Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

So I just grabbed me a pair of Graf 650s and they are sweeeett!

I have really liked the Graf skates that I have. My G50s run a little heavy, but they fit my feet a lot better than my old Bauers did and they pretty much felt broken in the first time I used them*. I know that you are a newer goalie, but if you've used other goalie skates before, then the shorter blade length on Graf's might feel a little weird at first, but you should adapt to it pretty quickly. I hope you enjoy your skates. Were you able to try them on locally or did you order them online?

*I did get them heat molded and replaced the stock footbeds with Yellow Superfeet. Graf does make some good footbeds, but the one's that came with my skates were thin and crappy, so I never used them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Aniki posted:

I have really liked the Graf skates that I have. My G50s run a little heavy, but they fit my feet a lot better than my old Bauers did and they pretty much felt broken in the first time I used them*. I know that you are a newer goalie, but if you've used other goalie skates before, then the shorter blade length on Graf's might feel a little weird at first, but you should adapt to it pretty quickly. I hope you enjoy your skates. Were you able to try them on locally or did you order them online?

*I did get them heat molded and replaced the stock footbeds with Yellow Superfeet. Graf does make some good footbeds, but the one's that came with my skates were thin and crappy, so I never used them.

I got them locally, tried them all on they feel amazing compared to anything I have skated hockey wise, period. A little pricey but I figured I will be playing ice/skating often enough that it's worth the extra price.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Surfing Turtle posted:

I got them locally, tried them all on they feel amazing compared to anything I have skated hockey wise, period. A little pricey but I figured I will be playing ice/skating often enough that it's worth the extra price.

Fit is the most important thing with skates, so that's good that you were able to find a place to try them on. Also, don't be afraid to try something on locally and either order it online or see if they'll price match, though generally the profiling, sharpening, and heat molding that local shops throw in should make up most if not all of the difference between a local shop and an online retailer.

Hazed_Red
Nov 5, 2003

Would you like to pet my evil monkey?

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

So since I have this week off inbetween sessions, I was going to try and get some of the nastiness out of my blocker and glove. I know someone posted it before, but was it just boiling water through where the hands were to restore some of the nash/leather? I don't remember if there was anything else.

Yes, just boil water in a pot and pour it through the inside of the glove. Pour directly on the surfaces that you want to clean the most thoroughly. It helps to have two pots going so that you're not having to wait as long between pours. Also, have something to catch the water in so you can inspect the color. When the water starts getting close to clear, you can stop. Stuff a towl in there to absorb some of the excess and then gently circulate cool air inside until it dries. Don't be in a hurry. Drying it too fast will shorten the life of the material and just end up crusty again.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Took the morning off of work and got on the ice for the first time since winter to try out my new leg pads (Vaughn Epic) before the season starts. Discovered how out of shape I am, but played pretty well, and the very different pads were nice after I started to get used to them. Can't wait for the season to start oh man

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Took the morning off of work and got on the ice for the first time since winter to try out my new leg pads (Vaughn Epic) before the season starts. Discovered how out of shape I am, but played pretty well, and the very different pads were nice after I started to get used to them. Can't wait for the season to start oh man

Where did you play today?

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

Where did you play today?

I went to open hockey at chelsea piers.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I went to open hockey at chelsea piers.

Is that free for goalies? Definitely want to try my Grafs out before Central Park season starts.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Surfing Turtle posted:

Is that free for goalies? Definitely want to try my Grafs out before Central Park season starts.

Yup, 12-120 every weekday. I'd go a lot more if I didn't have to miss half a day of work to do it.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Yup, 12-120 every weekday. I'd go a lot more if I didn't have to miss half a day of work to do it.

Aw drat definitely cant make that. I just don't want to go to a open hockey and embarrass myself since I play roller more.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

gently caress, my knee kind of hurts but it's way too late to find a sub for tonight.

Guess I'm playing standup. Bringing the goalie shooter tutor just in case though :(

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

By the way, my buddy's mom and dad had nothing but nice things to say about you from the preseason game. She went to the Colorado game yesterday (he always goes with my buddy), and they mentioned how nice you were. I got a laugh out of it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

An interesting thing. I got to the rink and my knee felt good. The guys who were on the ice ahead of me only had one goalie so they asked me if I wanted to come out and play. I was an hour early so I was a little hesitant because two hours of hockey + bad knee + out of shape doesn't typically equal funsies. Anyway, I got dressed in 10 minutes and hopped out on the ice and played pretty much an awesome game. I gave up a few 2 on 1s and one that I should have stopped but my pad was just slightly off the ice enough to let it slip through. My SV% was noticeably better; Not that I count it, but I could tell I was easily stopping a higher quantity of the shots I was facing. This wasn't some Sr. A team, but they were pretty good so I felt great after that 30 minutes of ice.

So the Zam comes out and I'm expecting to be winded because I typically start to feel it 30 minutes in. I chill out on the bench through the Zam and 2 minutes of warmup, come out and do another minute of warmup then proceed to play another great game.

The funny thing is, when the guy sounded the horn to call us off after our hour, I feel like I could have played another 30-45 minutes easy. I had energy to spare and was completely alert and responsive. I didn't have as good a game as I had hoped, but the pace of the game was entirely different. Zero defence and dozens upon dozens of 2 on 1s. I probably let in about 8 or 10 goals, though I definitely didn't feel bad about it.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my point is. I guess that I'm surprised by what a little warmup game can accomplish. If only I could play a 30 minute scrim before my regular ice time every week :ohdear:

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Had a scrimmage last night. Mostly C2 and clinic guys with some A and B leaguers scattered in there to up the game a bit. Unfortunately all of the A and B guys were on the other team. I played an amazing game even though I let up around ten goals or so. Luckily only one guy (an A leaguer) scored 8 of the goals, and I put one in on myself. The last remaining goal was bounced off of my D mans chest, who was actually covering my back. That guy got laughed at pretty bad, was rather funny. Our team had 8 shots with 5 goals, so at least my SV% was a lot better with 57 shots.

My hip joints are starting to hurt. My knees are shot. I'm only 26 and been playing for like 2 1/2 years. I am so hosed. I really need to get to the gym and do some strength training.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

By the way, my buddy's mom and dad had nothing but nice things to say about you from the preseason game. She went to the Colorado game yesterday (he always goes with my buddy), and they mentioned how nice you were. I got a laugh out of it.

They were fun to chat with! PM me if you have spare tickets in the reg. season, they're great seats.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
So we're wearing "gray with black" jerseys this upcoming season and I have red/black pads and now I want new pads that actually match :smith:

E: Like these - http://www.goaliemonkey.com/vaughn-goalie-leg-pads-velocity-3-7700-single-break-pro.html

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

They were fun to chat with! PM me if you have spare tickets in the reg. season, they're great seats.

I actually had a spare to the Colorado game, and I didn't even think of asking you til they mentioned you during the game. I'll shoot you a PM of games I'm going to that no one's called yet if anything interests you.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Whelp, just confirmed with the local shop I'm going to get a new pair of V3 Velocities, anyone want to buy a pair of slightly use 34" Sherwood 9990's in White/Red/Black? Figure I might as well offer 'em up here first and then try to sell on eBay

real_scud fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 20, 2010

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

real_scud posted:

Whelp, just confirmed with the local shop I'm going to get a new pair of V3 Velocities, anyone want to buy a pair of slightly use 34" Sherwood 9990's in White/Red/Black? Figure I might as well offer 'em up here first and then try to sell on eBay

Pro or senior?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
I just wanted to say that I just flew back from Boston and the Illinois Hockey team was flying back with me from some tournament. While picking up their luggage two kids were sitting alone away from the team. When the sticks came on the conveyor belt they each grabbed a goalie stick. I thought it was hilarious that the 2 goalies were sitting away from the rest of the team. loving weird goalies :v:

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
That happens on a lot of upper level tier teams tbh. Was it Team Illinois?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Deer_fire posted:

That happens on a lot of upper level tier teams tbh. Was it Team Illinois?

Yea they were all rowdy about winning and the stewardess asked them over the intercom "Why they were so happy that they beat the Boston girl's hockey team". Then she yelled go Bruins. It was weird. Never ever heard hockey mentioned in public before, like ever.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
A couple years back TI played the team I was practicing squading with, TI was ranked like 3rd in the nation and they tied the team I was affiliated with (that was ranked like 25th or something) 1-1. In the postgame handshakes at least 1 person was like "not bad for a team from Hawaii." Last I checked the San Jose Jr. Sharks weren't from Hawaii but hey at least it became the inside joke for the team for the rest of the year.

Edit: Wow, actually come to think of it, that was like 5-7 years ago. Time flies.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 20, 2010

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Surfing Turtle posted:

Pro or senior?
Senior.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

real_scud posted:

Senior.

What's your email I may be interested and have some questions.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Surfing Turtle posted:

What's your email I may be interested and have some questions.
scud AT scudly.com

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Polish posted:

My hip joints are starting to hurt. My knees are shot. I'm only 26 and been playing for like 2 1/2 years. I am so hosed. I really need to get to the gym and do some strength training.

Yeah my knees are still sore for several days after I play. Not REALLY sore but definitely sore for far too long after I've played. Ditto for hip joints, which I've never had a problem with until I started playing.

I absolutely hate going to the gym but if I need to start going so that my knees and hips actually recover in 1-2 days instead of basically being sore all week then I guess I'll have to do it too.

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007
This needs to be reposted

This just adds to the ever growing list of reasons why I hate the gently caress out of this cat.

I mean seriously: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1021810/1/index.htm

This smugly bastard stole 14 games from Wendell Young and he'll never get those back.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

Pillbug
I always felt bad for the guy because of the whole "eternally injured #1 overall draft pick not being able to showcase himself" but, at least in the few interviews with him I've seen and that I've read, he does seem like a bit of a jerk.

Then again I love Sean Avery precisely because he's a hilarious jerk, so chalk one up to hypocrisy I guess.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

aejix posted:

I always felt bad for the guy because of the whole "eternally injured #1 overall draft pick not being able to showcase himself" but, at least in the few interviews with him I've seen and that I've read, he does seem like a bit of a jerk.

Then again I love Sean Avery precisely because he's a hilarious jerk, so chalk one up to hypocrisy I guess.

Sean Avery is hilarious on a different level though lol.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

aejix posted:

Yeah my knees are still sore for several days after I play. Not REALLY sore but definitely sore for far too long after I've played. Ditto for hip joints, which I've never had a problem with until I started playing.

I absolutely hate going to the gym but if I need to start going so that my knees and hips actually recover in 1-2 days instead of basically being sore all week then I guess I'll have to do it too.

Playing goalie, especially the butterfly style, puts a lot of stress on your hips and knees. Have you been doing any stretching? If not, do some searches for dynamic hip stretches and that should give you a good starting point.

As for your knees, weight lifting will help a lot. Another thing that I just started trying yesterday is using an elastic band attached about 3-4 inches below your knee. You stay in a squat position, basically your stance, and then you shuffle while about 20 steps in one direction and then you shuffle back 20 steps in the other direction. It's supposed to help build lateral support in your knees and it's apparently an exercise that is popular with basketball players. I've only done it once so far, so I'll have a better idea if it helps or not in a few weeks.

Edit: Also, there are great videos by Maria Mountain(?) or something like that that were posed earlier in the thread which do a great job of explaining stretches that are useful for goalies.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 21, 2010

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah I do a fair bit of stretching (not just before & after games either) and my knees still feel really sore/tight so either I'm doing the wrong type of stretches, it's a strength problem, or both. It's weird though - I never see anyone else stretching in the changerooms, like, at all.

Thanks for reminding me about those other vids - I gotta upgrade for search. I still do the one where you roll a tennis ball around under your foot for a minute each side. I'll have a look for some of those elastic bands you mean and try that one out - these ones?

I've also started forcing myself to do at least 10 minutes of juggling a day in the hopes that it will improve my hand-eye a bit. I can do 3 balls no problems now but 4 totally fucks me up. (gay joke here)

I'd post the video but I'm at work so it won't let me find it - the Ryan Miller 'questions will become answers' video shows him doing this drill where he's throwing tennis balls against a wall while moving side to side. Anyone else able to explain that drill? It looks pretty straightforward - is it just 'throw balls against the wall and catch with same hand you throw it with while moving side to side as fast as possible, increasing distance from wall as you get better?' I figure it would be better than juggling in that it's also mixing in lateral movement + cardio instead of solely hand-eye.

ME ME ME

aejix fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 22, 2010

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'm always pretty religious about stretching before playing. (My standard is doing some body weight squats/walking lunges/one leg squats to warm up the muscles, do a ton of stretches before putting any equipment on, put everything on, stretch a bit while the zam is finishing up, do a couple fast laps, take some warm up shots mostly without going down, then do a ton more stretches including the more dynamic stuff that's easy on ice.)

Even with all that, I have constant knee problems (seems like patellar tendinitis/jumper's knee). It doesn't help that I'm a delivery driver getting in and out of my car full time. I really need to get back into some strength building so my knees don't explode.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

aejix posted:

Yeah I do a fair bit of stretching (not just before & after games either) and my knees still feel really sore/tight so either I'm doing the wrong type of stretches, it's a strength problem, or both. It's weird though - I never see anyone else stretching in the changerooms, like, at all.

Thanks for reminding me about those other vids - I gotta upgrade for search. I still do the one where you roll a tennis ball around under your foot for a minute each side. I'll have a look for some of those elastic bands you mean and try that one out - these ones?

I've also started forcing myself to do at least 10 minutes of juggling a day in the hopes that it will improve my hand-eye a bit. I can do 3 balls no problems now but 4 totally fucks me up. (gay joke here)

I'd post the video but I'm at work so it won't let me find it - the Ryan Miller 'questions will become answers' video shows him doing this drill where he's throwing tennis balls against a wall while moving side to side. Anyone else able to explain that drill? It looks pretty straightforward - is it just 'throw balls against the wall and catch with same hand you throw it with while moving side to side as fast as possible, increasing distance from wall as you get better?' I figure it would be better than juggling in that it's also mixing in lateral movement + cardio instead of solely hand-eye.

ME ME ME

More like these. A bunch of different companies make them, but basically they are an elsatic band with two padded straps that you wrap around your ankle or leg. You will want to find one with large sized cuffs, since the medium sized one I got just barely fits. There should be a bunch of different leg exercises that you can do with those things, but the shuffle exercise is the one that translates to goal the easiest.

Not a lot of people do off ice stretching (at the rink), I typically do, but sometimes I don't budget enough time to do that. More skaters will do one ice stretching, but it does seem like most people just skate around take some shots and don't worry about it. I prefer doing both off ice and one ice stretching, nothing overly insane, but it just helps me stay loose and when I am playing open hockey, I don't like wasting a lot of energy on warmups.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, how do you guys get yourself psyched up when you just don't feel like playing? 11pm hockey and I'm REALLY not feeling it, but it's way too late to get a sub.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I work on technique and fundamentals. Its how I ended up having the best numbers on the team I didn't care about last session out of the three.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Ugh, how do you guys get yourself psyched up when you just don't feel like playing? 11pm hockey and I'm REALLY not feeling it, but it's way too late to get a sub.
I work on making sure I've had 3-4 beers before my 11pm games and trying to win some rounds of trivia before it as well.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Ugh won a 9-8 stinker tonight. I let in some pretty lame goals. My biggest issue tonight though was I zoned out in the middle of the game. Like my mind went else where and my focus was just shot. Any tips on how to refocus if this happens?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This happened to me today. There were only 8 people at shinny today, so it was nothing but 2 on 0 breakaways. After what had to be the 20th goal (I'm not even joking) I just turned around and put my stick on the net because I had completely zoned out after repeated goals. Playing without my stick was a completely bizarre experience and snapped me right out of my daze. I'm not saying I did particularly better, but it got me thinking about my stance, my five-hole, my angles.

Obviously you can't do that in a real game where people are keeping score. Just thought it was kind of cool how changing something up completely refocused me.

But seriously, if the score was anything less than like 30-10 then I'd be absolutely shocked. That's just how bad I was. Not that I feel particularly bad about giving up a goal on a 2-0 mind you.

My (two) D offered to buy me a beer after the game, but I was ready for bed :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

real_scud posted:

I work on making sure I've had 3-4 beers before my 11pm games and trying to win some rounds of trivia before it as well.

Same. We've got a pretty good bar at the rink now. I like to get to the game an hour early and have a few beers before each game. Nothing better than drinking alone on a Wednesday night before going on the ice. :(

• Locked thread