Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

They couldnčt care less about the lives of their allies or the citizens they were 'liberating'.

VanSandman posted:

'gently caress you, into the grinder,' and nobody gets a happy ending.

Those are both pretty much true of the Iron Warriors, as well as the Iron Hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

For those of you that really liked Wrath of Iron, Hammer and Bolter vol 1 has another short Iron Hands story by Chris Wraight. It's called "Flesh" and touches on most of the same themes.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
I really wish they'd switch the names of the Iron Warriors and Iron Hands. Annoys me the legion that is all about doing away with the flesh for cold metal anatomy are the Iron Hands while the legion that prides itself for punching through defenses of all kinds are the Iron Warriors.

Though I guess that opens me up to jokes of Omega Legion and the Salamanders being the new Dark Angels.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Khizan posted:

Those are both pretty much true of the Iron Warriors, as well as the Iron Hands.
Yeah, but the Iron Hands are supposed to be the good guys...

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, but the Iron Hands are supposed to be the good guys...

Eh. Define good.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Really, there are no good guys in 40k(maybe the Salamanders?). The Iron Hands are supposed to be the "slightly less evil" side.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

VanSandman posted:

Eh. Define good.

Good = Not Heresy

(According to the great Adeptus officials, whose word it is heresy to question)

vvvv Heresy.

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 25, 2013

Fideles
Sep 17, 2013

One Legged Cat posted:

Good = Not Heresy

(According to the great Adeptus officials, whose word it is heresy to question)

Although not committing heresy is not necessarily equal to "good" but it may give you a fighting chance of surviving. As for Space Marine books, I personally would avoid the Ultramarine series which was Graham McNeil if I remember correctly.

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:

Fideles posted:

Although not committing heresy is not necessarily equal to "good" but it may give you a fighting chance of surviving. As for Space Marine books, I personally would avoid the Ultramarine series which was Graham McNeil if I remember correctly.

Anything with Honsou in it is totally fine

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Agentdark posted:

Anything with Honsou in it is totally fine

Ehhh pass. They were still pretty awful.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Guy Haley just released a Space Marine Battle novel that I was thinking of picking up. Has anyone read it, or his Baneblade novel?

What other stories, aside from Nemesis and the short from the Iron Warriors omnibus, can I read about Eversor assassins? Aside from a Greater Demon or maybe a dreadnaught they seem like the toughest things in the galaxy.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Ego-bot posted:

What other stories, aside from Nemesis and the short from the Iron Warriors omnibus, can I read about Eversor assassins? Aside from a Greater Demon or maybe a dreadnaught they seem like the toughest things in the galaxy.

There's a thousand word short about an Eversor going after a traitor governor and is so short that you're better off just concocting your own tale based on what I've told you. It was called Army of One.

The old Warhammer Monthly comics had a few stories with assassins in them. I think each temple minus the intelligence arm got one. But I can't for the life of me find info on the names or which issues they were in to narrow the search down for you. Sorry.

Lead Psychiatry fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 26, 2013

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The Vindicare one is on 1d4chan. Would it be against forum copyright rules to link it? It's 8 pages.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

William Bear posted:

The Vindicare one is on 1d4chan. Would it be against forum copyright rules to link it? It's 8 pages.

Pretty sure if it's on 1d4chan it's publicly available.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Does the Poe inspired Eversor poem count as an Eversor story?

quote:

The Raven

-By Pat Marstall with help from some dead UVA grad (the only good kind).

Once upon a battlefield dreary, where I cowered, spent and bleary,
Within an Imperial bunker, darkly stained with dust and gore -
As I cowered, nearly shuttering, suddenly there came a sputtering
As some weapon quickly stuttering - firing at my bunker door.
"`Tis some bolter", I murmmered, "firing at my bunker door -
Only this and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak December,
And the brightly burning bastions lit the horizion by the score.
Eagerly, on freedom drunker; - vainly had I sought to hunker
In this heavy Imperial bunker - with perhaps a tunnel in the floor -
A safe and empty fortress with perhaps a tiny tunnel in the floor -
Only this and nothing more.

And the mad raving howling of each distant Space Wolf prowling
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before.
So that now, to the beating of my heart, I stood entreating
"`Tis some Space Wolf there repeating, firing at my bunker door -
Some common Grey Hunter rapid-firing at my bunker door -
This it is and nothing more."

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer
"Marine," said I, "or Scout, your attention I implore;
The bunker walls are thick - they are made of tempered brick
And your bolters do not nick the slightest scratch or tiny score -
Not a dimple, dent, depression, dip, scratch or tiny score -
Away now, and fire no more."

Then in the bunker slumping, presently I heard a thumping
A pounding - rattling many times fiercer than before.
And soon I began to screech - the bunker wall grenades did breach;
The very gods I did beseech as the ceiling fell upon the floor -
Through the wounds poured light which danced upon the floor -
Danced amidst the sounds of war.

Then at once it stopped the violence - I was left alone with silence
Confused, I spied the reason why the shells did drop no more -
For as I began to shutter, then with many a flit and flutter
a psyber-Raven flew through the clutter to perch above the door -
Perched on the two-headed eagle just above the bunker door -
Perched and sat and nothing more.

At this I grew more craven, for the talons of the psyber-Raven
Were all over covered with bright red blood and crimson gore.
"Wretch!" I cried, "Njal hath lent thee - into this fortress has he sent thee
So that remotely may he here be - and this bunker then explore -
Scry out my exact location and this bunker then explore -"
Quoth the Raven, "Eversor"

Then, methought, the air grew darker, the bunker now a little starker
For the uttered word brought terror as I had never felt before.
As for weapons, I knew I had none - no bolter, sword or lasgun;
No arms to stop the war's son fated to break soon through the door -
The blood-mad crazed assassin fated to break soon through the door-

"Be that word our sign of parting, machine or bird!" I shrieked, upstarting -
"Get thee back into the fire-fight and here spy on me no more!
For as you came unbidden - I would otherwise be here hidden -
Leave my location in this midden - quit that icon above my door!
Take thy shining metal eye, and take thy form from off my door!"

And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting - still is sitting
On the pallid two-headed eagle just above the bunker door;
His metal eye has all the seeming of a psyker that is scheming,
To have my guts lie steaming in a pile upon the floor;
And now all hope has left me, crouched here upon the floor
I await the Eversor!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There was also some Vindicaire action in the Krieg/Dark Angels/Alpha Legion/Chaos Cultists Forgeworld book. (Can't remember the name of the planet)

But besides that, I'm drawing a blank here. :v:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ego-bot posted:

Guy Haley just released a Space Marine Battle novel that I was thinking of picking up. Has anyone read it, or his Baneblade novel?
I'm currently reading Baneblade - it's alright, though it hops back and forth in time with the main character, and that always drives me crazy in a book. It starts off pretty cool with the consecration (that literally takes years) of a Baneblade on Mars. I'm about halfway through, and there hasn't been a ton of Baneblade action though - so far it is a lot of "This is how we do things on a Baneblade." It certainly isn't terrible though, and it does have some wily Blood Axes popping up all over.

Azran posted:

There was also some Vindicaire action in the Krieg/Dark Angels/Alpha Legion/Chaos Cultists Forgeworld book. (Can't remember the name of the planet)
The Siege of Vraks? I've read books one and two, and don't remember seeing any assassins - maybe the third book? I haven't read that one yet.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think I started reading Baneblade in a book store and I got super confused because the scale seemed way off. There was a bit where they were running through hallways in the Baneblade and they're big but I don't think they're like 'we have a Starbucks in here!' big.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I think I started reading Baneblade in a book store and I got super confused because the scale seemed way off. There was a bit where they were running through hallways in the Baneblade and they're big but I don't think they're like 'we have a Starbucks in here!' big.

They're pretty big. They can be equipped to hunt Titans.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're not all that big though. Corridors are probably not a thing.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I can imagine there being a central passage, but it would probably be very short and extremely cramped.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
A Baneblade is about 40 feet long and 20 feet tall, so when you realize that is roughly two stories in height, it's pretty easy to imagine passageways. The story explains that things are tight though, so if you've ever been on a WW2 submarine, I imagine that's the scale you're dealing with. There is a scene where an Ork gets into a Baneblade and winds up getting stuck in a passage because he's just too big to turn around.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I would imagine a lot of that space would be dedicated to the machinery that, you know, moves it around. An M1 Abrams is around half that size (slightly more than half in length, slightly less than half in height) and it looks like its like sitting in stuffy cubicles.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I would imagine a lot of that space would be dedicated to the machinery that, you know, moves it around. An M1 Abrams is around half that size (slightly more than half in length, slightly less than half in height) and it looks like its like sitting in stuffy cubicles.

That would be one quarter sized, then.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Makes you wonder how they fit Space Marines in there back in the pre-Heresy days. Of course, component modules might have been significantly smaller back in those days due to better technology.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Cream_Filling posted:

Makes you wonder how they fit Space Marines in there back in the pre-Heresy days. Of course, component modules might have been significantly smaller back in those days due to better technology.

Magnetic boots. Those space marines weren't so much cargo as extra armor.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

A Baneblade is about 40 feet long and 20 feet tall, so when you realize that is roughly two stories in height, it's pretty easy to imagine passageways. The story explains that things are tight though, so if you've ever been on a WW2 submarine, I imagine that's the scale you're dealing with. There is a scene where an Ork gets into a Baneblade and winds up getting stuck in a passage because he's just too big to turn around.
A whole story of that is just turret though, it's not a single large section. There'd probably be a large turret well too. I kind of want to see some cross-sections now.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
There's a Baneblade cross section in one of the Imperial Armor books.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Here ya go.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is a lot bigger than 20' x 40', and seems to be way out of scale with the 40k scale minis. The Epic ones fit fine though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

That is a lot bigger than 20' x 40', and seems to be way out of scale with the 40k scale minis. The Epic ones fit fine though.

Eh, none of the 40k minis are particularly well scaled. You sure as hell can't fit more than a few marines in a Rhino.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah unless it is crewed by pygmy infant squats or something that's not 20 x 40.

The most productive of derails.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That's what squats are for. I don't care that they only sort of exist now.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
It was mentioned earlier in this thread that the Emperor didn't warn his Primarchs, except Magnus, about the existence of Chaos and the Ruinous Powers. How can that be if the Primarchs are all psykers? Psykers constantly feel daemons scratching at the door in their mind. How did the sanctioned psykers of the Great Crusade deal with them if they were not privvy to their nature?

jng2058 posted:

Here ya go.

I notice there are a lot of skulls with wires sticking out of them. Are those cogitators? I heard the Imperium uses cyborg humans because fully synthetic intelligences are banned.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

That is completely in scale with the GW 40K model: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3300449a_99120105051_2013Baneblade01Baneblade_873x627.jpg But for the main gun elevation, you can overlay the two images and they are almost an exact match.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Eh... kind of. The Baneblade tank commander is a teeny tiny short man. The other IG stuff I have is a head taller than him. Even so, the guns on the cutout are smaller than on the mini, and the dude manning the pintle is really skinny compared to the mini too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm currently reading Baneblade - it's alright, though it hops back and forth in time with the main character, and that always drives me crazy in a book. It starts off pretty cool with the consecration (that literally takes years) of a Baneblade on Mars. I'm about halfway through, and there hasn't been a ton of Baneblade action though - so far it is a lot of "This is how we do things on a Baneblade." It certainly isn't terrible though, and it does have some wily Blood Axes popping up all over.

The Siege of Vraks? I've read books one and two, and don't remember seeing any assassins - maybe the third book? I haven't read that one yet.

First book, actually. They sent a Vindicaire to kill the planetary governor, and the shot was absorbed by his refractor field. The assassin tried to escape, but got killed - that sends the people into a rage against the Imperium IIRC.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Azran posted:

First book, actually. They sent a Vindicaire to kill the planetary governor, and the shot was absorbed by his refractor field. The assassin tried to escape, but got killed - that sends the people into a rage against the Imperium IIRC.
Oh, that does sound familiar. I must have forgotten about it since I read the book so long ago.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Azran posted:

Makes perfect sense. It's not like the Vindicare would have any way of telling that the governor is protected by a refractor field and have, say, shield-breaker ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Baron Bifford posted:

I notice there are a lot of skulls with wires sticking out of them. Are those cogitators? I heard the Imperium uses cyborg humans because fully synthetic intelligences are banned.

Yep, i think so. They use VERY few AIs, though most of the bigger machines do have them (machine spirits), baneblades included. But computers don't really exist IIRC, they're most human-brain powered instead.

Most of the tanks are pretty well scaled, it's just that the people are disproportionately scaled and actually sculpted on scales quite a bit larger than some of the vehicles.