Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I got a need.

A need for a speedy death.

I’ll gladly transfer to frontline vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Cracker King posted:

I got a need.

A need for a speedy death.

I’ll gladly transfer to frontline vehicle.

Alright when I get this thing loaded up you're switching over and anyone who wanted in without saying a specific job will be in as engineer

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Android brain sucking stuff

I thought if an android gets in the way of a human that is about to be brain sucked, it can itself. No worries if that's not right though! I'd still like to be an android.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TescoBag posted:

I thought if an android gets in the way of a human that is about to be brain sucked, it can itself. No worries if that's not right though! I'd still like to be an android.

Depends. Everything I've seen ever makes it seem like brainsuckers either can't see androids or just disregard them as targets (but not enemies) and try to path to someone else. In all fairness I've never set up an android blocking access to a real target and let it run up and try to do its thing. Maybe I'll load up a test mission.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Q: How many sectoids does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: No conclusive results were able to be recorded. All test subjects in the Alien Containment Facility died of injuries sustained during their capture by XCOM tactical squad.

Project Lightbulb requires more test subjects.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

All good things...

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The city is quiet.

Energy egg technology is analyzed, and we begin drawing up plans for the advanced physics lab, we're going to need it to get the control systems figured out in any kind of reasonable timeframe. Probably we'll have to build another base around it.

Alien infiltration remains at zero. But not everyone is friendly. Cyberweb, Transtellar, Sanctuary Clinic, and Energen are all unfriendly and could decide XCom is more trouble than it's worth.

None of these groups are outright heavy hitters, usually. If they go hostile we may well end up with corporate hit squads rolling in. The bigger problem is that transtellar is the corp that controls transport and shipping, so if we hire anyone or buy anything we'll have to go pick it up manually which is a pain in the rear end. Cyberweb is the producer for targeting computers which we need to be able to shot ufo good. Sanctuary Clinic and Energen don't directly provide anything we can use, but they do own a bunch of buildings and if they go hostile they will deploy security whenever we're around.

It doesn't seem like these guys have any enemies that are glad we're not on great terms, or at least for now they're staying neutral with us and waiting to see how things play out.

Next biology research:
  1. Brainsucker Pods: These pods contain a dormant alien creature
  2. Multiworm Egg Autopsy: This stationary alien lifeform appears to be some form of alien egg
  3. Multiworm Autopsy: The multiworm corpse decays rapidly, consumed by its own defense mechanisms. If research is not undertaken soon then we will not be able to preserve the remains
  4. Hyperworm Autopsy: The hyperworm corpse is extremely heavy for its size and appears to be a primitive creature
  5. Chrysalis: the study of a live alien chrysalis could represent a significant advance in our knowledge of the alien life cycle
  6. Anthropod Autopsy: the anthropod is the alien creature that most resembles human form
  7. Anthropod: the anthropod is a robust humanoid alien soldier
  8. Spitter Autopsy: this ungainly creature has a huge funnel for propelling a deadly liquid
  9. Spitter: the spitter is humanoid in form but has a funnel shaped head
the hyperworm is still the one that is supposedly critical and about to rot but we still got an example to chop up and look at
e: multiworm, not hyperworm

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 20, 2021

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Aw yeah boiiii we rollin and such forth.

Let's hit those hyperworms up before they go bad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm hyper.... hyper for worms

voting hyperworm

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Multiworm Autopsy. To answer all the crucial questions, like “Can these be used as sleeping bags?” Because my standard-issue bunk still doesn’t have any standard-issue blankets despite repeated requests.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Spitter. See whats up with the funnel headed guy and his alien liquids

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Do the multiworm autopsy before it breaks down.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

HBar posted:

Multiworm Autopsy. To answer all the crucial questions, like “Can these be used as sleeping bags?” Because my standard-issue bunk still doesn’t have any standard-issue blankets despite repeated requests.

+1 to this if we can have a tactical nap in one of these might be a game changer!

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
cut that multiworm up

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
gently caress.

http://i.imgur.com/Uouj2iY.gifv

Plumps has been shot down, and we lost one of the bikes. Worse than that they were able to blow their payload directly into the Bosch Institute:

Even worse, we failed to down the UFO.
Deploying all rookies for vocational training...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Do we have swords yet

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

For those about to die we salute you

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
AAaaiiiieeeeeee!!..

Ah well, if theres any spots for a ghost recruit i'll just be sort of floating around the general area

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Plumps posted:

AAaaiiiieeeeeee!!..

Ah well, if theres any spots for a ghost recruit i'll just be sort of floating around the general area

If I live long enough to finally acquire the accurséd sword, I will name it after you so that your angry spirit may be used to stab aliens

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Angry Diplomat posted:

Do we have swords yet

nope, we're still pretty early in. We might be able to steal some if we raid a munitions plant and want to make powerful enemies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfAZiYNUl9A
http://i.imgur.com/tvzXaab.gifv

zen apparently has the gps turned off and i have to handhold the guys to the mission zone. Hbar makes first contact, and our crack team of Savage & TK42 absolutely fail to land a hit on a casually strolling brainsucker.
https://i.imgur.com/Diozk8E.gifv

Secret of steel is able to recover a weird artifact. It also seems that the aliens have figured out human smoke grenade technology. He proceeds in and bumps directly into a blue. I have muffler move to cut em off at the pass. Flight squad finds more aliens, but not the brainsucker that was waltzing around earlier.
https://i.imgur.com/L1gnp4u.gifv

I sent sloth and Danger-Pumpkin to scout the basement and they find the remains of a dead brainsucker near a civilian, and the exit.

Nope, that's not ominous.

Rabbi takes alien high explosives to the arm but powers through the pain and escapes. The rest of the squad kinda jacks around bullshitting. True american heros jihad joe & hbar KO one of the worms. Flight squad flails around trying to figure out a way to deal with this other worm and gets seriously injured.
https://i.imgur.com/lvzvP6L.gifv

We sweep through and try to find the last few aliens. This includes civilians and one of flight squad knocking themselves out like an idiot:
https://i.imgur.com/z1i1JtN.gifv

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

~rest in peace~
Electric Hobo: survived a hail of rockets to the face, but died from the mortal wounds.
Butterfly Valley: died to murderworm rampage.
best bale: fatally sucked.
Chillgamesh: sucked.
Grundma: sucked.
Olewithmilk: suicide bombed.
Plumps: shot down by a floating shitpile.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
This book would have been a hell of a lot better if Xcom had shown up.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Yvershek posted:

This book would have been a hell of a lot better if Xcom had shown up.

Imagining every school shooting as an XCOM op now.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

SniperWoreConverse posted:

our crack team of Savage & TK42 absolutely fail to land a hit on a casually strolling brainsucker.

Flight squad flails around trying to figure out a way to deal with this other worm and gets seriously injured.

one of flight squad knocking themselves out like an idiot

:downs: :downs:
ELITE FLIGHT SQUAD REPRESENT

I just thought that was a good time for a snooze, you know?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Can I put my stack of quarters on top of the OP's monitor to put my name down for a spot on the team? I'll be a science nerd too I'm not picky.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lux Animus posted:

Can I put my stack of quarters on top of the OP's monitor to put my name down for a spot on the team? I'll be a science nerd too I'm not picky.

on list

SavageMessiah posted:

:downs: :downs:
ELITE FLIGHT SQUAD REPRESENT

I just thought that was a good time for a snooze, you know?

TACTICAL NAPPING ACTION

anyway things are starting to boil over, it must not have been as quiet as I first assumed.
https://i.imgur.com/af7l5a2.gifv
Psyke is attacking Diablo. Somehow they blow up a huge part of a police station and this doesn't cause a cop rampage.

Intel is indicating a problem in the sanctuary clinic. Seems we failed to take out all the aliens in the last mission, and some escaped into the city.

Next to the school is a hospital, it's possible they slunk thru the sewers or something and made it north. We can investigate for life forms, but the clinic is already unfriendly to us and if it's a false alarm then they might go outright hostile.

Investigate Nightingale Tower? y/n

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Y the hell not

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

gently caress em up. Y

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

All you fuckers just need to learn to run away like me! Tactical wimpyness has kept me alive!

And Y, do that poo poo.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Do it, but only if there's lots of open space I can zoom around in with my loving JET PACK.

I signed up to fly, not to schlep around on the ground like a loser!

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Y and steal all their sanitizer.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
http://i.imgur.com/IDeyDvX.gifv
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BUEBciQEHg
It's a kind of big map, and there are two floors, but we're able to quickly sweep about 2/3 of it, flight mode is actually pretty important because the surgery zone can be floated over instead of crawling over each bloody bed

HBar spots some eggs that we ignore for now. Then spots some loving worms but doesn't have enough TUs to detonate them. They don't seem to notice us and we're able to vaporize some expensive looking medical equipment. Two goons walk directly past a dangerous life form before HWC realizes what's up and electroshocks it.
https://i.imgur.com/iaWswdf.gifv

Small mission. Dunno if this is all the aliens or if more spread out while we were loving around, only time will tell.

Biology pulls through:

Fuckin sick
    Next biology research:
  1. Brainsucker Pods: These pods contain a dormant alien creature
  2. Multiworm Egg Autopsy: This stationary alien lifeform appears to be some form of alien egg
  3. Hyperworm Autopsy: The hyperworm corpse is extremely heavy for its size and appears to be a primitive creature
  4. Chrysalis: the study of a live alien chrysalis could represent a significant advance in our knowledge of the alien life cycle
  5. Anthropod Autopsy: the anthropod is the alien creature that most resembles human form
  6. Anthropod: the anthropod is a robust humanoid alien soldier
  7. Spitter Autopsy: this ungainly creature has a huge funnel for propelling a deadly liquid
  8. Spitter: the spitter is humanoid in form but has a funnel shaped head
  9. The Alien Genetic Structure: Investigate the genetic relationships between Alien life forms

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
9 gross

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

9, understanding how they reproduce is the first step towards some sweet alien lovin’.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Awesome! I guess it's fair to passive aggressively rest on my laurels from here on out!

I did my part, can you say you did yours?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Finally, now we can really get cracking. In order to build the new lab we need A poo poo Ton of Money.
    Next Project?
  1. Alien Artifact: A hand held alien beam weapon
  2. Light Disruptor Beam: A beam weapon deployed on alien craft
  3. Alien Propulsion System: Alien craft propulsion
  4. Alien Control System: Alien craft guidance system
  5. UFO type 3: Alien inter-dimensional craft. The purple one.
Gonna recommend we stick with propulsion and control systems, the sooner we can get those figured out, the sooner we can build our own ships. We're already pretty severely outgunned in the air but are ok on the ground.

Meanwhile I bought some lovely interceptors to replace the blown up ones, and Psyke raided the cops.

There's another issue:

That last mission did very little to stem the tide of aliens in the city. There are 3 or 4 different buildings and it seems like some aliens escaped back into that school. They're also reproducing in the hospital or in one of the nearby apartments or the procreation park. In the same neighborhood is a Cult compound. e: to make things even more complicated these charts are always slightly out of date. The aliens in the school could have died off without hitting the critical mass they need to keep growing, for example.

Next Move?
  1. Raid: Temple of the Visitors. Owner: Cult of Sirius. Function: Temple of Sirius
  2. Investigate: Atlantis Apartments. Owner: Sanctuary Clinic. Function: Apartments
  3. Investigate: Garden of Delights. Owner: Sanctuary Clinic. Function: Procreation Park
  4. Investigate: Nightingale Tower. Owner: Sanctuary Clinic. Function: Hospital
  5. Investigate: Bosch Institute. Owner: Lifetree. Function: School.
  6. Ignore all this and wait for the Senate to give us enough money to build the research lab.
The aliens got us good by targeting the Clinic. Those guys do not like us, hypothetically have very important facilities, have a lot of buildings very close together, and if we guess wrong with our investigations they will go hostile.

Because of the difficulty level and some other stuff they may actually try and attack our bases with mercs. If they don't get aggressive for as long as they are hostile whenever we try to investigate they will use their security teams to try and kill our guys -- even if there are aliens. If you want I can post the data dumps for what each kind of building supposedly does.

The lab requires more than an entire week to build, so if it's at all possible we should figure out a way to pay for it right now. We get paid in a day or two, it's 17:00 Friday and i forget if payday is midnight now or at the beginning of Sunday or what.

We need at minimum $25,000 if we build this lab in the same base as the big biolab, so in order to fund this we need perhaps 5 illegal cyberdrugs from a raid, and most raids have given 3-4 iirc. If we could somehow swing 10 we could potentially get the new lab in a new base focused on physics research. Cramming all this stuff into one or two bases is asking for an insane setback if someone gets pissy and blows up the building. It's all tradeoffs.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 22, 2021

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
The aliens are obviously loving in the procreation park.

3C

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

3 F

I'd like to see us get stronger before we piss off more people. If the aliens get more of a strangle hold, then I guess move in if we need to.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

3 a if we need to do a raid to try and get some money, don't think we can afford to wait so any option but F imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

3 C

Gotta hit up gently caress park