Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
And when it rains everyone just turns into the biggest shitheel. Taiwanese people always brag about how polite they are when compared to 大陸人 but you give them a vehicle or if it starts to rain and all bets are loving off. Every man on the island for his own goddamn self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

Taiwanese people always brag about how polite they are when compared to 大陸人
As long as no (sober) Taiwanese are making GBS threads in public view, Taiwanese will always be right about that, no matter how bad they get.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Taiwanese are pretty aggressive drivers but I don't see much actual road rage. Honking for example is really rare. I bike around at the fastest speed possible almost all of the time and just about every day I have near-incidents that end with both me and the other person being all PAISEI PAISEI BUHAOYISI SORRY like we're goddamn Canadians.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't know man. I hear honking all the time, but maybe it's just that the when there's honking it's so goddamn inappropriate. Usually it's because there's a red light and someone wants to turn left and just forces his way into the intersection because gently caress you. The honking in this example is from the person who wants to turn left on a red.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Honking is for:
  • I need to get by so please pick a lane
  • I'm impatient even though there's someone in front of you
  • You're potentially in my way and I don't want to slow down don't inconvenience me
  • You're going 70 in a 100 for some reason and just changed to my lane and fucccckkkkkkkkkkkk
  • I'm coming through even though the light is red but it's okay for me anyway because I'm honking
  • Wake up so you don't kill someone, thanks
  • Hey. Hey. Hey. I'm here. Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey. Hey. Come on down. Hey. Hey.
  • fun

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

just about every day I have near-incidents that end with both me and the other person being all PAISEI PAISEI BUHAOYISI SORRY like we're goddamn Canadians.
Except Canadians at least pretend they mean it.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

hitension posted:

Honking for example is really rare.

Sorry, but this is just the wrongest thing.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

I just spent the last 3 weeks taking my friend from the States around Taiwan on her first trip here and that was one of her main observations, little to no road rage :confused: I can try to observe traffic again this morning

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The only place I've ever driven outside the US is Taipei. The first few times it was scary as gently caress because of the swarm of mopeds buzzing around my car like angry bees. But I eventually realized that the key to driving in Taipei is to do whatever the gently caress you want as long as you telegraph it massively in advance so the swarm can react. There is indeed, in my experience, relatively little horn honking for a city of that size.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Bloodnose posted:

The only place I've ever driven outside the US is Taipei. The first few times it was scary as gently caress because of the swarm of mopeds buzzing around my car like angry bees. But I eventually realized that the key to driving in Taipei is to do whatever the gently caress you want as long as you telegraph it massively in advance so the swarm can react. There is indeed, in my experience, relatively little horn honking for a city of that size.

Rule 1 of being on a road in Taipei: Eyes front.

Anything that happens behind you is a potential lawsuit in your favor. Anything that happens in front of you is just the opposite. Everybody knows this so don't worry too much about behind you.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The key to driving in Taipei is to let someone else do it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

This is how I ended up driving in Taipei. "Oh hey you have an American license. Those are fine in Taipei" (no idea if this is true or not) "I'm gonna drink a lot so you drive us home" (happens 10 more times).

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the key to driving everywhere except North America and Western Europe.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Bloodnose posted:

"Oh hey you have an American license. Those are fine in Taipei"

Most certainly not.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

I am maintaining my position that almost nobody honks
I also live on a major street and while I have been woken up by the sound of dozens of scooters revving up simultaneously after one of those 90 second stop lights, I've never been woken up by the sound of honking.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Maybe it's because I'm from the midwest and you are never to honk your horn ever. I hear multiple honks just walking to work every day.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Same; my understanding is that US honking is an immediate "gently caress you", where as here it fulfills various purposes that can run all the way from "hey guy" to "gently caress you", and "gently caress you" is usually when they yell at you personally.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

Maybe it's because I'm from the midwest and you are never to honk your horn ever. I hear multiple honks just walking to work every day.

I started thinking about honking here in Chengdu and I realized I hardly ever hear it compared to cities like Shanghai. Probably cause everyone rides bikes.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I hear occasional honking, but back home people will honk their horns when passing a friend's house, when someone needs to get out of the way, to cover a fart....

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
The worst part about driving here is that some people really just don't understand what the gently caress is happening on the roads.

Cars are constantly turning at the most inopportune times into traffic. When they see traffic coming from both sides, they slam on the brakes and stop dead in the middle of the road blocking all lanes. What exactly are they even thinking at this moment? The solution to every situation is not brake really hard.

Bloodnose posted:

This is how I ended up driving in Taipei. "Oh hey you have an American license. Those are fine in Taipei" (no idea if this is true or not) "I'm gonna drink a lot so you drive us home" (happens 10 more times).

This reminds me of a guy I used to drink with a lot in Taipei. He was making 100k+ a month while sending shitloads of money on alcohol and whatever else every day. None of us ever asked what exactly he did, but in any case he never let anyone pay for anything. He cut a deal with the place we (6~8 of us) always went to pay 30k monthly for all you can eat/drink every day.

Cops don't usually pull over cab drivers for any reason, even drunk driving unless it is really obvious. He drove a taxi. He wasn't a cab driver, but he bought a car and did it up like a taxi so he could drive home drunk. :downs: I had to drive the cab home a few times when he was really too far gone.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

If 100k NTD is a lot it looks like wages in Taipei are still low.

Get better wages, Taipei (or somewhere else in Taiwan)! Start hiring in Taiwan instead of Shenzhen, Shanghai and Chengdu, Taiwanese companies! Maybe some day I can live there and breathe real air!!

I guess in retrospect college and grad school were both Bad Ideas. I would recommend no one do those things!!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

If 100k NTD is a lot it looks like wages in Taipei are still low.
100k a month would be goddamned amazing.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
:stare: Google tells me that's just US 40 grand a year.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Google would be correct.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
100k a month will let you live like a king even in the downtowniest parts of downtown Taipei.

Sometimes I have good days, sometimes I have bad days, but I will never get sick of how goddamn cheap this country is.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
100K in Taiwan is really high. Unless you own your own successful business, is a mid level manager, or you get performance bouns and you are drat good at your job, or I guess work over time and get paid for it you are only going to make half of that.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
What would it cost to buy like a 3500 square foot townhouse or condo in the best (BEST) Taipei neighborhood? Do Taiwanese not drive up real estate the way ethnic Chinese everywhere else seem to?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I looked at some jobs a while ago in Taiwan cause I think it is an objectively better place than the mainland in a lot of ways, but the pay was too low across the board and benefits actually worse than the companies I was looking at in the mainland. I couldn't make it work with my loans and junk. It was really depressing, especially since a lot of those Taiwanese companies had positions in Shenzhen and Shanghai with way higher wages and benefits. It's been a few years since I lived in Taipei but iirc the cost of living in Taipei is not much lower than Shenzhen.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Well more than 100k a month can afford, at least. I should've clarified: 100k a month will let you live like a king in a small house in downtown Taipei.

Anyway, I dunno if you can even find 100坪 apartments in Taipei. Regardless, a cursory glance on 591: 46k for a 45坪 (1600 sqft) in Tianmu (far from the city but reasonably upscale), 45,000 for a 25坪 in Datong (just outside downtown), 120,000 for a 35坪 in Zhongshan (a few blocks away from Main Station.) So yeah, if you wanna live in a 50坪 right outside 101, 100k/mo won't cut it, but man you can get something nice with that scratch if you wanna live in a smaller place.

drat, I wanna move now.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

What would it cost to buy like a 3500 square foot townhouse or condo in the best (BEST) Taipei neighborhood?
Right now? Either your first-born child or your immortal soul, whichever one you value higher.

quote:

Do Taiwanese not drive up real estate the way ethnic Chinese everywhere else seem to?
Hoooooo boy do they. It's been a common complaint for a couple of years now that property is insanely expensive, at least in Taipei, and people are speculating the bubble's about to burst.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Those are tatami mat units, aren't they? :japan: You'll never be fully decolonized, Taiwan.

When I visit Taipei, I stay with my uncle who lives in what I'd guess is a 45 tatami mat place catty-corner to 101. I think we figured out it costs roughly the same as my 700 square foot Hong Kong apartment in the suburbs, which is about US$1300.

It's cool and all but he makes a lot more than US 40 grand and is far from living like a king. But maybe it's that neighborhood that's a lot more expensive than you Taipei goons are used to? Having a family of 4 might also have something to do with it.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I've always my whole life had a hard time visualizing square feet, 坪 is somehow easier for me. v0v

I mean, it's a big city with a big tall building, and in any big city with a big tall building, living right next to the big tall building is going to cost a fortune. Nobody really needs to live in the Xinyi downtown district though. I pay less than 10000NT a month and I live 5 minutes away from the city. Iono.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Tatami mats are around, but I don't think they're a major thing really.

When you get farther and farther from a city center, housing gets exponentially more affordable and/or pimped out. If you want to live dead center in the middle of the city, you will most certainly pay for it.

Other than that, national health insurance is rad as gently caress.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

What the crap is catty corner?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/kitty-corner

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Might be a southern colloquialism. I think I picked it up from my Texan mom, but it's useful* to describe that very specific positioning!

*assuming you don't have to then spend time defining it as we clearly have

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Oh yeah living in the stupid expensive part of town is stupid expensive.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Spanish Matlock posted:

Oh yeah living in the stupid expensive part of town is stupid expensive.

Now living above a brothel, that's the sweet spot.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

duckfarts posted:

Tatami mats are around, but I don't think they're a major thing really.

Most houses I've been to in Taiwan have like one room that is the Japanese style room, with tatami mats, roll-out futon mattresses, etc. I think it's kinda neat.

Magna Kaser posted:

斜對面 in Chinese

I only learned that English word after learning the Chinese word, and being like "huh... so diagonally across from? I don't think we have that word in English", looking it up in the dictionary and there you have it

I thought it was called "kitty corner" though...

Bloodnose posted:

Do Taiwanese not drive up real estate the way ethnic Chinese everywhere else seem to?
Re: Ethnically Chinese people and buying houses obsession-->housing bubble. It is definitely an issue here too. BUYING in Taipei is horrible but RENTING is incredibly cheap.
Also buying houses outside of Taipei apparently isn't that bad either. People got mad huge houses in the south, like 4 stories.

For renting....
My apartment is in one of the nicest areas (Da'an) a few minutes walk or bike to a major park, 3 MRT stations(can get to any of the lines), universities(Taida, Shida, Taikeda/Beijiaoda too but who cares), the best food street (YongKang), 3 night markets (Shida, Tonghua, Gongguan), never get bugs (1 cockroach per year), free Wifi/Cable/fridge/furniture, and it is a clean and modern building. It literally costs 1/4 of what a similar apartment would cost in my hometown Boston for: an apartment in a high crime area, with bus only for public transit, with heating/electricity/etc breaking down often, infested with rats.

duckfarts posted:

Other than that, national health insurance is rad as gently caress.

Health insurance, student loans, and driving a car are the main USA-related expenses I avoid here. I think it's worth it.

Average salaries in Taiwan though? Horrible.
Originally the average monthly salary for a recent grad was 30k -- plenty to live a comfortable life, but not saving much for the future, and kids would be kinda hard for the first few years. Then, the government started a program where they would pay 22K to companies to hire recent grads, "Hey companies, now you only need to pay 8k to hire a fresh young face!!!" Yeah... no, companies interpreted this as "Now I can get young people to work for me for FREE". So the starting wage became 22k, or something more like 25k (consolation "at least we're not giving you 22k", even though it is LOWER than what the starting wage used to be) 40-50k a month is pretty decent for a young person -- middle class.

Luckily for foreigners, there is some regulation that we must get a higher minimum wage, ~40k?

People really overestimate how much money you need to live though. As a poor student, I live off of less than 30k a month, but I can do everything I want honestly, I eat ice cream every day, I'm even buying a scooter next month!

hitension fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

Luckily for foreigners, there is some regulation that we must get a higher minimum wage, ~40k?
And as we all know, Taiwanese bosses always strictly adhere to regulations and never just lie to the authorities.