Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
First episode (of six):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up6XIbDbeJs

Note that I'm not going to post future video updates in the thread or on Twitter since I don't want to clog the thread with stream videos, though if I remember to I'll add them to the OP. Otherwise sub to my Youtube and then unsub when I'm done posting them.

Actual SSLP update will be later this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

So I tried to check into solo DK Cecil myself, since I got curious. Apparently though my old savefile won't work for it, as it still thought I had a party. Then I tried to just go directly to the end of the game using the "shortcut" and the walk-through-walls code (00A7C64A) to bypass Kain. Thought it might work, but...it didn't either, for a very unusual reason.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Both solo runs end in rather unusual ways befitting for this hack (spoiled the DK solo twist for myself while confirming the Paladin twist). There was a point on the stream I was laughing for a full minute from the sheer absurdity of it all, and it was probably only 30% anguish.

Also there’s bad desync in that video I posted and I’ll look into reuploading tomorrow afternoon when I have time. e: Apparently not? Should be fine I guess!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 5, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mega64 posted:

Both solo runs end in rather unusual ways befitting for this hack (spoiled the DK solo twist for myself while confirming the Paladin twist). There was a point on the stream I was laughing for a full minute from the sheer absurdity of it all, and it was probably only 30% anguish.

That does not give me hope for the DK ending but regardless I hope it's a bit less underwhelming.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Also there’s bad desync in that video I posted and I’ll look into reuploading tomorrow afternoon when I have time. e: Apparently not? Should be fine I guess!

At this point I'm hoping for something batshit crazy like "And then suddenly if you have the time egg, FFV/FFVI/Mystic Quest characters show up to help because gently caress it, that's something we managed to do with the program".

Or Paladin/Dark Knight Golbez joins you and you have a 2-on-1 beatdown on Zeromus.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

There was one part I was like "This is stupid, but it's actually a little exciting and fun in a 'Saturday Morning Cartoon', sort of way!" and then it went straight back to soul crushing.

Just like a rom hack should be! :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bonus Chapter 3 - Solo Paladin Cecil Run

This hack has a couple bonuses if you manage to beat the game as solo Cecil, both as a Dark Knight and as a Paladin. Today I'll be showing off the Paladin route.

I streamed this run on Twitch, so if you're interested in my inane mumbling here is the playlist (will be fully up by end of the week).

First order of business, get the Ragnarok. Honestly I didn't use it much, as Cecil really needs a shield to survive battles as a Paladin. The Aegis Shield is pretty much essential since it blocks instant death attacks.

Odin goes down surprisingly quickly this time, and I nab the Excalibur, which will be my main weapon until I get the Lightbringer.

It's also handy to grab at least one piece of Paladin gear, since it resists dark attacks. This help a lot against Golbez.

After that, we get rid of our party again.

I try a few grinding places, but eventually settle upon the moon's surface. I eventually decide to try at L37.

If playing solo, the good news is you completely skip the fiends.

With one character, Golbez's attack pattern is simple to see. In fact, for the first half or so of the fight, he doesn't have one! Literally all he will do is counter your attacks, but never actually do anything on his own. If you do nothing, he does nothing.

But past a certain HP threshold, he throws out DarkHoly. Ouch!

There's usually a way to overcome these challenges, and this is certainly no exception.

In this hack, Cecil can learn Shell. Shell (and Protect) is a lot different in FF4 than in other games. Whereas in other games Shell reduces magic damage by a set amount, usually by half or by a third, in FF4 Shell simply adds on to your Magic Defense. The problem is that this increase is very small, only adding three magic defense per casting, meaning it's essentially useless to cast in the original since there's no encounter that warrants spending that much time beefing up with Shell.

Here, Golbez will literally stand there while we spam Shell over and over.

After I spam Shell until I run out of MP, Golbez becomes much more manageable. He then goes into his attack pattern of Dark Holy, Dark Wave, Bio, and Death. Aegis blocks Death, and Cecil's high magic defense make the rest irrelevant.

That said, Cecil wants to stay in the back row to minimize Golbez's counters, and Golbez has over 30k HP, so this is really a battle of attrition.

...This becomes a bit of a common theme for boss battles.

Otherwise the rest of the cutscene is unchanged and Cecil will charge into the moon's core.

Grinding is a bit tricky here, but as long as you avoid Warlocks and their nasty spells you'll probably manage. There's enough enemies that go down easily...with patience.

Pale Dim literally only attacks with 1 damage and counters with Slow.

As you can see, I took 140 attacks before I finally killed it. Welcome to solo runs!

Cure3 is actually a godsend, as by the time Cecil's geared up it'll be healing for around 2500HP, or around twice that of an X-Potion. This run would have been much, much harder without Cure3.

Plague is literally powerless if you're holding the Aegis Shield.

The Lunar Dragons are a bit tricky, but there are a couple ways around them.

First off, if you physically attack them, they counter by casting Wall on themselves followed by bouncing Ice 3 spells off each other. Thus you want a Dragon piece equipped to resist it. And if you let them do their initial attack pattern, they can use Bad Breath, though luckily the Power Gauntlet resists part of that, and due to how status effects work in this game it makes that move meaningless.

Someone in the Twitch chat suggested using spells, which does not trigger their Ice3 spam. It's a good idea, but my ultimate solution was more delightful.

Buffed and resistant, their Ice3 onslaught is laughable now.

Here's the thing about their AI, though. They initially cast Reflect, then continue spamming Ice3 on each other. Without ever refreshing Reflect. So you can literally let them kill each other.

The Crystal gear is nice and all but Cecil can equip the Ribbon too. This is very handy, of course.

Wyvern's a matter of Shelling up and healing during his Flare spam until you're ready to go on the offensive. One of Cecil's attacks is roughly enough to counter Bahamut's Remedy move, so even with healing Cecil wins the damage race handily and gets his ultimate weapon.

At L54, Cecil learns Holy. Yes, that Holy.

I don't bother with it since it's not that much better than his physicals at this point, and the MP is better saved for Cure3.

Ogopogo is a matter of surviving his physicals, since his Tidal Waves will always either do 1/4 or 1/2 max HP damage, depending on if it's one or two waves.

Cecil can equip this, and honestly the magic resistance is much more useful than the Crystal's physical, considering Zeromus has no physical attacks and all.

The cutscene plays out the exact same as before, even with nobody there.

Zeromus is a big battle of attrition. If I get around 2000HP, cast Cure3. If I'm low and I feel Big Bang is coming soon, go for an Elixir. Otherwise, attack.

It's Big Bang and Flare spam the whole way down. It takes awhile, but Cecil was never in danger of losing.

So, what's changed?

Remember that doorway in the Hummingway cave? It's now accessible.

Also, instead of an ending, the game simply drops Cecil back in front of the crystal palace.

Interestingly enough, at this point the Time Egg disappears from our inventory.

Backtracking triggers the entire core sequence again, so let's check out the new thing instead.

So...this is the Ancient Castle.

Obvious FF5 vibes here. Zerosouls spam lots of powerful magic and aren't really worth fighting.

On either side are the only two Alarms in the game, as far as I can tell.

Otherwise this castle is small, and other than two hallways on either side this is the last room. Also looks like we finally found FuSoYa.

This actually cannot be equipped.

Might as well.

We'll get back to that in a second.

This summons a random summon monster. Alright, then.

If we give him his crown...

...uh

Buckle up, folks. This is where poo poo gets nuts.

Usually I'll transcribe this, but honestly I need to put all of this in screenshots because you will not loving believe me otherwise.

Yes, according to this hack, Zemus created Lavos. You know...sure...alright. Whatever you say.

Zemus is the bonus boss here, and while he's tougher than Zeromus, he's still manageable.

His attack pattern is very lengthy, and more importantly, every special move has a physical attack in between that hits for up to a thousand damage.

First off is a ineffective Blast move, then Demi, then two Flares in a row, followed by Black Hole.

After that is Blink, followed by a triple casting of Fire3/Ice3/Bolt3 for negligible damage.

Then loving Meteo, and the pattern loops around.

Once you anticipate the pattern and learn when to heal up, it's not too bad.

And we get EXP and a Megalixir after all that.

And...that's it. That's literally it. You're popped back out in the room with no Zemus, no changes, nothing.

I went through the entire final dungeon again and beat Zeromus again. The core bosses and treasures do not respawn, if you're curious.

And when you do beat Zeromus...you're popped back out again. Zemus doesn't even respawn. I even googled around, but apparently this is all that happens. How anticlimatic.

On the bright side, I did spoil myself on what happens in the Dark Knight solo run as a result, and the good news is things actually get resolved...sort of. I'll show that off next time.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...If you get dropped off right before the point of no return after the solo run, is there anything stopping you from getting a party to fight Zemus?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That sure went much faster in screenshot format. And was just as anticlimactic of an ending.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Does the Solo Dark Knight ending take you beyond time to fight the Dream Devourer or something?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I'm guessing the creator of this hack has something against FuSoYa?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
He's just Tellah with better stats, and the hack creator already planned to make Tellah endgame-viable. Though apparently plans didn't quite meet reality on that front.

I'm sad that my prediction that FuSoYa would be the paladin of the run were dashed. That would have been funny.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Can you go back and recruit the others between Zeromus and Zemus?

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

mauman posted:

I'm guessing the creator of this hack has something against FuSoYa?

It's related to how the game works/stores characters internally. In short, there's active character slots which is used for your party and then there's "shadow" character slots that are used for characters who rejoin later. Due to Unprcedented Crisis' nature though, there's not enough room for everyone, so what the creator did was replace FuSoYa with Kain's stats for when he "permanently" rejoins later.

And with Tellah in-theory doing everything the beard can do in this hack, he was the most expendable. Still kinda weird to entirely write him out aside from using his sprite in that twist, though.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

SirSystemError posted:

Still kinda weird to entirely write him out aside from using his sprite in that twist, though.

He was barely in the original game and his story twist was removed, so it makes sense to drop him.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I didn't try it but I assume you could get a party if you wanted to. Actually didn't think of getting a party and then beating Zemus/Zeromus again. May give that a try just in case later.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Alternately: It just hit me. Those were the only two alarms in the game, right? I wonder if using them in some place, like the Ancient Castle, might do something? Summon an extremely rare 0.000000001% chance to find enemy that sets off a flag?

Fighting with a group seems a little more plausible though. The fact that the person put so much effort into these extra bosses and stuff, only to drop it at the very end, seems a little strange. It feels like there's something that should happen after it!

On the other hand, it may be just an elaborate troll. :v:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Or just something unfinished.

Still, the Chrono Trigger crossover is just :psyduck:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Since when is Lavos an (eventual) universe devourer? Chrono Cross?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Eh, the way it's presented in Chrono Trigger leans towards "eventually eat all life-force in the universe". It's born, goes to a planet and feeds on the lifeforce of the planet while making the "ultimate lifeform" from life on the planet, then once its full/done, it pops out, kills all surface life, makes babies and they repeat the pattern. Given how long Lavos is dormant though and how few lavos spawn we see, I'm pretty sure that the species wouldn't eat their way through a quarter of the universe before the heat death of the universe kicks in.

Or you have one that exists outside of time through the powers of dark sorcery, and somehow feeds on timelines instead of planets.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Or maybe it's because ff4 and chrono trigger came in the same pack for the psone?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The hack creator played TAY and was like "that twist wasn't stupid enough."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Defiance Industries posted:

The hack creator played TAY and was like "that twist wasn't stupid enough."

Not the right kind of stupid
This is the good kind of stupid.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Yeah this twist shoots the moon (:v:) into pretty hilarious and fun to me.

Actually somewhat curious, does anyone have the steam version of TAY? The one they redid like FF4DS? I was curious if it's any harder/more stupid than the PSP/Wiiware releases. I can say I unironically enjoy just screwing around in the final boss rush chapter with stupid party configurations, and was just curious if it played any differently! :unsmith:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

IIRC it removes the Challenge Dungeons (yea) and the second half of the final dungeon and its bosses.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not the right kind of stupid
This is the good kind of stupid.

I'm honestly kind of impressed.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Alkarl posted:

Yeah this twist shoots the moon (:v:) into pretty hilarious and fun to me.

Actually somewhat curious, does anyone have the steam version of TAY? The one they redid like FF4DS? I was curious if it's any harder/more stupid than the PSP/Wiiware releases. I can say I unironically enjoy just screwing around in the final boss rush chapter with stupid party configurations, and was just curious if it played any differently! :unsmith:

It replaces the FF1-6 bosses with the Lunar Eidolans. Shame to see them go, because there's a lot less to do in the final dungeon as a result.

Mechanically, plot-unrelated Bands are earned by having the characters survive a few battles together, and all of them level up and get slightly stronger by the same method. That's a change.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

The optional characters are also no longer optional. If one of the Elban 4 dies, you just get a game over. Gekkou no longer gets the choice to charge into suicide. And you get a forced encounter against Quattro Puppets on the way out of Agart Mine, who always drop what you need to repair the dolls. On the removed challenge dungeons' note, I believe some of their unique contents are scattered around in their tales' chests, whereas others can be bought from Namingway in the finale.

Aside, decided to read the TAY LP for fun, finished it yesterday. A good amusing trip down memory lane to remind myself of why that game was so bad in so flawed in so many different ways. As much as I don't like some of the changes this ROMhack made to the story, it's still a better story than TAY. And at least this ROMhack kinda revels in the absurdity of its rehashes at times.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mega64 posted:

IIRC it removes the Challenge Dungeons (yea) and the second half of the final dungeon and its bosses.

Yeah it removed a big part of why I like TAY so it's not worth it imo.

This hack is good, a nice demonstration of the hacking utilities abilities and the story isn't blatantly offensive and just allows the gameplay so it's better then most romhack stories.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

SirSystemError posted:

The optional characters are also no longer optional. If one of the Elban 4 dies, you just get a game over. Gekkou no longer gets the choice to charge into suicide. And you get a forced encounter against Quattro Puppets on the way out of Agart Mine, who always drop what you need to repair the dolls. On the removed challenge dungeons' note, I believe some of their unique contents are scattered around in their tales' chests, whereas others can be bought from Namingway in the finale.

That's loving stupid. The PSP version is a lot better; and that's not saying much since I never finished TAY. Started the final dungeon and just couldn't care anymore.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That's loving stupid. The PSP version is a lot better; and that's not saying much since I never finished TAY. Started the final dungeon and just couldn't care anymore.

I dunno, I do like how getting Calca and Brina isn't ridiculously stupid anymore. PSP version is probably the best version though, yes. As arguably nice as some of the tweaks are, the iOS remake and its derivatives also remove a lot of content. I have mixed thoughts on challenge dungeons being gone. On one hand, it removes content and some of them were pretty fun. On the other hand, some of them were pretty unbearable and it's great not having to play them to get their stuff.

Can agree that I found it hard to care at the final dungeon of TAY, though. Got to the Depths then decided to just kill everything with solo Golbez the rest of the way through.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Thanks for the information everyone! I was tempted to grab it a few times but I think I'll just stick to the PSP version for all of my 'Huh?' needs. Seriously why would they remove probably the only redeeming qualities of the game? Weird.

Looking forward to DRK Cecil solo! It's honestly super refreshing to see that be viable and with completely different functionality to vanilla, on top of the mechanical differences to Paladin Cecil. It's neat! TAY kind of tried to do it with Golbez but it didn't quite hit the mark for me, although the sheer 'gently caress yeah, Golbez' factor was rad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
So how did the moon end up in orbit? I guess it was just shot off into space at random and FF4-Earth happened to grab it gravitationally? Like, in the original plot the Lunarians came to the world on purpose.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

:siren: Reminder that I am streaming the Dark Knight Solo Cecil run on Sunday 3/11 at 1:00PM EST. Also Daylight Savings Time and all so factor that in I guess :siren:

Mega64 posted:

--- Stream Episodes: [1] | [2] | [3] | [4] | [5] | [Playlist]

Meanwhile I finally finished uploading the stream so now I can share my favorite part, where I do the final dungeon and beat Zeromus a second time after beating Zemus and end up laughing a minute straight when I get kicked back to the moon overworld.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

That part was great. I actually had to abruptly go out to the store in the middle of the stream, though continued to watch on my phone. Got a couple odd looks at why hysterical laughter was booming from it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Spent an hour or so playing around in FF4kster since why not. I'll probably spend an update showing it off in more detail later, but thought this was interesting.

Zemus can drop both the Assassin's Dagger (buffs AGI/WIS/WILL by 15 and of course inflicts instant death) and the Hero Ring (absorbs all elements and buffs all stats by 15). That said, the former is the rarest drop from Kary in the Lunar Sub, while the latter is the rarest drop for the Pink Puffs (but considering you can only get two Alarm items (and only from the bonus dungeon unlocked by solo PAL Cecil), have fun with that one). Otherwise, Zemus is the only way I could find to get another Time Egg.

Otherwise certain enemies can drop certain items as their rarest drop, including the Cursed Ring (other enemies besides the Shadow Dragon can drop it, namely many undead foes), the Break Blade from the Magnetic Cave, and the Cleaver, the ultimate shuriken. Similarly, the EvilMask still has the Glass Mask (reduces elemental damage, best defense, and only heavy helm with magic defense) as its rarest drop.

The program itself is fairly robust, though it seems to have a decent learning curve and the interface may not be the best as far as extensive edits. Still seems easy enough to do gameplay tweaks if that's what you want, though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Streaming my Solo Dark Knight Cecil run of FF4 Unprecedented Crisis, plus may sneak in some FF15 afterwards.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Mega64 posted:

The program itself is fairly robust, though it seems to have a decent learning curve and the interface may not be the best as far as extensive edits. Still seems easy enough to do gameplay tweaks if that's what you want, though.

I've been messing around with it. Seems fun, my one complaint being the worldmap can't be edited. So you're stuck with those three maps.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
.....joined the stream just in time to watch the ending...

Wah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hahahaha what the hell

• Locked thread