Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

No, he only wrote episode 13.

Whoops. I don't know how I screwed that up.

Anyone remember when Veemon was in love with Gatomon for one episode? That sure was pointless wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Whoops. I don't know how I screwed that up.

Anyone remember when Veemon was in love with Gatomon for one episode? That sure was pointless wasn't it?

It was more than one episode

Not MUCH more than one but it was.

Mostly it just served for some cute Gatomon and Patamon moments. The fact that they didn't dance again in Tri is a tragedy

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i did not remember that, that's hosed up japan gatomon is an adult and v-mon is only a child!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don’t remember this at all but it seems pretty obvious it’s a proxy for Daisuke’s crush on Hikari.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Tri dropped the ball for the most part (Agumon especially) but I can understand why. The films, for better or worse, were about the kids themselves first and foremost. The battles and Digimon themselves weren’t necessarily an afterthought but were just an extension of that, moreso than in Adventure itself. The reset definitely should have changed their dynamic (and did in the case of Piyomon) but that also would have gotten in the way of the plot and made it harder to get them to evolve to Mega level. I think it also would have bothered a large part of the fan base.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elfgames posted:

i did not remember that, that's hosed up japan gatomon is an adult and v-mon is only a child!

Actually, in 02, Tailmon is technically a Child too, so it's fine.

Her level is completely based on one single ring on her body after all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That’s just in terms of virtual pet toys and stuff. She still evolves up through Plotmon in the actual show.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

That’s just in terms of virtual pet toys and stuff. She still evolves up through Plotmon in the actual show.

He's making a joke about how stupid that whole plot element in 02 is.

Because it is, nerfing Gatomon like that is utterly moronic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The whole point of armor evolution is that the Adult-level of strength is cut off to the protagonists so they have to find a way around it. Kind of hard to include Tailmon in that when she’s running around strong as she’s ever been due to having reached that level naturally.

That being said “Tailmon lose their power without the Holy Ring” has been a thing ever since the creature’s inception and was in their original profile, so it’s not like they can’t up with it all on their own.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The thing is, they didn't have to actually nerf her

Gatomon is strong sure, but Nerftimon has a lot of powers she doesn't. Gatomon is a very limited Champion level as it is. Ideally they should have just treated it as a sideways evolution- trade raw power for versatility.

It'd certainly give her more to do in general, and it's not like having one more Champion level Digimon hanging around would be that bad. It might have even removed some of the focus from Davis early on.

Hell, the 02 kids all got two Armor digivolutions, this basically would have functionally been the same.

It's a lovely thing to depower one of the only notably powerful female characters, but I guess it's par the course for how Kairi and Gatomon were treated throughout 02.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Man I've been trying really hard to ignore this but I can't deal with it anymore.

Kari. Kairi is a Kingdom Hearts character. Both may have light powers but they come from different franchises.

That said I don't think the sidelines evo thing would work in 02 since the writing wasn't nearly that clever. In a series that actually took advantage of the protagonists having two, later three, fighting forms on roughly the same level with different abilities, that'd be neat, but 02 was a profoundly dumb show where Armors existed until they had another gimmick to sell and that was roughly it.

Contrast with V-Tamer, where Daisuke gets to use Fladramon in a clever and interesting way because of what Fladramon can do that XV-mon could not.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, not going to lie, that's a mistake I am absolutely going to make.

Mostly because, first I watched Digimon, so I got real used to Kari. Then Kingdom Hearts 1 came out a few years later, and I convinced myself that her name was also Kari. Never crossed my mind that it was written any other way.

Then KH2 came out and I read in the subtitles Kairi and that threw me for a complete loop. I was convinced they had changed it for KH2 until I went back and looked at KH1 again.

With KH3 supposedly on the horizon, I've been in the mindset of "It's Kairi, moron" super hard and now that's bled over here.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
You could call her Hikari

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You could call her Hikari

Could!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I haven't seen Adventure in a while but didn't Gatomon also lost her edge once she joined the CC? Like I don't remember her pulling any feat similar to the way she beat the other seven champions at once.

That said, Armors evolutions are all over the place in terms of raw power with some being barely better than a champion to others being at Ultimate level or total hax like Magnamon that are Mega tier.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I haven't seen Adventure in a while but didn't Gatomon also lost her edge once she joined the CC? Like I don't remember her pulling any feat similar to the way she beat the other seven champions at once.

That's mostly just a case of poor timing. After she joins the party, she doesn't so much lose her edge as the difficulty spike is WAY higher.

Also she never beat the other Seven- Gatomon was strong but not that strong. From what I remember she beat up Greymon, Garurumon, Togemon and I think maybe Kabuterimon, but she was nowhere near Angemon's power.

After she joined the only Champion worth a drat was Angemon, just due to how powerful he was, and even he got the poo poo kicked out of him considering they kept going up against Mega levels. As Angewomon, she was the second most powerful Ultimate, behind only Magna Angemon.

quote:

That said, Armors evolutions are all over the place in terms of raw power with some being barely better than a champion to others being at Ultimate level or total hax like Magnamon that are Mega tier.

See, I never saw Adventure Magnamon as being that strong. He's barely as strong as an Ultimate, considering Kimeramon kicked the poo poo out of him and he required a last minute boost from Wormmon ontop of a suicide attack to beat him.

With Adventure, I think the way they're meant to be shown is that they're only barely as strong as the equivalent level. So normal Armor Digimon are just below Champion level, Magnamon was just below Ultimate.

I say this actually really liking Magnamon, for the record. I know Royal Knights Magnamon is way stronger though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Heck I'm fairly sure I've read that the regular Armor Evolutions(and not the Gold ones) in 02 are supposed to be noticeably weaker than most proper Adult stage Digimon, which is why they become mostly useless once we get past the Digimon Kaiser arc outside of the fact that Patamon and Gatomon can more readily use their Armor Evolutions, and that occasionally RaiDramon and Submarimon are useful for transportation reasons

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Adventure in general really struggles with using evolutions creatively in general, so it’s not something I don’t hold 02 especially accountable for. Of all the series they rely the most on “character launches stock attack” repeatedly the most. At the very least you got characters using more than one or two attacks in 02. In general though fight scenes don’t tend to be Kakudou’s strong suit.

On a semi related note, one of my favorite fights in the franchise is GeoGreymon vs Garurumon in Savers. It’s one of the more extended fights in the first cour of the show, Garurumon and GeoGreymon both use multiple attacks, and they manage to make it a good character episode for Masaru and Agumon in general.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
No one, anywhere, is going to praise the action of Adventure

That was my biggest complaint with Tri, that they didn't give us better action scenes. They could have, they just

Didn't seem to know what to do.

Like Adventure had TINY LITTLE MOMENTS that would be really, really cool to see reanimated. War Greymon VS Metal Garurumon, any of the really big fights (except I guess Angemon VS Devimon but that's purely because there's not a whole lot to add) the beat down on Puppetmon

But Adventure also barely had enough budget to feed it's animators. I'm still not sure it DID feed most of its animators. So most of the fights were just Stock Footage, and maybe have the character models floating around.

It's what made the few moments of actual movement so memorable.

02 undoubtedly had better individual fights, just by dent of Magnamon VS Kimeramon and War Greymon VS Black War Greymon. Those are the two stand outs and they're both way better animated than just about any extended fight in Adventure. But again, Adventure had a budget of about pizza and music.

Tamers is the first show to have consistently good animated fights. Frontier would have the best of the Original Run of Digimon (as in, when they were coming out back to back, of which Frontier was the last one) but then Frontier decided that their fight scenes would be "The heroes get the poo poo kicked out of them for 20 episodes in a row" so they kind of lost that crown.

The fact that Savers, made WAY later, has much better action is of no surprise.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I love Savers but it’s actually the series to suffer from budget problems the most. Like there are some standout fights but a lot of them at the start at least are also “GeoGreymon finishes off the MOTW quickly.” And they never really use Sunflowmon much.

I think the series takes until the Ultimates show up for the fights to even out and be consistently elaborate, but the budget still rears it’s ugly head, so not all of them look very great. But at the very least they seemed pretty concerned with making each fight pretty physical most of the time.

Ironically, some of the best fights in the series are in XW. Shame about the rest of the show falling apart.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

drrockso20 posted:

Heck I'm fairly sure I've read that the regular Armor Evolutions(and not the Gold ones) in 02 are supposed to be noticeably weaker than most proper Adult stage Digimon, which is why they become mostly useless once we get past the Digimon Kaiser arc outside of the fact that Patamon and Gatomon can more readily use their Armor Evolutions, and that occasionally RaiDramon and Submarimon are useful for transportation reasons

This is generally how it seems to work, and kind of anomalously for Digimon it works pretty consistently. Thus Fladramon is weaker than XVmon because XVmon is a proper adult, and the Digmon from Savers is stronger than the Drimogemon it evolved from and either GeoGreymon or Gaogamon individually. Gold Armor forms are stronger, but not hugely so it would seem. Magnamon still got slapped around a lot by Chimeramon, and in movie 3 both Magnamon and Gold Rapidmon didn't put up a very impressive showing against Cherubimon. I tend to think of Armor forms as being about half a stage stronger than usual and golden armor forms as one and a half stages stronger than usual, but like most things in Digimon really they work as well as they're established to be in the media they appear in.

Burkion posted:

Action Stuff

Going even further from this Digimon in generally has continuously improved their fights as its gone forward. I have REAL problems with Xros Wars, but it had a lot of good and interesting fights and gimmicks. I like almost nothing in and around the show the show, but it had a knack for style and action presentation. Appmon also had some real great action, all the major villains except maybe Mienumon had some real good action, CG or no.

Tri's action is probably better in general than Adventure or 02, the problem is that it doesn't hold a candle to Savers, Xros Wars, or Appmon. And Appmon was airing concurrently to half of it, so it's really noticeable when stuff like the fight with Charismon (my vote for best animated fight in the franchise) airs in juxtaposition to an actual film release that still has fairly mediocre action.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Speaking of good fights, another bit of Savers that has some of the best action in the franchise is the Savers movie. Like, the actual plot of the movie is nothing to write home about, but the Child Digimon versus the Goblimon and Ogremon? Lalamon and the sausage nunchucks? Masaru jumping off a BUILDING to knock Algomon on his rear end? It's got sheer spectacle down and even while the plot is thinner than tissue paper I still find myself enjoying the hell out of it every time I watch it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

Speaking of good fights, another bit of Savers that has some of the best action in the franchise is the Savers movie. Like, the actual plot of the movie is nothing to write home about, but the Child Digimon versus the Goblimon and Ogremon? Lalamon and the sausage nunchucks? Masaru jumping off a BUILDING to knock Algomon on his rear end? It's got sheer spectacle down and even while the plot is thinner than tissue paper I still find myself enjoying the hell out of it every time I watch it.

No kidding. Activate Burst Mode! is genuinely a visual spectacle even if plot-wise it's a complete mess and it makes no sense even counting it as non-canon. Lots of really neatly animated moments, pretty good designs overall, the whole thing is very watchable for spectacle alone.

I still don't get what the gently caress they were thinking with Rhythm though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They included a moderately famous voice actress to sell tickets and didn't want to decrease her marketability by turning her into a monster. That's the long and short of it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nodosaur posted:

They included a moderately famous voice actress to sell tickets and didn't want to decrease her marketability by turning her into a monster. That's the long and short of it.

That suddenly puts a lot of that movie into perspective for me. That makes a lot of sense.

Digimon feels like the absolute worst possible franchise for this kind of thought though, considering what girl monsters tend to look like (Rosemon, Angewomon, Beautymon, etc).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think that sort of character was what they were really going for with Rhythm, to be honest.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Speaking of Tailmon, wtf is her evolution path so inconsistent? I like Magnadramon more than Ophanimon cause femAngemon is boring, but:

Dog->Cat->Angel->Dragon

The other partner Digimons meanwhile:

Tiny Rex->Big Rex->Mecha Rex->Knight Rex
Tiny Rex?(wtf happened here)->Wolf->Werewolf->Mecha Wolf
Bird->Bigger Bird->Bird Person->Phoenix
Ladybug->Rhino Beetle->Atlas Beetle->Hercules Beetle
Plant->Cactus->Lily->Rose
Seal->Walrus->Angry Thor Cosplay Walrus->Pissed Off Viking Walrus
Flying Pig?->Angel->Archangel->Seraph

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 12, 2018

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tailmon's "theme" is holy creatures, not so much a single type of being. It's not really inconsistent when looked at that way.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

lezard_valeth posted:

Speaking of Tailmon, wtf is her evolution path so inconsistent? I like Magnadramon more than Ophanimon cause femAngemon is boring, but:

Dog->Cat->Angel->Dragon

The other partner Digimons meanwhile:

Tiny Rex->Big Rex->Mecha Rex->Knight Rex
Tiny Rex?(wtf happened here)->Wolf->Werewolf->Mecha Wolf
Bird->Bigger Bird->Bird Person->Phoenix
Ladybug->Rhino Beetle->Atlas Beetle->Hercules Beetle
Plant->Cactus->Lily->Rose
Seal->Walrus->Angry Thor Cosplay Walrus->Pissed Off Viking Walrus
Flying Pig?->Angel->Archangel->Seraph

Gabumon's pelt is explicitly that of a Garurumon, so basically it's like he becomes his costume when he evolves

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

drrockso20 posted:

Gabumon's pelt is explicitly that of a Garurumon, so basically it's like he becomes his costume when he evolves

Magnadramon sucks btw

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Holydramon and Shakkoumon are the best Digimon ever created

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only good megas are the ones that are cute and pink.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

The only good megas are the ones that are cute and pink.

Say no more.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hadn’t anticipated this, but it would be cowardly to retract my words and I am not a coward.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

are you implying Bacchusmon isn't a good boy

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Digimon Reference Book posted:

It is very caring with a cheerful personality, and gathers Child or Adult Digimon to hold parties day and night. Because it is able to distill any kind of alcohol within its body, it is said that at parties it answers the requests of the Digimon it has befriended and treats them to alcohol

He organizes parties and freely gives booze, he's the best boy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I’m contractually obligated to say he is now.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

“Hello children, please drink this alcohol I made inside my guts”

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

who the hell was joe's girlfriend??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

the girl on the bike from Diablomon Strikes Back