Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This pops up in (I think) the first episode of season 9:

Bit harsh to label Paul Raines as a Bauer kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If anyone dies after 24 hours of being in contact with Bauer, it's labeled as a Bauer kill.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Once again Edgar proving how cool he is.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Lucky thing they have specific fields for each of the relations who have happened to appear on the show

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Mebbe he wath jealouth, maybe Kieferth did thomething to him—who knowth?" the actor addth about Printhe Jr.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Now I kinda hope Kiefer shows up at Prinze's house and uppercuts him.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gonz posted:

Now I kinda hope Kiefer shows up at Prinze's house and uppercuts him.

Keifer will appear everywhere Prinze does, but only for a second. He looks across the street and sees Kiefer. A bus passes by and he's gone. This happens everyday for the rest of Prinze's life.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Mister Kingdom posted:

Keifer will appear everywhere Prinze does, but only for a second. He looks across the street and sees Kiefer. A bus passes by and he's gone. This happens everyday for the rest of Prinze's life.

Being trapped in MirrorWorld has it's advantages, I suppose.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Kiefer was definitely wearing lifted boots in The Cowboy Way.

Also....any of you goons old enough to remember the 90's recall Kiefer nearly hitting Charlie Sheen levels of depravity so let's be thankful (he certainly is) he got to kick rear end as Jack Bauer for nearly 10 years.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Lucky thing they have specific fields for each of the relations who have happened to appear on the show

Except his granddaughters last name, because that was never revealed in the show.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Keyser S0ze posted:

Kiefer was definitely wearing lifted boots in The Cowboy Way.

Also....any of you goons old enough to remember the 90's recall Kiefer nearly hitting Charlie Sheen levels of depravity so let's be thankful (he certainly is) he got to kick rear end as Jack Bauer for nearly 10 years.

Wasn't that basically how he ended up on TV? Back then it wasn't as cool to be on TV as it is today, but his movie career had kind of died out.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Except his granddaughters last name, because that was never revealed in the show.
And there's a field for Jack's sister-in-law, but not his mother.

Wait, just above Paul Raines, is that somebody named Palpatine? :psyduck: Did Jack kill the Emperor?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Wasn't that basically how he ended up on TV? Back then it wasn't as cool to be on TV as it is today, but his movie career had kind of died out.

He got tired of movies and went on the rodeo circuit for a while. He took the 24 job to pay the bills and figured it would never get past the front thirteen.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Do they expect me to believe the first person Jack is shown killing in the series is the first person he ever killed? He was a freaking psycho black ops guy for years, plus he at least killed Victor Drazen's doppelganger and family prior to the start of the series. Steaming mad about that inaccurate kill list that was on-screen for a split second.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

2house2fly posted:

Do they expect me to believe the first person Jack is shown killing in the series is the first person he ever killed? He was a freaking psycho black ops guy for years, plus he at least killed Victor Drazen's doppelganger and family prior to the start of the series. Steaming mad about that inaccurate kill list that was on-screen for a split second.

And the best picture they have is from a surveillance camera?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
I especially love allllll of the Bauer kills that have no last name, because gently caress 'em

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
It includes Ryan Chappelle, too, which makes me sad. :(

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Season 6 was so bad. I loved 1-5, should I even bother with 7 or 8?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

a cop posted:

Yes and double yes.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

a cop posted:

The first four episodes of any 24 season are worth watch irrespective of the quality of the season as a whole.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
7 and 8 are both huge steps up from season 6. They're a long way from perfect (season 7 ups the stakes way too frequently and season 8 has too much filler in the middle of the season) but they're worth sticking with for the big climaxes which I think are some of the best the show ever did.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Season 7 has by far the best silent clock in the entire series so you should watch it for that.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Good to hear. 6 just felt off in every way. I was ready to bow out around ~episode 18 when the original crisis ended, unlike every other season. All the stuff with Jack's family was so lackluster.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

a cop posted:

Good to hear. 6 just felt off in every way. I was ready to bow out around ~episode 18 when the original crisis ended, unlike every other season. All the stuff with Jack's family was so lackluster.

It's one of the few times where the creators/Kiefer apologized for such a lackluster season and promised hey would improve it for season 7.

They did. If you're on the fence I would definitely give the first episode a shot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Season 7 has by far the best silent clock in the entire series so you should watch it for that.

I can't decide which is more intense - a silent clock or a regular clock right after a big action sequence.

Basically, gently caress that clock.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What's this? My brain pretty much switched off after Curtis died until Live Another Day, I remember the odd thing about 24 (Starbuck sucking, the cute girl from Jericho getting the West Wing hijacked in a brief moment of "Oh this is good") but I can't remember which season is which, one was in New York, and I think maybe Washington DC was a setting? And as for important deaths that late in the show's run, I got nothing.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
There were two silent clocks: one when Jack shot Renee and you just hear her breathing, similar to the season two final silent clock. The other was for Bill. Both those clocks were pretty boring really, the best one was Teri because it was new.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Jack shot Renee!? Wasn't Renee the hot, eventual Female Jack that he slept with and got shot by a sniper post-sex? Did I imagine that?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Regarding the earlier talk about Jack being no better than Tony due to the things he's done: That's something that doesn't get touched on enough by the show or fans of the show.

If Jack felt justified in his flat-out execution of Nina, and his rage induced assault on the Drazens because he thought they'd killed Kim, how does Jack justify stopping Tony from taking his own revenge on Wilson? He can't, he's being utterly hypocritical, and you can tell that on some level Jack knows this when Tony flipped out on him at the end of season 7.

Jack is not only a hypocrite, he's a walking storm of death and destruction -- not just to his enemies, but to his colleagues and loved ones, too. How many people does Jack come into contact with whose lives are destroyed and/or end up dead?

Live Another Day is blatant, in-your-face proof of this. Jack admits that he's in London to stop the terrorist attack because of Audrey. Jack is selfish, but hides under a veneer of "doing things for the greater good", which he uses to justify all of the terrible things that happen to the people around him. And in the end, he can do nothing to save Audrey. Would she have died if Jack had never shown his face that day? Who knows. But Jack did appear, and Audrey did pay the ultimate price, just as Heller predicted in season 6.

The truth is, Jack isn't a hero. He's a selfish, unstable and emotionally broken shell of his former self. He irrevocably changed after his wife was murdered, and now uses his imagined role as a superhuman agent of justice willing to sacrifice everything for the greater good as some kind of coping mechanism to deal with the fact that he couldn't save his wife.

incredible bear posted:

Jack shot Renee!? Wasn't Renee the hot, eventual Female Jack that he slept with and got shot by a sniper post-sex? Did I imagine that?

Jack shoots and "kills" Renee when he, Tony and Emerson catch her, and Emerson wants Jack to prove he's trustworthy. Jack purposely just grazes her neck, and she survives.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jack has stopped a dozen nukes, wars, and the lives of several presidents. Overall he's a goddamn American hero. It's like yeah, Jefferson owned slaves, but we can ignore that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

incredible bear posted:

You act surprised even though Jack has shot, tortured or choked out every single one of his "friends."

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Good point, even Kate got headbutted during her first encounter with Jack this season. So glad they didn't end up together in a dumb 24 move, apart from faking out on Heller, the writers really did restrain themselves from doing dumb poo poo that dragged down the series.

The neck graze rings a bell now. As for Jack being a hypocrite, sure, but the last thing I'd want 24 to attempt is some Jack self-reflecting arc wherein he tries to actually right his wrongs. I can't see a way that'd work out well for the viewer.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

That also happened in season 7.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

hypersleep posted:

Jack shoots and "kills" Renee when he, Tony and Emerson catch her, and Emerson wants Jack to prove he's trustworthy. Jack purposely just grazes her neck, and she survives.

He then has to bury her and the silent clock is as she disappears under the dirt. It was a good use of the clock as 'tension builder' rather then 'emphasizing sorrow'.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Spalec posted:

He then has to bury her and the silent clock is as she disappears under the dirt. It was a good use of the clock as 'tension builder' rather then 'emphasizing sorrow'.

They did this when Mandy poisoned Palmer as well, except instead of breathing it's Palmer's heartbeat.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

incredible bear posted:

Good point, even Kate got headbutted during her first encounter with Jack this season.

He also knocked her out and gave her up to an arms dealer, who immediately woke her up and started torturing her. That was a pretty good plan, Jack.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pyromance posted:

He also knocked her out and gave her up to an arms dealer, who immediately woke her up and started torturing her. That was a pretty good plan, Jack.

That was great because Kate being tortured was actually the best case scenario. Jack was betting that they wouldn't just execute her immediately.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

That was great because Kate being tortured was actually the best case scenario. Jack was betting that they wouldn't just execute her immediately.

Actually the best case scenario was them not having a drug to reverse the effects of the propofol like they did. You can see Jack's oh-crap face when they say they can wake her up.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I thought Live Another Day handled Jack's "moral system" pretty much perfectly. We're allowed to cheer for Jack when he throws Margot out the window, but I don't necessarily think the show CONDONES Jack's tactics.

At the very least, these past few seasons have done a good job of showing the costs of Jack Bauer's choices - on Jack Bauer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I thought Live Another Day handled Jack's "moral system" pretty much perfectly. We're allowed to cheer for Jack when he throws Margot out the window, but I don't necessarily think the show CONDONES Jack's tactics.

At the very least, these past few seasons have done a good job of showing the costs of Jack Bauer's choices - on Jack Bauer.
I was surprised at the restraint they showed as far as the torture this season. I mean really he only does it to Navarro and Simone (although in her case he actually shows remorse for having to do it, but at least in that case there was really no other lead).

Meanwhile in the other seasons someone was tortured every 4 episodes.

Although I got tired of the sermons they kept doing every time Adrian Cross was on screen about how much they clearly couldn't stand Julian Assange.

• Locked thread