Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pretty incredible how good pikmin 2 still is. sometimes when you revisit an old game, you realize it actually sucks now and your fond memories of it were selectively hiding all the parts that don't hold up anymore, but pikmin 2 is solidly 95% as good as my very rose-colored recollection of it.

The HD port however has destroyed art forever by removing the song pikmin used to sing in a group of 20 of each type, removing the product placement, and removing the fart song from citadel of spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Owl Inspector posted:

The HD port however has destroyed art forever by removing the song pikmin used to sing in a group of 20 of each type, removing the product placement, and removing the fart song from citadel of spiders

Why the hell would they do this? :psyduck:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pikmin 4 has some weird design choices. Stuff that would be incredible quality of life improvements that don’t matter all that much.

First are caves, which are weird because you can’t get more pikmin unless the game gives them to you, but since you can re-enter a specific level without fuss…what is the point of that restriction? In Pikmin 2 caves removed time and instead challenged your ability to preserve Pikmin. Pikmin 4 emulates that, but the rewind feature means that even on the first run-through losing pikmin isn’t a concern.

Then you have the white and purple onions, which would be useful in Pikmin 2, but because you can just travel straight to the final floor of Submerged and farm purples, the infamous 1000 weight treasure is hardly a concern compared to 2’s counterpart.

It feels like the devs were conflicted about making the game too hard for fear of alienating players like previous entries, and it shows in some of the weird design and why we got Olimar’s Tale as a sort of treat to the old-school fans. I can definitely sympathize when you have to bring back a franchise not only after a decade of absence, but one that never really found major success. The devs likely felt pulled in all kinds of directions, and it shows here and there.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Thinking of doing an Oatchi-free run. Is that even possible? Besides needing him to hop now and then.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

The HD port however has destroyed art forever by removing the song pikmin used to sing in a group of 20 of each type

What!? Really?? I just replayed it but was doing a challenge run so I never actually had a full group like that to test it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Regy Rusty posted:

What!? Really?? I just replayed it but was doing a challenge run so I never actually had a full group like that to test it.

I wonder if it was some copyright thing? Which might also explain why all the products are generic now. Maybe? The no-name battery threw me for such a loop on the first level of Pikmin 2.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

I wonder if it was some copyright thing? Which might also explain why all the products are generic now. Maybe? The no-name battery threw me for such a loop on the first level of Pikmin 2.

The products makes some sense I guess if things have changed enough between 2004 and now that they didn't wanna put actual products in.

Actually, looking it up, Ai no Uta - the song the Pikmin sing - was composed by an outside group so yeah I guess it was a licensing thing. That sucks.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Pants Donkey posted:

caves [...] but since you can re-enter a specific level without fuss

White and purple onions [...] but because you can just travel straight to the final floor of Submerged and farm purples
I didn't do either of those things during my playthrough though.

re-entering caves and rewinding are the game being polite to you, you don't have to use them

Rewinding in the open maps is also odd because it puts you back to base with all your far-flung Pikmin. Arguably exploitable, but if you want the game to be harder just don't rewind?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Once I finish getting pink flowers on the rest of pikmin 2 challenge mode it'll be onto pikmin 3. Thoughts on ultra spicy difficulty? I wouldn't mind some extra pressure but the one time I played through the game was years ago and it was coop, so I really don't remember almost anything and won't know how to optimize the maps. does the enemy health increase compared to hard make it feel like a slog at all?

DioGenesis
Feb 19, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Thinking of doing an Oatchi-free run. Is that even possible? Besides needing him to hop now and then.
I'm nearing the end of a minimal-Oatchi run and it's surprisingly close to possible to beat the game without him. I haven't done the final cave yet, but aside from the tutorial I've only found two required uses; jumping into the safe for the dandori battle in Hero's Hideaway and jumping across the flowers (mushrooms?) in Primordial Thicket for the last dandori battle. I did have to grind a few cave enemies for extra sparklium to get out of Sun Speckled Terrace and creatively bomb myself to get both Koppaites in Giant's Hearth, but otherwise there's plenty of treasures within reach and you can easily get to the first three battles on foot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

Once I finish getting pink flowers on the rest of pikmin 2 challenge mode it'll be onto pikmin 3. Thoughts on ultra spicy difficulty? I wouldn't mind some extra pressure but the one time I played through the game was years ago and it was coop, so I really don't remember almost anything and won't know how to optimize the maps. does the enemy health increase compared to hard make it feel like a slog at all?

Nah it's a fun different way to experience the game, not a slog at all. Really the biggest change is that the fruit juice being halved means you really have to book it to the mireclops after Louie steals all your juice because there really is not a lot of juice available (unless you deliberately leave a ton of fruit uncollected in the first area I guess).

I'm probably gonna get to a Pikmin 3 replay soon as well. I've been doing challenge runs of each game (though I have to invent my own rules) and I think I'm gonna do Ultra Spicy and limit myself to only 20 Pikmin of each type as that's the max of any type you need to collect all the fruit.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 3, 2023

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

Jet Jaguar posted:

As far as I've read that's pretty much why. Which is crazy when you think about it, there's basically no better free advertising. I've never had such as strong urge to possess random things like deviled ham or shoe polish or Snapple or whatever than when I found those treasures!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Owl at Home posted:

As far as I've read that's pretty much why. Which is crazy when you think about it, there's basically no better free advertising. I've never had such as strong urge to possess random things like deviled ham or shoe polish or Snapple or whatever than when I found those treasures!

I'd imagine it's probably more hassle than it's worth for a game that's available in semi-perpetuity vs something that got "just" physical-print runs back in 00's? At some point licensing could expire again, and then you gotta patch some/all of it out anyway.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I feel like its also a huge hassle dealing with all of these companies in the first place since they have their own guidelines as to how their products are displayed.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

started pikmin 4 and wow, what the gently caress is up with the pacing of this game? can't go 3 steps without someone calling me up or yet another random feature that needs to be tutorialized. I just want to explore a hostile alien planet and do pikmin stuff but the game really seems to think that I'm super invested in the bullshit antics of this massive crew and home base.

In Pikmin 1 you were in the first day and on the clock within like 15 minutes, it feels like they added a mountain of extraneous features for hardly any gameplay benefits

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

started pikmin 4 and wow, what the gently caress is up with the pacing of this game? can't go 3 steps without someone calling me up or yet another random feature that needs to be tutorialized. I just want to explore a hostile alien planet and do pikmin stuff but the game really seems to think that I'm super invested in the bullshit antics of this massive crew and home base.

In Pikmin 1 you were in the first day and on the clock within like 15 minutes, it feels like they added a mountain of extraneous features for hardly any gameplay benefits

They'll stop at about the hour mark.

They're also fully skippable which is good cause lol if you think I give a ding dong about its story.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

There are concessions to be made in order to get the game to be more accessible to a wider audience. The games really haven’t sold that well. I was showing Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 4 to a group of friends my age and the ones who never played video games were very intimidated by Pikmin 1 just throwing you into it. (I’m sure they would have figured it out eventually) But Pikmin 4 seemed to hold their hand comfortably and they were really loving it.

I find 4 too hand holdy too but I understand why and like it’s been said at least you can skip all the dialogue.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

One gripe about pikmin 2 I'd forgotten is just how many times it interrupts you during the first few days. In day 2, in the span of just 10-15 minutes you get interrupted for

- Breaking the first gate
- Approaching the cave that's directly past the gate
- Entering the cave
- Delivering the first dead enemy to the ship
- Approaching the hole to the next sublevel
- Approaching the globe half
- Approaching the purple candypops
- Approaching the geyser
- Getting a purple pikmin
- Delivering the globe half

You could definitely remove some of these without losing any information that isn't obvious. I only give it a pass because the ship rules and I don't mind getting more dialogue from it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Barudak posted:

They'll stop at about the hour mark.

They never stop, because you deal with this horseshit every time you finish a day, save a Leafling and cure one. I've been pounding the Skip button for days.

I'm in the Primordial Thicket and there's stuff missing but no new caves to explore. There was that area that said "A dead end? Weird." and I'm sure something will appear there but I have no idea as to what. Everything else is 100%, I've finished Olimar's thing and there's only the Sage Trials which can lick my balls. What am I missing?

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Did you beat the dandori battle in that zone? It's directly south of that dead end area near the bend in the path, you have to climb up a bit and cross a couple mushrooms to reach it. Once you've won and recovered the castaway from it you can come back the next day and there will be a new cave at the dead end.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It somewhat slows down after a certain point to where I found it bearable. Either that or I just got numb to it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

President....my beloved

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
(very president voice) Tootoo!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

:hai:

That's everything in pikmin 3 done, definitely a great entry and the first time they were really able to enable the kind of multitasking it felt like the series always wanted to have. I like having a bit of time pressure and a reason to actually optimize, although the time limit is so generous that my ultra spicy run still had 28 days remaining with all fruits collected. The challenge missions are well done and getting platinum is where you really have to demonstrate your ability to multitask.

Out of 1-3 the game easily has the best controls for selecting the pikmin type you want to use and the charge button is a great addition, but I found that it wasn't actually a perfect replacement for the swarm controls that they removed and it's really obnoxious to deal with several targets at once compared to pikmin 2. there's also a lot of really weird annoyances like a frequent issue where the captain you're controlling either randomly stops moving or gets stuck moving in the same direction for a moment regardless of where you're pointing (if it happened in any other game I would suspect a controller/connection issue but it's not). Getting the maximum number of pikmin to carry an object is strangely difficult as they often just refuse to attach to it, which was pretty infuriating when it kept me from getting platinum on a few challenge map attempts by a few seconds. I also really hate the whistle being 3D and having to be held down to work on flying/attached pikmin sometimes. I know why they did it, but I would have preferred having the same whistle as 2.

Hopefully pikmin 4 will be the one to finally nail all the minutia of controls and pikmin behavior. I think the ideal would be somewhere between pikmin 2 and 3, but I would still say 2 is the best-feeling one I've played overall. going to start 4 now!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

drat, did they advertise this pikmin 1 mode in pikmin 4 at all? This seems cool as heck. it's nice to have some time pressure again since the P4 campaign really doesn't give you any reason to dandori like this.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Owl Inspector posted:

drat, did they advertise this pikmin 1 mode in pikmin 4 at all? This seems cool as heck. it's nice to have some time pressure again since the P4 campaign really doesn't give you any reason to dandori like this.

Don't think so since it's technically only unlocked in the postgame and the only other hint of its existence is an entry in one of the help menus. I also generally enjoyed it more than the main campaign.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Feeling extremely tilted at completing almost everything there is to do in pikmin 4 and suddenly being rewarded with an item that enables the original directed swarm functionality from P1/P2, something I’ve been wishing I could do for the entirety of this game

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The upgrade systems really seems to imply a NG+ but then it just…doesn’t do that.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I hope they add a NG+. Even if it's just, no tutorials + buy from the entire upgrade list at once.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Replaying Pikmin 1 for the first time in like 10-15 years and loving the new controls for the most part, sans some muscle memory fighting them. Just wish that when you tapped R to select a type it'd hard-lock that type. Also got a little eager and accidentally threw a second yellow Pikmin right after a bomb-carrying one.

Been a long time since I lost one that way :smith:.

It was only Day 2, so at least I didn't get Olimar's very sad note about watching it die.

Also I kinda feel they coulda done a full HD remake asset-wise. I think the only models that aren't reusable from later games are the ship parts Well MOST of them anyway and Treasures in Pikmin 2. Well, and the maps themselves, but thats just a texture uprez really.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 22, 2023

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

1 would only be missing Goolix I think, but 2 has several regular enemies AND bosses that haven't reappeared since. It's also possible that the modern models don't line up perfectly with the original animation skeletons. Still doable, to be sure, but maybe more work than you're imagining it to be.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They did upscale some of the textures such as the ship and some of the treasures, just not all of them for some reason. it's very noticeable as some of them look very sharp while others weren't touched and look super blurry by comparison. the main thing that would have been nice to improve more is the terrain textures, but I do think there's a limit to how much you can get away with and have it still look good without changing the geometry too. the resolution of the textures on the old perfectly flat terrain in the emulator mod this video shows almost looks a little jarring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJwPqwTyoXA

I think the old games still look pretty nice with just the HD ports' screen resolution bump (plus pikmin 1 HD doesn't have frame drops anymore), but I was definitely impressed with how good pikmin 4 looks when I got to it. it might be the best-looking game on switch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cattail Prophet posted:

1 would only be missing Goolix I think, but 2 has several regular enemies AND bosses that haven't reappeared since. It's also possible that the modern models don't line up perfectly with the original animation skeletons. Still doable, to be sure, but maybe more work than you're imagining it to be.

Typically animations are relative to the model's skeleton so that's a non-issue if legs are a little further apart or whatever. Besides, you could just use the newer model's animations anyway if needed, there's nothing different in the typical animations between a P1 Bulborb and P3 Bulborb.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I think Pikmin 4 would greatly benefit from NG+ yeah. The upgrades would be fun to play around with earlier. Even the joke upgrade you get from Louie that lets your captain count as 1 Pikmin for the purposes of carrying items could have some neat applications on certain challenge runs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Going back to Pikmin 1 is kinda interesting in hindsight; The Distant Spring honestly feels a little unfinished (Or at least got a bit of reworking from playtesting, etc), as there's several places with just nothing to them, and a few unique creatures plonked down in The Impact Site like they were done but didn't know what to do with them.

Honestly I'd have put the Goolix where the Smoky Progg's egg is as a parts-holding boss for the area, instead of the Windy Blowhog floating about there, and put the Goolix at The Impact Site instead for a real fun surprise and challenge.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly I'd have put the Goolix where the Smoky Progg's egg is as a parts-holding boss for the area, instead of the Windy Blowhog floating about there, and put the Goolix at The Impact Site instead for a real fun surprise and challenge.

Did you mean Smoky Progg?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unreal_One posted:

Did you mean Smoky Progg?

Yes. :cripes:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

And that's 100% pikmin 4 with all platinum medals. I would literally die for Oatchi

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'd forgotten how brutal the fight against that Empress Bulblax in Frontier Cavern is in Pikmin 2. She's just constantly farting out babies that'll insta-eat your guys while you're just trying to GET to her.

Then you gotta hope you paced the swarm so mama will roll over them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The larva just have 1 HP so my strategy is to have a lone captain go in first to rip and tear. when they’re all dead you can bring up the other captain with all your pikmin and swap every few seconds to punch the new spawns. Once you start doing actual damage at her head you can bring the punch captain up and future larva can’t get to you fast enough before mom kills them.