Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hendricks becomes a UFA in 2021
Bryant, Rizzo, Russell, Baez, and Schwarber become UFAs in 2022
Contreras and Almora become UFAs in 2023

This core's gonna be around for a long time.

"We'll shut down Stephen Strasburg because our core will be around for a long time." - Washington Nationals, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Huh?

I mean, you’re not required to give a base runner a “safe lane” if you’re receiving a throw at 2nd or 3rd. Are you?

Thats a good point, Im not sure on the rules about that

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Vernacular posted:

The organist at Dodger Stadium has gotta be the same as the one at Staples Center

Fun Fact: I used to do a lot of composing work with the Kings' former organist

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

bawfuls posted:

look up Buster Posey ankle

Ouch. That was really bad.

It honestly looked like a runner trying to make a play, but it's good to try and prevent stuff like that from happening even if it means some plays could have gone one way.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You don't see blocks at other bases because no player is gonna risk getting bowled over with no protection on a non scoring play. Same rules apply.

Also the runner has to stay on the base so that can't risk bowling over the position player and not being on the bag.

Popete fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 15, 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vernacular posted:

The organist at Dodger Stadium has gotta be the same as the one at Staples Center
he is yes, I forget his name but he took over for Nancy Bea recently

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

holylemon posted:

Uh, yes? Do you see any other bases being blocked?

Yes? fielders put their bodies in front of the base all the time to make it more difficult for the runner to tag the base

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Huh?

I mean, you’re not required to give a base runner a “safe lane” if you’re receiving a throw at 2nd or 3rd. Are you?
hi do you remember the Chase Utley Incident and Rule?

Also runners at other bases have to stay on the base after reaching it. They don’t have to do this at the plate thus they could more aggressively go after the catcher

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
gently caress it. Play baseball like in Ty Cobb's day and put the spikes to them. Medium style.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Wuet88 posted:

Thats a good point, Im not sure on the rules about that

I mean you can't just stand in the basepaths and block runners

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

"We'll shut down Stephen Strasburg because our core will be around for a long time." - Washington Nationals, 2012

Yeah but they made the ultimate mistake of hiring Dusty

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TAQIYYA PURVEYOR posted:

gently caress it. Play baseball like in Ty Cobb's day and put the spikes to them. Medium style.

get all these showboating latinos and blacks like Puig out of my sweet pure game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ludwig van Halen posted:

If you have the ball. It's the same rules at any base.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

You don't see blocks at other bases because no player is gonna risk getting bowled over with no protection on a non scoring play. Same rules apply.

Sometimes you see it on steals/plays at third because it's the easiest other base to block. You drop to a knee in front of the bag and hope the guy is coming in head first.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah but they made the ultimate mistake of hiring Dusty

glass houses, stones etc etc.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Kenley Jansen is obscenely good.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Oh well. I wasn't expecting to win Game 1 anyway. The annoying part is we actually got to Kershaw.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah. Resigning him was huge

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s

Ludwig van Halen posted:

But you see fielders block the base and aren't call for anything. Ive been watching baseball for a very long time.

Im looking for the exact rule, because i might have missed the change.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Imagine having a bullpen guy who can get a side out in under 20 pitches

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
gg

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Oh well. I wasn't expecting to win Game 1 anyway. The annoying part is we actually got to Kershaw.

That's pretty much my thinking too. I never expected to win game 1.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pancakes posted:

The last year an NL Central team wasn't in the NLCS was 2010. :getin: That being said, I'm a little skeptical about Cubs dominance for that long; the pitching seems suspect, the Brewers have a pretty good youth movement coming and the Cardinals are betting pretty hard on their young pitching. Alex Reyes looked incredible last year, remember, and Luke Weaver's really coming into his own as well.

They have Hendricks and Quintana for awhile. Lester should have a year or two of being real good. They could (and should) also move Schwarber for some pitching.

Cubs biggest issue going forward is bullpen. But that's something you can fix in an offseason or even a trade dealdine like the Nats did.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Imagine having a bullpen guy who can get a side out in under 20 pitches

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Dexo posted:

get all these showboating latinos and blacks like Puig out of my sweet pure game.

I can show you a Prager U video that says Ty Cobb was a saint :colbert:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Kenley is ridic

Go team go :toot:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

man, how in the gently caress did the Cubs survive this garbage Bullpen

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Popete posted:

If you have the ball. It's the same rules at any base.

Yeah, I mean like the Shortstop can't stand in the middle of the basepath and block a runner coming into 3rd while a throw is coming into the 3rd baseman. If the 3rd baseman has the ball and comes into the basepaths to tag the runner thats fine.

Beller
Apr 9, 2009
Haha did you guys think I was mad about my team losing a playoff game? Guess again...

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
sling tv is the worst -- I missed all the good Dodger bits. Glad it doesn't come down to the 1 run ruling, even though I agree with the rule.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

hi do you remember the Chase Utley Incident and Rule?

Also runners at other bases have to stay on the base after reaching it. They don’t have to do this at the plate thus they could more aggressively go after the catcher

I don’t think the Utley slide is comparable to this situation but whatever. My last thought on the matter: if you wanna have that rule, make it home plate umpire’s judgement and not reviewable, cuz that was loving boring and it would have been infuriating if the roles had been reversed

And LOL at that Puig on-field interview

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

That's pretty much my thinking too. I never expected to win game 1.

On the other hand this isn't the Dodgers team that was throwing Joe Blanton out there last year

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SourKraut posted:

I think Puig is hilarious, people are dumb

Puig is good, Bautista is good, batflips are awesome

Congrats Dodgers SAS! See you in game 2

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
drat, these MLB injury videos have me wondering why pitchers also don't wear a catchers headgear.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The rule at any base is if the fielder doesn't have the ball, they can't completely cut off access to the base. Otherwise you could just have your first baseman drop a leg to block a runner's return on a pickoff throw.

You don't see them enforce this too much largely because of the mechanics of baserunning, and the fact Buster Posey was a catcher and not a third baseman.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Batflips are good and if it turns out they batflip on a ball that stays in the yard it becomes funny

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Poque posted:

Still looks disturbingly like Ron Funches *tokes on blunt, high pitched giggle*

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
gregg zaun talking about buster posey is some of the dumbest poo poo youll ever hear in your life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I like how the Cubs just stopped trying at the plate after the almora hr.

All garbage at bats after that.

Would be great if any of them could find a bat?

Can we get a preacher to pray over our bats like the Nats did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Spring Break My Heart posted:

gregg zaun talking about buster posey is some of the dumbest poo poo youll ever hear in your life.

Never listen to old ball players talk about rule changes, it's never good.

• Locked thread