Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
So I was looking at my Fluval Spec V just now and I noticed that the bottom trim is a little bit cracked! :gonk:

If I just superglue it will it be alright? It's only 5 gallons so its not a huge amount of weight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Superglue is pretty brittle, maybe some kind of epoxy would give better structural support? I don't think the base holds the glass together though right? It just "carries" the weight of the tank, the silicone inside is still holding the glass together so it shouldn't leak. Is your tank still under warranty? Might be worth looking into since that kind of failure might be covered.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
Yeah it doesn't hold the glass together. No leaks. I have to go to home depot some time this week anyways. Any suggestions on an epoxy? I purchased a display model so no warranty, unfortunately.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stoca Zola posted:

Enos your plumbing confuses me, it'd be cool to see the big picture to see which way the water flows.

Basically, I have two overflows, one in each corner. Each overflow has one drain and one return.

My mag12 return pump goes up from the sump into a T, which splits it to both returns. In a saltwater tank I'd probably run a gate valve on each side of the T to fine tune the flow, but that doesn't matter as much in FW.

The drain lines stay separate, and flow into a dual filter sock. Each drain has a ball valve to shut it off when necessary. There are also unions put in place on each line, to make it easy to take apart if needed.

I used oversized spa flex pvc and fittings to maximize flow. My first time using the flex pvc, and it made plumbing everything so much easier.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Hmm I'm trying to remember how adhesives work. Superglue cyanoacrylate type glues you want your two pieces to be as smooth and flush with each other as possible and you press them together to make the glue as thin as possible for a strong hold. Epoxy now that I think of it does not grip on to shiny plastic very well, you usually want a slightly rough surface to get a good grip. You can probably get a good finish with a two part epoxy putty, there are a heap of brands with varying final strengths and flexibility, I've used milliput and loctite brand yellow/blue strips, milliput doesn't have as shiny a finish but it mixes and sets really well, whereas loctite can have a really good final finish especially if you smooth it over with something like the edge of a credit card, wetted so it doesn't stick, however the part of the strip where the yellow and blue meets often goes "off" so you end up with lumpy bits in your putty that you have to pick out. Actually I think there is a better quality version of milliput in a smoother finish, it doesn't really matter what colour it is because you can smooth it out and paint over it. I can't really tell from your picture but I imagine you could force the putty into the split in the plastic and then smooth over it to both fill the gap and hold both sides together.

quote:

...two returns
Ahhhh Enos, two returns makes sense, I have seen the two corner overflow set up on a design for a saltwater tank before now that I think of it. It was definitely the T join that was throwing me off.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Stoca Zola posted:

Glue stuff

Going to grab some epoxy and see what happens. It seems to be a minor crack and I don't plan on moving the tank anytime soon so I probably dont need to worry about the corner spontaneously failing?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Got heatup to 86, with about 15 tbsp of salt in a 29 gallon. The ich spots have mostly disappeared and everyone seems to be handling it okay after a day and a half. My java moss is now brown though.

Also have a 10 gallon tank I am setting up and I am thinking of good stock options. The original plan was just shrimp, but I am thinking a pair of dwarf puffers would be neat. I am seeing anywhere from 3-5 gallons per fish for puffers, but I would rather fish thrive than just meet the minimum. Would 10 gallons be good for a male and female pair? Also, where can I get them? I see live aquaria sells them, but I can't choose sex.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So I'm pretty fearful of adding plants to my tank. I'm worried about snail infestations and the potential for disease. Should I get some alum for an initial snail-killing and QT the plants? I won't need to run a filter or anything on something plants are just hanging out in, right?

Am I worrying too much?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

So I'm pretty fearful of adding plants to my tank. I'm worried about snail infestations and the potential for disease. Should I get some alum for an initial snail-killing and QT the plants? I won't need to run a filter or anything on something plants are just hanging out in, right?

Am I worrying too much?

I have had snail hickhikers and even a fish egg hitchhiker, but I haven't had issues with disease before. If you keep plants, you're probably going to get snails at some point. Some people do baths for their plants, but I don't know how much good quarantine would do since you can't see problems, unlike with fish. Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of people who sell plants from their own aquariums online don't keep fish in their tanks. Bathe if you're feeling cautious, but a lot of people don't.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I have had snail hickhikers and even a fish egg hitchhiker, but I haven't had issues with disease before. If you keep plants, you're probably going to get snails at some point. Some people do baths for their plants, but I don't know how much good quarantine would do since you can't see problems, unlike with fish. Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of people who sell plants from their own aquariums online don't keep fish in their tanks. Bathe if you're feeling cautious, but a lot of people don't.

I think I read people QT plants so that if there are any parasites or whatever there is no host and they die off.

I got some dwarf grass at a local pet store that specializes in aquariums (but also said ridiculous thing like "get a loach for snails" even though they are schooling fish), and the plants are in tanks where I definitely saw small snails. No fish, though.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010

Stoca Zola posted:

I remember seeing some hypothetical hybrids between CPDs and dwarf emerald rasboras, like this one:

she has the spots but not the same fins. So they aren't recommended to be kept together if you're serious about keeping genetic purity etc.

Holy crap that's a beautiful fish. Is that a Photoshop interpretation of what it /would/ look like if they bred? Honestly I would be thrilled if all of mine interbred as long as it didn't negatively affect the offspring's health in any way. I'm not expecting any of mine to produce any fry at all so I would be pleasantly surprised if any of them did.

Any idea how long snails can stay hidden in their shells until you have to just accept that they're dead and not hiding because of stress? I have two baby Sulawesis who have not moved or come out of their shells at all in the last 24 hours. I haven't done the sniff test because I wanted to give them a chance to come out on their own if they are alive but I am beginning to have doubts. I have half a dozen new juvenile mystery snails coming tomorrow so at least after then I will have a Dead Body Detection Task Force in the tank since rabbit snails are not useful for finding dead animals like mysteries and ramshorns are.

republicant fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 20, 2015

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
My LFS has two Fluval 405 canister filters for $20 each that are missing some parts, and I came pretty close to buying them until I realized that I have absolutely no use for a filter of that capacity (also the part will be very hard to get most likely). It seems like such a good deal though :(

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

Coolwhoami posted:

My LFS has two Fluval 405 canister filters for $20 each that are missing some parts, and I came pretty close to buying them until I realized that I have absolutely no use for a filter of that capacity (also the part will be very hard to get most likely). It seems like such a good deal though :(

Amazon is your friend with things like this. I bought an Eheim 2211 for something like $30 because a couple of fittings were broken. Picked up new parts off Amazon for $10 and its running my 55gal now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cleaned the larger tank up, still shameful. I really like the java fern for the way it looks but not how it throws babies
Everywhere so might toss it.

Loaches are in there and always hiding, dicks.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I'm wondering if I could fit a 5 or 10 gallon under my window sill. I'd need a very short stand for it. The other part of the problem is I also have a dog, but he's tiny. He could probably jump in if he really wanted to, but that would probably be a one time thing.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I'm wondering if I could fit a 5 or 10 gallon under my window sill. I'd need a very short stand for it. The other part of the problem is I also have a dog, but he's tiny. He could probably jump in if he really wanted to, but that would probably be a one time thing.

Probably would want a very sturdy stand for it more than anything, 50-55 pounds of tank (for a 5 gallon) is probably light enough to get knocked over, even by a small dog.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Coolwhoami posted:

Probably would want a very sturdy stand for it more than anything, 50-55 pounds of tank (for a 5 gallon) is probably light enough to get knocked over, even by a small dog.

It was a pipe dream anyway.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'm looking to restock my 75. My little boy has taken an interest in watching my fish and I'd like to make it more active for him. Right now I just have 2 sunfish I am ready to rehome.

Looking for some ideas to restock. My tank has a sand bottom, big rocks, 2 nice big pieces of manzanita and some good fake plants.

Id like to put active fish in the tank that he can watch with me. I've always pretty much kept CA/SA cichlids so that's all I really know.

Reaching out here for ideas.

I was thinking maybe a Firemouth, a couple severums, a blue acara, a green phantom pleco, some corys and or pictus cats and a school or two of larger tetras.

I'm used to bigger aggressive fish but I've always been a secret fan of opaline and blue gourami but I've never kept them.

Whale Cancer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 21, 2015

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

drat, I put these 2 little pots into a shallow tub of water for temporary storage and like 8 tiny shrimp things are swimming around the water.

Are all these stowaways pretty typical?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes. Yes they are.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Yes. Yes they are.

My dreams of a planted tank are quickly becoming more fraught with peril. I guess I'll just start doing alum soaks or something. For whatever reason I'm super scared of a snail infestation.

I guess fish would just eat the shrimps?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

drat, I put these 2 little pots into a shallow tub of water for temporary storage and like 8 tiny shrimp things are swimming around the water.

Are all these stowaways pretty typical?

Snails are common, but shrimp are more unusual. My guess would be either cherry or ghost shrimp, but it depends on where the plants themselves came from. If they're originally from an outdoor pond you might have something from the southeast US.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah unless you're growing from seeds in a sealed environment there's inevitably hitchhikers. Yeah fish would love those extra snacks.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Some more progress on the tank area. I taped up a plain back background and hung some photos I took on a past trip to the aquarium.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Looking good!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Anyone else have some of their Malaysian driftwood go really soft? I've got two pieces that are 3 years old now and they've turned mushy in parts or easily break.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Snail infestations are like the cold sores and HPV of the aquarium world, most people just kind of insidiously end up with them no matter what. It's always a great excuse to have a tank of freshwater puffers so you can just use the snails as a free source of food for them.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Whale Cancer posted:

I'm looking to restock my 75. My little boy has taken an interest in watching my fish and I'd like to make it more active for him. Right now I just have 2 sunfish I am ready to rehome.

Looking for some ideas to restock. My tank has a sand bottom, big rocks, 2 nice big pieces of manzanita and some good fake plants.

Id like to put active fish in the tank that he can watch with me. I've always pretty much kept CA/SA cichlids so that's all I really know.

Reaching out here for ideas.

I was thinking maybe a Firemouth, a couple severums, a blue acara, a green phantom pleco, some corys and or pictus cats and a school or two of larger tetras.

I'm used to bigger aggressive fish but I've always been a secret fan of opaline and blue gourami but I've never kept them.

Honestly? Three-spot gourami are usually grumpy little cusses who'd probably do just fine with medium SA cichlids. I had a lavender male who attacked me repeatedly, they really aren't afraid of anything.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Shakenbaker posted:

Honestly? Three-spot gourami are usually grumpy little cusses who'd probably do just fine with medium SA cichlids. I had a lavender male who attacked me repeatedly, they really aren't afraid of anything.

I've heard gourami are mean little bastards. Aside from the giants which ones are the larger ones? I know I've seen 5' gourami in shops before.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007
Biggest thing for gourami is current in the tank AFAIK, something to watch for. Celestial danios might be a cool option in sufficient number, very pretty and will be quite active in their schooling which can be fun to watch (versus smaller tetras which sometimes kinda just sit there).

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've got a soft spot for rosy barbs as fairly active and friendly fish, they are visibly interested in me (and beg for food) when I'm near the tank, they like picking at sand and are always on the go. Golden dwarf barbs, checker barbs, odessa or cherry barbs might be good alternatives. Mine nibble at my arm hair and follow the gravel vac around when I'm cleaning the tank. Very well behaved in a decent sized school, timid and stressed with 5 and under fish. They are messy though and have a high bioload. A school of tetras would be much more placid and relaxing to watch than a school of barbs.

Cories are awesome too, my niece loves that they "have whiskers like a cat, and snuffle the ground like a dog".

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I didn't even think of the current. I'm running an FX6 on my 75 so Gourami's might be out of the question. I suppose I could turn down the flow though.

I do like the look of cherry barbs. One thing I just thought of are Dennison Barbs. There is actually a shop I can get them for a pretty decent price.

CPD's are really good looking fish, but they are a bit small and shy.

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
2 of my diamond tetras have noticeable bites taken out of their fins and I just saw one bite another one and I think I'm just going to get rid of all of them. They are my least favorite fish out of all that I have, they're just big, awkward, and neurotic, not interesting to watch and you can't net them without them panicking, injuring themselves and freaking out everything else in the tank. My problems with them are only made worse by the fact that I have 3 when you're not supposed to have less than 5; my SO saw them at Petco for free and the employee recommended he get 3 since we had a ten gallon tank at the time (months ago). I have never seen them in any local fish stores again and online my choices are either to buy 10 of them or to spend $30+ for two of them. I'm kind of starting to hate them so I think it's time to donate them to my LFS and free up space for another school of emerald dwarf rasboras.

republicant fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 21, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

republicant posted:

my SO saw them at Petco for free

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

republicant
Apr 5, 2010
Nah it was at least seven months ago. The diamond tetras have been around nearly as long as my betta and my turtle, they were some of the very first things we got. I don't blame him since he was offered cool-looking fish for free and didn't have a phone on hand to look them up at the store. The reason I've kept them around so long is that they were our original fish and I believe you should keep pets until they die and not rehome them on a whim, but I can't stand to see them shredding each other.

republicant fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 21, 2015

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Whale Cancer posted:

CPD's are really good looking fish, but they are a bit small and shy.
CPDs look great but they really are a face smudge fish.

republicant posted:

They are my least favorite fish out of all that I have, they're just big, awkward, and neurotic, not interesting to watch and you can't net them without them panicking, injuring themselves and freaking out everything else in the tank.
I actually really like the look of diamond tetras, but in ~5 years of selling fish, they were the only small-medium community fish I consistently had trouble catching. And that's just in 10-20 gallon tanks, anything bigger than that makes for a real "nope, gently caress this" experience.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Whale Cancer posted:

I've heard gourami are mean little bastards. Aside from the giants which ones are the larger ones? I know I've seen 5' gourami in shops before.

Three-spots are the biggest of the common ones you'll see, they max out at about six inches I think. Snakeskin gourmai get up to a foot and they're about as big as you get before giants which are definitely Large Fish.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Has anyone here kept a small nano aquarium at their place of work? I'm already suffering from MTS and am looking at dropping the small amount of cash for a Fluval Spec III, a tiny heater, and a tiny gravel vac. I think I could set up a single-fish tank for a pretty betta or something like that for under $100. I just don't know if keeping something maintained at work has proved more annoying than it is worth for any of you.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

republicant posted:

Holy crap that's a beautiful fish. Is that a Photoshop interpretation of what it /would/ look like if they bred?

I forgot to answer you before, thats an actual photo, not shopped. There's a few where the patterns are a blend of the stripes of one fish and the spots of another, and another colour variant is marbling on the fins of a CPD instead of the red/black/red stripes. I think they're very closely related and if they're found in the same body of water maybe they interbreed sometimes in nature too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

ShaneB posted:

Has anyone here kept a small nano aquarium at their place of work? I'm already suffering from MTS and am looking at dropping the small amount of cash for a Fluval Spec III, a tiny heater, and a tiny gravel vac. I think I could set up a single-fish tank for a pretty betta or something like that for under $100. I just don't know if keeping something maintained at work has proved more annoying than it is worth for any of you.

I have an office tank and it's great. The spec III is a nice tank but you might want to consider the spec V. With 5 gallons you have more stocking options and it's really not that much bigger. I've had my tank about 6 months and I haven't found maintenance to be a problem at all. I do water changes bi-weekly into a bucket and scrub the sides every so often when it starts to look funky. Everyone who comes by my cube loves to watch it.

With a 5 gallon you could keep a couple of dwarf puffers and feed them snails from your tank at home. :3: