"The searchable database will include information about more than 200,000 companies, trusts, foundations, and funds incorporated in 21 tax havens, from Hong Kong to Nevada in the United States."

http://www.businessinsider.com/panama-papers-data-dump-in-may-2016-4

Soon we will know all.

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo!

>packs suitcase and takes private jet to Saudi Arabia

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Here comes some big news that no one in America will give a flying poo poo about. looooook out!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
anyyy day now.....

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Lol everyone's forgotten allllll about this already

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Darth123123 posted:

anyyy day now.....
Its because they had jackshit other than. "This company exists and people in poo poo tier countries keep their money here"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

Lol everyone's forgotten allllll about this already

because no important americans were involved yet

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Americans automatically assume that foreigners are morally corrupt or at least somewhat ethically questionable so it follows suit that this wouldn't become a big deal until there are Americans listed.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
David Cameron just waved it off.

And Xi Jingping removed all discussions of it from domestic forums.

The moral of the story is only politicians in tiny jokester countries are affected.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

dog buttz posted:

Americans automatically assume that foreigners are morally corrupt or at least somewhat ethically questionable so it follows suit that this wouldn't become a big deal until there are Americans listed.

They're not wrong.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
anyone care yet? no? ok.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rape Stink posted:

anyone care yet? no? ok.

i cared, but then i forgot about it.

i think this is going to be like the whole Snowden reveal "the world is actually 1984" thing. everyone knows about it, and vaguely dislikes it, but nothing changes because everyone already assumed it was happening anyway (and they can't do anything about it)

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Database is live.

https://offshoreleaks.icij.org/

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Trump is not there, but a no 1 search

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I wonder if my work will prohibit access from my personal devices to this like snowdens db

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

k now what

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This leak need to have a terrible name like "The Taxinening" to take off.

Also, the only name they can dig up is Emma Watson. loving lame.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

wake me up when this is interesting

Green Hill Friendzone
Oct 27, 2013

Where are the Americans?

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they're not there because they're the good guys.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Safety Scissors posted:

Maybe they're not there because they're the good guys.

They're all in the Delaware tax dodge central (or similar institution).

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/apr/06/panama-papers-us-tax-havens-delaware

The Panama leaks are huge but what's being discussed less or not at all in the media is the many thousands of other companies doing the same thing. If you were feeling 'tin hatty' you could claim the Panama papers were released because they have few US people in them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's pretty funny how the firm is angry at the journalists

That horse is out the door, guys

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
is this dump all the documents?

because the way this leak has been handled so far does not make me confident in the intentions of the journalists. I think that they are protecting powerful Americans.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

City of Tampa posted:

is this dump all the documents?

because the way this leak has been handled so far does not make me confident in the intentions of the journalists. I think that they are protecting powerful Americans.

no powerful americans would ever use this fuckin bank. theres no reason to. its for like dictators and government officials to hide their poo poo.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah the 5th Best Bank to hide your tax poo poo is pretty low bar

Imagine what the 4th Best Bank to hide your tax poo poo is like :allears:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Aren't Swiss banks still a thing? Like as in they won't ever reveal poo poo all and you can just black hole your money there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moridin920 posted:

Aren't Swiss banks still a thing? Like as in they won't ever reveal poo poo all and you can just black hole your money there?

Did you miss the UBS thing?

• Locked thread