Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Uggh, they really did that? Gross.

A character on Discovery says they went to Elon Musk High School, and he's name dropped in a quick list of Important Science People alongside the likes of Newton and Hawking.

Mind you, this was written and filmed before the start of Musk's spiral into unignorable insanity. Not that that helps much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Not shrouded in myth? Nobody knew where it was. In TFA Han says after he screwed up his own school Luke went searching for the original Jedi Temple.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was weird that they were just on the planet where Jedi were founded with their founding documents, and it's just a normal place that's not shrouded in myth or legend or anything. Even some natives sworn to the service of Jedi forevermore somehow. Weird place to go if you're in hiding and want to quit the force.

See I thought this was great. Like it's a place that used to be important, but times changed, and nobody cares now. The only person there is himself a Jedi trying to get back to his roots. A bit silly that those books hadn't fallen apart, but I guess they're space books.

There's tons of places right here on earth that used to be hella important and are just abandoned ruins now. No ancient society is still guarding Persepolis, because why would they?

nine-gear crow posted:

A character on Discovery says they went to Elon Musk High School, and he's name dropped in a quick list of Important Science People alongside the likes of Newton and Hawking.

Mind you, this was written and filmed before the start of Musk's spiral into unignorable insanity. Not that that helps much.

They should have brought him up in the context of being a space pioneer, but one who was fatally attached to the capitalist structures of the past.

next you'll tell me new Trek loves capitalism

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 1, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I keep thinking that Disney should have set their new Trilogy a century or more after Return of the Jedi. It would have given them a blank slate to do whatever they wanted, but I can understand they wanted to play it safe, and wanted to use the old actors when they still had them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that they were sorta trying to evoke the same thing as Dagobah, like "look at this fuckin' hole", but it doesn't feel so much like ancient ruins and more like a small town in Oklahoma. There's still plenty of people, they're just all boring. And you can still get like McDonald's. Like it's a mediocre planet, but not in an interesting way. I bet a lot of people would want to retire there.

It's one of those subversions to expectations I didn't have and by ironically being a boring place with nothing going on, it was legitimately just kind of a boring place with nothing going on, except also it was some kind of critically important place except not. I didn't think of the Jedi being all about their ancient ruins and writings before, but then they were and then they weren't. Burn it all down, why not. Who cares.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SlothfulCobra posted:

a small town in Oklahoma.

I'd take Dagobah, personally.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

It was weird that they were just on the planet where Jedi were founded with their founding documents, and it's just a normal place that's not shrouded in myth or legend or anything. Even some natives sworn to the service of Jedi forevermore somehow. Weird place to go if you're in hiding and want to quit the force.

The Empire knew where it was, too. Luke found the compass that led to the planet in one of Sheev's vaults, and Kylo had it on his desk next to his lightsaber when Luke tried to kill him, so presumably he knew how to get there, but just forgot.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

twistedmentat posted:

I keep thinking that Disney should have set their new Trilogy a century or more after Return of the Jedi. It would have given them a blank slate to do whatever they wanted, but I can understand they wanted to play it safe, and wanted to use the old actors when they still had them.

Star Wars is perpetually stretched over the tension between "space," with its attendant implication that individual humans are small compared to just how much stuff and emptiness there is all around them, and "opera," which centers all the drama of the story around a very small number of superlative people.

This was part of the reason it was cool to read the Star Wars Galaxy postmortems - making anything about Star Wars ends up pulling in two very different audiences, one that wants a universe/setting and one that wants Luke Skywalker/specific characters. I don't really think either desire is wrong, to be clear, but it's very hard to serve both of those.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tulip posted:

Star Wars is perpetually stretched over the tension between "space," with its attendant implication that individual humans are small compared to just how much stuff and emptiness there is all around them, and "opera," which centers all the drama of the story around a very small number of superlative people.

This was part of the reason it was cool to read the Star Wars Galaxy postmortems - making anything about Star Wars ends up pulling in two very different audiences, one that wants a universe/setting and one that wants Luke Skywalker/specific characters. I don't really think either desire is wrong, to be clear, but it's very hard to serve both of those.

It's sorta the same problem as Star Trek has, some people want to see stuff set in its universe, some people just want to see Kirk and Spock.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I fell asleep with youtube going and woke up to part 1/6 of a force awakens critique. It was about 20 minutes in and the dude was ranting about another youtuber’s dark souls review. Part 1/6 was 2h45 or so. I think I’d rather watch RoS.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Good interview with John Boyega which touches a bit on his experience with the films-

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/john-boyega-interview-2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I fell asleep with youtube going and woke up to part 1/6 of a force awakens critique. It was about 20 minutes in and the dude was ranting about another youtuber’s dark souls review. Part 1/6 was 2h45 or so. I think I’d rather watch RoS.

I think I know the dude you speak of. If it is in fact him, then know that he once made a literal 11 hour angry frothing response video to someone else's 20 minute long video where the person said "I didn't like the new Joker movie, I guess it wasn't for me."

Good rule of thumb: any critique video that goes on longer than the piece of media it's reviewing is usually always awful and a waste of everyone's time.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 2, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Good interview with John Boyega which touches a bit on his experience with the films-

This is a really good read. Thank you for sharing it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nine-gear crow posted:

I think I know the dude you speak of. If it is in fact him, then know that he once made a literal 11 hour angry frothing response video to someone else's 20 minute long video where the person said "I didn't like the new Joker movie, I guess it wasn't for me."

Good rule of thumb: any critique video that goes on longer than the piece of media it's reviewing is usually always awful and a waste of everyone's time.

Dude was really mad Jenny Nicholson didn't like Joker.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I love how the best defense people have of that video is "Well, :actually:, he only screamed about Jenny for about 4 hours of the video. The rest of it is just him and his friends repeating the same memes over and over again. You really should watch all 11 hours of it yourself before you comment on it :reject:"

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
The real rule of two is that there can be only two good star wars movies

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

drat horror queefs posted:

The real rule of two is that there can be only two good star wars movies

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

A really good example of how toxic some dudes are to women was from Jenny's recent video about buying her giant spider plush where she visited an old theme park that used to be/was still kind of Flintstones themed and some random dude accused her of being a fake Flintstones fan.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im trying to imagine a theoretical real Flintstones fan and Im picturing a grave because they're all dead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Barudak posted:

Im trying to imagine a theoretical real Flintstones fan and Im picturing a grave because they're all dead.

Yabba dabba doo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yabba dabba doo.

Yabba to dabba
Doo to doo

<coffin is placed on the side of the hearse, tipping it over>

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
A real Flinstones fan would just be a The Honeymooners fan, thus its a self defeating title.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

As a TLJ fan, I do think Finn's arc could've hit harder had the elevator scene and alternate Phasma scene was used; but it was assumed that the next movie would complete his arc. So with TROS being the final result, it's more than understandable to use TLJ as ground zero for said untrajectory.

But like holy poo poo TROS hosed everyone to the side, and from the looks of it here it sounds less like a JJ thing and more like executive meddling.

I mean how the gently caress to you go from this:

To this:

Jfc this stupid movie. Finn was done dirty.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

muscles like this! posted:

A really good example of how toxic some dudes are to women was from Jenny's recent video about buying her giant spider plush where she visited an old theme park that used to be/was still kind of Flintstones themed and some random dude accused her of being a fake Flintstones fan.

Yea, because there is no way a 28 year old woman would know what the Flintstones! It's not like they haven't been on TV in her lifetime!

I was thinking of the most fan wanky thing I could think of to insert into my head version of epIX and I figured out that when they go into Palpatines vault, they see displays of a lightsaber and tattered jedi robes. FInn goes up to one and pulls it down from the wall, igniting it showing a green blade. Rose does the same thing and its blue, then Poe and its purple. Finn says "I can hear the owner of it, in my head. Kitt Fisto he was known as. He was a jedi murdered by Palpatine." but at that moment, there is a noise from the vault, and a Destroyer Droid that is partially made up of General Grevious becomes active.

That still sounds better than what we got in RoS.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 3, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MasqueradeOverture posted:

As a TLJ fan, I do think Finn's arc could've hit harder had the elevator scene and alternate Phasma scene was used; but it was assumed that the next movie would complete his arc. So with TROS being the final result, it's more than understandable to use TLJ as ground zero for said untrajectory.

But like holy poo poo TROS hosed everyone to the side, and from the looks of it here it sounds less like a JJ thing and more like executive meddling.

I mean how the gently caress to you go from this:

To this:

Jfc this stupid movie. Finn was done dirty.

It makes me wonder who exactly made the call on tossing Duel of the Fates into the industrial shredder, and for what specific reason. And did anyone along the line have a panicked realization when they saw how The Rise of Skywalker was coming together and think "Oh poo poo, we should have just used Colin's script :nyoron:"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I feel like there's a trend of blockbusters getting focus grouped out of their original concept into a mess, then hastily reshot halfway back to the original concept.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

Fred killed them

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Atrocious Joe posted:

Fred killed them

Flintstones 2016 is so loving good

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
The flintstones comic was too good for this world.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never watched Rise of Skywalker, but from what I hear, it was hated by anyone who liked Last Jedi, perfectly assuring that the entire sequel trilogy as an item appeals to nobody.

I wonder what audience was most influential on their treatment of Finn's character, internet racists or chinese racists.

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, because there is no way a 28 year old woman would know what the Flintstones! It's not like they haven't been on TV in her lifetime!

To be fair, she looks a lot younger than she is.

But then again, if you're really going to curate "Flintstones fandom" then surely nobody under 70 when they could've seen the original Fintstones on TV is a true Flintstones fan and that random weirdo probably only saw Flintstones long after it was repackaged as a much narrower show targeted only at kids because everyone had forgotten that adults sometimes watch cartoons.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

True Flinstones fans smoke Winston cigarettes then wash it down with a Busch beer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVRO6GAfvzA&t=10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEZGaLlLfcY

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I never watched Rise of Skywalker, but from what I hear, it was hated by anyone who liked Last Jedi, perfectly assuring that the entire sequel trilogy as an item appeals to nobody.

I wonder what audience was most influential on their treatment of Finn's character, internet racists or chinese racists.

The Rise of Skywalker is kind of universally hated from my experience, regardless of one's stance on The Last Jedi. I've seen scattered blips of ":actually:, I kind of liked it", but largely it's regarded even worse than The Phantom Menace in people's personal rankings of the movies. It kind of deserves to be held up as an example of what happens when you make a reactionary movie to try and appease reactionaries with: everyone is going to come away displeased with it. The people whose approval you're chasing will never be happy anyway, and the people who liked what you did that pissed off all the grognards are going to feel deeply betrayed that you walked it back in a panic and left them twisting in the wind.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 3, 2020

Burns
May 10, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

It makes me wonder who exactly made the call on tossing Duel of the Fates into the industrial shredder, and for what specific reason. And did anyone along the line have a panicked realization when they saw how The Rise of Skywalker was coming together and think "Oh poo poo, we should have just used Colin's script :nyoron:"

Kathleen Kennedy, presumably.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I've heard speculation that Trevorrow was let go because Book of Henry bombed, but more likely what happened is that he only started working on Star Wars full time after he finished Book of Henry, and had conflicts with the studio about the story. His script had been in pre-production with the art department for several months by that point, so the studio probably had a while to compile notes, with the intention to have Trevorrow address them once he was fully on the movie.

Jack Thorne was brought on to do rewrites on Trevorrow's script, so Trevorrow seems to have been unable or unwilling to do what the studio wanted. Either way, he was also let go along with Trevorrow, and Abrams was brought back.

Since Trevorrow's draft leaked online, we can compare against the final film and maybe infer what the studio did or didn't want to include:

• Finn and Rose had a large subplot involving the Jedi Temple on Coruscant, culminating with Finn leading a citizen's revolt and Stormtrooper rebellion on the planet and Hux hilariously killing himself with Mace Windu's lightsaber. The idea of Finn meeting other likeminded Stormtroopers is in the final film, but Rose's role and all prequel references have been excised. The final confrontation between Rey and Kylo also took place on Mortis, a prominent planet from a Lucas-heavy arc of The Clone Wars.

• Splitting up the characters at all might have been something the studio wanted to avoid, as a lot of publicity for Rise of Skywalker made a big deal about the heroes being on an adventure together.

• Trevorrow included a romance subplot with Rey and Poe, while the studio seemed to be fully on board with Rey and Kylo. Trevorrow's script also made Kylo the ultimate villain of the movie. The studio may have felt this didn't really work, since Rise of Skywalker does include at least a few scenes with a redeemed Ben Solo fighting on the side of good.

• Trevorrow's script was written before Carrie Fisher's death, and Leia's role in the movie is almost totally incompatible with the footage reused for Rise of Skywalker.

There are some similarities between the two drafts though, which might be things that the studio wanted to include:

• Palpatine appears in a brief cameo as a hologram with a few lines - the studio may have wanted him in the movie from the beginning, but Trevorrow didn't want him to overshadow the story.

• In both versions, Kylo seeks out an ancient Sith Lord after discovering an artifact near Vader's castle.

• Leia dies after blasting remote Redemption energy at Kylo to turn him good in both versions of the movie. Kylo also brings Rey back from the dead after being redeemed in both scripts.

• Both versions have dead Jedi speak to Rey to help her defeat her final enemy - in Trevorrow's version it's just the ghosts of Luke, Obi-Wan and Yoda.

• One of the droids has a death fakeout in both versions. In Trevorrow's script it's R2,while Abrams chooses C-3PO.

• There's a chase scene with Rey and Poe that shares similarities with the speeder chase in Rise of Skywalker (though it's on water instead of in the desert).

• Both versions of the movie bring back the Knights of Ren, and give them a merchandisable ship.

• This is reaching, but a new toy in the form of an Orange X-wing appears in both. It's Poe's in Abrams' movie, while Trevorrow had Chewie flying it in the final battle.

Overall, while not objectively better, Trevorrow's script did seem to want to make Episode IX a finale for the entire saga, and brought in a lot of Prequel elements and even some prominent EU references, which may not have sat well with the studio's desire to ignore the Prequels as much as possible. Leia's role was also a big hurdle, since a big chunk of the movie is devoted to a subplot involving the Resistance trying to send an inspiring "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi" message from her across the galaxy to unite them against the First Order.

Robot Style fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 4, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bringing it back to Jenny Nicholson again, she actually did a readthrough of the Trevorrow script on her channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AGvXqviRys

She also did a readthrough of Alan Dean Foster's treatment of Episode 9 (which is bonkers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanyjLmB1Bs

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bringing it back to Jenny Nicholson again, she actually did a readthrough of the Trevorrow script on her channel.

She also did a readthrough of Alan Dean Foster's treatment of Episode 9 (which is bonkers)

https://youtu.be/TJGm8Sj7Qn8

And just for fun, she also looked at an allegedly professionally published Reylo fanfic that is clearly just The Last Jedi with "original" characters.

jas baylar

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

nine-gear crow posted:

https://youtu.be/TJGm8Sj7Qn8

And just for fun, she also looked at an allegedly professionally published Reylo fanfic that is clearly just The Last Jedi with "original" characters.

jas baylar

That fanfic is hilariously bad

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

The best part about the Foster readthrough is that she recorded it just before seeing the actual film... and a lot of her criticisms of Foster's treatment apply to both.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
it makes me sad seeing pre-ROS Jenny videos where she's excited about the film. Never thought I'd miss the halcyon days of 2019 but really, ROS was a harbinger of the worst year ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I'm rewatching Episode 2 for the first time in forever and this frame here is the perfect reason why I think the Prequels are better than the Sequels:

Here we se Dokuu, the apprentice of Sidious, confused as to where the jedi got their army because he has been working for his master to bring the republic down. This has been going on since episode 1 and ends in episode 3 and the whole trilogy is the story of how Palpatine manipulated the system and played both sides to take power. He's ordered a clone army ages ago knowing full well no one would let him field it except for an emergency and so he creates that emergency. It fits with what he does in Episode 6 with the fake totally not functional death star. Palpatine plans ahead and schemes and manipulates and that's what happens here.

Then you have the sequels that is one repetition of an old movie with no backstory, one that's just a big gently caress you to the one before and a third where palpatine just has 2000 star ships out of loving nowhere.

Edit: His plan in the prequels have so many things that can go wrong too and I love that. He's betting a lot on luck. He reminds me of Blackbeard in One Piece in the best way.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 4, 2020