Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Teenage Fansub posted:

The first five trades are the equivalent of the omnibus. If they're cheaper and you don't mind digital, I dunno why you wouldn't.
Just start reading the omnis at Vol.2

edit: There were a few crossover miniseries the comic acted as tie-ins for from time to time. You may feel like you're missing out on the main comics for Legends, Millennium, Invasion! etc.

Are you suggesting that people start collecting omnis starting with a second volume? How would that look on the shelf?

NO.

Edit: BAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Zachack posted:

Are you suggesting that people start collecting omnis starting with a second volume? How would that look on the shelf?

NO.

Edit: BAD

If they actually get to a second omni, I will buy it to match my four HCs and two TPBs (because they didn't print volumes 5 & 6 in hardcover)! I have little faith they will get beyond that, so I may have a collection of loose floppies to round out the series.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SMP posted:

Isn't the reading order in singles insane? Like it's across a bunch of titles and stuff.

The initial run's main series has two retitles while Giffen and DeMatteis are on it. Thankfully, Comixology keeps it ordered under one title.

Here's the whole breakdown (I think?):

-It turns from Justice League into JLI at #6.
-Becomes JLA at #26 and introduces parallel Justice League Europe comic. They cross over with JLE#7-11 and JLE#29-35 (in case you don't need to follow JLE entirely.)
-Justice League Quarterly is an anthology series launched in 1990 (coming out every three or so months as per title.)
-The original writers leave after that last JLE crossover (JLI/A #60, JLE #35) and JLQ at #4. The series continue without them till about 1996.
-They revive the team for two miniseries "Formerly Known as the Justice League" and " I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League"
-Giffen does 'Justice League: Generation Lost' with Judd Winick for 24 issues.
-Unrelated N52 JLI without either original writers.
-They both come back for Justice League 3000 and 3001 which carry on the tone of JLI with future clones of the JL and eventually bring in actual JLI plots and characters. The comic disregards continuity from "I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League" on, so you can skip Gen Lost and the N52 JLI, if all you care about is Giffen and DeMatteis.

Plenty of jumping off points after the early 90's. Don't be intimidated out of giving it a shot.

edit: If you're not one to separate the art from artist, this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Jones#Personal_life might make you want to avoid most of JLE.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Nov 14, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Generation Lost was good, so dont skip it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Punisher Collections sale

Anything worth getting? I have Vol 1 of Rucka's run (it's okay), I've been hearing good things about Cloonan's run, and there's old-school Punisher too. Is the Strange/Punisher good, too?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

Anything worth getting? I have Vol 1 of Rucka's run (it's okay), I've been hearing good things about Cloonan's run, and there's old-school Punisher too. Is the Strange/Punisher good, too?

Punisher: War Journel and Frankencastle are hoth enjoyable.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Mr Hootington posted:

Punisher: War Journel and Frankencastle are hoth enjoyable.

Which War Journal: Fraction's or the classic one?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

Fraction

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

Marvel universe vs the punisher is also a dumb but fun story.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Mr Hootington posted:

Marvel universe vs the punisher is also a dumb but fun story.

Might be worth pointing out that Marvel Universe vs. the Punisher is different from Punisher vs. The Marvel Universe

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've got a Lenovo Windows tablet, anyone have any recommendations for a good comic reader? I like ComicRack and it does everything I want, tracking my library, read and unread, etc. It's CLOSE to perfect, but it really isn't tablet friendly. The menus don't scale well and swipe to change pages isn't that reliable.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Medullah posted:

I've got a Lenovo Windows tablet, anyone have any recommendations for a good comic reader? I like ComicRack and it does everything I want, tracking my library, read and unread, etc. It's CLOSE to perfect, but it really isn't tablet friendly. The menus don't scale well and swipe to change pages isn't that reliable.

Cover in the windows store works well as a reader it tracks read and unread. It doesn't support metadata like ComicRack through and no reading lists, but it's still better than 90% of other readers out there.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Moon Knight sale
She-Hulk sale

Up until end of Monday... How is Huston's Moon Knight run? And I have heard some good things about Byrne's She-Hulk run, is it any good?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Schneider Heim posted:

Moon Knight sale
She-Hulk sale

Up until end of Monday... How is Huston's Moon Knight run? And I have heard some good things about Byrne's She-Hulk run, is it any good?

Huston's run isn't very great. It's not terrible but I didn't love it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Moon Knight sale
She-Hulk sale

I love the first two volumes of Huston's run, when Mike Benson takes over as scripter it gets much worse.

Schneider Heim posted:

The Punisher: River of Blood is great, one of the classic Punisher stories.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I love the first two volumes of Huston's run, when Mike Benson takes over as scripter it gets much worse.

The Punisher: River of Blood is great, one of the classic Punisher stories.

Do you mean Circle of Blood? I don't see a River on that page.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah, I've been interested in Moon Knight after reading Ellis's short run, but I'm still looking for nice runs. I've heard that Bendis's run is quite bad and I'm not a fan of the guy so I'm skipping that. The sale is probably done by now (I'm at work) but I'll look to buying some more trades once they go on sale again.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

DC "everything is $5" sale

Some really ridiculous prices, particularly for some of the larger pagecount collections like the Tales of the Batman by various artists. Other larger books like Waid or Johns Flash and Morrison/Waid/Moench/etc JLA seem to have had a price reduction... and then reduced to $5.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Zachack posted:

Some really ridiculous prices, particularly for some of the larger pagecount collections like the Tales of the Batman by various artists. Other larger books like Waid or Johns Flash and Morrison/Waid/Moench/etc JLA seem to have had a price reduction... and then reduced to $5.

Holy poo poo my wallet

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Nice, I've been looking for a sale to grab Doom that came to Gotham

e: Jesus there's some great stuff there. $25 for all of Planetary, entire runs on all the big titles, bunch of vertigo, so much Morrison! I'm just making Homer drooling noises at my desk here

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 21, 2017

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

When I saw Multiversity was on sale for £3 I literally gasped out loud.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is Dark Knight III worth the read? I haven't heard any opinions on it. Note, I think DKSA is absolutely worth the read. Basically, is it amazing, ambitious, or interesting. If it's mediocre, I'm not interested.

Probably gonna get it either way cause it's five bux.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Get the two Seven Soldiers of Victory collections, y'all. Absolute best Morry.

edit: Is Byrne Superman worth getting right up to vol. 9? https://www.comixology.com/Superman-The-Man-of-Steel-Vol-9/digital-comic/439274

Uthor posted:

Is Dark Knight III worth the read? I haven't heard any opinions on it. Note, I think DKSA is absolutely worth the read. Basically, is it amazing, ambitious, or interesting. If it's mediocre, I'm not interested.

Nah. They didn't let him go DK2 nuts except on the backups. The main story is just dull.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 21, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DKIII definitely falls in mediocre.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

How much of the JLA series that starts with Morrison is worth buying? I think I've heard in the past to stop with the Claremont stuff, but not 100% sure.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dunbar posted:

How much of the JLA series that starts with Morrison is worth buying? I think I've heard in the past to stop with the Claremont stuff, but not 100% sure.

Yes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dunbar posted:

Just looking at the listing, #1-90 gets you Morrison, Waid, and Kelly, which are all worth reading. #91-93 are Denny O'Neill which I've never read (or don't remember, at least), but are probably worth checking out. #94-99 are written by Claremont and Byrne, and definitely a skip. #100 is Kelly again and spins off Justice League Elite, so read those. #101-106 are Chuck Austen which is a big ol' nope. #107-114 is Kurt Busiek, which is probably worth a look. #115-119 are Identity Crisis tie-ins by Geoff Johns and Allen Heinberg, so those are probably a skip. #120-125 are Bob Harras which is a no.

So in summary:

1-90 Yes!
91-93 Maybe?
94-99 Nope!
100 Yeah and also JL Elite #1-12
101-106 Nope!
107-114 Sure!
115-125 Nope!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zachack posted:

Welp, finally time to get the Waid Flash and maybe his run on Legion. Probably get the Stephanie Batgirl trade. Might even nab the John Byrne Wonder Woman and Balent Catwoman out of morbid curiosity.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Zachack posted:

Do you mean Circle of Blood? I don't see a River on that page.

Yeah whoops. The Grant/Zeck one.

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah, I've been interested in Moon Knight after reading Ellis's short run, but I'm still looking for nice runs. I've heard that Bendis's run is quite bad and I'm not a fan of the guy so I'm skipping that. The sale is probably done by now (I'm at work) but I'll look to buying some more trades once they go on sale again.

The original Moench/Sienkiewicz run is one of my favorite comics ever.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What is some can’t miss Rebirth stuff?

Gaz-L posted:

Welp, finally time to get the Waid Flash and maybe his run on Legion. Probably get the Stephanie Batgirl trade. Might even nab the John Byrne Wonder Woman and Balent Catwoman out of morbid curiosity.

How much of Waid’s Legion is with getting? I enjoyed the first two volumes? (I also picked up the first two Levitz ones.)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I need the best of gorilla grodd

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I prioritized the really good deals and rare stuff that hardly goes on sale for the DC one, because I bought some stuff from Marvel's sale (mostly recent runs that I've been following like Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Mockingbird, The Vision, and Patsy Walker) too.

I got:
Batman: Odyssey
Superman: American Alien
Midnighter: The Complete Wildstorm Series
Midnighter and Apollo
Prez (2015)
Green Lantern: Kyle Rayner vol 1
Shazam!: Monster Society of Evil (From the guy who made Bone. I've never read it. Maybe I will remedy that in the future)
The Demon by Jack Kirby
Multiversity
Zatanna by Paul Dini

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

RIP. :argh:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dsmif posted:

Cover in the windows store works well as a reader it tracks read and unread. It doesn't support metadata like ComicRack through and no reading lists, but it's still better than 90% of other readers out there.

Thanks, it's interface is pretty much exactly what I wanted. Sadly the metadata in ComicRack is really nice. Decisions, decisions

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hadji murad posted:

What is some can’t miss Rebirth stuff?
"DC Universe: Rebirth" (the one shot,) Superman, Green Arrow, Batman, Detective Comics, All-Star Batman, Wonder Woman, Super Sons, Deathstroke, Batman/Flash: The Button (if you care about The Watchmen aspect after the one-shot,) JLA over JL (Can't stress that enough. JL is total trash.)

Doom Patrol, Shade: The Changing Girl, Future Quest, The Flintstones, Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Wild Storm for Rebirth era side stuff.

Schneider Heim posted:

Midnighter: The Complete Wildstorm Series
Midnighter and Apollo

Have you read this series already? https://www.comixology.com/Midnighter-2015-2016/comics-series/44163
Midnighter and Apollo is the follow-up to it.

--------------------
Stuff I got this time:
Gil Kane and Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez Superman collections
The three Mark Waid Flash books
The three Morrison/Millar Swamp Thing books
Jack Kirby Demon
DC Universe by Alan Moore collection
Top 10
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol 1&2

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 22, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dunbar posted:

It's all good, pretty much. Also make sure you get the DC 1,000,000 stuff because that's a really cool crossover, and JLA: Earth 2 I think is always sold separately and that's one of my favourite stories

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Is the DC One Million stuff in a convenient format in this sale? I had a quick look but didn't find stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is the DC One Million stuff in a convenient format in this sale? I had a quick look but didn't find stuff.

Nah. There's a jumbo omnibus, but it's print only.
They don't seem to put up stuff approaching and over 1k pages.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you read this series already? https://www.comixology.com/Midnighter-2015-2016/comics-series/44163
Midnighter and Apollo is the follow-up to it.

Yes, I have picked them up in a prior sale.

Top Ten is in the sale? I gotta go back and grab that one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Same, I didn't even notice it.

Also, I think Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is being sold standalone, but it appears in the Alan Moore collection for the same price.

E: everything that's in the Man of Tomorrow collection is in the DC Works of Alan Moore. Make sure you get that one instead.