Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

trigger warning: the verge
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/9/16867068/microsoft-meltdown-spectre-security-updates-amd-pcs-issues

so much for amd loving up slightly less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'm pretty sure this poo poo is on microsoft.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
Pretty sure we're talking Athlon X2 era cpu's there as well.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Truga posted:

otoh which company had loving lovely drivers until like last year

old habits die hard

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TheCoach posted:

Pretty sure we're talking Athlon X2 era cpu's there as well.

yeah, it's first gen AMD64 arch, I'm surprised anything even still runs on that.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

so it looks like if youre virtualized w/ vmware theres still no fix lmao

https://twitter.com/lamw/status/949662333038559232

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

okay well vmware patches are out now (for real this time)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

NEED MORE MILK posted:

yeah im not sure if its a virtualization thing or not, im gonna open a ticket with vmware tomorrow

9560 still hosed on bare metal over here, no idea how shaggar managed it but:

code:
Hardware support for branch target injection mitigation is present: False
Windows OS support for branch target injection mitigation is present: False
Dell released _another_ bios yesterday, which I installed to no effect. Seems like the bios patches don't add hardware support and the windows patch doesn't add software support. how the gently caress do i make this poo poo green

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

jesus what a poo poo show

Truga posted:

based on both companies history, amd and microsoft probably share the blame

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
are you behind a wsus that isn't getting new patches?
I got the windows patch and the software stuff showed as fixed and then once I installed 1.7.0 it showed the hardware stuff was fixed.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Apple has rolled out the specter update to its iOS devices, and I’m assuming they must have rolled it out to OS X

that being said, there haven’t been a lot of reported issues with that update, I wonder why hmmm... :thunk:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
nothing from lenovo yet for my x220 tablet afaik

i'm running a custom bios to remove the PCIe whitelist and run my ram faster anyway :shepface:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

are you behind a wsus that isn't getting new patches?
I got the windows patch and the software stuff showed as fixed and then once I installed 1.7.0 it showed the hardware stuff was fixed.

Not behind a WSUS at all. Installed bios 1.7.0 and KB4056890

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i don't think i'm ever getting a motherboard update, ASRock's last released BIOS for my board was in 2015

god has it really been almost five years since i bought that board? it still feels like not that long ago.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't think i'm ever getting a motherboard update, ASRock's last released BIOS for my board was in 2015

god has it really been almost five years since i bought that board? it still feels like not that long ago.

my z77 board was from 2013 and it worked perfectly when i replaced it for no good reason like a giant moron

lol if i think my aorus board is getting the update for this

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

My Linux Rig posted:

Apple has rolled out the specter update to its iOS devices, and I’m assuming they must have rolled it out to OS X

that being said, there haven’t been a lot of reported issues with that update, I wonder why hmmm... :thunk:

they rolled out the macos fixes in like november, so they were probably quite a bit less rushed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
would anyone even notice a 30% performance drop on osx?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

no one's going to notice it in windows

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

no its already as slow as possible

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

"might haswell die" was a deece thread title and i'm glad it applies here as well

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

no, because it's already extremely fast and perfect

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

jesus what a poo poo show

based on both companies history, amd and microsoft probably share the blame

probably, but for some reason the article fails to state the fact that this is happening on athlon 64s. i.e. first generation amd64.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and ms claims it's because some chipsets don't conform to spec, which is the most believable thing ever written about athlon 64 chipsets

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

of course not. nobody uses osx.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Lenovo had the great idea to push bios updates that launch automatically in the background. Except they gently caress with the video drivers, making PCs go into black screens out of nowhere. So people think their PC crashed and reboot them while the bios update is in progress

Several people at my company bricked their workstations today because of this
:discourse:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Zlodo posted:

Lenovo had the great idea to push bios updates that launch automatically in the background. Except they gently caress with the video drivers, making PCs go into black screens out of nowhere. So people think their PC crashed and reboot them while the bios update is in progress

lmao this owns

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zlodo posted:

well, they're not vulnerable to spectre anymore are they?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol if you think anything you do on a computer is ever going to be private again.

destroy your computer and live in a tree

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

computers meant to become offline work-only tools again

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Paper is back, baby!

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
lol ios almost 50% performance loss with spectre patch http://web.archive.org/web/20180110193140/https://melv1n.com/iphone-performance-benchmarks-after-spectre-update/

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

countdown until samsung starts saying that their devices finally as fast as iphones (because they will never receive a patch)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

thats just good old battery throttling

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Zlodo posted:

Holy Moley, thatsa spicy bios!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

gently caress, are androids any better now?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
that's a synthetic benchmark though. it covers a lot of different tasks but are those really representative of daily use? rigid body physics simulation? ray tracing, on a phone? really?

kind interested in what the "camera" one is that lost 45% though. isn't most camera performance based on the imaging chipset and not really the cpu?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The sample size is 1 so maybe reserve judgement for a little bit

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The sample size is 1 so maybe reserve judgement for a little bit

B...but I only own 1 phone.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

that's a synthetic benchmark though. it covers a lot of different tasks but are those really representative of daily use? rigid body physics simulation? ray tracing, on a phone? really?

kind interested in what the "camera" one is that lost 45% though. isn't most camera performance based on the imaging chipset and not really the cpu?

A lot of those look pretty "daily use" to me. JPEG, HTML5 parsing, PDF rendering, all down like 40%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in one benchmark attempt on one phone, with questionable controls

i mean maybe it is that bad, but i wouldn't take this as proof of that

• Locked thread