Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
I'd like to create a synth patch that changes pitch when you release the note. So you hold a D, then you release the key and it drops to C, for example. Is this possible?

I have Analog, but I suspect it's not possible on that. I also have Massive, but I barely know how to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The release portion of pitch envelopes should do this as long as you have an appropriate release on the volume ADSR too. May take a bit of tweaking to get it to drop exactly the right amount. you'd want no attack on the pitch envelope so it doesn't swoop up.

Edit: Massive how-to, works best in monophonic mode.

4Env is your master volume, click on that tab and drag the decay level all the way up. Set the release knob to about 1 o'clock or just past it.

Theres a little crosshair on the blue tab that says 1ENV, click and drag it to the blank box underneath Pitch on OSC1.

An entry box should appear next to where you just dragged the crosshair, drag it up so it says '2.00'.

In the main pitch box for OSC1 drag the pitch down to -2.00. You need to do this so it plays the correct root note, in effect the envelope is pitchbending it upwards instantly and then bending it 'back to root' during the release stage, so you need to correct in the opposite direction so a D key still plays D.

Click on the 1ENV tab, pull the attack all the down whilst leaving the level on full. Increase the decay level to max as you did with 4Env. Set the release to about 10 o'clock so you can hear the effect in action.

Now when you play a D and let go, it should slide down to C. Longer release times mean slower slides.

If you turn on the phase in the modulation osc and try it, you will get some horrid FM style shrieking, but if you apply 1Env to the pitch as you did in OSC1 then it will track too.

Phone posting so hopefully this makes sense, isn't patronising and apologies for the lack of pics.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 24, 2017

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Thanks so much! It's late where I am but I'll try this tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
No worries, was dicking around with the example patch briefly earlier (tested to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything!). Turns out if you leave it in polyphonic mode and play a scale that complements the amount of pitch drop (IE C, G, F for this one) you can get a cool woozy aphex twin vibe off it, gonna use this sound in a tune, just a semitone drop sounds pretty 80s horror

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

That patch works perfectly and the theory behind it makes perfect sense. Thanks!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Glad it works. Same principles (roughly) will apply to Analogue too.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Do they, though? I can't find a way to apply an envelope to affect the pitch on Analog - specifically the release part. (edit: Maybe that's what you meant by "roughly").

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 25, 2017

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
There is an even better technique in Massive which can give you super-precise control over pitch modulation, one shot style. It involves using the envelope as a clock source for the Stepper. I will post screenshots today.

In the meantime you can check this patch which uses it for the filter.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxvvm6spdnhnak3/SteppedCat.ksd?dl=0

You have to import the ksd tho, it's and older patch but it checks out.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Popcorn posted:

Do they, though? I can't find a way to apply an envelope to affect the pitch on Analog - specifically the release part. (edit: Maybe that's what you meant by "roughly").

I haven't had Ableton installed for a couple months (new laptop, never got round to it) and am a dirty Cubase user on the desktop, will have a look but I seem to remember doing something similar with Analog, though having a look at screenshots quickly I could be wrong, sorry.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

In Live's "Analog", you can click the Octave/Semitone knobs (here marked with a crudely drawn red arrow), and a simple modulation envelope for pitch will show up.

Set it to 44% and you're going from D to C - but it won't do that the way you've described, because Analog's envelopes are not complex enough.

edit: here's the Massive patch using NonzeroCircle's approach:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wx5ocly6hfg9ben/PitchDrop.nmsv?dl=0

If you want to use multiple oscillators, you must make sure that the little box under the oscillator has a blue "1" in there, and the number next to the box should be equal to 2.00.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 26, 2017

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Thanks for putting in pics, Massive is really intuitive when I'm looking at it but trying to verbalise it is tough!

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Screenshots make everything better, thanks.

Laserjet 4P posted:

In Live's "Analog", you can click the Octave/Semitone knobs (here marked with a crudely drawn red arrow), and a simple modulation envelope for pitch will show up.

Set it to 44% and you're going from D to C - but it won't do that the way you've described, because Analog's envelopes are not complex enough.

Yep, this is far as I got. Looks like Analog has no way to apply the pitch envelope to the release, right?

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 27, 2017

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
The thing is that Analog gives you a simple AD envelope - so you get attack and decay and that's it. There's no way to route a more fully featured ADSR-envelope to the oscillators, it seems.

This omission is not uncommon. An ARP Odyssey only has an ADSR and an AR. If synths have two fully featured envelopes (Jupiter 6/Jupiter 8, Prophet 5) the first is usually hardwired to the amplifier (because otherwise, oscillators won't stop making sound), the second one can be routed to filter and/or oscillator pitch, since for most osc sync sounds (think Van Halen - How Can This Be Love) you don't do much with the filter anyway.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Suite Dreams!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

wayfinder posted:

Suite Dreams!

The obviously faked project is making me angry.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, Beat Repeat has a bunch of parameters that do weird stuff like randomizing, which you don't really need if you're just looking for the Octatrack/DJM-style beat stutter. There might be a simpler way to do this but I just put a bunch of them into an Effect Rack, each instance set to a different note subdivision with all the extra stuff turned off, and mapped each on/off button to a key on my controller.
You can map the Grid (=note subdivision) knob to a range of CC or note values: Select the knob in MIDI map mode, hold one button / key, then press the second button / key. That way you can change the division live, really fun to play with. It also means that you could map the beat repeat on/off button to a filter on/off button as well, like in the video. I've uploaded a "clean" preset for it here - play with the Repeat button and the Grid knob.

Your way is really great though, much better for getting specific subdivisions and one subdivision per button etc.

I wonder if 10 will have more MIDI mapping options, I always found Live sorta lacking in that department.

colonp fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 8, 2017

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Another round of Beta invites went out this morning.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I sure do love the new Ableton Core Drum Kits with 8 macros set to various drum bus compression values and not a drat one preset to edit any of the core elements of a sound (i.e. attack, decay, pitch, etc.). This sure has totally enhanced my workflow on the Push, where I now have to navigate 5 menus deep to adjust these parameters. Great choice Ableton.

Heads up before anyone updates- if you like the core kits from Ableton 9, open them all up and save them as personal preset racks, because they’ve all been changed in a really dumb way for the express purpose of showing off the integrated drum rack bussing feature. Last time I sat down to produce I ended up having to spend hours scouring old projects for the Ableton 9 core kits, and recreating those old core kits when I couldn’t find them.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
On the subject of Core Kits I remember doing a few songs many years ago using 'Session Dry' and thinking they sounded alright, not exactly Superior Drummer level but useable enough in a mix. Loaded up that same kit yesterday (just installed Live Lite 9 in my laptop since it came with my MPD and I'm not risking taking my Cubase dongle thing to work for sleep shifts) and I don't know if the kit has changed or I've shown some sort of personal artistic growth but loving hell, any given x0x kit sounds less plastic and more dynamic than that kit does.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey all, I've had Ableton for a while but I'm just diving into it in earnest now. What are some good learning resources? I'm not at all new to DAWs in general but I'm pretty much new to Ableton and actually kind of new to straight-up music production (I do a lot of sound design for games/media) so I'm looking for stuff that's either very Ableton or electronic music specific.

I know Tom Cosm's name has been thrown around a lot-- I see he's got a membership thing on his website, but also has a shitload of videos on youtube. Anywhere in particular I could start with his stuff?

Beyond that the only resources I've really fallen on are things like AskVideo/MacProVideo and just the tutorial vids on Ableton's site. As for music production stuff, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for-- I know how to mix, know my way around effects, understand music theory... so I guess I really just need some guidance on composing and arranging? I know 90% what I need is just time and practice, but I'd like to get my head in order and kind of have a guideline as I dive into making music in earnest.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I have a EDM/Ableton tutorial channel that has helped a few beginners in this thread. I have videos on the interface and pretty much every effect. I tried my best to keep the videos as short as they can be, because a big pet peeve of mine is when I look up tuts on YT and the pacing is mindnumbingly slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDDFPSjJwxs

EDIT: and this one should help you get started with arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmb_OaFxHhw

d0grent fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 2, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
This series on Ableton from Cymatics is really solid, and would recommend it even if you aren’t producing electronic music like most of the community.

https://youtu.be/7wt_NNYMwJY

As for what videos to start with on Tom Cosm’s site, he has an Introduction to Ableton course which goes pretty in depth despite the name.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
Is there a way to "force select" something? Ala holding down ALT to edit notes without being forced onto the grid. My automation envelopes are in the way :(

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

colonp posted:

Is there a way to "force select" something? Ala holding down ALT to edit notes without being forced onto the grid. My automation envelopes are in the way :(

Toggle the automation envelopes off?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Plavski posted:

Toggle the automation envelopes off?

It was clip envelope, but yeah, that works (select different parameter, do the selection, go back to what you wanna copy/whatever). thank you.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I believe Live 10 beta is now public if anyone still hasn't been invited.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm really considering updating to 9 Suite for the "free" 10 update.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Oldstench posted:

I'm really considering updating to 9 Suite for the "free" 10 update.

so you'd be paying once with the money for the update and then again with the labor you provide by beta testing their software.

I am in the final phases of putting an album together so messing around with 10 at this point would be a pretty stupid idea but I'm tempted anyway just because nested groups could actually make things go a lot quicker. but I think the chance of some other aspect loving up the projects is too high

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Earwicker posted:

so you'd be paying once with the money for the update and then again with the labor you provide by beta testing their software.

I am in the final phases of putting an album together so messing around with 10 at this point would be a pretty stupid idea but I'm tempted anyway just because nested groups could actually make things go a lot quicker. but I think the chance of some other aspect loving up the projects is too high

I substitute skill and talent with buying poo poo.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Oldstench posted:

I substitute skill and talent with buying poo poo.

New subforum title?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Earwicker posted:

I've been using it full-time since the beta was announced and haven't had many issues - I'd say go for it. It'll most likely force you to save new projects as well, so there's that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Earwicker posted:

why would you have to switch to the 10 beta immediately?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

uXs posted:

why would you have to switch to the 10 beta immediately?

because its right there on your computer full of new toys begging you to gently caress around with them and then since you are all into checking them out and had several cups of coffee while doing so you are also motivated to write detailed reports to ableton every time the poo poo crashes.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

dj bobby bieber posted:

I've been using it full-time since the beta was announced and haven't had many issues - I'd say go for it. It'll most likely force you to save new projects as well, so there's that.

Forgive my dumb stupidity, but are old projects incompatible?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
9 projects will open in 10, but once you save them in 10 you'll no longer be able to open them in 9.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
10 is good; I've been using it since the first beta waves and I really enjoy it. Wavetable is so good.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I've been noodling in Live 10 for about an hour now and I really like Drum Buss so far. You can beef up your drums quite a bit before using anything else. Here's a demo I made of a simple 707 pattern without/with the Drum Buss on the kick, snare, hat and cowbell (with a bit of Pedal on the hat): https://instaud.io/1DPm

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Earwicker posted:

write detailed reports to ableton every time the poo poo crashes.

have they not automated this yet

whyyyy

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

I'm enjoying the Live 10 updates a lot. The Push 2 improvements are pretty great. gently caress, just the ability to zoom, pan, and scrub the arrangement with the mousewheel is worth it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan

Oldstench posted:

I'm enjoying the Live 10 updates a lot. The Push 2 improvements are pretty great. gently caress, just the ability to zoom, pan, and scrub the arrangement with the mousewheel is worth it to me.

I installed the beta yesterday and was messing around with it, and I'm really impressed with Wavetable and the Push 2 sequencing options. Wavetable feels really fun and easy to dial in new sounds. Its also so well laid out that I don't find myself menu diving like I do with Analog and Operator on the Push. I wasn't planning on getting 10 on release but the beta pretty much has me sold.