Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Magneto.

Edit: So issue 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No that one is some technobabble about human electromagnetic fields. They tried to explain it biologically, even if it doesn't make sense.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can technobabble night crawler if you really want to as well.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

So I'm curious, when did the X-Men comics abandon the idea of trying to make mutant powers conceivably (even at a stretch) biological? Like they went from wings, mind powers and big feet to technopathy... And Maggott. Who broke the dam?

Cyclops was already pushing it, but they did try to explain it with sunlight and energy metabolization etc. etc.

I'd say it has to be Nightcrawler at the latest, but was there someone earlier?
In issue 2 of Uncanny X-Men they fight The Vanisher, who basically has all of Nightcrawlers powers, except he's not blue and doesn't produce the smell of sulfur when he teleports. He's also so completely overpowered compared to the original X-Men that the only way they beat him his Professor X brainwashes him into forgetting he can teleport. Asking for biological explanations for mutants is like asking for mechanical explanations for whatever the gently caress Reed Richards invents.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Maggot makes way more sense than, say, Armor.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
explain how your mutant genetic power being the inheritor of a mystical dimension makes sense

(this actually describes more than one mutant!)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
At some point when I was a kid I picked an older Marvel Handbook out of the back issues and spent a lot of time trying to wrap my head around Cyclop's power explanation. This is how I understand

• The energy come from dimensional portals in front of his eyes
  • This portal is kept open via energy Cyclops absorbs from the sun.
  • Every surface of his body is covered in an energy field that dissipates the energy from this dimension
  • This energy field is why he's immune to Havoc's powers (at least on 616. In certain other realities they seem to be able to kill each other with their powers).
  • If he "runs out of sun" the dimension may shut, depending on the writer.
  • If his power is turned off via inhibitor collar or some other method, this means the dimension closes, it seems. I swore I read a book where it was suggested if his power was turned off, he the "suppression" field would go, but then he would've blown his eyelids off when he blinked.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rick posted:

At some point when I was a kid I picked an older Marvel Handbook out of the back issues and spent a lot of time trying to wrap my head around Cyclop's power explanation. This is how I understand

• The energy come from dimensional portals in front of his eyes
  • This portal is kept open via energy Cyclops absorbs from the sun.
  • Every surface of his body is covered in an energy field that dissipates the energy from this dimension
  • This energy field is why he's immune to Havoc's powers (at least on 616. In certain other realities they seem to be able to kill each other with their powers).
  • If he "runs out of sun" the dimension may shut, depending on the writer.
  • If his power is turned off via inhibitor collar or some other method, this means the dimension closes, it seems. I swore I read a book where it was suggested if his power was turned off, he the "suppression" field would go, but then he would've blown his eyelids off when he blinked.

And none of it is true at all!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Doug Ramsay's powers are pretty nonsensical. There really should be no difference between him and someone who's just SUPER smart.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hope and vaseline posted:

Relevant panel

I always took it to mean that No-Girl was Martha's superhero alias and was a distinct personality that she would use to communicate with people, but Ernst and Martha also used her as an in-joke to prank the students.

^a quote I had saved as a draft to reply to for god knows how long

I read that as No-Girl being Martha's imaginary friend/original character, do not steal. Magneto is just so far up his rear end that he believes a traumatized child's four-color coping mechanism is a powerful mutant presence, because that's how his idiot old man mind works.

Anyway, Handbook chat: The reference matter isn't itself canonical in the nerd sense. It's summary and interpretation of the canon matter, but lacks definitive precedential value. It's Talmudic comment, like God's dayplanner or the ram that started walking toward sacrifice on the first day of creation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Asking for biological explanations for mutants is like asking for mechanical explanations for whatever the gently caress Reed Richards invents.

That's not what I'm saying.

They used to try to do that, and at some point abandoned it for whatever the hell they wanted to do. I want to know who the first "you know what, gently caress it" mutant was.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Aphrodite posted:

So I'm curious, when did the X-Men comics abandon the idea of trying to make mutant powers conceivably (even at a stretch) biological? Like they went from wings, mind powers and big feet to technopathy... And Maggott. Who broke the dam?

X-men powers never made any drat sense and I always find myself annoyed when some writer decides to apply scientific rigor to their powers to make them do even more ridiculous things. Oh, you say the way Iceman uses his powers is limited compared to what someone who can generate cold and ice out of thin air could actually achieve? Well, here's the thing, nobody can actually do that and none of it makes sense to begin with.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

PaybackJack posted:

Doug Ramsay's powers are pretty nonsensical. There really should be no difference between him and someone who's just SUPER smart.

The old Handbooks of the Marvel Universe and a couple of letter columns talked about that.

The idea was that Doug's subconscious takes on a lot of the grunt work of linguistics in a way that modern talented linguists aren't able to do. As far as he's concerned, he opens his mouth and a language comes out; he rarely has to think about it, and the only time we see him having to actually work at it is when he's decoding a completely alien script.

Forge used to work the same way. He's basically running a sort of inventor subroutine in his brain at all times, so all the math and design work that goes into a given creation pops up in his brain, fully formed, whenever he wants or needs it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Wanderer posted:

The old Handbooks of the Marvel Universe and a couple of letter columns talked about that.

The idea was that Doug's subconscious takes on a lot of the grunt work of linguistics in a way that modern talented linguists aren't able to do. As far as he's concerned, he opens his mouth and a language comes out; he rarely has to think about it, and the only time we see him having to actually work at it is when he's decoding a completely alien script.

Forge used to work the same way. He's basically running a sort of inventor subroutine in his brain at all times, so all the math and design work that goes into a given creation pops up in his brain, fully formed, whenever he wants or needs it.

It's not as wacky as portal to the eye beam dimension but it's cool that someone sometime decided to write pseudo-science explanations for this stuff.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

PaybackJack posted:

It's not as wacky as portal to the eye beam dimension but it's cool that someone sometime decided to write pseudo-science explanations for this stuff.

Pseudo-science bullshit trying to explain superpowers, especially mutants, was one of my favorite things back when I was a kid getting into comics. I keep hoping it comes back in a big way.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a terrible book out there that tries to explain all the X-Men's powers in lovely pseudo science ways. I checked it out of the library like 15 years ago because I figured why not. It was really bad.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh my god, All-New Wolverine is the best. :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Seriously, it is the best! Squirrel Girl and Wolverine are the best together. I hope we get to see them again, and Doreen can introduce Laura to Galactus and he won't step on their sandwiches.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

Seriously, it is the best! Squirrel Girl and Wolverine are the best together. I hope we get to see them again, and Doreen can introduce Laura to Galactus and he won't step on their sandwiches.

I just hope they keep the pet wolverine

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

bobkatt013 posted:

I just hope they keep the pet wolverine

We know they do, they even take it on walks!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yvonmukluk posted:

The panel where Doreen showed up had me laughing for about a minute straight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ANW just proves that Squirrel Girl works just fine in the greater MU.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah the issue was great and proved you can write SQ were she isn't insufferable.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I think I'm officially to the point where I wish they'd permanently junk the mask. It looks weird on Laura, and she doesn't have a secret identity to protect anyway.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Wolverine was just so goddamn GOOD. Start the countdown, though, til they get rid of Gabby.

Or reveal she has a younger clone. It's younger girl Wolverines all the way down!

e: Just started this week's OML: is there part of Alaska called the Northwest Territory, or did one of our own make a big-rear end Canadian geography fuckup? Ha, whatever. Marvel Canada's already totally loving insane, let's just say the Yukon Territory isn't a thing there.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 28, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I haven't read OML yet, but I think this week's All-New Wolverine has solidified ANW as my top X-Men book, and top 'book that isn't Vision'.

Wanderer posted:

I think I'm officially to the point where I wish they'd permanently junk the mask. It looks weird on Laura, and she doesn't have a secret identity to protect anyway.

My only major complaint. The shots of her wearing the costume without the mask actually all looked fine, both with and without the coat over it. It's only the cowl/mask thing that really makes it look goofy.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'd read Jessica Drew, Director of Shield.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Rhyno posted:

ANW just proves that Squirrel Girl works just fine in the greater MU.

I agree with the first quote and disagree with the second. Jay and Miles touched on this in their latest Youtube video, and I really like the way they framed it. Basically, the tone of each issue of ANW changes based on who the guest star is. So, when you have SG in the book, the whole tone of the book is happy and light and basically an issue of USG starring Wolverine. I'm not entirely sure that works with every book. It works with ANW because Laura is still figuring out who she is, so she adapts based on who's around her.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So can someone give me the rundown of what happened with Magik post Inferno. Jay and Miles talked about how she was basically reborn as her innocent self post Inferno, but then basically ceased being a character until the legacy virus killed her, then she was back. What?

Honestly, my love of the character is pretty much purely from early New Mutants and then the stories just before and since AvsX.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In short, she ends Inferno by sealing off Limbo using her Soulsword and is 7 years old again for no reason. Then she gets the Legacy Virus because that was a thing and she dies.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There is a reason, it's actually very important to her whole arc.

Also he was talking about after that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
She had her innocence robbed from her, she got it back through a selfless act, and ultimately died innocent. It was a rare closed loop in comics (I guess it's still arguably closed since the current Magik has maintained she's not really Illyana).

I do think it's a valid criticism, that she was more a prop to justify Colossus's heel turn at the end, though.

E: I guess in further details, she was basically sent back to Russia to live with her parents and mostly left alone. Then her & Colossus's parents are killed, so she's brought back to the mansion and gets the legacy virus shortly after. Then she dies, Magneto crashes the funeral. Colossus decides he's right and goes with him (they tried to leave an out with a "oh he was hosed up due to getting stuck in his metal form due to an rear end kicking from by D-List Villain X-Cutioner" [or something like that] thankfully writers mostly ignored this cop out attempt).

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 3, 2016

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rick posted:

She had her innocence robbed from her, she got it back through a selfless act, and ultimately died innocent. It was a rare closed loop in comics (I guess it's still arguably closed since the current Magik has maintained she's not really Illyana).

I do think it's a valid criticism, that she was more a prop to justify Colossus's heel turn at the end, though.

It was also done to make the legacy virus seem serious as it was a well liked character that died.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

It was also done to make the legacy virus seem serious as it was a well liked character that died.

Yeah, you are right. I hate comics sometimes.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Rick posted:

Not to be dense, but could someone elaborate further on this, or is that literally all there is to this? I've only ever read this version of Magik, so I've either missed something or was just not aware of further Limbo shenanigans involving Darkchylde or whatever (if that's who this Magik is?).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She doesn't have her soul.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
What that poster is asking is, how did that come about.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Basically Illyana as a kid was abducted into Limbo where she aged into teenage status until she was rescued by the X-Men. Inferno happened and she sacrificed herself and created a younger version of herself so she could grow up normally. That child version was later killed by the legacy virus. Post House of M, another version showed up that was created by the demon that originally abducted her which was her without a soul. Several stories later she still had no soul but was back on the X-Men.

So the version of Illyana running around now is basically a copy of the original from her post limbo teenage years with no soul.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Quick question: when exactly in the timeline did that All-New X-Men jump forward in time?

Because I'm kind of wondering just what effect that would actually have on the timeline. There's got to be a story there. Bendis produced this to analyse the fallout of Hank's death in AoU, somebody's got to have a similar chart someplace.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Presumably they're from a different timeline, since them being pulled forward didn't erase the intervening history of their adult versions.

• Locked thread