Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Had a ton of people ask us if we had black friday deals today. We're a small business, what makes them think we can even afford that, or have the room for the stock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Shnooks posted:

Had a ton of people ask us if we had black friday deals today. We're a small business, what makes them think we can even afford that, or have the room for the stock?

Best Deal In Town!
"We have all our popular items in stock at the same prices, and you won't get trampled to death by a herd of shallow, greedy people."

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Neito posted:

So any hilarious stories other than the mace lady?

Someone pooped in one of our fitting rooms V :) V

Again.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

drat Bananas posted:

Again.

Not as bad as the time we caught a couple loving in ours.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Neito posted:

Informal poll: which would you rather have to clean up?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

drat Bananas posted:

Again.

I wonder if people do this because they think no one notices?

Maybe they need some sign of "this is not a bathroom, do not poo poo or piss in here like a god drat animal".

e: forgot a very important word :downs:

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 26, 2011

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

cobalt impurity posted:

Informal poll: which would you rather have to clean up?

At least I know where the poop is.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Neito posted:

That's pretty bad. I used to do overnights at my Starbucks and one time (I wasn't working that night) someone decided to screw in the women's restroom and left the condom wrapper on top of the paper towel dispenser like some kind of signature. It's kind of annoying that my store is about a block away from about 6 bars in a college town.

Why can't young people realize that screwing in a restroom is not exactly a classy thing? Screw a woman on the hood of your car like McNulty and leave my store's bathroom out of the equation.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Neito posted:

So any hilarious stories other than the mace lady?

Clicky here.

Summary: Guy grabbed a video game and stuffed it under his shirt. Other articles say it was to help out his grand kid who had fallen, this one says it was just to prevent others from taking the game, maybe to actually shop-lift (unlikely, but who knows?). Cop approaches him, talks briefly, then grabs him and slams him on the ground, possibly breaking his nose and KO'ing him in the process. Blood all over the floor and the dude's face. After being charged with shoplifting and being peacefully led away in cuffs, also charged with resisting arrest.

Cpt Nigel
Sep 8, 2011
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-26/violence-erupts-during-us-holiday-sales/3696676

What the hell America? Black Friday sales is the worst thing ever.

On a happier note i had a friend getting compliments about me at a wedding in another city! Being nice to old people works wonders.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Cpt Nigel posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-26/violence-erupts-during-us-holiday-sales/3696676

On a happier note i had a friend getting compliments about me at a wedding in another city! Being nice to old people works wonders.

gently caress me, an actual gun fight over black friday deals? Where's a weeping bald eagle when you need one.

MentalStaples
Sep 25, 2007

Cpt Nigel posted:

At least this year it sounds like most of the awful black Friday stores are at Walmarts. This confirms that avoiding Walmart is a good choice.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
A friend told me he saw two guys get into a fist fight over a denim jacket. While they were fighting, my friend nabbed the jacket.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I really, really dislike being part time where I work. It feels like I can't go more than a few days without being called in. I have no problem with being scheduled for however many days but it's night shift. I already turned my entire schedule upside down to fit the job, I don't want to feel like I'm on-call every single day I have off. It's bad enough I have to go to bed in the early afternoon to keep my sleep cycle from falling apart.

I feel like a dick for bitching about being offered more hours but it's just the way that it's done that bothers me. I also understand that sometimes things happen but it shouldn't be happening this much.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Sankis posted:

I feel like a dick for bitching about being offered more hours but it's just the way that it's done that bothers me. I also understand that sometimes things happen but it shouldn't be happening this much.

Unless they stipulated that you're on call or that you can be fired for it, don't pick up your phone. I don't. My friendliness extends to people I personally like outside of work. Personal friend level like. I'm generally a loving misanthrope, so my phone goes unanswered in the event I am called. It makes life so much easier.

Angry Guacamole fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 26, 2011

RedTeam
Feb 5, 2011

SHAZAM!
Pretend to rummage around for the diary that you don't have and then oh no, you're fully booked.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

I'll pick up anyone's shift on a Sunday (time and a half). Other than that, I couldn't care less.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I love our new assistant customer service manager. He's so nice, he's caring, and he makes you want to do things instead of scaring you into it.
He called me today and asked if I wanted to pick up a shift but I told him I was still sick. He was genuinely sorry and actually cared that I was feeling bad. Said if I needed anything to just let him know. My heart grew three sizes today.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Well working my first Black Friday ever (at the Levi's outlet in Woodburn OR) I stopped a shoplifter, stopped a guy from making his own changing room in the middle of the store, saw someone get fired on the spot, ended up helping a very drunk son of one of my old professors and my store made 55k by 4 am, 100k total in 24 hours. Only problem was the vp of sales for Levi stopped in and hates our store for petty reasons. She didn't bother to take into account the fact that our manager is still in training, we have mostly new people, and the district manager was running things periodically as she had other stores to worry about as well. But nope, got to hold up that snooty upper management image.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Here's an awful one from my state:

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Man_Dies_on_Black_Friday_Shoppers_Unfazed_134507443.html

Guy keels over in a Target, shoppers step around/over him and basically ignore him.

I hate people.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

evelynevvie posted:

Here's an awful one from my state:

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Man_Dies_on_Black_Friday_Shoppers_Unfazed_134507443.html

Guy keels over in a Target, shoppers step around/over him and basically ignore him.

I hate people.
... so it's the bystander effect writ large, just happening to be at a Black Friday event? Ironically, I (would) think that the EMTs actually attempting to assist him actually helped cause the above "shoppers ignore him," in a "oh, he's being attended to and it's not like I trampled him, look, I'm making sure to step around him!" way.

It's a lot easier to suppress any impulse to help a guy when you see someone else doing so, even if it's just because it's their job.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
We got knelt down and shot in the face today. It was my first day working drive through proper. Two people called in with no replacements scheduled, and we could find no replacements. This left me, a newish person (who learns their poo poo fast and works hard), and a shift manager, who is already overworked and tired, bless their patience. My till alone did close to 750, we used over 40 gallons of 2%, and were only saved by another person who swooped in like motherfucking Batman and someone from the morning (I think) returning.

Ow.

Coincidentally I'm reconsidering my stance on being called in.

Angry Guacamole fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 27, 2011

Luquos
Aug 9, 2009

how about we go back to my place and i conquer your world, if you know what i mean
Booked in for 28 hours in the week after Christmas. Y'know, the busiest week of the year. I normally work 8 hours for reference. I am going to make so much money.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

I went to one of the Gamestops around here to take advantage of one of the 3DS bundle deals, and while they did the whole thing in a safe fashion of giving the first people in line wristbands to claim high-demand items, it seemed like they were critically understocked on these items (though I did get what I came for).
I don't know if this was done at my store for the Black Friday midnight, but this was previously done for the Modern Warfare 3 release at my current store; on top of the usual pre-ring process, those customers were also given a wristband to for clearly delineate who was who.

Boondock Saint posted:

Official policy was, we'd close at 6 that night, but if it was dead, I'd start to close up at like 5:45-5:50ish (read, still open but shutting extra registers down, not accepting trades, locking the door if no one is there at 5:55) since it's not really vital that anyone get poo poo for Thanksgiving. Christmas eve I can understand but even then, we closed at six on the dot. If you weren't at the register at 6PM, you were poo poo outta luck.
My policy is more of "if you're not in the store at closing time, tough," but I will consider the at-the-register bit, especially as the holidays draw nearer and we don't want to risk an end-of-the-night robbery. As it is I've found that we've been trying to take care of certain tasks like recovering walls and clearing the counter way earlier simply so that they're a non-issue or at least a smaller one by the end of the night*, and I know at least one store where they'll even vacuum before closing if there's few enough people inside.

quote:

Even after we finished regular closing procedures, we still had to get things ready for black friday. That and I like most normal people would rather be at home with family instead of selling you DS games. You'd still have people though showing up at 6:05, 6:10, etc as we were finishing up cleaning, begging us to let them in like we were the last chopper outta Saigon. It was pretty pathetic.
The "late-comers" was actually a regular occurrence at my previous store, although for them to persist and beg...? Only time I can really remember that was this one pair of boys who literally stayed at the door for minutes on end watching us go through closing procedures -- this was during the summer, so no special stuff -- around a half hour after closing time. Unfortunately, by the time I told him to clean the front door, they had finally left and we'd missed our opportunity for one of my GAs to troll them by literally spraying glass cleaner at the door practically in their faces. (Mind you, he was VERY enthusiastic about that.)

quote:

I'm not staying late and neither are my employees because you just have to trade in your old xbox games for cash or need a random copy of Madden '02. If you don't like it, I give no fucks and neither does my manager (the DM might but he rarely found out).
Odd for the DM to mind you not re-opening, I thought it was supposed to be the other way around? That the DM would want you to not reopen for risk of robbery and the time cost of dealing with the customer who may or may not actually know what they want.

* I'm in a state with trade hold rules, but unfortunately dealing with it at my store is a hilarious tragedy of backlog and disorganization due to the store's internal space (read: WHAT SPACE?!) and the time needed for counts/holiday-drama, whereas my previous store had one of the smoothest arrangements I've seen and it was not unheard of for "processing the trades that are going out the next day" to have been taken care of before closing.

My previous store is run by a goon.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 27, 2011

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Chortles posted:

Unfortunately, by the time I told him to clean the front door, they had finally left and we'd missed our opportunity for one of my GAs to troll them by literally spraying glass cleaner at the door practically in their faces. (Mind you, he was VERY enthusiastic about that.)

:lol: I've done that countless times, it never got old.

[quote=]
Odd for the DM to mind you not re-opening, I thought it was supposed to be the other way around? That the DM would want you to not reopen for risk of robbery and the time cost of dealing with the customer who may or may not actually know what they want.

[/quote]

Well we were told not to open up again or anything, but if a customer complained that we were closed when they arrived, we were given poo poo for it as if we closed 40 minutes early and they were there well before closing. Usually my SM (a retail vet in his fifties) told my DM to suck a bag of dicks if he tried to write anyone up, because we followed policy. It also helped my SM was tight with our district HR guy so we could push limits most people never knew about. So our store was pretty awesome so far as co-workers and management was concerned most of the time.

Best example I can think of with people showing up past close and complaining is a few years ago when we were working on a Sunday. We close at six on Sundays but people would still try come into the store with massive trades at five of or after six, it was extremely annoying because it was usually the same people.

As we are getting ready to close up shop, someone calls us asking what time we close. It's 5:56 at this point. We tell them we are closing in four minutes. They explain they are ten minutes away, couldn't we please just stay open for them. My co-worker tells them politely that unfortunately, we won't be able to do that, but this guy pleads and begs for us to let them in when they get there in ten minutes. Realizing they aren't getting the hint, my co-worker tells them again that we can't do that and that we're "sorry" :rolleyes:

Sure enough, at 6 minutes past six, a minivan screeches in front of our store in the fire lane (I really hate people who parked in the fire lane to come into the store, it's far worse than people who park in handicap spots as far as I'm concerned) and out pour two kids trying to pry the door open. I'm standing inside at the door yelling, no sorry, we're closed. The guy driving the van starts yelling at me that they just called and they want to get something quick. At this point we've already started to shut down registers and clean. He keeps yelling and I just shake my head and point at my watch. He finally yells that I clearly don't want his business(No poo poo, we don't want anyone's business when we're closed you loving moron) and that he'll see what my manager thinks of that tomorrow.

Sure enough he comes in the next morning and bitches to my SM, my SM looks at him squarely and tells him "I saw the whole thing on the camera, you were here after closing. He did the right thing. Sorry." The guy tried telling my manager that we were all refusing business and that he'd get us all fired when he told corporate about this as he left the store screaming. My manager just laughed at him and we carried on.

Never heard anything from corporate. In fact, the only time you'd hear something from corporate is if it involved theft or if one of us used vulgarity with a customer. That never happened except with a few stupid employees.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

People need to learn how to loving read a sign, rather than their hallucinations of what the sign said.

Testro
May 2, 2009
^^ I once had a customer berate me for working in the 'worst fish and chip shop in the land' because we didn't sell fish, sausages, pies etc.

...that would be because I worked in a Chinese takeaway.

(Although there was a comedy moment when he insisted on walking outside to check the sign above the door...and then meekly came back and ordered a chow mein.)

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Would it be proper for me to ask my manager for more hours? Since I am seasonal and with the way things are going mentioned in my above post, I don't want to push the wrong buttons. Because I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be asking.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Testro posted:

^^ I once had a customer berate me for working in the 'worst fish and chip shop in the land' because we didn't sell fish, sausages, pies etc.

...that would be because I worked in a Chinese takeaway.

(Although there was a comedy moment when he insisted on walking outside to check the sign above the door...and then meekly came back and ordered a chow mein.)

I don't understand this. He'd have to read the menu to figure out there weren't fish and sausages and stuff, but he didn't notice a trend in the food items listed? :psyduck:

My friend and I went out at 9AM Black Friday to do all our shopping at a fairly big mall, (then later at 2PM at another medium sized mall). Plenty of parking, not many people (and the Target somehow didn't look like a tornado blew through it), there weren't any deals that we missed out on, and we got about 90% of our Christmas shopping done. We only saw one altercation between two people (guy ran into a lady and scraped her shin with his package, she said, "Watch where you're going", and he yelled, "gently caress you" as he walked on). I had a tame Black Friday last year too. I think I'm doing it wrong. :(

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I'm experiencing one of those times where my boss is incompetent, she knows I know she's incompetent, and she continues to take out her frustrations about the inefficacy of our workplace on me :frogout:

Retail pharmacy is just butts.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
I'm kinda late for the whole Black Friday storytime, but compared to last year, this Black Friday was tame. Same as last year, I was in charge of the people loading furniture and the bigger TVs. Last year I had like 7 people and we were constantly loading stuff up, and sold most of our TVs and our doorbuster furniture. Not this year, we didn't sell nearly as much of that stuff this year. I don't know if it was more the deals weren't as good or that we opened at midnight instead of 5am of years before. I had 5 people and we had times where we were just waiting for something to phone in. Still was a long day working 10pm to 10am then coming back and doing 5pm to 11pm, but the overtime is worth it, along with the holiday pay. That will be a nice paycheck.

rocket_man38 posted:

Would it be proper for me to ask my manager for more hours? Since I am seasonal and with the way things are going mentioned in my above post, I don't want to push the wrong buttons. Because I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be asking.

It can't hurt, they won't know you want more hours unless you ask. It might only be lovely shifts or call-ins though depending on your store.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I work as a cashier, and although the customers are the usual dumbasses that do dumbass things, I have grown to accept that and lighten my mood with them. What I cannot stand is about 99% of my coworkers. Yes, I am quiet and shy. No, this does not mean I will refuse to talk to you. So stop making a big loving deal out of "Oh my god I got him to talk!" if we end up in conversation during downtime. If someone starts a conversation with me and I reciprocate they act like it is a giant accomplishment, even after I have been there over a year. Seriously, have you not seen me act social around customers because that is, you know, my loving job?

Related to this is how many people refer to me a as a kid. I know I'm only 21. I know you are in your 30's/40's/50's. This doesn't make it any less annoying that every time we talk you bring this up. I realize I have barely any life experience yet, so you don't need to constantly remind me by saying "compared to me you're still a baby!". gently caress these people.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Neito posted:

People need to learn how to loving read a sign, rather than their hallucinations of what the sign said.

Jesus christ this.

When you walk into my store there's a real big loving sign over the registers that says INK CARTRIDGES, Almost once every goddamn hour somebody will come into aisle 1(where I usually am) across the whole drat store and ask for ink. It's gotten to the point where I point and say where it is by saying there's a huge sign that says INK CARTRIDGES with a little after taste of hatred in my voice.

Also really hate it when me and a customer are looking at some random piece of poo poo electronic and the rear end in a top hat asks "whats the price" when there's a stupid big tag with the price and everything.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So I started working at Marshall's on Black Friday (surprisingly not busy) as the guy that stocks socks and complains about having too many goddamned socks. Why do we need so many socks? They literally don't fit on the hooks anymore. Same goes for hats, gloves, and scarves. I also quickly learned there are really only 3 answers for where stuff is. "There", "We don't have it", or "I don't know". I can understand the question for sports apparel, it's not too obvious. Bathrooms? Maybe. It's in the corner, hard to see. Men's outerwear? It's probably below the huge rear end sign that says men's outerwear. And since I mentioned bathrooms, why does the breakroom have to next to it so when I get my 15 minutes to sit and relax I have to smell the collective dump of every Marshall's customer. And screw the breakroom. Who decided to decorate it like a 3rd grade classroom? That's just insulting to everyone here. Two days and I already hate retail.:argh:

At least it's inspired me to write so I never have to work at Marshall's again.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Related to this is how many people refer to me a as a kid. I know I'm only 21. I know you are in your 30's/40's/50's. This doesn't make it any less annoying that every time we talk you bring this up. I realize I have barely any life experience yet, so you don't need to constantly remind me by saying "compared to me you're still a baby!". gently caress these people.

I hope you know we call you 'Kid' because we are jealous and wish we were still just kids too. You can always retort with calling your co-workers 'Old Man' or 'Grandma.'

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Chortles posted:

... so it's the bystander effect writ large, just happening to be at a Black Friday event? Ironically, I (would) think that the EMTs actually attempting to assist him actually helped cause the above "shoppers ignore him," in a "oh, he's being attended to and it's not like I trampled him, look, I'm making sure to step around him!" way.

It's a lot easier to suppress any impulse to help a guy when you see someone else doing so, even if it's just because it's their job.

Oh yeah, I mean if I saw that and saw someone was taking care of him then I would want to stay out of the way--not step over him and near him while he was laying there.

Also, this was on the news but I guessed the article missed it, but the Target employees were not allowed to give CPR to him either.

Endymion FRS MK1 the correct response to old people giving you a hard time about being young is "It's ok. I take great comfort in the fact that you will be dead long before I will."

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Meow Cadet posted:

I hope you know we call you 'Kid' because we are jealous and wish we were still just kids too. You can always retort with calling your co-workers 'Old Man' or 'Grandma.'

Hm, sorry then. I just always feel like it's condescending.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Still no work back from work. Tomorrow will be the two week mark. There is no way a investigation can take this long can it? I feel like now they are trying to rail road me into quitting so I can't get unemployment from being fired. This is honestly starting to piss me off more then anything else. Going to call my manager tomorrow and see what the hell is going on.

I really do not want to have to go job hunting again. Not because I don't want to, but I love in a very small town and its either wal mart or oil field work drat near for people that do not have experience in other fields.

:smith:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
You can always apply for partial unemployment since they're refusing to work you full time (or, you know at all right now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

So our schedules got posted tuesday and i worked sunday, tuesday, and wednesday. Today i go in and now i work sunday and wednesday. I'm so glad they did this without warning me. Guess who will suddenly be busy if they call and need me this week!