Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Tekopo posted:

in ADP there's no way to stop the Taliban from rallying, so the government should do its upmost to completely gently caress over the Coalition at any chance it gets.

That this is the intended design and also that a lot of players don't realize this at first is probably the funniest thematic game mechanic ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Didnt know if I should put this in the BG thread or not,but ill try here first: what are the opinions on Memoir '44 and Achtung! Cthulhu: Shadows over Normandie? Looking for a wargame that my buddies can ease into

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 10, 2016

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Memoir '44 is a baby game for babies that I hate, but it's decently popular among normie cardboarders, so it might work. Don't expect to do much thinking during the game.

Normandie stuff is pure, unfiltered ameritrash, not even taking the cthulhu bit into account. Whether it's good or bad kind of depends on you.

If your buddies are in serious need of gatewaying from like light euros, Memoir will probably be your best bet, but if you're used to heavier stuff, like whichever 3+ hour FFG game, jump straight to Combat Commander for fun times (just make sure to wrap your head around the rules yourself before explaining it to others).

If you're not particularly keen on sneaking in particular board-wargame mechanics (like hex-based movement or whatever) and are more looking for general "commanding little toy soldiers is fun" vibe, go out there and embrace Warhammer: Diskwars (it's more of a miniatures-style wargame).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
People ranting on Facebook about how a computer beating a Go master is no big deal because "chess and go are largely deterministic", and then going on to say that no AI would ever be able to beat an ASL master because there are too many reactionary choices to make.

I love grognards

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
No computer program can complete any dungeon I run as DM for D&D :smug:

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

People ranting on Facebook about how a computer beating a Go master is no big deal because "chess and go are largely deterministic", and then going on to say that no AI would ever be able to beat an ASL master because there are too many reactionary choices to make.

I love grognards

Not sure I want to gaze into the abyss and I'm probably asking the most "duh" question there is, but is...is there an ASL ranking system?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Not sure I want to gaze into the abyss and I'm probably asking the most "duh" question there is, but is...is there an ASL ranking system?

There is not.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Anyone wanna do some VASSAL COIN on Sunday? I'm EST but I'm pretty free that day. Down for whateva~

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

COOL CORN posted:

There is not.

Not for lack of trying http://www.asl-area.org/index.html :eng101:

Also used to be something called ROAR https://wargamecenter.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/roar-the-automated-record-of-played-asl-games/

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Advanced Squad Leader really is the Magic, The Gathering of war games isn't it.

This is coming from someone who likes and has put too much time and money into ASL.

EDIT: To be fair, you can be a dick and play MtG because there's always someone else to be an rear end in a top hat in front of play against where in the 300-page rulebook wargame with a limited audience seems to require some degree of being accommodating towards the person you trying to get to play in order to validate the ridiculous amount of cardboard that ASL.

Trynant fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 11, 2016

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

There's also the ASL ladder.

http://aslladder.com/

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Anyone wanna do some VASSAL COIN on Sunday? I'm EST but I'm pretty free that day. Down for whateva~

I'm still down for this.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm EST too and looking to play something. Liberty or Death? :D

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm free Sunday too! (dunno how many people have replied so far)

I'm up for anything.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anybody played Race to the Rhine?

It looks really intersting.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I haven't played it, but I heard it leers to the side of Euro-y rather than wargamy.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Edit: Watched Marcos review...

I think I'm gonna pass.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 11, 2016

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I started a solo FITL game as US last night. Thought I had a pretty solid grasp on the bots at this point, then I got hit with the Plei Mei event.

According to the player aid, VC choose this event if NVA is not a human player. The text reads "NVA free March from any spaces outside South Vietnam, then free Attack or Ambush any 1 space." Figuring out the priority source and target regions, as well as the number of units to move to each target region, was one of the most head-scratching experiences I've had with this game yet.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I'll be on #boardgoons on SYNIRC around 2PM EST for anyone who wants to do some VASSAL COIN. Be there or flip your hidden units to active :colbert:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I really wish I could handle VASSAL : (

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Starting a VASSAL COIN game now, just need 1 more for LoD~

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 13, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Liberty or Death trip report:

So we played a game that ended prematurely due to the deck function loving up. My conclusion is that the game really didn't need to be 4 players. The Indians and French just aren't interesting at all. If they reworked it to be 2-player it would probably be a much better game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well that's disappointing. We'll have to see what the actual 2P COIN game is going to be like, but it did feel to me that making L&D a 4P game just to stick to the COIN formula just didn't feel right.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

I love grognards

No computer has ever been able to run an ASL game.

:smuggo: Checkmate, Deep Blue.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Not technically correct anymore :smug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

Not technically correct anymore :smug:

:smuggo: Show me a functioning ASL and SASL, and I shall buy it. Tigers on the hunt or whatever is ASL-lite and we both know it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

:smuggo: Show me a functioning ASL and SASL, and I shall buy it. Tigers on the hunt or whatever is ASL-lite and we both know it.
It's not like people play full-on ASL with all the bells and whistles anyway :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

It's not like people play full-on ASL with all the bells and whistles anyway :v:

I can't comment simply because I don't know all the bells and whistles yet :cripes:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I can't comment simply because I don't know all the bells and whistles yet :cripes:
asl.txt

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 14, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Tell that to the group of guys I stopped playing with because they would always trot out some obscure rule that made every move I made terrible.

(tbh most every move I would make was terrible regardless)

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Panzeh posted:

So we played a game that ended prematurely due to the deck function loving up. My conclusion is that the game really didn't need to be 4 players. The Indians and French just aren't interesting at all. If they reworked it to be 2-player it would probably be a much better game.

Agreed, for the most part. If the scenario had played out longer due to VASSAL not loving up, I could see the French being somewhat more involved, but even then they're mostly slaves to the Patriots' goals. The Indians seem to be a lost cause -- even controlling them and the Brits, I didn't feel like the Indians provided much of anything interesting.

I'd be interested in playing some of the older COIN games (particularly CL or ADP) -- hit me up if you're looking to play. e: They seem particularly suited to PBEM, has anyone tried playing them this way?

Athaboros fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 14, 2016

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, as the French your decisions are "give the pats money" or "give the pats a cube"... that's it. Until Treaty of the Alliance comes out, that's all you can do. Even once it DOES, you still really can't do much. You can drop some troops, but you only get 12 cubes, and your movement is tied to going / being with colonials, so again... not a lot of decisions here.

I also feel like the game punishes you way too much for being on the offensive. You cant move and attack, so if your opponent has a fort and a nice blob of units, if you march in, you are just giving them a free first strike. In our game, things got stalled out into threatening stare-downs that didn't go anywhere. The pats' Brilliant Stroke lead to one of the few major assaults, but even that blew up in their face so... yeah. Maybe the pats and brits should've been more offensive, but it felt kinda risky. I don't know, I was the French, I literally had no units so...

Glad I didn't buy it, because really not for me.

Athaboros posted:

I'd be interested in playing some of the older COIN games (particularly CL or ADP) -- hit me up if you're looking to play. e: They seem particularly suited to PBEM, has anyone tried playing them this way?

I have not played PBEM but I am down for more games :hfive:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
COIN games are basically area control so the limitation on march-and-attack is very much intended. You have to force your opponents into a situation where they have to react to you and you can't just build up and then strike out. The cube limitations are, of course, a big part of this, but the game doesn't punish you for going on the offensive. It punishes you for trying to go on the offensive too late or attack a well prepared position. This can lead to some lovely stalemates though, which I guess is what the card deck and player politics are for. Of course, if everyone is near their win condition then a stalemate is almost guaranteed. My first couple games of Cuba Libre went this way because my group was learning the game.

BulletHole
Aug 20, 2003
"I own this fat j-bag, oh yes i do." Sehnsucht
In the last solo Cuba Libre game I played a stalemate situation developed; the board ended up in a three-way split with Government controlling the western half, Castro the eastern half (including the eastern most city),\ and DR in the middle. DR didn't have enough pieces to move against either faction without giving up territory to the other and the government was largely content to sit on what they had and couldn't really afford to be more aggressive anyways. J26 was slowly grinding away at DR, but an early 5th prop ended the game with a tied Government/Syndicate win.

Was I missing something? I couldn't think of a good way for either of the insurgent factions to break out of the stalemate. Government, with enough resources, seems capable of overcoming a stalemate, but in this case the Government had neither the resources not the incentive to try.

A huge caveat, though I have CL P500ed I don't own it yet, so I don't actually have the bot flow charts to work off of. I was attempting to make decisions for each faction according to what I thought that faction should do, so its possibly the answer is just "better diplomacy", which is hard to do well in a solo game, or "bot logic", which come on GMT take my money.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yeah, as the French your decisions are "give the pats money" or "give the pats a cube"... that's it. Until Treaty of the Alliance comes out, that's all you can do. Even once it DOES, you still really can't do much. You can drop some troops, but you only get 12 cubes, and your movement is tied to going / being with colonials, so again... not a lot of decisions here.

I also feel like the game punishes you way too much for being on the offensive. You cant move and attack, so if your opponent has a fort and a nice blob of units, if you march in, you are just giving them a free first strike. In our game, things got stalled out into threatening stare-downs that didn't go anywhere. The pats' Brilliant Stroke lead to one of the few major assaults, but even that blew up in their face so... yeah. Maybe the pats and brits should've been more offensive, but it felt kinda risky. I don't know, I was the French, I literally had no units so...

I feel like this is really reductive. While it's true that your only two commands before Treaty of Alliance are giving the Patriots money or a cube (or two militia), Event play and blocking is still extremely important. After ToA, you have nearly the flexibility of the British in movement, as you can use the sea, and more flexibility than the British in Muster placement. True, you have fewer troops than the British overall, but you can force the Patriot continentals to come with you and fight with you. And yes, you have to move into spaces with a Patriot piece, or with a Patriot piece, or if by sea any Rebellion-controlled city or any space adjacent to one. That's still going to be most of the map, especially as long as you're keeping the sea lanes open.

Speaking of sea lanes, there's FNI to think about as well, which if used correctly can be the most crippling ability in the game. The way the Patriots and French fit together also makes them able to effectively March and Battle on the same turn if they combine forces, which creates an interesting relationship because the Patriots—while they are interested in opening up areas so they can drive Opposition—don't want lots and lots of British deaths, like the French do. But without French regular forces (it's hard to create large regular forces as the Patriots) they're toast. Even more, it's only the French who can warp Patriot troops around the map over the sea, so the Patriots are naturally invested in keeping the French happy. The French are the ones with the money, too, so they can definitely bully the continentals into marching around with them, because the Patriots will be hard-pressed to spend the resources to get them back to where they might like them to be more.

On the comments about battles, Ithle01 is right on the money. Also, what do you mean by "free first strike"? If they attack, they lose the benefit of the fort, and if you didn't want to go up against their force, why would you walk into the space anyway, regardless of whether they're going to attack or defend? Sure, creating a blob is powerful, but the only faction that can possibly blob and not give up most of the board is the British, but an unmoving blob for the British is a blob that isn't threatening spaces and forcing the Patriots to spend their meager money reserves.

Etc.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Well killing cubes is important because it's tied to victory condition. It was all our first play, so I'm sure we hosed it up in terms of execution of strategy. I'd be willing to play it again, but I don't think I would want to be the French again, personally.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
If someone cannot make an ASL AI, I'm sure someone could make a ASL grognard chat bot that could pass the Turing test*.

*the main trick is that the bot is not allowed to know every rule in the game and gets confused.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Falling Sky stealth-delayed to late April. :negative:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FoF2 stealth delayed to the heat death of the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Falling Sky stealth-delayed to late April. :negative:

Oh, well that's not bad. What was the original date, late March?