Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, Googling has failed to give me any kind of real answer, so I am stuck begging y'all T-Mobile Goons for an answer.

Anyways, I'm looking at upgrading my old S20 Ultra to the S24 Ultra, and it looks like T-Mobile only has the 256/512GB versions of the phone, and their trade-in and preorder bonuses are, uh, very bad compared to just buying through Samsung. If I buy the 1TB unlocked version from Samsung, will that still work with T-Mobile, or will I be told to go gently caress myself and buy a 512GB one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

According to this post: https://www.droid-life.com/2023/11/30/samsungs-galaxy-s24-line-stops-through-fcc/ the North American unlocked S24 Ultra (SM-928U) has the radio bands for all carriers in the US. Pop in your SIM and go about your business.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Are the legacy plans going to also get the Hulu subscription, or is this the first of many attempts to get me to change plans to a more current one? I have the magenta plan, and it would cost me ~$10 a month to "upgrade" which is basically what Hulu costs, so it's not a deal for me.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wonderllama posted:

Are the legacy plans going to also get the Hulu subscription, or is this the first of many attempts to get me to change plans to a more current one? I have the magenta plan, and it would cost me ~$10 a month to "upgrade" which is basically what Hulu costs, so it's not a deal for me.

This again feels like a dumb "squeeze you to a more expensive plan" thing.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yet again I read news that decided out of nowhere that yes, T-Mobile wanted to raise the plan costs again.

Is something actually happening this time or did I simply get hit by some SEO? https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-mobile-to-raise-prices-for-postpaid-customers-legacy-plans_id158512 seems like wild speculation

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I don't think anyone outside the company knows yet, but tmo.report is saying something is going to happen today or tomorrow, and he tends to be pretty accurate with T-mo stuff

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Guess it's time to start looking for MVNOs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Maybe this will be the year they finally get rid of us filthy SWAC/SERO ruffians

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

I don't think anyone outside the company knows yet, but tmo.report is saying something is going to happen today or tomorrow, and he tends to be pretty accurate with T-mo stuff

The person who runs/writes tmo.report actually works at the company and gets the upcoming memos posted internally.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

The person who runs/writes tmo.report actually works at the company and gets the upcoming memos posted internally.

It is the problem that all carriers run into at some point. Since they're publicly traded they have to increase profits and it gets really hard when people like me are on rate plans that are "price locked" and are cheaper than I could get anywhere else. I haven't bought a new phone from T-Mobile in years and never contact them for anything so I should be just "profit" at this time but they need the amount I pay to go up to satisfy The Street. It is a load of BS and this could have a huge blowback on them and also be a way for AT&T/Verizon to lure us over. I know they probably won't but it is a possibility. While my rate plan hasn't gone up I also haven't gotten any new features added. Ultimately we'll see what they're going to do and I feel real bad for all of the frontline employees who are in for a bunch of hurt from the customers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Who could have predicted that allowing them to eat a competitor and reduce the competition form 4 to 3 would result in higher prices!

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Who could have predicted that allowing them to eat a competitor and reduce the competition form 4 to 3 would result in higher prices!

Do you still work for Verizon, I'm curious about their current plans.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
"Infinite growth."

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

Maybe this will be the year they finally get rid of us filthy SWAC/SERO ruffians

I tried to stay on SERO as long as I could but they made it painful. It didn't help that Arizona got absolutely hosed on Sprint's Wimax rollout and I ended up having a better experience for the same money (at the time) on Tmo prepaid.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I wonder if it's that same plan they tried to implement back in october. either way it's not looking good for us simple choicers :ohdear:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

That's a weird way of saying MORE JOBS AND LOWER PRICES, which obviously is the most likely outcome of a merger.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

god this blows posted:

Do you still work for Verizon, I'm curious about their current plans.

I do, but not in a customer facing role. If you PM me I can have a co worker give you a call, or just call the sales number at (800) 256-4646

Maneki Neko posted:

That's a weird way of saying MORE JOBS AND LOWER PRICES, which obviously is the most likely outcome of a merger.

lol.

My favorite was the obvious store consolidations, which they were able to close out a whole bunch of stores even before the 3 year terms of the merger were over with.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Yet again I read news that decided out of nowhere that yes, T-Mobile wanted to raise the plan costs again.

Is something actually happening this time or did I simply get hit by some SEO? https://www.phonearena.com/news/t-mobile-to-raise-prices-for-postpaid-customers-legacy-plans_id158512 seems like wild speculation

I wonder if this includes legacy Sprint Kickstarter plans.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
News is out

quote:

There will be no forced plan changes, as feared previously.

T-Mobile is increasing rates on a number of older plans, per The Mobile Report. Simple Choice and ONE plans will see a price increase of $2 to $5 per line a month, meaning if you have five lines, your monthly bill will go up by $25.

https://tmo.report/2024/05/confirmed-t-mobile-is-raising-prices-on-some-legacy-plans/

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

quote:

as well as potentially older/other plans, including possibly Sprint plans.

Nooooooo

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Some people are saying magenta too, but too soon to say for sure. Supposedly you'll get a text today if you're affected

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Doesn't seem TOO bad, since free lines are not impacted. For my 5 line, 2 tablets plan I currently pay all in $120, I think it'll go up $15-20/mo which still dominates all the competition. Sucks, but think T-Mobile is still my BATNA

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Yeah, it’s not awful per se but still not great. It isn’t hitting my lines too badly ($10 total for my two lines on whatever they call the 55+ plan now) but I’ve got a family friend with way more lines than me who is gonna be pissed. I may also have to finally look at splitting my bill into two separate plans as well.

… unfortunately, I also don’t use auto-pay so this is basically a 10 dollar jump per line if I combine that charge and this one…

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I’m on the old SimpleChoice NA and haven’t gotten any text yet. My inclination is they’re raising the rates on the “tax included” plans as those they’re actually losing money on as they can’t adjust them to account for the tax increases.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

god this blows posted:

I’m on the old SimpleChoice NA and haven’t gotten any text yet. My inclination is they’re raising the rates on the “tax included” plans as those they’re actually losing money on as they can’t adjust them to account for the tax increases.

Can you tell me what the tax included plans mean? Meaning that it's a flat rate and no other line items for taxes added to the bill?

I haven't gotten a text yet either so maybe I'm also off the hook. (I'm sure the text will come in after I hit submit). Also on a simple choice NA.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Seiyal posted:

Yeah, it’s not awful per se but still not great. It isn’t hitting my lines too badly ($10 total for my two lines on whatever they call the 55+ plan now) but I’ve got a family friend with way more lines than me who is gonna be pissed. I may also have to finally look at splitting my bill into two separate plans as well.

… unfortunately, I also don’t use auto-pay so this is basically a 10 dollar jump per line if I combine that charge and this one…

You should set up autopay with some random debit card and then continue paying manually with a credit card (ideally with cell phone insurance).

Yes, Verizon people, that still works with T-Mobile, at least for now.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Can you tell me what the tax included plans mean? Meaning that it's a flat rate and no other line items for taxes added to the bill?

I haven't gotten a text yet either so maybe I'm also off the hook. (I'm sure the text will come in after I hit submit). Also on a simple choice NA.
T-Mobile came out with the “One” plans which have their taxes and fees included so they had a single price per line with no additional fees like you said. I was always jealous of those plans as they seemed slightly cheaper. Now it’s looking like we got the better deal going forward.

Edit: I spoke too soon just got the txt that it’s going up $2/line.

god this blows fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 22, 2024

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

astral posted:

You should set up autopay with some random debit card and then continue paying manually with a credit card (ideally with cell phone insurance).

I was able to do this for many months, but last month I lost the autopay discount for doing this. Allowing the autopay to go through this month restored the discount.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got the text. Well this poo poo sucks. On a ONE plan right now. $5 increase on the line and $2 on the Apple Watch line. Going from $66 to $73 and I don’t even get fancy tethering or any real perks. Oh well it was a good run. I think this actually might makes it worth cancelling and just jumping on my fiancé’s family plan which would be a similar cost (now) with more perks. Only reason I hadn’t is because my individual line was still relatively cheap.

Or maybe not I dunno I’ll play with some numbers this week.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 22, 2024

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

astral posted:

I may need to look into that but I have also been 100% leery giving a company that loves to have data breaches access to anything like that that they could leak out somewhere.

If you can explain that in a bit more detail , I will at least see if it’s doable for us though.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Only getting hit for my watch line but ugh

given that iPhone Upgrade Program seems to require a post paid, guess I'll tough it out.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wow, made it through the day with no text. Hope just persists

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

Legacy Sprint Kickstarter and no increase text as of now.

I wonder if they’re trying to avoid issues with their merger agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ugh, looks like my Magenta Max got hit. Haven't checked with my wife to see if she has any texts (hers is the primary number) but looking at last month's bill versus this month's, my base rate is $8 higher for four lines. One of those is a free line so I'll have to see how that actually plays out.

My plan / free line isn't as crazy as a lot of them so I might actually consider bailing; TMo also has a massive deadzone in the center of town here.