Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Hell yeah, OGD Bonded and Wild Turkey 101 are a real bourbon drinker's secret weapons. They hit the perfect combination of quality/price/consistency/availability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008
Recommend me a whiskey/whiskeys to try?

Stuff I like:
Knob Creek (I love the peppery finish)
Highland Park 18 (love the subtle smoke on the finish)

Stuff that's OK:
Maker's 46
Highland Park 12 (I used to really enjoy this until I spoiled myself with the 18)

Stuff I dislike:
Bulleit (very "blah" overall)
Angel's Envy (also "blah" and seems to have less flavored swirling around than Bulleit)

I've never tried a Rye, but keep eyeing the Knob Creek Rye. I've had a sip of a scotch that seemed very "salty" which was enjoyable (unlike highland park), but not sure what it was.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Try Talisker or Springbank

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

rekamso posted:

Stuff I like:

Stuff that's OK:
Maker's 46
Highland Park 12 (I used to really enjoy this until I spoiled myself with the 18)

Stuff I dislike:
Angel's Envy (also "blah" and seems to have less flavored swirling around than Bulleit)

I've never tried a Rye, but keep eyeing the Knob Creek Rye. I've had a sip of a scotch that seemed very "salty" which was enjoyable (unlike highland park), but not sure what it was.

I've never tried Knob Creek Rye, but it's probably a safe bet if you like their bourbon.

I highly recommend Sazerac Rye for a mid-priced rye. Also Rittenhouse is a cheap rye that's way better than anything at it's price point and most things at the Sazerac price, especially if you like higher ABV stuff. For a higher priced rye, Willett Rye in any of its varieties (2 year, 5 year, etc.) is incredible.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I'm about to kill a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 and I'm looking for a nice, similar, but different replacement for my cabinet
Right now I have these bottles in various unopen/open/nearly-empty capacities:
Lagavulin 16
Laphroaig QC
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Oban 14
Glenfiddich 15
Glenlivet 12
Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2007
Macallan 12 sherry
Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
Auchentoshan Three Wood
Aberlour 18

Four Roses Single Barrel
Four Roses Single Barrel Select OESK
Four Roses Small Batch
Knob Creek 9
Bulleit Rye

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Re: the rittenhouse. Someone earlier mentioned it so I went and picked it up. Holy poo poo is that tasty.

Also - let's talk about old fashioneds. Whats your preferred recipe?

I usually do ice, bitters, a sugar cube, maybe a cherry if I'm feeling it, and whatever bourbon I've got around. Lately I've been trying different bitters.

Angostura - the standard. Good but boring since it's what you always get at bars.
Peychauds (sp?) - I really liked this alot.
Orange Bitters - can't remember the brand but this is ok depending on the whiskey.
Fee Brothers Peach - ehh not great on its own but better combined with the orange bitters.
Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged - I just got this after reading about it. Unfortunately it's got SO MUCH cinnamon that it almost transforms the drink into a shot of fireball. Apparently they change the recipe every year which makes it tough to know what you're gonna get.

I'd like to check out some others. I wonder if the Aztec Chocolate is any good (Fee Brothers)?

You guys have any bitters you like to use?

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Lowness 72 posted:

Re: the rittenhouse. Someone earlier mentioned it so I went and picked it up. Holy poo poo is that tasty.

I usually do ice, bitters, a sugar cube, maybe a cherry if I'm feeling it, and whatever bourbon I've got around. Lately I've been trying different bitters.

Angostura - the standard. Good but boring since it's what you always get at bars.
Orange Bitters - can't remember the brand but this is ok depending on the whiskey.
Fee Brothers Peach - ehh not great on its own but better combined with the orange bitters.
Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged - I just got this after reading about it. Unfortunately it's got SO MUCH cinnamon that it almost transforms the drink into a shot of fireball. Apparently they change the recipe every year which makes it tough to know what you're gonna get.

I'd like to check out some others. I wonder if the Aztec Chocolate is any good (Fee Brothers)?

See if you can find some Abbott's Bitters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

rekamso posted:

Stuff I like:

Stuff that's OK:
Maker's 46

Stuff I dislike:

Try Baby Hudson or Koval Boirbon

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

rekamso posted:

Compass Box Peat Monster which is going to taste mostly of Islay.
Johnnie Walker Green Label, which marries all the styles, with a good helping of Talisker and Caol Ila.
Talisker 18, none of the roughness of the 10 or NAS versions.
Blanton's
Four Roses Small Batch, Four Roses Single Barrel (If you find private selections, try OB** bottlings before OE**)

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'm about to kill a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 and I'm looking for a nice, similar, but different replacement for my cabinet

Glendronach 12 - more sherry notes
AnCnoc 12 - more stone fruit notes

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 8, 2015

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

I've been using simple syrup, these bitters (I got them for free from somewhere), bourbon (I need a good rye), ice and a bit of orange peel. They've been a bit sweet, so I either need to tweak my simple syrup, add a bit more ice, or get a sharper bourbon/rye.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Lowness 72 posted:

I still prefer Angostura for old fashioneds, but for whiskey sours I've taken to using rhubarb bitters and they're awesome when you use a dash of egg white.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My fiancee doesn't like most whiskey because it's too sweet and burning. So I'm looking for a smooth, not very sweet whiskey. Any suggestions?

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Add water until it doesn't burn.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
So I'm really just starting my foray into whiskey. I've liked Knob Hill, Woodforest and Makers Mark. Tonight I had a Rebecca Creek and it was pretty great (I drink it on the rocks). Going to try Bulleit 10 year to see if I like that but I do thank you guys for recommendations.

E: went with Blantons instead was a good choice

b0ng fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 11, 2015

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

rekamso posted:

Stuff that's OK:

Just wanted to call this out as super accurate. Highland 12 is good stuff, but my wife gave me a bottle of 18 for Christmas last year, and now I'm ruined.

Worse yet, when my dad was visiting, he and I polished off the bottle one night during a drunken session. :(

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

PotatoManJack posted:

Just wanted to call this out as super accurate. Highland 12 is good stuff, but my wife gave me a bottle of 18 for Christmas last year, and now I'm ruined.

Worse yet, when my dad was visiting, he and I polished off the bottle one night during a drunken session. :(
750ml of scotch in one night between two people? :stare:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Ralith posted:

750ml of scotch in one night between two people? :stare:

No, it was half the bottle between us (it was opened and enjoyed a glass at a time previously by me). I should have been more specific and said polished off what was left of the bottle.

Still a good way to waste half a bottle of really nice scotch

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

PotatoManJack posted:

Clearly I can never drink the 18yo then as the Highland Park 12 is my favourite to date.

I'm trying out Lagavulin 16 at the moment and enjoying it, not finding the smokey peat as overpowering as I expected.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Heads up to any rye fans, Smooth Ambler is halting regular sales of their rye due to supplies running out. They sourced their juice from MGP, figuring they'd have enough to last until the stuff they distilled themselves aged, but they didn't anticipate just how big the whiskey boom would be.

If you see any on the shelves, especially the cask strength, do yourself a favor and grab a bottle, its a really great whiskey and Smooth Ambler sold it for a really great price compared to the other craft distilleries that were buying and bottling the same stuff.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
For new bourbons, I would highly recommend checking out Old Forester's 1870 Original Batch. It came out in November of last year, and while it was somewhat hard to find outside of Tennessee back then, it's pretty available now. For an <$50 bourbon, it has now become an every day drinking whiskey for me. The biggest drawbacks are the lower proof (86 I believe?) and the recipe is a "modernized" older one, so if someone is only just now getting into whiskeys, it might not be a good first selection.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Can't believe I've just now found this thread. I've been avidly drinking bourbon whiskey and quite a few single malts over the past few years. There's no other drink that compares to the complexity of a good bourbon or scotch.

That said, I'm going to a bachelor party tomorrow and the groom is also a big fan of whisky and to a lesser degree bourbon. I'm trying to figure out the right bottle to get him as a gift. I'm looking for something around the $75-$100 price range that has the aesthetic that belongs on the top shelf of the bar as well as a unique tasting profile to go with it. I was actually thinking of getting him a Japanese whisky - Hakushu or Hibiki 12 maybe - as those tend to stand out among the large selection of fine scotch whiskies. Any recommendations for good "gift" bottles along these lines?

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
At that price point, if it's for myself I am buying Laphroaig 18 ($90-95) or Ardbeg Corryvreckan ($85-90). If I was buying for someone else I'd probably go with the Laphroaig 18 because I think it's a touch more accessible if you're not peat and smoke crazy. Lagavulin 16 would also be a popular choice, ($70-80), television has led me to believe this is common as a "gift" scotch but if anyone ever bought me a bottle of any of these I'd love them forever.

I don't know Japanese whiskeys or higher end bourbons well enough to offer an opinion on those at those price points.

There are many great scotch choices for $75-100.

Leopold Stotch fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 25, 2015

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Leopold Stotch posted:

At that price point, if it's for myself I am buying Laphroaig 18 ($90-95) or Ardbeg Corryvreckan ($85-90). If I was buying for someone else I'd probably go with the Laphroaig 18 because I think it's a touch more accessible if you're not peat and smoke crazy. Lagavulin 16 would also be a popular choice, ($70-80), television has led me to believe this is common as a "gift" scotch but if anyone ever bought me a bottle of any of these I'd love them forever.

I don't know Japanese whiskeys or higher end bourbons well enough to offer an opinion on those at those price points.

There are many great scotch choices for $75-100.

I've seen both Laphroaig 18 and Lagavulin 16 as suggestions from some associates as well. I'll have to give those a serious look. Someone else mentioned Springbank 15. Thanks for the input.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, you're probably best going with scotch or one of the 12 yr Japanese whiskeys instead of bourbon. There's a ton of great bourbon below $75, but the stuff in the $100 range tends to be over-priced, over-hyped orphan barrel type things, or bottles that should be $30- $40 that stores are gouging people on, like Weller 12.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scotch can be very preferential though. I've had >$100 a bottle heavy peated varieties that I wouldn't drink again. Make sure your friend likes that before going that route?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
In addition to the Laphroaig 18 and Ardbeg Corryvreckan, I'd also recommend the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10. It's not nearly as good as the PC10 (or the PC5, or PC6), but at $60-70, I think it's better value for money than the either the Laphroaig or Ardbeg options.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007

2DCAT posted:

I'd also recommend the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10. It's not nearly as good as the PC10 (or the PC5, or PC6), but at $60-70, I think it's better value for money than the either the Laphroaig or Ardbeg options.

Interesting! I did not know this existed. I have a bottle of the NAS version of PC and I like it. Looking forward to trying the 10 if I can find it.

And good point on the peat/smoke, all my suggestions are probably considered heavily peated.

Leopold Stotch fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 26, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Leopold Stotch posted:

Interesting! I did not know this existed. I have a bottle of the NAS version of PC and I like it. Looking forward to trying the 10 if I can find it.

And good point on the peat/smoke, all my suggestions are probably considered heavily peated.

If you hit up wine-searcher, you should be able to find some online distribution stores that'll ship to you (depending on your state laws) on the cheap. If you're not up to date on what Bruichladdich did with the 10 series, there is now a 'split' in the line. There's the upper tier which retains the "PC" title (i.e., "PC10") and is a continuation of the PC5+ series. Then there is the new lower tier "Port Charlotte" series (i.e., "Port Charlotte 10"). So when looking through wine-searcher, if you are only seeing a bunch of $400 bottles, that's the upper tier one and not the lower one.

I've only had the PC5, PC6, PC8, and PC10 iterations, and while the Port Charlotte 10 is not nearly as good as those, it's one of those 'value for money' deals. Everyone seems to be hitting up Laphroaig, Lagavulin, and to a lesser extent (or maybe it's changed, i've moved to bourbon in the last couple of years) Ardberg, which is pushing their prices up, but the Port Charlotte is still, in my humble opinion, reasonably priced.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Ended up going with Lagavulin 16. Hoping he'll share as I've never had the pleasure of having a dram of it :)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Big Bidness posted:

bottles that should be $30- $40 that stores are gouging people on, like Weller 12.

:stare: People pay $100 for bottles of Weller 12? I'm pretty sure that doesn't break $30 where I am. Never bought it, though, so I could be wrong.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Yup, ever since the "Weller 12 is basically Pappy" bullshit started, it's impossible to find for most of the country (although some places like Texas are swimming in it for some reason) and it goes for $90- $120 on the secondary market.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Alman posted:

Ended up going with Lagavulin 16. Hoping he'll share as I've never had the pleasure of having a dram of it :)

Excellent choice; enjoy! (Hopefully)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alman posted:

It's my favorite (at least, my favorite that I can afford a bottle of).

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's my favorite (at least, my favorite that I can afford a bottle of).

It was $99 at my local liquor store. Is that about right? Seemed a little over what I expected (I was thinking more along the lines of $80).

Weller's Special Reserve is my go-to wheated shelf bourbon. Usually holds a permanent spot next to Four Roses Single Barrel and Eagle Rare. I've never had the 12 year though - I'll have to look for a reasonably priced bottle at the store.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007

Alman posted:

It was $99 at my local liquor store. Is that about right? Seemed a little over what I expected (I was thinking more along the lines of $80).

I haven't seen it at 100 (yet) but some stores in MA sell it in the nineties and I have found 20 to 30 dollar variations in price between liquor stores to be fairly common in my area. Personally since it is a gift I wouldn't sweat it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Alman posted:

Weller's Special Reserve is my go-to wheated shelf bourbon. Usually holds a permanent spot next to Four Roses Single Barrel and Eagle Rare. I've never had the 12 year though - I'll have to look for a reasonably priced bottle at the store.

For comparison, it's 102.90 at ABC stores in VA (terrible Scotch prices) and 68.65 in a nearby MD county with excellent Scotch prices.

Meowenstein
Aug 5, 2013
It's around $96 in central Iowa. We have generally high liquor prices, though.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

My local shop (in Chicago) sells Lagavulin 16 for around $90 or so, with a little note below it that says you're better off just going to Binny's, since they get a much better price on it. It's a weird place, though. I think it might be the only first-party Diageo bottling they carry.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

ChickenArise posted:

For comparison, it's 102.90 at ABC stores in VA (terrible Scotch prices) and 68.65 in a nearby MD county with excellent Scotch prices.

That's really, really odd. I usually note the inverse, with crap selection/regulated state-wide pricing at VA stores and good selection, but often inflated pricing at MD stores. Looking at the VA ABC site though, that price is correct, meaning... that MD-based store might just be the super combination of good variety and good pricing!
Slightly of note: whisk(e)y lovers + SA + DC area = a meetup at the Jack Rose is now required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

2DCAT posted:

That's really, really odd. I usually note the inverse, with crap selection/regulated state-wide pricing at VA stores and good selection, but often inflated pricing at MD stores. Looking at the VA ABC site though, that price is correct, meaning... that MD-based store might just be the super combination of good variety and good pricing!
Slightly of note: whisk(e)y lovers + SA + DC area = a meetup at the Jack Rose is now required.

I've linked it before and it's no secret stash or anything. Highly recommend never buying Scotch in VA if you can get to MoCo. http://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/dlcsearch/