Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

VTNewb posted:

It's a 1984 TY250.

Ah the TY, that makes sense. The nice thing about the older trials bikes is they do just fine and a run to ride on trails. Smaller tank can be an issue but not as much as current bikes.

Nice find, go splatter a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

orthod0ks posted:

I had a similar problem with mine. It turned out to be the visor that was hosed up. A new one worked perfectly fine.

I have two visors so I don't think that was it.

Back to this:

nsaP posted:

Then I got home and my piece of poo poo HJC that's been giving my trouble for the whole 8 months I've owned it finally hosed the dog. One of the plastic screws that holds in the visor mount backed itself out completely once, and even after replacing it and checking them all the time they'd still loosen up. The visor always felt like poo poo and would tweak and pop out. I sent HJC an email about getting a screw under warranty when it first happened and they told me to buy it myself, so I never bothered with the sticking visor or screws continuing to back themselves out.

Now when I got home after a ride this afternoon, I lifted the visor only to have the opposite side pop off. Usually it was the left, but this time it was the right. Not only had the same screw completely unscrewed itself, but the nut base for the other screw busted when I lifted the visor. I emailed HJC to see what they say but I'm not keeping my hopes up. We'll see.

I emailed HJC and they told me to talk to the place I bought the helmet. Weird I thought but whatever. I emailed newenough with pictures and a long explanation, and got a return email saying:

"Ok thanks for getting back with me. I spoke with our HJC rep and she is going to get a replacement shipped out to you today. It should take about 3-4 business days to get to you. If you need anything else let us know. "

I thought it was odd that they'd just send me a replacement helmet but whatever. A few days go past, and a replacement base plate kit shows up at my door.

:what:

The guy read thru a long rear end history of contacting HJC last year about a screw backing out of the base plate, all the new story and problems complete with pictures and explanation of the broken part, and somehow thought I needed only the base plate kit.

More that mildly loving annoying as well, when the first screw backed itself out and I emailed them about it, their rep sent me:

"As for the plate screws you can order that with the base plate screws. Sounds like it is time to order a new set of HJ-09 base plate kit. Which you can order these from any local HJC dealers or online retailers via google or yahoo search."

So apparently I had to buy my own plate kit then, but they have no problem sending one to me now that it's worthless to me! Annoyed.

Anyway they ended up sending me an RMA. Apparently I ship it to newenough, who ship it to hjc, who figure out what to do with it. Shipping is on me but it could be worse.

Got the bike put together too.

Any tips on waterproofing the cigarette lighter socket?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
lovely photo but heres my new '82 FT500 Ascot. I actually checked this thing out a long time ago but only bought it today. Its pretty small and tons of fun. Hoping to put some wider sweep flat tracker bars on it, XR500 Kickstart mechanism (these had notoriously bad start motors) and just leave it alone as my daily driver. Doing some bodywork and putting a round headlight on would be cool, but not absolutely necessary, since the dorky styling is already growing on me. Check out the XR500 exhaust system fabbed on to the side. This thing has had some crazy owners.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Color me jealous. I've coveted Ascots for a while now, but when they turn up in my area, they're asking $1500 for a non-runner with missing sidecovers and no title. :(

Mesimean
Feb 16, 2012
Hello everyone, I thought I would share my baby with you. Bertha is a 2009 Suzuki Gladius 650 in "candy ruby magenta".

Its engine is an 8v four stroke V-Twin, and I usually get ~120miles out of a tank.

Bit of a wimp when it comes to changing things with her. The most I've done is a seasonal replacement of the brake lever and pedal - I am not good with dealing with sudden snow.

People say it's a girly bike, and with my colour choice I can see that. But my bloke decided he wanted one too though his is a more manly colour scheme.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gah, remove those plastic side cover things. It cleans up the look significantly.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Mesimean posted:

I saw one of them in person today (white like yours though) and there's just something odd looking about the seat on them that I couldn't get my head around.

(That picture shows it better).

Nice bike otherwise though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I know nothing about those, but I think it's a sharp looking bike and looks good as is.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Mesimean posted:

Isn't it just the new sv650? I think it's sharp, but they're discontinuing the line (as least in the US) aren't they?

Edit: wrong thread I guess, but I noticed while I was looking up the gladius/sv650... the new V-Strom is adorable

orthod0ks fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 17, 2012

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Yea, the Gladius is pretty much a naked SV with some work to make it seem like a Ducati Monster. I really like the look of the bike in general, but they were only around a short time in the US and weren't a big seller. I think they sold a little bit better in Europe though.

BradleyJamers fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 17, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Mesimean posted:

People say it's a girly bike,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mesimean
Feb 16, 2012
The Gladius aka the SFV650 is the revamp of the SV650.
In the UK it has sold as well as the GSXR600 (according to some DVLA webpagethingy) at least when my bloke last checked.

That V-strom looks yum!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I've ridden the Gladius once, thought it was a great bike. Definitely got a sporty, high mode, futuristic, hi-tech good feeling.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

But they aren't SV650s and therefore the CA hivemind will never love them. :colbert:

Also, I love my SV650 and that thing is way too curvy to be related to an SV650.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'd ride a Glad hard and put it away wet. I love Monsters and that Glad is my favorite parts of the monster with all the Suzuki goodness inside.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

The Gladius is one of those bikes where it looks fine to me if somebody is riding by on one, or if I just glance at it, but I slowly think it looks worse the more details I take in. The shrouds on either side of the forks. The plastic side covers between the frame and subframe. The organic-looking peg bracket assembly. The really busy tank with all the recessed lines.

They couldn't even make the front fender a simple shape!

All that said, if I had one I would just get rid of the plastic unnecessary bits and I bet the thing would look pretty rockin'.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The Gladius looks fine except for that silver blob with claws that they stuck on the red frame. I wonder if it's replaceable.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
I thought the black Gladius looks pretty good. The blue isn't too bad either, but I have horrible taste, so what do I know.

I also really liked it's instrument cluster design. I really don't like digital tachs, which I'm glad the Ninja 650 went away from with it's new design.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

BradleyJamers posted:

I thought the black Gladius looks pretty good. The blue isn't too bad either, but I have horrible taste, so what do I know.

I also really liked it's instrument cluster design. I really don't like digital tachs, which I'm glad the Ninja 650 went away from with it's new design.

I'd totally strip that naked and have crazy monkey sex with it @ 120mph.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

My new 250 minutes before I took it up the road and stalled out at a stoplight, dropping it in the process and cracking the left side fairing. :bang:

To be fair to myself I'm learning faster than I thought I would, that was my second time riding it.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I did the same thing coming out of a driveway while looking over my right shoulder while turning left. Wasn't used to the clutch and stalled it, but I was in the turn and the sudden stop made my lean go too far too fast, dropped it going 0. put some scratches on the fairing, no cracks though, whew. I feel your pain.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
They're super fun bikes. Take it easy till it warms up. I had a drat near accident on a little ninja today riding too hard for cold roads with snow treatment on them.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Every time I see a Ninja 250 I want to go buy another one. Never underestimate how awesome it is to be able to wind up a bike all the way, and actually use all the gears.

My ZX10 here, I never get it out of 3rd gear in town, and even on the freeway, 5th and 6th are barely spinning at legal speeds.

I had a bunch of adhesive vinyl laying around so I thought I'd try this stripey look. I may decide I hate it and take it off in a few days, I dunno. The yellow is eye-gouging flourescent, the latest in safety technology: the high-viz motorcycle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I think it looks rad as gently caress.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yep, owns bones, keep it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Switch the rimtape to white and I'd pretend it was mine.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Yep, that owns

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That is awesome. Reminds me of Van Halen, haha.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

That looks great. Way better than all blue.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Oh god, these guys are right on all counts, it looks absolutely awesome. Now I want to do this on my red vfr... I actually could make it look like the Frankenstein guitar.... I wonder if anyone would like to take a photoshop crack at it?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

deliverator posted:

It does look good, but all I could think was "If Subaru make a sport bike...."

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I feel like your helmet should be fluorescent pink, or something. So loving tubular...bro.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
poo poo, that's like luminous motorcycle dazzle camo.

This would look :krad: on the 690...

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
better shots of the Ascot. I'll put some time into cleaning it up later on, but I bought it as a cheap rider and that's pretty much what it is.

A previous owner took an XR500 header set and made a sort of scrambler-type setup on the side, welding that mesh screen on the side and making his own brackets. He added an unknown exhaust too, which actually sounds great, but the whole setup looks pretty thrashed due to rust.

And I hope to put some wider, low rise flat tracker style bars on, replacing these which feel a little short.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Marv Hushman posted:

Can it ride.... 55?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Marv Hushman posted:

Looks like Christmas wrapping paper.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

clutchpuck posted:

Can it ride.... 55?

No, but it probably sounds more like Eddie than Dave...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNfXROjRzHM

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Marv Hushman posted:

Need to paint a few of the red parts blue and it could be a spiderman motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
?