Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Benny Harvey posted:

The worst part is, they're Swedish. I used to wish that ESL people would imitate British rather than American accents.

Who the gently caress hears a duck swallowing estuary English accent and thinks that's what they want to sound like. Trash imitating trash.

Who has the worst English accent, and why is it Geordies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Grevling posted:

Kind of cheating to bring up Achy Breaky Heart, even if it were re-released after Billy Ray's daughter made people very briefly remember he existed.

DId you play the video? (Don't blame you if you didn't, just seeing the title). That's not the original--that's the "sequel" with special guest appearance by old man Billy, and if anything, revisiting a song that was complete and utter poo poo in 1992 and somehow making it worse for 2014 is part of why it deserves to be listed in the first place.

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Benny Harvey posted:

The worst part is, they're Swedish. I used to wish that ESL people would imitate British rather than American accents.

Who the gently caress hears a duck swallowing estuary English accent and thinks that's what they want to sound like. Trash imitating trash.

Huh. I didn't know they were Swedish.

I guess that adds one more turd into the poo poo punch bowl of that song. I never understood it, lyrically, but now I can at least maybe blame the awful lyrics on them not speaking English well. I think.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Xotl posted:

DId you play the video? (Don't blame you if you didn't, just seeing the title). That's not the original--that's the "sequel" with special guest appearance by old man Billy, and if anything, revisiting a song that was complete and utter poo poo in 1992 and somehow making it worse for 2014 is part of why it deserves to be listed in the first place.
:ssh: Billy Ray Cyrus' version in 1992 was a remake, too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if we are talking about entire genres now, trap music is the worst thing the 2010s has brought us. i actually wanted to like it at first and figured once better rappers appeared i'd enjoy it, instead it is just infested with the most untalented mush-mouthed terrible lyricists i have ever heard. the music itself has also not evolved and i can hardly tell one trap song from the other.

i'll give it this though: it still is not as bad as post grunge. honestly if a genre does come out that manages to be worse than post grunge we should just make music illegal.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

:ssh: Billy Ray Cyrus' version in 1992 was a remake, too.

Huh, so it was. I'm torn between finding out how awful the original was and sparing my mind the pain.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

what good rock bands are there in the 2010s anyway? Queens of the Stone age and Radiohead are the only ones I can think of, and their best albums are pre-2010. Traditional rock is irrelevant

and don't say metal, because metal really blows

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

what good rock bands are there in the 2010s anyway? Queens of the Stone age and Radiohead are the only ones I can think of, and their best albums are pre-2010. Traditional rock is irrelevant

QotSA’s two albums in the 2010s were both fantastic. Radiohead has been godawful since In Rainbows.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Moxxis Endowment posted:

ugh its def this

:wrong: again, not even close to "Our Fight Song", that Bruno Mars is a B-tier guilty pleasure R&B song - at worst.

fatal oopsie-daisy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jan 30, 2018

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

financially racist posted:

if we are talking about entire genres now, trap music is the worst thing the 2010s has brought us. i actually wanted to like it at first and figured once better rappers appeared i'd enjoy it, instead it is just infested with the most untalented mush-mouthed terrible lyricists i have ever heard. the music itself has also not evolved and i can hardly tell one trap song from the other.

i'll give it this though: it still is not as bad as post grunge. honestly if a genre does come out that manages to be worse than post grunge we should just make music illegal.

Trap music makes me think sometimes like rap music’s going through it’s hair metal phase.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Coldplay, that song of there's that rhymes moon, June, spoon and then moon again for preference

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

hawowanlawow posted:

There hasn't been a lot: a few good tracks here and there, but overall it's been pretty meh.

Makthaverskan's second album was really good ("Makthaverskan II": try the song "Antabus"), as was the Coathangers' "Nosebleed Weekend" (try "Watch Your Back" or "Make It Right"), but both bands might be a bit punky for people just looking for trad rock. Greta van Fleet has been getting a decent amount of buzz, but to me they're to Led Zeppelin what Airbourne was to AC/DC: a group that knows how to ape the form, but doesn't have the songwriting chops to match. King Gizzard can be good, but they're definitely quantity over quality (though "Gamma Knife" was a hell of a lot of fun: great riff, great bizarro video).

I liked the Holograms' second album a lot (Forever), and would recommend it if you like the post-punk side of things ("Blaze on the Hillside", or "Rush").

Xotl fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 30, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

Coldplay, that song of there's that rhymes moon, June, spoon and then moon again for preference

They also have that one where they mention “Achilles and his gold”. Literally the only time Achilles and gold come up together in the Illiad is when he turns down some gold. That one has bugged me every time I heard it.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
my teenage cousins are into mumble rap and oh god is all that absolute poo poo

e: this kinda poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Zc8JF0O6c

My wife and I were talking about how when we were kids we were way edgy and would never be like our parents, hating on all the new good stuff coming out, but here I am, vehemently hating the music teenagers listen to

Careful Drums fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 30, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The most popular rap song in my (mostly white) high school was Nelly's Country Grammar so I'm fine with the grim mumble rap.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

The most popular rap song in my (mostly white) high school was Nelly's Country Grammar so I'm fine with the grim mumble rap.

that reminds me, our class song was going to be 'hey ya' (this was in 06) but then the admins realized it was an ironic song, the lyrics are pretty dark

they changed it to green days' 'good riddance' which just has an ironic title, which is apparently ok (its because the black kids picked hey ya and my school was racist as poo poo)

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord
mumble rap is bad. Yeah let's do a musical style that's all about the lyrics but how about we make the lyrics impossible to understand? This is a good artistic move

hawowanlawow posted:

Jack White is still pretty good but he's not a "band"

Vlonald Prump fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 30, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
A ton of goons listen to argle bargle metal and I listen to Skinny Puppy which is basically mumble rap. It's fine. It's not the end of the world.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough
I'm so cool and I'm so groovy...when I go Bom Bom Bom.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Trap music is just like cloud rap, vaporware, synthwave, dubstep and witch house in that 90 percent of it is self referential riffing that is indistinguishable from anything else in the genre

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Trap music is just like cloud rap, vaporware, synthwave, dubstep and witch house in that 90 percent of it is self referential riffing that is indistinguishable from anything else in the genre

Jesus midway through that post I thought you were casting a spell

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Careful Drums posted:

that reminds me, our class song was going to be 'hey ya' (this was in 06) but then the admins realized it was an ironic song, the lyrics are pretty dark

they changed it to green days' 'good riddance' which just has an ironic title, which is apparently ok (its because the black kids picked hey ya and my school was racist as poo poo)

I graduated in 2009 and our class song was R Kelly's The World's Greatest. This was seven years AFTER his piss tape involving a minor.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Batterypowered7 posted:

Who has the worst English accent, and why is it Geordies?

Geordie accent is all right.

Birmingham is bad but at least it even has a bit of character about it compared to he south East.

Mumble rap is bad. Worse is that loving talk-sing thing they do where it sounds like a poor version of Kesha.

Papa Emeritus III posted:

Huh. I didn't know they were Swedish.

I guess that adds one more turd into the poo poo punch bowl of that song. I never understood it, lyrically, but now I can at least maybe blame the awful lyrics on them not speaking English well. I think.

As someone said earlier, music is going the way of Hollywood and pumping out poo poo for the foreign market, hence garbage lyrics. Meaning is irrelevant, as long as people can recognise enough words. There's even groups that are "aimed" at individual markers but they'll still put out bs lyrics in English. It's garbage.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Class song? We didn't have one of those. Our song for prom was "Heaven" and the techno whatever version had just come out. But no it was the old version.
What do they play at prom now? Meghan Trainors Sings the Standards?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

sebmojo posted:

I liked their first 2 albums a lot, X&Y was take-it-or-leave-it and Viva la Vida was a little better but everything else Coldplay has done has been pretty crap, especially in the last three years where they mainly seem to be content to collaborate on other artists' singles

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Buglord
Someone put on Death Grips at a party I was at recently and it was a total mood killer. What do people see in that band?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can I suggest that perhaps the worst musical thing of the 2010s is not a song but a trope?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN23lFKfpck

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vlonald Prump posted:

Someone put on Death Grips at a party I was at recently and it was a total mood killer. What do people see in that band?

I like them, but I can't quite qualify why. It's... interesting?

I cannot imagine putting them on at a party lmao

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
For rock right now I’m listening to Pop Evil which is good but yes the rock genre has been really spotty this decade.

Bitey Bunny
May 26, 2009

c h o m p

Vlonald Prump posted:

I think they're like lyrical shitposting and that's why people like them.

I personally don't, because if you're going to use your lyrics to shitpost at people, you should at least make it listenable. Screaming over hosed up jungle sounds for the sake of "irony" is terrible. But :lol: at having to listen to that at a party.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Most of these bad songs posted are bad but none are even in the same universe of bad as the democrat Fight Song, with the possible exception of that Theory of a Dead Man piece of poo poo that is somehow like a worse Nickelback.

The one with the screaming cowboys is pretty awful as a song but the screaming cowboys bring it back around to hilarious.

Lets Pickle fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 31, 2018

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I unironically appreciate people bringing up democrat fight song because sometimes I forget it exists, and it's just layers upon layers of awful, in a whole other league

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Justin Godscock posted:

For rock right now I’m listening to Pop Evil which is good but yes the rock genre has been really spotty this decade.

Pop Evil is coming to my town soon. I should go, yes?

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Buglord

Bitey Bunny posted:

I think they're like lyrical shitposting and that's why people like them.

I personally don't, because if you're going to use your lyrics to shitpost at people, you should at least make it listenable. Screaming over hosed up jungle sounds for the sake of "irony" is terrible. But :lol: at having to listen to that at a party.

The guy I suspect put it on is someone I know for a fact to be a goon

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

ElectricSheep posted:

I liked their first 2 albums a lot, X&Y was take-it-or-leave-it and Viva la Vida was a little better but everything else Coldplay has done has been pretty crap, especially in the last three years where they mainly seem to be content to collaborate on other artists' singles

actually the entirety of their musical output sucks

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Carnival of Shrews posted:

I'm so cool and I'm so groovy...when I go Bom Bom Bom.

gently caress you for reminding me that this existed, jfc

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
let's see...

the ed sheeran song with eminem where they talk about aborting a child
thunder by imagine dragons
also believer by imagine dragons
something just like this by the chainsmokers. it feels like they found that 'every song by the chainsmokers' video on youtube and leaned hard on it.
you may replace something just like this with honest
or any other chainsmokers song, really
this horrible weird version of zombie by the chainsmokers where the male singer replaces zombie with his name
all about that bass
look at what you made me do
work work work
fight song
anything by iggy azalea

it feels like the past two-three years have been really bad, kind of like the other poster said where we're seeing the most obviously marketed forms of pop music. come on, eminem doing songs with ed sheeran, beyonce and rihanna?

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Country Grammar is a great song and a new classic and was a watershed album for southern rap so it’s definitely a Good Song but I think it’ll be hard to look back and think a lot of mumble rap is groundbreaking poo poo instead of just a race to the bottom

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Can I suggest that perhaps the worst musical thing of the 2010s is not a song but a trope?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN23lFKfpck

This is bad but imo not as bad as taking mediocre pop songs then making them all "squeaky".

I'm going to be noticing the millennial whoop everywhere now aren't i?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

here's a luddite country song I heard at work today for anyone who still doubts that it is the worst genre:

quote:

Quarter in a payphone
Drying laundry on the line
Watching Sun Tea in the window
Pocket Watch tellin' time
Seems like only yesterday, I'd get a blank cassette
Record the country countdown, 'cause I couldn't buy it yet
If we drove
All the way to Dallas just to buy an Easter dress
We’d take along a Rand McNally,
Stand in line to pay for gas
God knows that shifting gears
Ain’t what it used to be
I learned to drive that 55
Just like a queen, three on a tree
Hey whatever happened to,
Waitin' your turn
Doing it all by hand,
'Cause when everything is handed to you
It's all only worth as much as the time you put in
In all just seems so good the way we had it
Back before everything became, automatic
If you had something to say
You'd write it on a piece of paper
Then you put a stamp on it
And they'd get it three days later
Boys would call the girls
And girls would turn them down
Staying married was on the way to work your problems out
Waitin' your turn
Doing it all by hand,
It's all only worth as much as the time you put in
It all just seems so good the way we had it
Back before everything became, automatic yeah
Automatic
Let's pull the windows down
Windows with the cranks
Come on let's take a picture
The kind you gotta shake
Waitin' your turn
Doing it all by hand,
It's all only worth
As much as the time you put in
It all just seems so good the way we had it
Back before everything became, automatic yeah
Automatic

the lyrics aren't just dumb, they're actively trying to make the listener dumber

I wasn't kidding when I said they're like facebook memes in song form

• Locked thread